shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite: looking for some advice on choosing a stone

Norton

Rough_Rock
I'm choosing an alexandrite stone for a pendant that I'm having made - so would really appreciate any help at all.

I was ideally looking for a cushion cut stone roughly 0.5ct or thereabouts but my main aim is to get a good quality alexandrite and am happy to go with a different cut (but not really looking to go higher than 0.6ct as I don't want it to be too large)

I've done some research and looked at multicolour.com and think I've narrowed it done to a few which look good? to me . . . and would be very grateful for any advice on these or any suggestions for others that may be better:

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-830366677
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?245991222
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?991764588
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?734432240

Thanks in advance.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC#1 - so shallow that the window practically overtakes the entire stone. Dead everywhere except a bit of sparkle at the outer perimeter.
MC#2 - looks interesting and warrants follow up. Should be okay if prong set. Bezel will darken it and end up killing outdoor colour.
MC#3 - not terribly appealing due to the plainer step cut (also not as nicely cut) and less saturation for the outdoor colour.
MC#4 - don't know why it looks so dark. Extinction or camera shadow?

My choice? The round, hands down.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one where you need to check in and ask David his opinion (probably a good idea in every situation actually). I say that because while they look quite dissimilar, the descriptions are identical. For example, while the round appears to have the lightest tone, the description of its colorways is identical to the oval. Also, the descriptions of the daylight colorway for the cushion and the octagon are slightly different; I don't know if this is because they really do appear slightly more bluish than the others, or whether he found a shorter way to describe the color! While he describes the color change as strong for each stone, it might be that one has a greater percentage change.

I would eliminate the cushion because of the cutting and lack of depth which compromises its color potential (nice way of saying big honking window). I would eliminate the oval because at least from the photos, it looks darker in tone and the cutting is not so crisp, which means it looks a bit murky. That leaves the octagon and the round. From the photos, the round absolutely appears to be the nicest one - clean facets, good color and color change, but if the photos are not representative of reality and the octagon is similar in appearance, this is where I would ask for his opinion. Which does he like better and why? Which has the lighter tone? Which has better saturation? Which has greater % color change?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Norton|1431103193|3874040 said:
I'm choosing an alexandrite stone for a pendant that I'm having made - so would really appreciate any help at all.

I was ideally looking for a cushion cut stone roughly 0.5ct or thereabouts but my main aim is to get a good quality alexandrite and am happy to go with a different cut (but not really looking to go higher than 0.6ct as I don't want it to be too large)

I've done some research and looked at multicolour.com and think I've narrowed it done to a few which look good? to me . . . and would be very grateful for any advice on these or any suggestions for others that may be better:

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-830366677
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?245991222
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?991764588
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?734432240

Thanks in advance.

This is fairly easy!

1. Discount this one because it has a window so enormous you can drive a truck through. Swerve away from this one!

2. I absolutely love love love this. The shape (although not a cushion as you want) gives you so many more design possibilities. Also seeing an Alex cut like this and in this shape is unusual. The colour change is good and it has a pleasant colour in both daylight and incandescent. To see faceting like this on an Alex really makes it stand out AND it's so good that if it was anybody other than David selling it, I would be wondering if it was synthetic!!!! If you don't buy this, I might!

3. I like this one but my concern is that it's a very dark stone. In daylight it will be a very very very dark green. This will look much better at night in incandescent lighting BUT most people prefer to have a stone that looks equally nice in all lighting conditions. This is a typical case of a lovely stone but it would be outstanding if the daylight colour were slightly lighter. The cutting is good though and it does fit more of your shape preference. It also has a good colour change.

4. This is an okay stone but it has a very obvious inclusion at 9 o'clock. The colour change is ok but not top of the range. You can see that in the incandescent light that inclusion stands out even more. Sometimes this happens (not all the time) but since 2. and 3. above are so lovely, I would put this one on the "no" pile.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
2 is awesome and yes - looks to good to be true ( synthetic) - IT ISN'T!!!!!!

3 - I like it

1 has no window - it is a window!! Have a similar stone - to flat to show a good change.

4 no course 2 and 3 are much better....

I would never set a quality like No. 2 - so fine !!! It looks like a synthetic - so I would use a synthetic alex and put this one in a glass lid box. Just my opinion...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1431122960|3874227 said:
2 is awesome and yes - looks to good to be true ( synthetic) - IT ISN'T!!!!!!

3 - I like it

1 has no window - it is a window!! Have a similar stone - to flat to show a good change.

4 no course 2 and 3 are much better....

I would never set a quality like No. 2 - so fine !!! It looks like a synthetic - so I would use a synthetic alex and put this one in a glass lid box. Just my opinion...

*slaps Marlow* don't be silly my lovely! Gems are meant to be worn and shown off! lol

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
NO - fine top gems like this one are not for jewellery - chipping, abrasions.... - please use commerial qualities - they are good enough.

Again - just my opinion...sorry..

Norton

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone who responded - I really appreciate all the expert advice, and it's made a big difference to where I was at with these.
I'm going to follow up on the round and octagon with David at multicolour.
Many thanks again!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1431123965|3874237 said:
NO - fine top gems like this one are not for jewellery - chipping, abrasions.... - please use commerial qualities - they are good enough.

Oh dear then you'd be horrified to hear I wear one of my top grade Alex every day! So far, no abrasions or chips *keeping my fingers crossed I don't jinx it now*

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1431263257|3874756 said:
Marlow|1431123965|3874237 said:

Oh dear then you'd be horrified to hear I wear one of my top grade Alex every day! So far, no abrasions or chips *keeping my fingers crossed I don't jinx it now*

:(sad :(sad

Poor alex..... :errrr:

:D :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexandrite is a very durable stone and I would wear (within reason, of course!) and enjoy it without worry. :))

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure you and LD know your gems and take care of them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results