shape
carat
color
clarity

decision time: which one out of the final 3 looks best

wronghand

Rough_Rock
I've come down to these three stone. about same size and color and clarity.
Based on the image, which one looks best? and why?
Thanks!
final_0.jpg ha_1.jpg

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
They all look great! But the third is my favorite "flavor" - I like the center circle/ring to be smaller (not sure what that is called..)

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
They all look gorgeous.
:love:

Perhaps the first . . . it looks as if the arrows are a touch larger and I tend to like that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emmebee|1430431199|3870301 said:
They all look great! But the third is my favorite "flavor" - I like the center circle/ring to be smaller (not sure what that is called..)
Same here; cannot go wrong with any of the 3 but my sweet spot is the third as well.

wronghand

Rough_Rock

The third one has smallest table @ 56%.

wronghand

Rough_Rock
16ocean|1430440584|3870342 said:
They all look gorgeous.
:love:

Perhaps the first . . . it looks as if the arrows are a touch larger and I tend to like that.

The first is a I. the others are H.
The setting ring will be a solitaire Platinum. My only concern with the first is the color. I hope it's white enough on platinum. price difference is about 12%.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
wronghand|1430486374|3870483 said:

Not just the table, also the circle in the middle of the table.. culet reflection? Not sure what it's called.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emmebee|1430493878|3870554 said:

Not just the table, also the circle in the middle of the table.. culet reflection? Not sure what it's called.

Table reflection - it's a function of table size and pavilion depth. Here's an old (but good!) discussion on why the colour of the table reflection changes from green to red in ASET photos: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-aset-40-768-pavilion-on-the-ledge.29977/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-aset-40-768-pavilion-on-the-ledge.29977/[/URL]

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the larger arrows of the 1st, but the 3rd also looks lovely. I think I colour in plat would be fine, have you seen any I's in person? I don't really notice a tint unless you compare to a higher colour.

wronghand

Rough_Rock
telephone89 said:
I like the larger arrows of the 1st, but the 3rd also looks lovely. I think I colour in plat would be fine, have you seen any I's in person? I don't really notice a tint unless you compare to a higher colour.
That's the problem, never saw a I in person. Saw H before, very white to me. Plus everyone tell me H is the minimum or threshold of white or safe bet on platinum.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1430495315|3870574 said:
emmebee|1430493878|3870554 said:

Table reflection - it's a function of table size and pavilion depth. Here's an old (but good!) discussion on why the colour of the table reflection changes from green to red in ASET photos: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-aset-40-768-pavilion-on-the-ledge.29977/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-aset-40-768-pavilion-on-the-ledge.29977/[/URL]

Thanks Yssie! Funny, I've read that article before (in the very beginning when I was here, as the ASET I obtained had a mixed color table reflection), but I didn't grasp the table reflection comment. Thanks for redirecting me back :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they all ACA's? If so, they all will be great. I would go for an H. They are all going to look very much alike in real life viewing. I guess with limited info such as clarity, I would pick the third one.

wronghand

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1430504999|3870704 said:
Are they all ACA's? If so, they all will be great. I would go for an H. They are all going to look very much alike in real life viewing. I guess with limited info such as clarity, I would pick the third one.

Yes. All ACA. VVS2, VS1, VS1. I, H, H Size are within 0.1mm. HCA: 1.3, 1.0 and 1.1. Here are snap shot of light performance images from AGS certificate.
Looks the middle one is the cleanest. Although I favor the third one from other images.

ags_15.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#3 H VS1 sounds good to me... :appl:

wronghand

Rough_Rock
pulled the trigger on the third one on a 6 prong knife edge. Hope fully I come out brilliant.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Well done on the choice...

Cant wait to see the final product....!

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Can't wait to see!

As an aside, it is interesting how the computer-generated photos show the contrast/blue area under the table, whereas the WF ASET photos do not... which is more accurate? I find that I prefer without the darker contrast area under the center arrows like in #2.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
emmebee|1430925260|3872974 said:
Can't wait to see!

As an aside, it is interesting how the computer-generated photos show the contrast/blue area under the table, whereas the WF ASET photos do not... which is more accurate? I find that I prefer without the darker contrast area under the center arrows like in #2.
Emmebee,
This is a good question that people often wonder about. AGS light performance grading is very comprehensive involving sophisticated ray tracing of a 3D model of the actual diamond. ASET devices and photo setups aim for an obscuration cone of 30 degrees (the blue area). But the LP grading analysis involves computation of performance at both 30 and 40 degrees of obscuration. Calculations are made on the basis of two parts 30 and one part 40, for an average of 33.5 degrees. The light maps on the report are likewise printed at 33.5 degrees. This leads to a little more blue replacing some red on the printed documents, as compared to ASET devices and most photo setups. The beauty of the computer generated light maps is that they derive mathematically from the exact environment prescribed by the ray tracing construct, with consistent and repeatable results. The results are as good as the scans of the diamonds, which are themselves quite accurate when done carefully on the regularly maintained and calibrated measuring devices in the lab. It is particularly helpful to be able to compare and cross validate real and computer generated images.

wronghand

Rough_Rock
emmebee said:
Can't wait to see!

Well I brought up this question but decided go with the third one before see any response. Personally I like the 56% table over the 57.7%. But second one did looks a little brighter. Hopefully in the end my choice looks lovely. I've spent too much time looking at different stone. It start to hurt my brain[emoji29]

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
wronghand|1431026637|3873560 said:
emmebee said:
Can't wait to see!

Well I brought up this question but decided go with the third one before see any response. Personally I like the 56% table over the 57.7%. But second one did looks a little brighter. Hopefully in the end my choice looks lovely. I've spent too much time looking at different stone. It start to hurt my brain[emoji29]

Sorry wronghand, definitely didn't mean to question your final choice - I was actually one of the ones who voted for stone #3 with the smaller table.. I think you made a great decision and I'm very excited to see it! I was asking the question as I wasn't sure whether the blue "contrast" area (as shown on the computer generated ASET but not the regular ASET) would even be visible in real life.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1430952112|3873198 said:
Can't wait to see!

Emmebee,
This is a good question that people often wonder about. AGS light performance grading is very comprehensive involving sophisticated ray tracing of a 3D model of the actual diamond. ASET devices and photo setups aim for an obscuration cone of 30 degrees (the blue area). But the LP grading analysis involves computation of performance at both 30 and 40 degrees of obscuration. Calculations are made on the basis of two parts 30 and one part 40, for an average of 33.5 degrees. The light maps on the report are likewise printed at 33.5 degrees. This leads to a little more blue replacing some red on the printed documents, as compared to ASET devices and most photo setups. The beauty of the computer generated light maps is that they derive mathematically from the exact environment prescribed by the ray tracing construct, with consistent and repeatable results. The results are as good as the scans of the diamonds, which are themselves quite accurate when done carefully on the regularly maintained and calibrated measuring devices in the lab. It is particularly helpful to be able to compare and cross validate real and computer generated images.

Thank you for this very detailed response - the miracle is that I think I understand what you're saying! That is definitely a credit to you :)

So to apply that to real life viewing, take stone #3 for example, it sounds like the contrast under the table would NOT be able to be seen from 30 degree viewing, but would be at 40 degrees (and above).

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
emmebee|1431033021|3873604 said:
Texas Leaguer|1430952112|3873198 said:
Can't wait to see!

Emmebee,

Thank you for this very detailed response - the miracle is that I think I understand what you're saying! That is definitely a credit to you :)

So to apply that to real life viewing, take stone #3 for example, it sounds like the contrast under the table would NOT be able to be seen from 30 degree viewing, but would be at 40 degrees (and above).
Yes, it starts to show as the cone goes past 30, and at 40 would be more pronounced (more blue) than the light map on the cert.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results