shape
carat
color
clarity

New to colored stones, is this acceptable inclusion?

ElizaBear

Rough_Rock
I purchased this ring online and I absolutely love it. About half of the stone has clear inclusions that are visible to the naked eye if you hold a light up to it, but with indoor and outdoor light it is not very noticeable. There is one inclusion pretty close to one edge, I have read about feathering and whether or not it could cause breakage. I am not looking for a perfect stone, I think this one looks wonderful when I am not holding a light up to it, but I want to make sure the stone is in pretty good shape. Any thoughts? Sorry up close pic are not that great.

img_4133.jpg
img_4127.jpg img_4125.jpg
Outside
11253802_10102220405222087_1441293534_n.jpg 11256434_10102220405266997_1021110414_n.jpg
Inside with daylight lamps
11225643_10102220391175237_175850390_n.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a loupe? Can you dig one up or take it to a jeweler? Its difficult to tell from the photos whether the inclusions go to the edge - that is what you would be concerned about. Can you see if its fracture, or a feather, fingerprint or some other type of inclusion? I ask because it would make a difference. A fracture extremely close to the edge could definitely weaken the structural integrity of the stone (whereas less significant inclusions would likely not) but its just too hard to tell from the photos how close it is and what precisely the inclusion is.

That all aside, that ring is unusual and stunning. :))

ETA: I assume you are not talking about what looks like a chip on the girdle, correct?

ElizaBear

Rough_Rock
I did not notice a chip in the girdle, where are you seeing that?

I actually thought it might have a small chip in the cutlet, you can see the spot in the center and I think I can barely see it from the bottom.

Are chips of any kind not acceptable? I would not buy a chipped diamond, but I don't know what the standards are for colored stones.

I guess I will have to go to a jeweler to look at it closer.

ElizaBear

Rough_Rock
I paid $400 total.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElizaBear|1431469703|3875744 said:
Are chips of any kind not acceptable? I would not buy a chipped diamond, but I don't know what the standards are for colored stones.

The same standards apply - no chips and it must be eye clean.

ElizaBear

Rough_Rock
I have not been able to have it looked at under magnification and unfortunately am not sure if I am going to be able to before the deadline to send it back, so I am not certain about the chips. I would be surprised if it does have chips because the seller is supposed to specialize in gemstones and people seem to get very nice things from her on here.

So should I not be able to see inclusions at all without magnification?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
The seller is a very legit person whom I've purchased from many times (I recognize the pics, I had her set gems for my mom in earring settings of that same style). You could just email her and ask her your questions, she's very nice and would be honest and forthcoming with you.

As far as inclusions go - colored stones are preferably eye clean or better, but of course this is not how all gems actually are. It can be a very subjective thing. To some collectors, inclusions aren't that bothersome, but to others, they can be very annoying. It just depends on your personal feelings - do the inclusions bother YOU?

In this particular case, if the inclusions aren't actually weakening the gem, I would recommend that you keep the ring, as it's very pretty! As far as whether or not they may cause a potential problem, I have no idea.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh and yes it can be very common to be able to see inclusions in colored gems without magnification. Depending on the type of gem it becomes more, or less, likely.

ElizaBear

Rough_Rock
Thanks, this really helps. I was a geology major and I actually like inclusions, it is like looking into a little secret world inside a stone. With that being said, the only reason I would not like inclusions is if it did not work with the stone look, was not reflective of the price (of course I don't want to pay more than something is worth), and if it was something that could cause a problem.

I am now more concerned with what I think might be a tiny chip in the cutlet which Is really hard to see becuase the setting makes it difficult without mag, and of course what the previous commenter suggested was chipping at the girdle which I don't see in person, if they are noting the light variance along the edge?. Of course I don't want to pay for a damaged stone. This was a major purchase for me, so it is hard to accept if it is not chip free, the inclusions although easy for me to see and photograph are probably not visable to most people, and I know I did not spend a lot compared to a lot of people's budgets, the ring does have a lot of metal.

It is so gorgeous and unique!

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
katharath|1431528181|3876056 said:
The seller is a very legit person whom I've purchased from many times (I recognize the pics, I had her set gems for my mom in earring settings of that same style). You could just email her and ask her your questions, she's very nice and would be honest and forthcoming with you.

As far as inclusions go - colored stones are preferably eye clean or better, but of course this is not how all gems actually are. It can be a very subjective thing. To some collectors, inclusions aren't that bothersome, but to others, they can be very annoying. It just depends on your personal feelings - do the inclusions bother YOU?

In this particular case, if the inclusions aren't actually weakening the gem, I would recommend that you keep the ring, as it's very pretty! As far as whether or not they may cause a potential problem, I have no idea.

+1

What kind of stone is it? Sorry if you already said and I missed it.

In the first pictures it looks like a citrine, in the last ones it looks like a garnet. Both are Type II stones according to GIA clarity grading, "usually included", but citrines are fairly easy to find eye clean whereas Hessonite or Spessartite garnets are usually included.

Can you turn the ring over and shine a flashlight on the culet? Any chip will look like a 'missing piece' on the facets. I cannot see a chip on the girdle from your photos, sorry!

If any of the feathers are surface reaching, you will see what looks like a fine crack on the facet it touches. If not, it doesn't reach the surface. The fact that it is already set and it didn't break apart is a good indication the inclusions have not affected its durability.

It is a very pretty ring and it looks beautiful on your hand.

ElizaBear

Rough_Rock
Thank you. It is a Mandarin Garnet, unheated. It is insane looking in person. I don't see a chip either and have used a light to follow the facets and I don't see any change in how the light follows. I have a hard time seeing the bottom, at times it looks like a small nick and others more like the line is maybe not the sharpest, lightly ruffed, if that makes sense.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you love it, I wouldn't worry too much about inclusions or microscopic damage. Gemstones and metal are eventually going to sustain some damage with wear. It seems to be a Loliondo spess, so some inclusions are going to be expected, as that is normal for the location.

Rather than expecting absolutely pristine stones, I would concentrate on price, and whether or not it is fair.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP: I was the one who said I saw a chip but since no one else sees it, I'm starting to think that its a shadow or something? I see it in the first photo you posted (the top pic in your first post). What I think/thought was a chip on the girdle is to the immediate right of the left hand foreground prong in that photo. Is it a reflection or a chip? Sorry to alarm you if its not a chip! ;(

ElizaBear

Rough_Rock
ElleW I completely agree with you. As far as if it is a fair price...I have no idea.

minousbijoux, I do see that in the pic now. I can't see it in person, although it is slightly undersided and close to the prong, making it hard for me to be sure. Definitley I recognize that because of the amount of inclusions and the stone being so transparent and reflective, that what appears to be damage may be a trick of light bouncing of inclusions.

The only way I can be sure is to get a chance to have it looked at closer.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot see any inclusions properly from these pics but just wanted to say I really love the design! Great unique ring! :wavey:

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ElizaBear|1431562735|3876332 said:
ElleW I completely agree with you. As far as if it is a fair price...I have no idea.

minousbijoux, I do see that in the pic now. I can't see it in person, although it is slightly undersided and close to the prong, making it hard for me to be sure. Definitley I recognize that because of the amount of inclusions and the stone being so transparent and reflective, that what appears to be damage may be a trick of light bouncing of inclusions.

The only way I can be sure is to get a chance to have it looked at closer.
I can't tell you my opinion, but I will say that a plain metal solitaire setting from Stuller is usually around $500-$600 retail. ;))

ElizaBear

Rough_Rock
Indeed, it is a fair larger amount of metal compared to a plainer design, that combined with the uniqueness and intricate design which is very clear not messy as seems to be common with small details sometimes. Even the smallest amount of milgrain seems to cause a significant price jump in plain rings I have looked at. Ugh you know I really love it!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1431558527|3876288 said:
OP: I was the one who said I saw a chip but since no one else sees it, I'm starting to think that its a shadow or something? I see it in the first photo you posted (the top pic in your first post). What I think/thought was a chip on the girdle is to the immediate right of the left hand foreground prong in that photo. Is it a reflection or a chip? Sorry to alarm you if its not a chip! ;(

I see it too Minous!

Inclusions in gemstones are a good thing if they don't take over the stone and hinder its beauty. They are Mother Nature's way of saying "this is made by me"!

ElizaBear

Rough_Rock
I wanted to update everyone. I went to an independent store and the jeweler was a total jerk :(. I asked him if he could inspect the ring for damage. He immediatley said but you really want to know how much it is worth becuase you did not buy it from me, he was really nasty. I said no I am not intersted in that at all. I said I had concerns about a chip and wanted to have it inspected. He said well if you are not happy with it ask for another and walked away. Well anyway I was pretty PO'd, I went to the jewelry counter in Penney's and asked the lady if she had a loupe. She let me use the one on the door keys and I checked it out. I do not see any chips at all. It was actually harder to see the inclusions up close. That particular one is pretty close to the surface and around the prongs giving almost a crackish look around the prong where I can see vertical hairs extending up, however the surface appears smooth as far as I was able to view. Thank you all for the wonderful help!

ElizaBear

Rough_Rock
So, I made a mistake. The loupe I used at Penneys was very dirty and scratched. I could not get it out of my head that the stone while gorgeous still seemed off when I really looked at it. So I ordered a loupe and it came today. I attached it to my iphone and am pretty disappointed at what I see. I have almost had it for the full two week period in which I could have sent it back, even though I have not worn it yet. I am still going to contact the seller and see what she says about it.

img_2355.jpg

img_2347.jpg

img_2334.jpg

img_2340.jpg

The only one I can really see with the naked eye is the one on the bottom, the others I can just see that the edge looks not quite sharp. I am really surprised I can not see the one by the prong because it is so large. The two pits in the top actually have something blue are green in them, like something solid; those are the hardest to get a picture of, the light has to hit is just right.

Aside from that, I am LOVING this loupe!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results