shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting pearl drilled/mounted?

Hazey

Rough_Rock
I have a gray tone saltwater pearl that I just inherited, problem is, it is not drilled or set in any mounting. Are there any trusted pearl "driller/setters" that anyone can recommend? I can purchase a mounting and mail that and the pearl to someone to set it. I am having trouble finding anyone that offers this service either locally or online, just a lot of people trying to sell me pearls from their own stock.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Have you talked to the bench jeweler in your area? Half drills are not hard to do with the equipment most jeweler a have at the bench. This will save you shipping charges both directions. Otherwise anyone on the trusted pearl seller list above can half drill it for you.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I had a loose Tahitian that a friend brought me from their vacation. It sat for several years. I found an enhancer finding that I liked on PP, and sent them the pearl to drill and set. The drilling was inexpensive. I did have to sign a waiver in case the pearl cracked.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
nacrelover is correct, a good bench jeweler should be able to drill a pearl and have it set...and if you have some old jewelry laying around, you may be able to modify an existing mounting to accept the pearl. And for a suggestion, have you seen the octopus pendants that nacrelover, ennui, and others have posted? Maybe an option for your pearl??

Hazey

Rough_Rock
There are very few actual jewelers around here, just a lot of box retail chain stores. I'll look around a bit more. I have not decided on a setting but wanted to do a necklace in white gold.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Call around and find out who does repair work in house. If they also do custom, that is the one you want.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a substantial difference in the tools/skills needed to full drill vs half drill? Any suggestions on how to identify someone who might be able to do this?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The people that full drill have the Machine and the holder so the pearl drillhole is straight and centered. I've had them half drilled by a jeweler holding it in his fingers using his work drill at the bench. The first way is optimal the second will work.
Your average bench jeweler will not own this machine since they don't have much call for drilling pearls.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks NL -- cool pics! Sounds like if I want full drill holes I should either have them done by the vendor or make sure I thoroughly check out the setup anywhere local that claims they can drill pearls. While it seems like there should be such a place (at least open to the trade) on the street here, very few jewelers seem to have a large selection of pearls.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
with a half drill the hole just has to go down into the pearl. for a full drill it has to be perfectly aligned to meet up with a drill hole coming from the right place exactly opposite. you just can't drill right through because the exit hole will be a fractury mess (a bit like my right arm at thr moment)

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Most jewelers will bring the pearls in already drilled, made into jewelry or strung. There is no need for this drill.

nutmeg2000

Rough_Rock
The people that full drill have the Machine and the holder so the pearl drillhole is straight and centered. I've had them half drilled by a jeweler holding it in his fingers using his work drill at the bench. The first way is optimal the second will work.
Your average bench jeweler will not own this machine since they don't have much call for drilling pearls.

Do you know if Pearl Paradise will half drill pearls purchased from my trip to Tahiti?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know if Pearl Paradise will half drill pearls purchased from my trip to Tahiti?

Yes, they probably will. I've spoken with them about drilling pealrs and they were responsive and nice (haven't sent them stuff yet but likely will soon)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They have drilled outside pearls for me, but they obviously will not take liability when working on pearls purchased elsewhere.

Talk with them. Likely depends on number/type/size of what you’ve got.

nutmeg2000

Rough_Rock
They have drilled outside pearls for me, but they obviously will not take liability when working on pearls purchased elsewhere.

Talk with them. Likely depends on number/type/size of what you’ve got.

No worries about liability. Do I just call their store or is there a better way to contact them? I have about 24 pearls, 18 round and 6 drop that are 8mm to 12mm. Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes you can call! Or chat using the website chat function! They’re very responsive on both!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results