shape
carat
color
clarity

Needing some PS opinions...on which way to go

Which do you think I should go with?

• Larger OEC (7.5mm+)

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • OEC 5 stone graduated (6mm middle stone)

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Neither, please explain.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always thought I would like to have a large OEC one of these days (like 7.5+mm). My issue is that I currently have a 1.08
pear engagement ring that I don't usually wear around town. I only put it on for special occasions. In my neck of the woods
it tends to be on the above average size. Mostly I wear my 5 stone (.81) wedding band or my casual 5mm OEC ring.

So, would I be better off getting a graduated OEC 5 stone (middle stone around 6mm) instead of a larger OEC?
(I've also been craving the 5 stone OEC.) I'm wondering, in the long run, which I would I get more wear out of?

I'm usually decisive about these kind of things but I'm at a loss here. Which would you go with (if you were me)?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a newbie here, but for what's it's worth I think a graduated 5 stone OEC would be stunning. I think if you don't wear your pear very often and if you feel a large center OEC may be too much for your lifestyle/social circle, then it runs the risk of sitting in a lovely ring box :). I'm imagining a graduated 5 stone OEC and it makes me drool!

Let us know what you decide!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you aren't wearing your pear because you feel conspicuous, then I think the graduated OEC five stone is the way to go.

A lot of bling looks great "in theory" but then when you get it on the hand you notice that it doesn't suit. That's what happened with my Aurora band. I went too blingy. And I didn't like the attention I got when I was wearing it. I know now that a 7 stone with 20-25 pointers is the best ring for me. And yes, it's boring and not nearly as exciting as the millions of other options out there... but the point of jewelry is to be worn. What's the point in buying something ELSE that stays in it's box all the time?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted 5 stone band - I think you'll wear it more often than a larger OEC, just going by your comments. This is a fun dilemma to have!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dunno, Tyty...I hear what you're saying, but I wear my OEC every chance I get even though no one in my rural area wears diamonds anywhere near that size.
Before falling in love with the OEC I felt self conscious and would not wear anything too blingy, but I love looking at her and having her with me - - -even if it's just a trip to the gas station : )
Life Is Short.
I like the size because I can see the facets & therefore the personality very clearly.

Oh - a 5-stone would be beautiful too! I'm just blabbing my 1 1/2 cents. Your heart will tell you.
Happy deciding and hunting!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about converting the pear into a pendant, if you don't wear it? Also, fwiw, I have an approx 7.5mm oec and though it seemed large enough to make me feel self-conscious at first , it now seems just right and very balanced. So I think 7.5mm is a great size. It's blingy but not big enough to attract unwanted attention on the street. (admiration from coworkers in the office may be different) [emoji6]

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with other posters it seems that a large single stone would spend more time in the box then on you finger, so my vote is the 5 stone.

Since I am on the prowl for one I know what you are feeling. The more I see the graduated 5 stones it is making me think.... :naughty:

Can not wait to see what you chose

:bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1431129872|3874285 said:
I dunno, Tyty...I hear what you're saying, but I wear my OEC every chance I get even though no one in my rural area wears diamonds anywhere near that size.
Before falling in love with the OEC I felt self conscious and would not wear anything too blingy, but I love looking at her and having her with me - - -even if it's just a trip to the gas station : )
Life Is Short.
I like the size because I can see the facets & therefore the personality very clearly.

Oh - a 5-stone would be beautiful too! I'm just blabbing my 1 1/2 cents. Your heart will tell you.
Happy deciding and hunting!

Since you are asking our opinions I will chime in and agree with Jimmianne. The larger OEC will show the gorgeous chunky facets off the way they should be enjoyed in an OEC and I think you just might be wearing your larger OEC more than you think you will. It's a different type of experience than with a large MRB I think. A larger OEC just feels right and not "showy" at all if that makes sense. The chunky monkey facets and the colors that come from the OEC are beautiful in an understated and elegant way. The OEC diamond just glows from within in a way I have not seen in other diamonds.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN, my thoughts exactly. I dont want to spend a lot of money on something and then have it sit in my jewelry box a year down
the road because it just makes me too self conscious (and I know it's all in my head...no one ever said anything to make me feel
self conscious about my pear...why cant I just get over it)!

Gypsy, your Aurora band was lovely. It was very blingy so you know where I'm coming from. Your decision to pass it on to someone
who could wear it more sends a strong message. I wear my boring 5 stone 16 pointer almost everyday. Putting it on just seems
like the perfect amount of bling so I even wonder if a 5 stone with a 6mm center is pushing it!

Junebug, It is a fun delimia! Thank you for your input!

Jimmianne, mochiko42 and missy, you guys are the ones causing me to loose sleep at night! I have loved all the big OECs I have
seen on PS over the last couple of years. Their faceting patterns are just amazing and I love to have a big one to play with.
My thinking here is that I would get a lower color (M/N on down) so it wont be so flashy. Put it in a very low, simple setting and
maybe it won't stand out so much. Isn't that crazy to think that way?

mochiko42 - great idea with changing the pear into a pendant but I already have a pear pendant. Granted the stone is nowhere near
as nice as my engagement ring so...it may still be an option some day.

I have a few local small jewelers on the lookout for OECs so it may just be what comes in first and captures my attention. If I go the
5 stone route its going to be a long term project (most likely, which I don't mind). If I end up with a larger OEC it could be
whenever one shows up that fits my specs (and measly budget :)) ). I'll be sure to update as something changes. Thank you guys again for your input...I'm taking it all in!

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a preloved 7.8mm OEC on Loupe troop and then sold it on Loupe troop. Maybe I'm not a solitaire person, I would have much preferred side stones like a graduated five stone. What we like in theory may not always be best suited for what we actually will wear and enjoy.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the larger OEC because you already have a beautiful 5 stone that you wear. I think the chunky facets of a larger OEC will make you smile on a daily basis and I am guessing that a 7.5mm OEC is not as large on your hand as your pear? I know my pear that I had faced up much larger than a RB. Either way, your a lucky lady.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted larger OEC. I love pears, but it's a really in your face kinda look (in a good way...LOL) & probably very sparkly white. While I think a 5 stone OEC idea is lovely, I think is more of a headache than it's worth to try to match up. You already have a 5 stone band you enjoy. ;)) I don't think a 7.5mm OEC is that big to be honest & I think you can set it in a way that isn't flashy. I like the detail from James or Caleb Meyer settings for this reason. There are a lot of vintage settings with a lot of melee so perhaps something more under the radar is best for you. I am the only one of my friends/family that is into jewelry of any kind. That being said, I dont let that stand in my way of enjoying my goodies. LOL Get what you love & get what makes YOU smile without adding pressure on yourself about where you live & who is around you. :D

Ps...in 5 yrs..(or thereabouts) you'll be posting you want to make your 7.5mm & 5mm stones into a 3 stone ring & need PS help to locate a 3rd 5mm stone. :shock:

Ok, maybe not, but was fun to think about wasn't it? :lol: :naughty:

Judy

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pears are more spready than rounds or OECS so I think a 5 stone or a 3 stone with a 1.00 to 1.50 carat OEC centre and with old cut sidestones would be both beautiful, just enough bling and wearable. Normally I'd vote for a large OEC but if you won't wear it then its wasted IMHO - better to find something you can love, wear and enjoy.

Oecut253

Rough_Rock
I voted for the OEC graduated band because it seemed that 's the way you are leaning. But I have to say that my husband and I recently retired to a small rural community in the South where large diamond rings are not the norm. At about the same time we were getting ready to move, I was looking at a 2.53 carat beautiful OEC from Jewels by Grace. I had to decide if I would be comfortable wearing a diamond that large every day in my new environment. I finally decided that yes, I would. I wear it for my own pleasure--I spend a lot of time looking at the facets and watching it sparkle! I'm so glad I have it and really, my jewelry choices are no one's business but mine.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have a graduated 5 stone OEC and the center is 5.5mm, so smaller than you're considering. It's blingy (I don't mind!) but what helps keep the bling factor from going overboard is that I feel like I have a pretty sharp graduation in size.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecolover, I love all the beautiful OECs I have been seeing on PS over the past couple of years...just gorgeous. And while
7.5mm is not large by PS standards I think it would be large enough for me to see the lovely facets. Thanks for your input!

Fancygems, you know exactly what I mean! That's 2 people that have responded that have gotten rid of overly blingy (is there
such a thing!) rings because they were not comfortable wearing them.

lknvrb4 - I do have a lovely (smaller, .81) 5 stone. It would probably end up being used as a right hand ring if/when I get whichever
new ring I decide on. I really do love my little 5 stone. My current RHR band would probably need to go to the Pre-loved forum.
Thanks for voting!

ccuheartnurse, I agree that the setting may make all the difference. My pear is set high (came that way) and while it doesnt bother
me, I would have the larger OEC set lower. 7.5mm is not large by PS standards but for my neck of the woods it's getting up there.
Thanks for your input Judy!

arkebi1, I put 7.5mm and my pear (8x6) into diamdb and I think the OEC came out 26% larger. Bascially it just filled out the pointy
end of the pear. Not sure if that would make me feel like "it's so big" or "it's not much bigger than my pear" since that's what I'm
use to. Plus, I would be going a lot lower in color in the OEC so maybe people would look at it and not think that much of it. Maybe
I worry for nothing!

acclover, you are very insightful! I think that is the way I'm leaning but it may just depend what the jewelers I have on the lookout
come up with first that speaks to me. Obviously it's easier to find one nice large stone than 5 somewhat matching stones that look
good together. I love the idea of hunting down the stones though! Sometimes the effort that goes into a project really makes me
love something all the more. Does that make sense?

LoganSapphire, I'm going to go track down your OEC 5 stone right after I post this. I wear a size 6 3/4 so I was thinking I would need
6mm but anything around that size would probably be good. As long as it's a pretty stone!...off to find your 5 stone!

Edit - your ring is gorgeous LoganSapphire! I'm so jealous of your tiny fingers! I would have never guessed that that was a 5.3mm
stone. I probably do need to go up to 7mm to get the same look you have...curse you large fingers!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
tyty333 - I understand completely what you mean. I feel the same way when I wear a large diamond ring (very rarely wear my 25th anniversary ring) I can wear a large coloured gemstone ring and not feel self conscious but diamonds feel different to me. Like you, no one has ever said anything but I'm aware of the fact that very few women where I live wear anything over 1 carat (even the very well to do women). I vote for the graduated 5 stone. I have a ruby ring (pics in Colored Stones forum) in a graduated ring. I love it. It has a lot of presence without making me self conscious. I wear that ring more than any other I have.

My husband and I are currently planning my 30th anniversary ring. I am so in love with (as I call it) the big honking yellow diamond in a triple halo in the jewellery store I use but I know I'd only ever wear it for special occasions. I want a ring I'll feel comfortable wearing every day.

Good luck with your decsion.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poodles4me|1431352463|3875063 said:
tyty333 - I understand completely what you mean. I feel the same way when I wear a large diamond ring (very rarely wear my 25th anniversary ring) I can wear a large coloured gemstone ring and not feel self conscious but diamonds feel different to me. Like you, no one has ever said anything but I'm aware of the fact that very few women where I live wear anything over 1 carat (even the very well to do women). I vote for the graduated 5 stone. I have a ruby ring (pics in Colored Stones forum) in a graduated ring. I love it. It has a lot of presence without making me self conscious. I wear that ring more than any other I have.

My husband and I are currently planning my 30th anniversary ring. I am so in love with (as I call it) the big honking yellow diamond in a triple halo in the jewellery store I use but I know I'd only ever wear it for special occasions. I want a ring I'll feel comfortable wearing every day.

I saw your 5 stone in the red thread...very pretty. Sort of understated but also carries a punch with the red. All your rubies rings
are beautiful. My favorite is the one with the biggest ruby in it. I love the antique feel and the uniqueness of the halo.
Thanks for your input Poodles4me! Good luck with your 30th...I'm curious what you end up with since you are sort of in the same
boat as me. Makes it difficult doesn't it!?! If money were no object, I would get a large OEC to keep at home and love and admire
(maybe take out on special occasions). Then I would also get the 5 stone OEC to wear on a daily bases. Hmm, wonder what my
DH would think about that idea? Don't think it would go over that well! :cheeky:

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
I'll third the possibility that the setting may make all the difference in how you see your solitaire. I think a low cathedral or basket setting makes a solitaire a lot less sticky-outy ( I think you'll find that's the technical term). I have a medium/low for prong cathedral set 2 carat 8.24mm MRB and I don't knock it or catch it on anything. If I imagine the profile views of my ring in a typical Tiffany setting, it would be a lot more blingy as I think that V shape accentuates the size of the diamond. Sometimes I think that's a bad thing and sometimes I think it's a good thing!

The dimensions you are talking about are not doorknob size and as others have said, will show off those gorgeous facets, that's a key plus of larger stones. I am totally biased here as I love a big ole diamond, but nobody gives me the side-eye for my 2 carat ring here in the north of England, and I'm not part of a wealthy set and I have a normal job. I can't imagine you'll get any grief over it. Go with your heart and your head will do a great job of rationalising your decision after the fact!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1431354737|3875079 said:
Poodles4me|1431352463|3875063 said:

I saw your 5 stone in the red thread...very pretty. Sort of understated but also carries a punch with the red. All your rubies rings
are beautiful. My favorite is the one with the biggest ruby in it. I love the antique feel and the uniqueness of the halo.
Thanks for your input Poodles4me! Good luck with your 30th...I'm curious what you end up with since you are sort of in the same
boat as me. Makes it difficult doesn't it!?! If money were no object, I would get a large OEC to keep at home and love and admire
(maybe take out on special occasions). Then I would also get the 5 stone OEC to wear on a daily bases. Hmm, wonder what my
DH would think about that idea? Don't think it would go over that well! :cheeky:

Thanks for the compliment on the rings. Yes, the 5 stone is understated but that is my everyday style. The more I wear that ring, the more I love it. We worked really hard on getting the ruby ring that you like exactly as I envisioned. I was very happy with the way it turned out.

You and I sound alike. I told my jeweller and my hubby the same thing - if money were no object than I would get my dream ring (the honker) for occasional wear only. I wish you the best with your decision - you're right it is very difficult. Would you feel better if you compromised on your new ring - how about a OEC three stone with the centre diamond being between 6 and 7 mm? My compromise is that I am having a pear shaped spessartite made in an occasional wear cocktail ring with the same style setting as the yellow diamond ring.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I vote larger OEC. 7.5mm would be a LOVELY size, and it definitely is not ostentatious. When I first got my 8.4mm OEC, I was afraid it would be way too huge and blingy. Then it got on my finger in a gorgeous low-profile solitaire setting (before I reset it into its current halo), and it was most assuredly NOT too blingy. It's a GIA M, so it just looks so soft and graceful. I've tried on similar sized icy white MRB solitaires as well, and they're just so much more in your face than OECs are.

To echo what a few others have said, I think you'd be surprised at how much you'd end up wearing the larger OEC.

Best of luck with your decision!!

ETA - I also have a graduated 5 stone OEC band that I love to bits, so you really can't go wrong with either decision. I know that's partly what makes the decision more difficult, but you'll end up with a gorgeous ring either way!

ETA#2 - FWIW, I actually think a graduated 5 stone band with the stone sizes you mentioned (center being approx. 6mm) would be MORE blingy than a single 7.5mm solitaire OEC. The center of my graduated 5 stone is around 5mm, and the ring definitely isn't low-key.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zizzy|1431366025|3875158 said:
I'll third the possibility that the setting may make all the difference in how you see your solitaire. I think a low cathedral or basket setting makes a solitaire a lot less sticky-outy ( I think you'll find that's the technical term). I have a medium/low for prong cathedral set 2 carat 8.24mm MRB and I don't knock it or catch it on anything. If I imagine the profile views of my ring in a typical Tiffany setting, it would be a lot more blingy as I think that V shape accentuates the size of the diamond. Sometimes I think that's a bad thing and sometimes I think it's a good thing!

The dimensions you are talking about are not doorknob size and as others have said, will show off those gorgeous facets, that's a key plus of larger stones. I am totally biased here as I love a big ole diamond, but nobody gives me the side-eye for my 2 carat ring here in the north of England, and I'm not part of a wealthy set and I have a normal job. I can't imagine you'll get any grief over it. Go with your heart and your head will do a great job of rationalising your decision after the fact!

I went and checked out your ring...it's gorgeous! I though people in England either didnt have diamonds or had very small diamonds?
I'm surprised your ring doesnt catch a lot of people's attention. It really is lovely. Totally agree with the heart/head thing.
Surprising what we can manage to justify when we fall for something! Thanks for your input and enjoy your ring!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1431381468|3875228 said:
I vote larger OEC. 7.5mm would be a LOVELY size, and it definitely is not ostentatious. When I first got my 8.4mm OEC, I was afraid it would be way too huge and blingy. Then it got on my finger in a gorgeous low-profile solitaire setting (before I reset it into its current halo), and it was most assuredly NOT too blingy. It's a GIA M, so it just looks so soft and graceful. I've tried on similar sized icy white MRB solitaires as well, and they're just so much more in your face than OECs are.

To echo what a few others have said, I think you'd be surprised at how much you'd end up wearing the larger OEC.

Best of luck with your decision!!

ETA - I also have a graduated 5 stone OEC band that I love to bits, so you really can't go wrong with either decision. I know that's partly what makes the decision more difficult, but you'll end up with a gorgeous ring either way!

ETA#2 - FWIW, I actually think a graduated 5 stone band with the stone sizes you mentioned (center being approx. 6mm) would be MORE blingy than a single 7.5mm solitaire OEC. The center of my graduated 5 stone is around 5mm, and the ring definitely isn't low-key.

I love, love, love your ring...however, it's a show stopper which is what I'm trying to stay away from! The M color is basically what
I'm after...maybe even lower because I really like a light buttery color. So dreamy in my mind!

So you have a 5 stone with a 5mm center? How big are your fingers? Mine are about 6 3/4 so I'm thinking 5mm is not big enough.
If it were, I'd be happy to go with a 5, 4, 3mm 5 stone instead of 6, 5, 4mm. I'm off to see if I can find pics of your 5 stone...and
maybe finger size also! Thanks for your input!

Edit...I see you wear a 4.25. Darn, the 5mm combo probably isn't going to be big enough!

Did you sell your 5 stone? The stones on it were very pretty. Do you miss it? Probably not now that you have that gorgeous ering!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The larger OEC. You will get used to the larger stone very quickly! The larger OEC stones are so beautiful. I would love to have one.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1431385828|3875249 said:
I love, love, love your ring...however, it's a show stopper which is what I'm trying to stay away from! The M color is basically what
I'm after...maybe even lower because I really like a light buttery color. So dreamy in my mind!

True, it's a showstopper now that it's in its halo, but when it was just a solitaire? I seriously never got one comment on it, nor did it ever get a second glance when it was a solitaire. Now it gets comments all the time, but again, that's only since I had it reset.

Also, keep in mind that there would be a pretty significant visual difference between an 8.4mm stone on my size 4 finger than a 7.5mm stone on your 6.75 finger! I seriously think it would be perfect, not too big, not too small.

So you have a 5 stone with a 5mm center? How big are your fingers? Mine are about 6 3/4 so I'm thinking 5mm is not big enough.
If it were, I'd be happy to go with a 5, 4, 3mm 5 stone instead of 6, 5, 4mm. I'm off to see if I can find pics of your 5 stone...and
maybe finger size also! Thanks for your input!

Edit...I see you wear a 4.25. Darn, the 5mm combo probably isn't going to be big enough!

Did you sell your 5 stone? The stones on it were very pretty. Do you miss it? Probably not now that you have that gorgeous ering!

I did have a 5 stone that I sold (I wasn't completely happy with the setting for my lifestyle), but I now have a newer, even better one! I did miss having one in the time between selling the first and getting the second, and I enjoy wearing it as a standalone wedding band or RHR. It has so much presence that I don't feel like I'm missing any bling when I opt to wear it over my halo. The stone measurements on the current one are 3.7mm - 4.4mm - 5mm - 4.4mm - 3.8mm.

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Aw thank you! I'm replying to remind you of something you probably already know - that solitaires usually look much bigger in close-up photos so when I see the photos of my ring on here it looks a lot bigger than it does in real life, so don't be scared off by photos on Pricescope.

It is unusual for people to have large diamonds here, especially outside central London or certain footballer territory. I think people aren't as into diamonds and rings generally so have no idea what size something is or what it costs. I think people here are less likely to make unsolicited comments than in some other countries.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Tyty333, I just found this thread of yours from trying to find out more info. about your alternate OEC wedding ring. I just wanted you to know that I think you should go with the 7.5 mm + OEC route. There is just something very magical about OECs, but definitely more once you go that size or bigger. I believe you saw my thread on Goldie and she is about 8.5 mm and sized for a 4.5 finger. I feel that it looks just right for me and and not too flashy the way it is set. It is was made as an occasional ring, but everytime I wear it either on its own or as a set it makes me want to wear it more often because of how beauitful old cut diamonds just are. I tend to like understated looks when it comes to diamonds anyway. I found this site called diamond database (I can't post direct link) where you can input sizes to get an idea of how a certain diamond size would look on your finger. It is fun playing around with different sizes so just input something that is in the mm range that you are curious about. You can even pick out the metal and skin tone. :) Oh, and about lower colored OECs, they are definitely very budget friendly and just as beautiful since you mentioned liking a little warmth. Goldie does not have the best cut (no defined flower pattern) but she is still just as amazing with her flashes. So I can only imagine how much more impressive the flowery ones behave based off of mine. You have that beautiful 5 mm OEC, so I know you have an idea of what I am trying to say. I was definitely charting unfamiliar territory when I was in the process of making Goldie... and she is a keeper. So don't be scared if you find a stone even lower than an M. I am on the lookout for an OEC with a flower pattern in the size range you are considering because I am that enchanted by Goldie.

I have never had a 5 stone, but may venture into that territory waaay later on.

Whatever you choose, definitely go with your heart. I can't wait to see what you decide.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results