shape
carat
color
clarity

First time Gift buyer: Freshadama and strand size?

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am looking to buy my fiance a nice strand of pearls. Have narrowed it down to Freshadama from PP. A few questions:

1) optimal length and color? 16" or 18"? She is 5 foot 9, 128 lbs, athletic and with scandinavian skin tone and blonde hair. She has other necklaces in both 16 and 18" (not pearls, silver pieces from David Yurman)

2) appropriate size diameter? She is mid 30's, professionally accomplished, wears business casual at work and polished looks on the weekends. This will be an everyday strand that can stand out for an evening out too, $1500 budget or so

3) This will be her first set; I would like to give her a more substantial set of South Sea pearls sometime in the future

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
HI! A few questions.

what cut of shirt, dress does she wear? if she shows more chest cleavage or if she is a "top button girl" length of necklace could be chosen to best compliment her attire. Also would you want a strand that could go from day to night, maybe something that can be doubled?

For MM size, we all say as the older we get we usually wear larger MM pearls. I am 30 myself, and I find that for a single strand 8.5-9mm is usually the smallest that looks best on me, BUT that is me.

have you also thought about getting a matching bracelet or earrings. they are MUCH better to get at the same time so that they can be matched. you'd be surprised how many shades of "white" there are!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Also what a wonderful gift to get her BTW!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since it's easier to shorten strands than lengthen them. I'd go with 18 inch. I wear that length constantly with my work wear. I'd also suggest a larger pearl (8mm and above) as the ability to go larger for a reasonable price is the advantage of freshwater pearls. Plus, as a professional they won't look skimpy or girly the way smaller pearls can.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a lariet style necklace, with a basket clasp, so that the length of the necklace can be adjusted as required?

This is close up of the basket clasp of my workhorse strand that I wear for work under a collared shirt, 8-9mm Gem Fresh line from The Pearl Outlet (TPO), another trusted vendor, bought a good few years ago:

tpogemfresh8_9mmbasketclaspsmall.jpg

My other workhorse strand is a larger light coloured baroque Tahitian, can't remember the size, however, unlikely to be larger than 11mm for the largest pearl.

I nearly always wear a tailored collared shirt when formal business attire is required, and that's when I would wear one of these two necklaces.

For me personally, my bigger strands are not suitable for wearing with a collared shirt, and they are only worn when I go out for more dressier evening events.

I am 50, with a chunky neck and build. :))

DK :))

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for 9-9.5mm and 18" (can be shortened if necessary later) get matching studs (or dangles if she is on the phone a lot.) I'm looking on PP and they look like they are out of stock (due to the Mother's Day sale no doubt.) Call them, or use chat online, and see if they can get them in for you after the sale with the 15% sale discount code. They are very helpful.

My daughter has fair skin like your fiancée, and she looked so amazing in my silver-rose Freshadamas that they are now her Freshadamas. So I would aim for a rosy overtone.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with previous posters, 18 inches and at least 8.5-9.0mm, I would say with your budget go for at least 9.0-9.5mm -- we get used to larger pearls so quickly! If possible I would also get her matching earrings (studs).

As for colour, do you mean colour or overtone?

Having a quick look at the PP website, though, they seem to be out of larger sizes, except for 9.5-10.5mm, which would be above your budget. IF you're not in a rush, I believe PP will get more stock in June, but you may want to check with them about availability.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Tucs|1431046214|3873719 said:
I agree with previous posters, 18 inches and at least 8.5-9.0mm, I would say with your budget go for at least 9.0-9.5mm -- we get used to larger pearls so quickly! If possible I would also get her matching earrings (studs).

I agree 100%.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of wearing matching anything, as I prefer to mix and match instead.

However, one can usually get a good deal by buying a matching set of earrings, bracelet and necklace.

DK :))

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! PP offered me the discount for a later date: she suggested 16" or 18", can be adjusted as needed.

She does wear a lot of tailored dress shirts and sweaters during the week. That will be a nice look with pearls. Evening is polished with an edge typically; she is a beautiful woman and is aware of it, likes ladylike flattering dresses over anything too young looking. Again, pearls will be perfect with her typical looks.

9-9.5mm 18" it is! Will post pics of her wearing them if she allows me to!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Dumbo, I think you did really good. That is a classic classic CLASSIC elegant choice and will look lovely and beautiful for pretty much decades and decades!

Please if you can post pictures we absolutely LOVE them!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Good job, Dumbo! I agree, you did very well and she will be amazed at the beauty (and size!) of those pearls. What a terrific gift!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Your fiancé is a lucky girl, to find a man who buys pearls all by himself.

When is the wedding? :naughty:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dumbo|1431109088|3874101 said:
Thanks everyone! PP offered me the discount for a later date: she suggested 16" or 18", can be adjusted as needed.

She does wear a lot of tailored dress shirts and sweaters during the week. That will be a nice look with pearls. Evening is polished with an edge typically; she is a beautiful woman and is aware of it, likes ladylike flattering dresses over anything too young looking. Again, pearls will be perfect with her typical looks.

9-9.5mm 18" it is! Will post pics of her wearing them if she allows me to!

That is the perfect size for always! :love: Great job and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results