shape
carat
color
clarity

Beautiful pendant from junk box

scout81

Rough_Rock
I am afraid because this would be too good to be true but it looks so beautiful to me. I was looking through a box of all sorts of trinkets and some cheap jewelery when i happened apon this. I don't know anything about jewelry, i haven't tested the metal or even have the resources to. But it looks so well made and the stone is so beautiful that i feel it would be hard to fake. There are no hallmarks or purity stamps on it. When i look at the stone head on it does have sort of a star like a sapphire. What do you think?

20150501_132015.jpg

Attachments

• 1307502378521.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 762
  • 1307502402271.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 763

scout81

Rough_Rock
If i shine a direct light i do see a star effect

20150501_132049.jpg

scout81

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of it looking like it's real and worth bringing to a professional or is it obvious junk? I am really in love with it and the worksmanship but again I know nothing about jewelry. Thanks for helping!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first step is to get the metal tested. It is possible that the stone is a star sapphire cabochon. Either way, the stone isn't expensive, given the opaque quality and size, and I cannot tell whether it is possibly synthetic or natural without looking at the quality of the star, plus the back is completely enclosed, effectively removing any chance of getting any further clues.

scout81

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input! I am going to try to purchase one of those testing kits today. If you can help me with one more thing i would really appreciate it. What would you call that style of jewelry? I really like the form of it and want to consider getting something similar in the future. I have looked on google but I mostly get ads and things selling jewelry not necessarily providing any information i can learn from.

Hazey

Rough_Rock
This looks fake to me, but if you love it, that is all that matters. The part attaching it to the necklace looks like costume jewelry, which is beautiful in its own way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results