shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA recalling some reports!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This just dropped into my inbox. Although it's to do with diamonds, I know that we, in the CS forum, are very keen to know what's happening with labs and treatments.

Rapaport Trade Alert

May 12, 2015 … The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) has issued a laboratory alert recalling 424 diamond grading reports. The diamonds were treated with a process that temporarily improved their color by up to three grades. A full list of the grading report numbers and the companies that submitted the diamonds to GIA are listed below as part of the GIA alert.

The GIA has “terminated submissions” from the following clients who submitted treated diamonds without disclosure: LYE Diamonds, E.G.S.D. Diamonds, Abramov Romok and Yair Matatov. Pending further investigation, RapNet and the Rapaport Group has suspended service to these companies and to the following individuals are believed to be associated with the companies: Nati Yizrov, Gavriel Yelizarov and Yair Matatov. RapNet will also delist all diamonds with recalled grading reports and will be contacting those listing such stones for sale.

Members of the trade that have access to such reports are asked to urgently email us at [email protected]. If the reports are in their possession they should cut them in half. The diamonds and the canceled reports may be sent to GIA for expedited free re-grading service. They may also be delivered to Rapaport offices in Israel, India and Belgium for this free service.

Buyers should be careful not to buy these diamonds based on the GIA grading reports and sellers should not sell the diamonds with these grading reports. The best course of action is to cut the canceled grading reports in half and return the diamond to the supplier against a full refund. If any RapNet members have difficulty returning diamonds, please email [email protected].

Additional information and updates about this Trade Alert will be posted on Diamonds.Net

Below is the full text of the GIA Laboratory Alert followed by the grading report numbers.

GIA Laboratory Alert

May 12, 2015 -- GIA reasonably suspects that approximately 500 colorless to near colorless diamonds submitted primarily to our laboratory in Israel potentially were subjected to an undisclosed temporary treatment.

GIA believes that the treatment is a process that temporarily masks the inherent color of the diamond and can lead to a higher grade. The color difference can be as much as three grades. GIA has not yet identified the treatment process, but this is being actively researched. At this time, the diamonds treated in this way have been submitted by just a few clients.

Report numbers with this suspected treatment are listed below and we ask anyone who has purchased or holds these diamonds to please re-submit them to any GIA location for review. GIA will expedite the service, and no fee will be assessed. We have terminated submissions from the clients who have submitted these diamonds to GIA and have notified the appropriate trade bodies.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for posting the information here LD.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
They suddenly suspect this after doing 500 stones? :confused:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eastjavaman|1431596772|3876522 said:

This is a guess but I wonder if some of the stones were sold and the jeweller and/or customer looked at the colour of the diamond and compared it to the report and thought the GIA had gone mad so they re-submitted to the GIA? If a number of customers did that then that would explain how GIA were alerted and then they probably tracked back as to who originally submitted the stones and then that would give them a heads up as to how many stones might be affected. All a guess though but it would make sense!!!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, LD!!!

SOO difficult to buy diamonds today and this is only the beginning...

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
eastjavaman|1431596772|3876522 said:
It takes a little bit of time to catch new treatments sometimes. Remember the Be diffusion in sapphires? First warning came in october 2001; then a huge quantity of Be treated sapphires appeared on the marked around november 2001. While heat treatment was immediately detected; the actual knowledge that the stones were Be diffused came out in january 2002 (with an AGTA alert).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the notification, LD. As always, new treatment methods are several steps ahead of lab discovery/detection. :knockout:

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for posting LD and letting us all know. It's amazing to me that there's so much deception in the industry, though I suppose it shouldn't given the $$$ in play. Good grief, it's a jungle out there.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Good grief, what next? : (

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1431600575|3876549 said:
Thank you, LD!!!

SOO difficult to buy diamonds today and this is only the beginning...

Not just diamonds unfortunately. :knockout: This is sad news, but thanks for posting it LD.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Many treatments are not bad if the buyer is paying a fair price and knows the extent of the treatment but a treatment like this is just deception.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL, you are right!

On a another gemological forum which is online they think it could be some kind of "coating".

Maybe GIA noticed this kind of treatment or a customer - I am sure GIA will "clean" them now.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1431636149|3876820 said:
TL, you are right!

On a another gemological forum which is online they think it could be some kind of "coating".

Maybe GIA noticed this kind of treatment or a customer - I am sure GIA will "clean" them now.

Surely that doesn't make sense? Wouldn't it make more sense that it was a type of radiation that wears off - a bit like Kunzite and how it can fade after irradiation. In the wording they say that they can't identify what's happened to the stones - surely they could identify a coating??????

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1431636636|3876822 said:
Marlow|1431636149|3876820 said:
TL, you are right!

Surely that doesn't make sense? Wouldn't it make more sense that it was a type of radiation that wears off - a bit like Kunzite and how it can fade after irradiation. In the wording they say that they can't identify what's happened to the stones - surely they could identify a coating??????

I don't know - I agree that some kind of irradiation was my first thought too.

Maybe only some diamond fade back after irradition - in Kunzite it is not the irradiation, it is kunzite ( spodumen) which is responsible that irradiation is not permanent.

We will see...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting this LD.

This precisely why I insisted Leibish send this green OEC round diamond back to GIA prior to me wiring funds.

Its GIA report was (IIRC) 4 years old and the price was quite substantial for my income.
I couldn't take a chance.
I wanted to be certain that any new radiation treatment didn't slip by GIA eyes before they detected such new treatment.
I totally trusted Leibish ... but this was about the short timeframe during which crooks MAY outsmart GIA, as demonstrated in your link.

To Lebish's credit they agreed graciously and immediately.
The new report still indicated color was of natural origin.
With four years elapsed time for GIA to spot any fresh treatment I felt very confident the origin of the green really was natural.

I recommend you consider having the vendor resubmit the stone when considering the purchase of a costly stone with a 'stale' lab report, and/or a stone where treatments are a big concern and a major factor in the price.

screen_shot_2015-05-19_at_4.png

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
This green diamond - is there a natural ( girdle?)???

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1432092696|3878830 said:
This green diamond - is there a natural ( girdle?)???
Yes, a few.
This is the largest one.
Notice the brown radiation stains left from the original skin.

screen_shot_2015-05-19_at_9.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results