shape
carat
color
clarity

Octopus babies in a large range of colors, now how to decide

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased the left drop pearl at the Pearl Paradise Connoisseurs sale last September. Once I got it home I noticed it was a color shifter constantly changing colors from lavender, teal and green. I couldn't decide what to do with it until I saw the octopus babies Sheri Jurnecka created recently. I contacted Sheri and arranged to send this pearl to her and asked if it would fit into one of the babies. She said she was going to create them in multiple metals and patina's and she would take photos of the pearl in each one. Yesterday I got the photos but have not made any decisions which one will be it's mantle. I will share the photos so you can see the whole collection with the names of the metals and patina's.

ppsale.jpg

edited04.jpg

edit24.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Octopus babies in a large range of colors, now how to de

The whole collection.

_30112.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Here are the first metal with patina choices.
BO- Bronze Unoxidized
BM- Bronze medium Oxidation
BD- Bronze Dark Oxidation

_30116.jpg

_30117.jpg

_30118.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Next silver
SO- Silver Unoxidized
SL- Silver Light Oxidation

_30119.jpg

_30120.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Silver continued
SM- Silver Medium Oxidation
SD- Silver Dark Oxidation

_30121.jpg

_30122.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Rose brass
RBO -Rose Brass Unoxidized
RBM- Rose Brass Medium Oxidation
RBD- Rose Brass Dark Oxidation

_30123.jpg

_30124.jpg

_30125.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Here is the information Sheri sent me on the metals above.
As far as the metals go, bronze is an alloy of copper and tin, Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, but the rose brass has tin added as well , so it can be equally be called rose bronze- the terms are interchangeable.

The silver is sterling .925 silver mixed with copper. I can also cast in a couple in fine silver.999 so I can play around with enameling them, but that is for another day....

Patina is achieved with liver of sulfur, which quickly tarnishes the copper component of the metal. The same thing would happen if your wore the jewelry into a natural hot spring.

The somewhat rainbow aspect of the patina can change over time, simply becoming dark. The metals can always be polished bright again with a polishing cloth. I recommend Sunshine Cloths available at Rio Grande or online.

If anyone is interested in one in 14K or 18k, they are available by special request. ( I just asked)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

Ill have to hit her up for a 14k one when I find the perfect pearl!

as for your little stunner, i REALLY like it with the rose bronze, or rose bronze with medium oxidation. I think it has a nice warmth to it and really brings out the colors of the pearl!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for your opinion Ckrickett. I wish I was in California so I could see it in person. Sheri's photos are great though.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock

Love the octopearls! They are all wonderful...would love to see what the 14k and 18k look like!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

She is casting one tomorrow. I will ask for a photo to post here.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

The more I look at these options the more I feel like that pearl was made for one of her octopi. Its such a little chameleon, and it sits in the belly perfectly!!!! This is going to be perfect no matter which you choose!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

NL, I super love your pearl in the setting. What size is the pearl? Maybe I need a Tahitian octopus dude too!

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock

This is wonderful, NacreLover! Your pearl looks perfect as an octopus, and I'm glad I don't have to choose a metal and finish :) Really look forward to seeing the 14K gold version ... and the idea of a fine silver enameled version ... WOW! Thanks for sharing :)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I like bronze medium for your gorgeous pearl. But, honestly, I'd let Sheri choose the most striking combo.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

NLwhen we were texting back and forth earliertoday I said what my favorites were....I take it all back because the difference between seeing them on my phone and now on the laptop is like night and day. I will reserve my pick until I see the one in gold :think:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

icy_jade|1431396646|3875311 said:
NL, I super love your pearl in the setting. What size is the pearl? Maybe I need a Tahitian octopus dude too!

11x14

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I just re read my emails to Sheri. She said the small octopus accept pearls 9 to 12mm

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

NacreLover|1431418529|3875395 said:
icy_jade|1431396646|3875311 said:

11x14

Thank you!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock

How does one get in contact with the artist? I think she is on the other forum, but I don't know what her posting name is. I am really interested in these little guys as my pearl projects are growing!!!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

NL, wow, what a jaw-droppingly beautiful pearl -- it is perfect for one of these octopus settings! I'm going to be the quiet voice of dissent and suggest it looks best to my eye with silver. The cool undertones in the pearl are set off so beautifully with cool-toned metal, I LOVE it with the medium-oxidized silver. But I do agree with the other posters that my second choice is definitely one of the rose bronze options.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Sheri took more photos in this morning subdued light. From the beginning she felt the pearl looked best in either the bronze with no oxidation or silver with No oxidation. I was leaning towards the silver just because that color and lavender pop in clothing and decorating.

I did ask if it was possible to hand apply the liver of sulphur just to the circles on the tentacles because the piece lacked detention the others had. She is applying some and polishing the piece to make it more 3-D.

_30162.jpg

_30163.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

Pirard|1431441547|3875494 said:
How does one get in contact with the artist? I think she is on the other forum, but I don't know what her posting name is. I am really interested in these little guys as my pearl projects are growing!!!
La Corsetiere.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

How does one get in contact with the artist? I think she is on the other forum, but I don't know what her posting name is. I am really interested in these little guys as my pearl projects are growing!!![/quote

Sheri has a website
Jurneckacreationsdotcom
It will show custom corsets, but it's Sheri

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you, Nacre and ennui!! I love it in the silver...just gorgeous.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

NacreLover|1431448557|3875547 said:
How does one get in contact with the artist? I think she is on the other forum, but I don't know what her posting name is. I am really interested in these little guys as my pearl projects are growing!!![/quote

Sheri has a website
Jurneckacreationsdotcom
It will show custom corsets, but it's Sheri

Her corsets are amazing too! She is super talented.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

You should see her bugs. Disassembled and watch workings installed inside and frame mounted. Quite an imagination.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

NacreLover|1431448241|3875542 said:
Sheri took more photos in this morning subdued light. From the beginning she felt the pearl looked best in either the bronze with no oxidation or silver with No oxidation. I was leaning towards the silver just because that color and lavender pop in clothing and decorating.

I did ask if it was possible to hand apply the liver of sulphur just to the circles on the tentacles because the piece lacked detention the others had. She is applying some and polishing the piece to make it more 3-D.
Good plan. A few years ago I had a pearl set in a silver ring with a lotus flower style setting without any oxidation, and it took a few months (or was it years?) for the creases to oxidize and gain the definition I wanted. Now, all it needs is a quick polish with a sunshine cloth and it looks great.

But, if she can add a bit of definition to the creases right away, it will save you the wait. ;-)

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Light oxidation to suction cups and eyes

_30181.jpg

_30182.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock

OOOOOoooohhhh, that's wonderful. I love the detail!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results