shape
carat
color
clarity

Should my wife add "beads" to her ring?

pricescoperocks

Rough_Rock
My wife just bought a size 5 ring and the sizing seems right, she can't go smaller, but it turns on her hand a lot which hides the diamonds. The jewelry shop says they can add beads to the ring so that it doesn't rotate. Is that a good idea? Any drawbacks to doing this?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like her ring is spinning? Maybe it's just something that she needs to get used to for a while?
Are you sure that it's the proper size? I had a spinning ring and I had it sized down 1/4 of a size, which doesn't seem like much, but it keeps the ring in place. I was cautioned against sizing beads because some people find them to be irritating/uncomfortable and I'm glad that I chose to size down instead. They do work for some people though.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring has pave 3/4 of the way around the band. The jeweler wasn't comfortable sizing the ring down for fear I would lose stones. I opted for the sizing beads. They have never bothered me and definitely stopped the ring from spinning. I have also heard a few women say they could not get used to the beads and that they were bothered by them, as Momhappy stated. Sizing beads are easily removed if she doesn't like them and they may be a perfect solution. I have never regretted getting them.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^My ring had pave on the band and the jeweler had no issues resizing it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have sizing beads on one of my diamond bands and it is very comfortable for me. The ring doesn't spin and I am not even aware of them. They are easy to remove if she decides they are not comfortable so it may be the least invasive course of action to see if they would work for her vs resizing. My fingers fluctuate with the weather so the sizing beads allow the ring to fit comfortably no matter if it is hot or cold whereas sizing the ring itself would mean the ring would be tight in summer and loose in winter for me.

Attaching a closeup of my platinum sizing beads.

Good luck.

_30188.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^That's true - sizing beads are easy to remove, so if you decided to give them a shot, you can always have them removed if she doesn't like them. Good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On one of my earlier rings, the sizing beads bothered me every time I carried something in my hand. Another jeweller suggested flattening the beads so that they are less rounded (flatter and squishier profile) which I went with and found it more comfortable to wear.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1431479412|3875811 said:

Now you have me wondering Momhappy. The jeweler made it seem as if I would have problems if they sized the ring. It is probably just as well that they used the sizing beads. My finger size fluctuates a lot from winter to summer.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never had issues with sizing beads. I have a much larger knuckle than finger and I would have to size my rings for my knuckle, not my finger. That meant all my rings spun like CRAZY. The beads never bothered me at all. Never even felt them.

pricescoperocks

Rough_Rock
Would you get sizing beads for a ring that is just a band with diamonds all the way around? There is no reason to keep a particular part of the ring facing upward, but maybe it's nice to keep it from spinning anyway?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1431541702|3876167 said:

Now you have me wondering Momhappy. The jeweler made it seem as if I would have problems if they sized the ring. It is probably just as well that they used the sizing beads. My finger size fluctuates a lot from winter to summer.

The first question a bench jeweler asks is are we increasing or decreasing the size? Incremental or a big increase/decrease?

Decreasing the size is a problem for channel set, bead set, illusion set, and most bezels.

Increasing the size is less problematic.

It depends on the integration of the band versus the setting of the stone/s.

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
I love mine and its helped greatly with the ring not turning (big knuckle and skinny fingers). I think the placement and size of the beads does have a large impact on the comfort of them.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
pricescoperocks|1431553637|3876246 said:
Would you get sizing beads for a ring that is just a band with diamonds all the way around? There is no reason to keep a particular part of the ring facing upward, but maybe it's nice to keep it from spinning anyway?
Yes to make sure it doesn't bang on anything.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1431541702|3876167 said:

My ring was originally designed/made by BE and shipped to me. When I learned that it was top heavy (and spun terribly on my finger), I went to two of my local jewelers to discuss my options. Both jewelers said that they would have no issue resizing the ring (even with the pave), but they both recommended that I discuss it with the original jeweler first in an effort to avoid voiding a warranty. I ended up sending the ring back to BE to be resized. I tend to think that most competent jewelers can resize even when pave is involved.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My former ER was "top heavy" and moved on my finger. I inquired about sizing beads , but a jeweller recommended raising the (inner) shank instead of beads.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results