shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge Spinel Help Requested

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds brought me to PS, but I've stayed and lurked in the CS forum. I am so intrigued by colored gems, and I have so much respect for all of the wisdom in this part of the forum. :appl:

I have been on the hunt for an oval shape, red spinel for quite some time. Yesterday, I stumbled upon this video of a new stone minutes after it was published:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_OfjrJtOyA

I contacted Jim right away, and here are the details he provided about this stone:

The stone is 7.3 mm x 5.8 mm x 4.2 mm. It was re-cut by Dan Stair. Brilliance all over the place. No brown in any lighting. It glows in fluorescent, which the picture I'll send you is taken in. The video was taken in fluorescent, natural daylight shining through my office window, & incandescent. Great stone.

Here's the photo he attached:

_30225.jpg

My plan is to set the spinel in a micropave halo setting. It will be a RHR. Something like this:

_30225_0.jpg

My preference would be to have a stone that is more red than pink. I want red to be the dominant color. I know that is difficult to find without having lots of money to spend, so I don't know if this stone qualifies based on the image and video. The price for this stone is around $2k. So, I would like the experts to chime in and let me know if they think this stone is a good buy at this price point, coupled with my wants. I don't need "the best" spinel, but I want something that has a great combination of color, cut, and saturation, and is (mostly) red. I am not versed enough to know if this is it. I do have an inspection/return period, but I would like expert advice from the PS community before (potentially) wasting Jim's time.

Thanks in advance for your input, insights, and assistance. =)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'll preface this with the fact that you said you were not looking for "the best" just a good one. I would say this qualifies. It seems impossible to get any of the old material these days, the really pure vivid red Mahenge, but that said, this stone in the video appears redder than others I've seen recently. It is a bit hard to tell what it will really look like in various situations since he has such mixed lighting in the video, but it seems to tick your boxes so in my opinion it would be silly not to get it and check it out. I personally like the stone and think you've done well if it looks like that in hand.

Also, fwiw, you don't come across precision cut Mahenges all that often. :))

katharath

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1431621617|3876722 said:
So I'll preface this with the fact that you said you were not looking for "the best" just a good one. I would say this qualifies. It seems impossible to get any of the old material these days, the really pure vivid red Mahenge, but that said, this stone in the video appears redder than others I've seen recently. It is a bit hard to tell what it will really look like in various situations since he has such mixed lighting in the video, but it seems to tick your boxes so in my opinion it would be silly not to get it and check it out. I personally like the stone and think you've done well if it looks like that in hand.

Also, fwiw, you don't come across precision cut Mahenges all that often. :))

I agree with everything Minous said here.

I think this one deserves a look. I follow the mahenge market pretty much all of the time, and his pricing seems in line with what I would expect to pay for this gem (provided it meets your expectations based on pics/video/description). Also I'll add that based on my past experience with Jim, his gems actually tend to look better in person than his pics show. He's an honest vendor and nice to deal with.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the above posters; it isn't the best but you aren't looking for the best anyway. It is still a beautiful stone with good colouration and is very well cut. Does it have fluoro and how does it look under the dreaded fluorescent lights?

Gemajames

Shiny_Rock
Welcome GCGDanielle! I cannot speak of Jim personally, but have been on the hunt for a red spinel myself. I actually found two from Michael at Gem Line. The cushion is screaming red and was my Mother's Day present from my dear husband. It's smaller at 1.16 ct, but is the perfect red to me. The oval was one listed on the site as cherry red, but does have a slight pink tone to it. It's 2.07 ct. Both were described as Burmese though and not mahenge. Not sure if that matters to you, but you may want to inquire with Michael. He is a great guy and I've purchased several beauties from him. Excuse the lint, but this photo shows the colors best.

_30225.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with what has already been said. It's a nice looking stone with a decent colour. It doesn't have the neon quality of a Mahenge that lots of people want but it's a lovely colour. One question you need to ask is how it performs in all lighting conditions and whether it blacks out at all.

Definitely worth getting for a look.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Good, but not great, it's priced "great" though. For that price I'd expect it to pop, it doesn't pop in the video or the picture.

PrimaGems quoted me a while back on this stone, it's as good, not spectacular but very nice, 1.19 oval $1072.50, $900.00 ppc.

getattachment_7.jpg

spine_.jpg

I suspect the stone you're interested in is around the $1200.00 ppc mark, for that price I'd want higher quality.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks to be an orangy red, so if you don't mind orange as a secondary color, it should fit the bill. I hope the color shift doesn't go brownish.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just another idea . its got orange undertones, and I got it home and doesn't look exactly like the photo...but you said you want one thats mostly red, oval, well cut, and you're on a budget, so I thought I'd share my photos of it. I also think he would take an offer if you emailed him. This also has orange. But again, could probably get this almost half the price of that one. I sis return it as I was unhappy with the color, but I was just expecting it to look like the vendor photo.

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jul14BSpinelPage.htm

imag3323_1.jpg

imag3324_1.jpg

imag3352_1.jpg

imag3337_1_1.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1431631591|3876793 said:
Just another idea . its got orange undertones, and I got it home and doesn't look exactly like the photo...but you said you want one thats mostly red, oval, well cut, and you're on a budget, so I thought I'd share my photos of it. I also think he would take an offer if you emailed him. This also has orange. But again, could probably get this almost half the price of that one. I sis return it as I was unhappy with the color, but I was just expecting it to look like the vendor photo.

Huh, I really thought this one would be a stunner IRL and I've posted it on PS a few times... I'm sorry it didn't fit your expectations.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1431635785|3876817 said:

Huh, I really thought this one would be a stunner IRL and I've posted it on PS a few times... I'm sorry it didn't fit your expectations.
Yeah. I mean, if it looked like my last picture all the time I'd have never let it go, but thats just it at its best.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but wondering too if for such a pricey stone, would you have this certified by a lab? And which lab? $2000 for a spinel to me is a lot of money, so I would definitely spend another$60-100 to get it certified.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This stone doesn't appear to fluoresce in direct sun and it's very brown.

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Crazie4Cuts|1431652001|3876915 said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but wondering too if for such a pricey stone, would you have this certified by a lab? And which lab? $2000 for a spinel to me is a lot of money, so I would definitely spend another$60-100 to get it certified.

AGL and GIA are perfect if you are in the US.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL brief will do.

Niel,
Even at its best, the colour doesn't look as good as Brad's picture. Sorry about the disappointment and I would send it back too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1431689368|3877017 said:
AGL brief will do.

Niel,
Even at its best, the colour doesn't look as good as Brad's picture. Sorry about the disappointment and I would send it back too.

I don't even like it in Brad's picture, way too brown. Yes, sorry about the disappointment, and you should return it. At least his photo doesn't show some neon glowing red stone, and you receive a brick red gem.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GCGDanielle|1431621096|3876714 said:
Diamonds brought me to PS, but I've stayed and lurked in the CS forum. I am so intrigued by colored gems, and I have so much respect for all of the wisdom in this part of the forum. :appl:

I have been on the hunt for an oval shape, red spinel for quite some time. Yesterday, I stumbled upon this video of a new stone minutes after it was published:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_OfjrJtOyA

I contacted Jim right away, and here are the details he provided about this stone:

The stone is 7.3 mm x 5.8 mm x 4.2 mm. It was re-cut by Dan Stair. Brilliance all over the place. No brown in any lighting. It glows in fluorescent, which the picture I'll send you is taken in. The video was taken in fluorescent, natural daylight shining through my office window, & incandescent. Great stone.

Here's the photo he attached:

_30225.jpg

My plan is to set the spinel in a micropave halo setting. It will be a RHR. Something like this:

_30225_0.jpg

My preference would be to have a stone that is more red than pink. I want red to be the dominant color. I know that is difficult to find without having lots of money to spend, so I don't know if this stone qualifies based on the image and video. The price for this stone is around $2k. So, I would like the experts to chime in and let me know if they think this stone is a good buy at this price point, coupled with my wants. I don't need "the best" spinel, but I want something that has a great combination of color, cut, and saturation, and is (mostly) red. I am not versed enough to know if this is it. I do have an inspection/return period, but I would like expert advice from the PS community before (potentially) wasting Jim's time.

Thanks in advance for your input, insights, and assistance. =)

This thread is very confusing because other stones have been posted and I can't keep up with what's been happening!!!! Sooooo, did you decide to go ahead with this stone?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1431690467|3877022 said:
AGL brief will do.

Niel,

I don't even like it in Brad's picture, way too brown. Yes, sorry about the disappointment, and you should return it. At least his photo doesn't show some neon glowing red stone, and you receive a brick red gem.

Well I did actually love it in his photo, so it was disappointing. Either way , it went back.

Ive resolved not to buy anymore stones from him as none have appeared as good as the photos.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1431693055|3877035 said:
TL|1431690467|3877022 said:
AGL brief will do.

Niel,

Well I did actually love it in his photo, so it was disappointing. Either way , it went back.

Ive resolved not to buy anymore stones from him as none have appeared as good as the photos.

That's the first complaint I heard about Brad's photos. In any case, it's something to keep in mind, thanks for your honest opinion. Sorry again.

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your advice and opinions, as well as the alternative stone options.

I hadn't thought of getting the stone lab-certified, so thanks for pointing that out. If I go with the AGL Brief, would I send it directly or ask Jim to send it or how should that work exactly?

As I was compiling my questions to Jim, I received some additional pieces of information from him (I really love his style; he's kind and helpful):

I did the GIA Gemset on it earlier, & it is Medium light toned red. GIA Gemset R 4/4 - Moderately strong saturation. What that means is it is a pure red, just not vivid, but not grayish either. Pink is red, but a less saturated red.

There is no orange in this stone to my eyes. It does not brown out in any lighting I've seen it in. It becomes more red in my florescent lighting. You could call it a glow. It is very brilliant

Funny enough, one of things I do with some stones is take them to the Super Market with me, just see what they look like in those lights. The stone glowed a nice red! Very nice. We've had rain today too, so I looked at it with cloud cover. Once again, red.

Just letting you know, because I want to be thorough. I'd rate this Spinel a 8 out of 10. Of course, that is subjective, & once again, I think you'll have to make the final decision.

I think with these added pieces of information, I am going to go ahead and order it and see if it speaks to me in person. I just have to be strong and tell myself that I will return it if I don't like it. I am awful with returns. I end up feeling badly and too many times keep something I don't love because I feel obligated. Jim assures me that there will be no hard feelings, but I know how I am. I guess I have to get used to returns if I'm going to venture into the land of CS! :D

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you'll love it in real life. Please share photos when it arrives. :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its definitely worth a shot - good thing you are ordering it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GCGDanielle|1431702281|3877078 said:
Thank you everyone for your advice and opinions, as well as the alternative stone options.

I hadn't thought of getting the stone lab-certified, so thanks for pointing that out. If I go with the AGL Brief, would I send it directly or ask Jim to send it or how should that work exactly?

As I was compiling my questions to Jim, I received some additional pieces of information from him (I really love his style; he's kind and helpful):

I did the GIA Gemset on it earlier, & it is Medium light toned red. GIA Gemset R 4/4 - Moderately strong saturation. What that means is it is a pure red, just not vivid, but not grayish either. Pink is red, but a less saturated red.

There is no orange in this stone to my eyes. It does not brown out in any lighting I've seen it in. It becomes more red in my florescent lighting. You could call it a glow. It is very brilliant

Funny enough, one of things I do with some stones is take them to the Super Market with me, just see what they look like in those lights. The stone glowed a nice red! Very nice. We've had rain today too, so I looked at it with cloud cover. Once again, red.

Just letting you know, because I want to be thorough. I'd rate this Spinel a 8 out of 10. Of course, that is subjective, & once again, I think you'll have to make the final decision.

I think with these added pieces of information, I am going to go ahead and order it and see if it speaks to me in person. I just have to be strong and tell myself that I will return it if I don't like it. I am awful with returns. I end up feeling badly and too many times keep something I don't love because I feel obligated. Jim assures me that there will be no hard feelings, but I know how I am. I guess I have to get used to returns if I'm going to venture into the land of CS! :D

You should never ever feel bad about returns. If a dealer doesn't want to accept returns, then he/she doesn't deserve your business.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results