shape
carat
color
clarity

To those residing in Singapore: where to set loose pearls?

raindrops on roses

Rough_Rock
Hi all, just wondering if any PSer residing in Singapore has recommendations on which jeweler to approach in setting loose pearls. I bought a couple of loose south sea pearls from PP, which were set with plain white gold eye pins. I plan to wear them with my existing diamond huggies, but the eye pins are unfortunately too small to go around the huggies. I hope to re-set them with bigger pins, and want to avoid the hassle of sending the pearls back to PP. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Re: To those residing in Singapore: where to set loose pearl

Kris in Jewelry Point in Far East Plaza will be able to do that for you. I used him all the time when I was living in Singapore. Sadly no one here in Dubai nearly as good. Highly recommended. I believe SonyaChan has used him too and was happy.

Good look.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Are the loops a lot too small or just a tiny bit too small, in which case you could try doing it yourself.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I use Yuen Tung. In an industrial building at lower delta road

raindrops on roses

Rough_Rock

BlingObsession and icy_jade: thanks so much for the information! I will check your recommendations out.

Pearlescence: The pins are too small to go through the huggies... And I would prefer not to add a bigger jump ring in addition to the eye pin (:

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Kris in Jewelry Point in Far East Plaza will be able to do that for you. I used him all the time when I was living in Singapore. Sadly no one here in Dubai nearly as good. Highly recommended. I believe SonyaChan has used him too and was happy.

Good look.

Hi ! I moved to singapore recently and was on the lookout for a custom jeweller. I saw you recommend Kris and went and met him. He is really nice and I even ended up buying a lovely apatite from him. I’ve spoken to him about some of the projects I have in mind but he didn’t have any examples of his work to show me. He said he doesn’t save photos and just deletes. I was wondering, if it’s not too much trouble could you share some of the great work he has done for you? It’s really help me out and I really am keen to work with him.

kalmen22

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I go to Danny jewellery at far East plaza.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi ! I moved to singapore recently and was on the lookout for a custom jeweller. I saw you recommend Kris and went and met him. He is really nice and I even ended up buying a lovely apatite from him. I’ve spoken to him about some of the projects I have in mind but he didn’t have any examples of his work to show me. He said he doesn’t save photos and just deletes. I was wondering, if it’s not too much trouble could you share some of the great work he has done for you? It’s really help me out and I really am keen to work with him.

Hi Gemobsessed - I have had so many things made by him but I'm a really rubbish photographer. Tell me what you have in mind and I'll see if I have had anything similar done which I can send you a picture of.

I have to say - he is a miracle worker with gold. He is a very skilled goldsmith and everything I have had him do, I've been delighted with. I often used to go in with 10 different pictures and say I want the claws from this, the basket from this, the band from that, etc etc and he always pulled it together brilliantly. If he thought something wouldn't work, he'd tell me - not just set it and say "tough that's what you asked for" (which has happened in the past). I lived in Singapore for 12 and half years - I went through a lot of jewellers in that time - none of them were as good (or as nice) as Kris. I have ignored his advice at my own peril. I had a gorgeous golden grossular garnet which I decided to set with chrome tourmaline sides. The ring itself was stunning - but the stones hated each other. He told me they would and he was right. I ended up having it reset.

Hope this helps.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Gemobsessed - I have had so many things made by him but I'm a really rubbish photographer. Tell me what you have in mind and I'll see if I have had anything similar done which I can send you a picture of.

I have to say - he is a miracle worker with gold. He is a very skilled goldsmith and everything I have had him do, I've been delighted with. I often used to go in with 10 different pictures and say I want the claws from this, the basket from this, the band from that, etc etc and he always pulled it together brilliantly. If he thought something wouldn't work, he'd tell me - not just set it and say "tough that's what you asked for" (which has happened in the past). I lived in Singapore for 12 and half years - I went through a lot of jewellers in that time - none of them were as good (or as nice) as Kris. I have ignored his advice at my own peril. I had a gorgeous golden grossular garnet which I decided to set with chrome tourmaline sides. The ring itself was stunning - but the stones hated each other. He told me they would and he was right. I ended up having it reset.

Hope this helps.

Hi! It helps a lot :)

I’ve approached him about making two tourmaline rings (One blue with trapezoid diamond as side stones and one pink and simpler work).

I generally like delicate work, not a fan of chunky settings. If he ever did work with brushed gold or filigree I would love to see. So if you could share some pics of the coloured stone rings he made for you, that would be great.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Let me take a look tonight. I promise you the picture quality will be rubbish and totally will not do justice to his work but it will give you an idea, hopefully.
=)2

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let me take a look tonight. I promise you the picture quality will be rubbish and totally will not do justice to his work but it will give you an idea, hopefully.
=)2

Hi again BlingObsession,

Kris messaged me saying he cannot take any more jobs right now :(
He was very sweet about it but very firm and said he simply has no manpower right now for any new orders and cannot. He even said he cannot set the Apatite I bought from him :cry2:

Could you recommend the next best jeweller you knew of when in SG? I had my heart set on getting stuff done by Kris but though apologetic he is very very firm that he can’t :(2

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so sorry to hear that. He has got ever more popular. When he used to get overloaded when I lived there, I would just tell him there was no hurry - if it took 3 or 4 months, it didn't worry me - I'd rather wait. I'd ask him if he could let you know as soon as he is able to take more work - is he willing to do that? Or just let you leave it with him til he can get it done? I honestly didn't have anyone else that I would be confident enough to recommend in terms of quality, service and price.

I won't post any photos as that is just mean if he can't take your work on but if he confirms he can, then I'll post you some pictures.

Jeff Davies in Bangkok has access to good setters (you need to send a picture of exactly what you want though) and he is very reasonably priced. I don't know if he arranges that for outside stones now though.

Sorry I can't offer you more help. sad :((

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so sorry to hear that. He has got ever more popular. When he used to get overloaded when I lived there, I would just tell him there was no hurry - if it took 3 or 4 months, it didn't worry me - I'd rather wait. I'd ask him if he could let you know as soon as he is able to take more work - is he willing to do that? Or just let you leave it with him til he can get it done? I honestly didn't have anyone else that I would be confident enough to recommend in terms of quality, service and price.

I won't post any photos as that is just mean if he can't take your work on but if he confirms he can, then I'll post you some pictures.

Jeff Davies in Bangkok has access to good setters (you need to send a picture of exactly what you want though) and he is very reasonably priced. I don't know if he arranges that for outside stones now though.

Sorry I can't offer you more help. sad :((

I tried asking if waiting would help but he just said no. Jeff davies doesn’t set for other people’s stones. Sigh I’m back to square one.

I’ll just try and check out Far East plaza for more shops.

Thanks though for trying BlingObsession.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
During my early days in Singapore, I used to go to a jeweller in Far East Shopping Centre (not to be confused with Far East Plaza). Level 3 - I think it was called Meyer - was run by a Mr Koh and his brother.

Their work was very good then they got very popular with the expat community and their quality slipped but prices increased so I stopped using them. Maybe they have improved again since then? You could pop in and have a chat - if they are still there. If I got the name wrong, look for a shop that is jeweller in the front half and dressmaking shop in the back. It may have changed of course.

You could reach out to Tanya at JDMIS and see if any of her students have recommendations. It was while attending a class at her school that I learnt about Kris, so you never know. As an aside, her courses are amazing for anyone who is interested in gemstones and jewellery.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
During my early days in Singapore, I used to go to a jeweller in Far East Shopping Centre (not to be confused with Far East Plaza). Level 3 - I think it was called Meyer - was run by a Mr Koh and his brother.

Their work was very good then they got very popular with the expat community and their quality slipped but prices increased so I stopped using them. Maybe they have improved again since then? You could pop in and have a chat - if they are still there. If I got the name wrong, look for a shop that is jeweller in the front half and dressmaking shop in the back. It may have changed of course.

You could reach out to Tanya at JDMIS and see if any of her students have recommendations. It was while attending a class at her school that I learnt about Kris, so you never know. As an aside, her courses are amazing for anyone who is interested in gemstones and jewellery.

Thanks so much :) I will try both your recommendations !!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think everyone is swamped with orders. I've been following up with Danny Fong for 3 months for a simple sapphire half eternity band.

Not enough benches here and many of those my mum used to go to during her days have retired lol.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Moments like this I really miss my jeweller in New Delhi. Lovely people and great price. Singapore is expensive.

For your pearls, why don't you speak to the folks at Sancy in Lucky Plaza. They have restrung mypearls and helped me reset a few items. Jian Wei is the owner's son.

harpreetbranson

Rough_Rock
Hi
As a follow up to this thread - has anyone managed to find a good craftsman to set loose pearls ? I have a pair of south sea pearls I want to set as earrings.
Thanks-

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results