shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone experienced having sticky residue on your pearls?

raindrops on roses

Rough_Rock
So, I've noticed some sticky residue on the pearl necklaces that I own. I purchased them a couple of years back from PP, and haven't worn them in a while. I tried wiping them down with a damp microfibre cloth, but it seems like the residue isn't that easy to remove. Has anyone ever experienced this? I've really no idea what could have caused it - they've just been sitting in the jewellery box! It's so sad that the pearls aren't as lustrous as they used to be...

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Lotions? Sunscreens?

I've heard that some of the anti-tarnish jewelry treatments are bad for pearls.

Or, are they stored in plastic? Plastic baggies are bad for pearls.

Pearls can be washed. I've used that Dr. Bronner's baby mild liquid castile soap. The strands take a few days to dry, and I wouldn't recommend more than one wash.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whimsyglory, does your house have hard water by any chance? If so, avoid washing the pearls with soapy water (including Dr. Bronner's) unless you are using bottled water to wash and to rinse them. This is because the minerals in hard water will combine with soap to form a scum that will dull the pearls.

Now that I think of it, PP includes a packet with the pearls they sell that includes soapy towlettes to clean your pearls. Did you try using that?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Most all of mine are stored in the boxes they came in from PP. None of them are sticky, but just like they were when I got them. Are you storing them clean each time? My pearls only date back 9 years from PP.

raindrops on roses

Rough_Rock
ennui & nacrelover: i've always stored them in the original boxes that they came in from PP... it's quite perplexing... my only guess is perspiration or sebum from my body, but then again, i've only worn them a few times and wiped them down each time with a dry cloth after wearing

pearlsandgems: yes i've used the moistened towelettes that PP provides, and it helped a little... seems like the residue is pretty stubborn! think i'd really have to sit down one day and give them a thorough cleaning.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Could you have accidentally sprayed hairspray while wearing them? Or even some other hair care product?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I live in the deep south of the United States. It's hot and humid here and I usually wear mine against bare skin. I don't wear moisturizer or sunscreen since I don't go out in the sun much. I do notice that after wearing them for a day or two, the surface of the pearls is gritty and dull from perspiration and body oils. I find it's very easy to clean off with a wash cloth moistened with water.
I rarely have to wash them in water with Dr. Bonner soap since this cleans them up so well.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought-- do you wear them while cooking? I find that over time surfaces in my kitchen develop a sticky residue from the vaporized molecules of what is being cooked. I don't like to wear pearls while cooking.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine get sticky from sunscreen (I try to cover all exposed skin with it in the summer time).

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
So did you try any of the suggestions? I'd be interested to know how this worked out for you. Very strange. I've had pearls sitting around for several years and never had anything like this occur?

raindrops on roses

Rough_Rock
Pirard and pearlsngems and cmd2014: I don't cook/ use any hair products/ apply sunscreen on my chest area (where the necklace would rest)

Nacrelover: the weather where I'm at is also very humid and hot, so perspiration is a possible culprit!

katbran: I'm going to purchase dr bronner's soap and see if that helps. Fingers crossed!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good luck ! I find it all quite odd. You might consider asking on the other site ... they might have an idea. Lot's of pearl professionals over there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results