shape
carat
color
clarity

My handmade velvet ring box and cushion halo earrings

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
yanaazul said:
fussykiki, thank you so much for sharing your hard work in reverse-engineering these boxes!

So, like everyone else, I ran out to my local fabric store and nope, no velvet ribbon. The store associate says velvet ribbon is seasonal -- fall/winter. I think a field trip up to Britex is in order, if I can get over my absolute irritation at parking in that part of San Francisco. (Oh, but then I could do a side trip to Lang's Antiques!)

But... I had grosgrain ribbon from another project, and I had fabric scraps. So I give you: Denim Ring Box! :lol:

I'm thrilled, it's so cute, and I'm a jeans and hoodie kind of girl so perhaps denim is more appropriate for me than velvet, ha. The only part I'm not completely satisfied with is the sponge; I used the inner of a kitchen sponge and it was too soft to wrap the ribbon neatly. So I think I'm going to look for a firmer craft foam.

Thanks again, fussykiki! Happy crafting, everyone else!

Beautiful yanaazul! Love your denim version. :love: I am going to make the correct Mrs. Box size too now...just had to get the experimentation out of the way for a slightly larger box and a lid that stays on. Have a fun trip adventure if you go to Britex and Lang's! I would have to fly there to do something like that.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
LuckyKelleyK|1431798512|3877501 said:
_lovesvintage_|1431794552|3877475 said:
LuckyKelleyK said:
Did you guys use little tiny embroidery hoops to do the monogram?

How tiny can those get? I know of them, but did not search to find the smallest size available. So for me, no...I just held the velvet in my hand pulling it as tight as I could between my fingers and then hand embroidered it.

I'm going to try it with a 2.5 inch one. It's the smallest I could find.

Oooh, thanks for the update.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
_lovesvintage_|1431817915|3877592 said:
Beautiful yanaazul! Love your denim version. :love: I am going to make the correct Mrs. Box size too now...just had to get the experimentation out of the way for a slightly larger box and a lid that stays on. Have a fun trip adventure if you go to Britex and Lang's! I would have to fly there to do something like that.

Thanks lovesvintage! I know you were wondering if you could fit a set of engagement ring, wedding ring, eternity band in the regular (very teeny) size box, and I really think you can. Here's another pic of the box I made, from a more top-down angle so you can see the spacing better with two rings -- I'd say there's room to partition the sponges into four, especially if you have a smaller gap between the two bands than between the engagement ring and bands, if that makes sense?

For reference, my rings are size 5.25. The wedding band is 3mm, the center stone is 1.1ct, which in bezel is 6.6mm in diameter. And geez I really need to clean my ring.

*sigh* I love Lang's. Maybe I can pick up a little something to put in the velvet box I'll eventually make? :Up_to_something:

yanaazulbox4.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yanaazul, wow, your box is perfect! It looks really fantastic!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
yanaazul|1431820658|3877605 said:

Thanks lovesvintage! I know you were wondering if you could fit a set of engagement ring, wedding ring, eternity band in the regular (very teeny) size box, and I really think you can. Here's another pic of the box I made, from a more top-down angle so you can see the spacing better with two rings -- I'd say there's room to partition the sponges into four, especially if you have a smaller gap between the two bands than between the engagement ring and bands, if that makes sense?

For reference, my rings are size 5.25. The wedding band is 3mm, the center stone is 1.1ct, which in bezel is 6.6mm in diameter. And geez I really need to clean my ring.

*sigh* I love Lang's. Maybe I can pick up a little something to put in the velvet box I'll eventually make? :Up_to_something:

WoW! Your box is very pretty! I like the denim look! You can order from Britex online. I hate driving and parking at SF too!

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Thanks junebug and fussykiki! This was really fun to make. I've already started tracing out more cardboard so it'll be ready when I get some velvet. Tomorrow is a no-go for a Britex adventure, the Bay-to-Breakers race is tomorrow so street closures across the city, yikes. I know I could order online, but gosh is Britex fun to wander and touch. A whole floor of buttons!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, just another quick question, not sure what I did wrong, but my ring sticks up really high in the box! Everybody else's rings sit lower. I obviously must have measured wrong? My inner liner for the bottom is 1 cm deep - I'm pretty sure that's right? I'll post a pic so you can all have a good laugh, and hopefully tell me what I did wrong! TIA!

img_7959.jpg

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
You know, I meant to mention that. I think the bottom liner squares to cut from each corner is a typo? If the outer measurement of the flattened square is 5.8 cm x 5.8 cm, then cutting 1.1cm squares from each corner would result in a box bottom of 5.8cm - 1.1cm - 1.1cm = 3.6cm on a side. But that obviously is too big to fit in the outer layer. To get to the liner layer size of 2.8cm x 2.8cm (as labeled in the pictures), the squares to cut from each corner should be 1.5cm x 1.5cm. This would then make the liner layer deeper as well.

Step 2 - box liner layer: Cut cardboard pieces in size of 5.8 cm x 5.8 cm then cut a 1.1 cm x 1.1 cm square from each corner (for the bottom) and 5 cm x 5 cm and then cut a 1 cm x 1 cm square from each corner (for the lid).

I wanted my liner to stick up a little more, so I actually went with a 6.4 cm x 6.4 cm square, cutting out 1.8 cm x 1.8 cm from the corners.

Aside from the shallowness, your box looks great, junebug! I know you said you were having trouble, but you ended up getting the velvet and ribbon down really smooth!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
yanaazul said:

Beautiful rings too! I realized I forgot to mention that while replying to you. :) Yeah, I think you could fit three rings if they are thin and around a certain diameter for the engagement ring. I just didn't want the rings to look too crowded and therefore the experimentation! Thanks for taking the other pic for reference. I also will use the measurements you gave for the bottom liner.

Yeah, I only get to browse Lang's online...would love to go there one day. I should plan a trip just to hit the all the antique jewelry hotspots...one state at a time! :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the response Yanaazul! Yes, the only thing I could come up with is to make the inner box deeper, I guess I was confused because everyone else's rings were lower but I thought I followed the directions. I'll make another liner and make it deeper.

My box looks better in the pic than in real life lol! But thanks for the nice words, it guess it doesn't look too bad for a first try.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1431840829|3877683 said:
Ok, just another quick question, not sure what I did wrong, but my ring sticks up really high in the box! Everybody else's rings sit lower. I obviously must have measured wrong? My inner liner for the bottom is 1 cm deep - I'm pretty sure that's right? I'll post a pic so you can all have a good laugh, and hopefully tell me what I did wrong! TIA!

Junebug17, that looks great so far for a first try! Looks better than what I ended up with as seen in the pics I posted. Very smooth looking on the velvet. You have such a great sense of humor! Yanaazul explained it well for you. :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks lovesvintage! To be honest the bottom came out better than the top, I might redo it.

Yeah, it didn't even dawn on me that there was a problem until I put the ring in the box! I might have said a bad word or two hehe

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock

Sorry about the typo. I played around with the measurements and I guess I typed that up incorrectly. I have updated the instructions in my blog already.

Your box looks incredible! Can't wait to see the finished product! I love the color of the velvet. If you able to get non stretch velvet ribbon, it would be easier to make.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this thread. Junebug, still a great box for display purposes though, remember some say the higher the diamond is set the bigger it appears to be. (I know you have a large diamond already though but it will look even bigger :appl: ).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Junie, you made a lovely jewelry box! Really pretty and I love the color you chose. :love:
Very talented! :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Did you put something under the sponges? Thats all I can think of. It look so good though!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yanaazul|1431820658|3877605 said:

Amazing!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah ok, fussykiki, thanks! I''ll make new inner boxes, I've got this now lol…I'm going to redo the top anyway, just for extra practice and to see if I can do it a little better now.

Thank you again for taking the time to do this tutorial, and for sharing it with us. it was a lot of fun to do, I like crafts but have not really found anything I really wanted to do until this - thanks for helping me with it. I'm going to order some velvet ribbon and make some more! I want ones in lots of different colors lol.

Thanks Pyramid, yes, the good thing about my box is my ring looks huge! :cheeky:

Thanks Missy and Niel, it's a bit wonky in some spots but it looks better than I thought it would. I'm going to make some more, I enjoyed doing it.

TrakHack

Rough_Rock
fussykiki, thank you so much for the instructions!

This is my first attempt. My cutting mat is in inches rather than centimetres so I adapted the measurements a bit. I need to fine tune dimensions to get a perfect fit, but I'm happy with how v1.0 turned out. I have my sewing machine tuned for leather, so I did everything with a mini hot glue gun.

_30308.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trakhack, that turned out really great, you did a fantastic job! :appl: Your corners are really good, I have trouble with those.

Yeah, I ended up using some tacky glue I had to help keep the fabric down, and that worked pretty well.

TrakHack

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much - the corners are so hard! Singeing the edges of everything made it much easier.

I love how crafty people are here!

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
My velvet ribbon arrived! It's very nice for the price and I love the bright colors. Soft, but definitely not mrs box quality.

_30311.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are really pretty colors luckykelley! I ordered a light blue and a dusty rose today.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
LuckyKelleyK|1431908574|3877898 said:
My velvet ribbon arrived! It's very nice for the price and I love the bright colors. Soft, but definitely not mrs box quality.

Lovely colors. I have a similar blue color ribbon at home too. Going to make a blue one and a grey one when I have time. Gosh, I should be sewing sleeping bags for my babies in the past week, but got hooked with the ring boxes. Bad mom.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LuckyKelleyK|1431568825|3876393 said:
junebug17|1431568338|3876386 said:
Oooh, very pretty LuckyKelley!
Do you mind sharing the company you got the velvet from?
Sure! It's ribbonretreat.com I got a yard of each velvet plus 5 yards of each matching grosgrain ribbon (those were the minimums) for less than 10 dollars after shipping. They have 30 colors of velvet. Hope it's nice! Eta the ribbon is all 1.5 inch.

D'oh, I managed to miss this! Thanks very much LuckyKelley, am off to check it out.

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
395.jpg

first attempt, looks ok but does not close well. I made mine 4*4

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
At this speed, Mrs. Box may go out of business soon.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppyguts|1431943702|3877976 said:
395.jpg

first attempt, looks ok but does not close well. I made mine 4*4

Puppyguts, that looks great!!! Mine doesn't fit together that well either lol - I don't think I was careful enough with measuring when I made the box frames, my top is a little bigger than the bottom.

Your sponges fit in very nicely, I had a hard time getting mine to look ok.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fussykiki|1431918963|3877948 said:
LuckyKelleyK|1431908574|3877898 said:

Lovely colors. I have a similar blue color ribbon at home too. Going to make a blue one and a grey one when I have time. Gosh, I should be sewing sleeping bags for my babies in the past week, but got hooked with the ring boxes. Bad mom.

Fussykiki, I haven't gotten a thing done around my house since I've been making this haha! My kitchen table looks like a craft store exploded. I'm a little obsessed right now with making these, looking forward to trying new colors.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Great job TrakHack and puppyguts! Awesome first attempts. Love seeing all of the different fabric choices and color combinations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results