shape
carat
color
clarity

Color vs size; smaller G vs larger I

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I came across this forum and learned how important the cut is when it comes to buying diamond. Thank you very much for that!!!

We bought a stone from Brian Gavin 1.28ct, G color, VS1, AGS triple 0. It is a beautiful stone and appears very white. Because how white G color appears we thought to go down in color and get a 1.5ct I color stone . But we are not sure if the extra 0.22ct is worth sacrificing the color. The I color stone is not ready yet. We need to buy the stone first and then let them finish cutting it and send to AGS. They also have H 1.43, SI1 stone but we are not sure whether clarity would be good enough. What do you think?
I should mention that we want to go either with Mark Morrell original Torchiere or Whiteflash sleek line Legato
Here is our stone

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.280-g-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104077266047#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/2/

the ,I 1.54, VS1 stone
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.548-i-vs1-round-diamond-bfg-16114

and the H, 1.43, SI1 stone
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.430-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-104078104016

I talked to Liza from Whiteflash and she also gave some I color stone options for us.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sunflower81|1430494063|3870558 said:
Hi everyone!

I came across this forum and learned how important the cut is when it comes to buying diamond. Thank you very much for that!!!

We bought a stone from Brian Gavin 1.28ct, G color, VS1, AGS triple 0. It is a beautiful stone and appears very white. Because how white G color appears we thought to go down in color and get a 1.5ct I color stone . But we are not sure if the extra 0.22ct is worth sacrificing the color. The I color stone is not ready yet. We need to buy the stone first and then let them finish cutting it and send to AGS. They also have H 1.43, SI1 stone but we are not sure whether clarity would be good enough. What do you think?
I should mention that we want to go either with Mark Morrell original Torchiere or Whiteflash sleek line Legato
Here is our stone

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.280-g-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104077266047#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/2/

the ,I 1.54, VS1 stone
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.548-i-vs1-round-diamond-bfg-16114

and the H, 1.43, SI1 stone
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.430-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-104078104016

I talked to Liza from Whiteflash and she also gave some I color stone options for us.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!!!
Don't look at the extra weight, but instead look at the extra MM in diameter. Yes you'll see the size difference in diameter 7mm (1.28ct) vs 7.5mm (1.54ct). btw ...I love the proportions of all 3 stones... :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would drop to H and wait for an H VS2. Are you within a return period? I'd return it and go for an H VS2. You have BG, WF, GOG, HPD/Infinity, and Victor Canera selling true H&A diamonds.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go I and larger.... the stones are lovely!

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies!

I believe we could still return the stone, but we can keep it longer if we decide to go with another stone from Brian Gavin and return the 1.280 beyond the return period.

BTW, here is a link to images we got from Brian Gavin comparing their 1.6ct G to 1.6ct I

http://imgur.com/a/7A7Wm

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I would go for the I larger stone. It has a nice depth, which gives it a better spread. You will for sure, notice the size difference.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
It's a tough call and comes down to personal preference. Diamond size matters little to me above 1 ct, so I'd go with the whiter stone. My engagement ring is an I color (1ct ideal cut princess), and at first I couldn't see the color in it, but I became more color-sensitive over time and now regret my decision to go with the I. Knowing what I know now, I'd choose F-G.

ETA: I figured out the right URL for your images and that confirmed what I thought. I can barely see the size difference but can see the color difference even face up, so I would still choose the G.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color is a personal preference and some are more sensitive to color than others. Size is also a personal preference. I had a G and now have an F, I would go for color over size. Yes the lower color well cut diamonds face up white but once you notice a tint from the side or an inclusion in sunlight you'll always see it. It's a tough call to decide what is most important.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I love my I and honestly, I would rather have the size difference!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size difference will be noticeable. The colour difference will also be noticeable but whether that bothers you or not and how much this bothers you, is personal choice/preference/tolerance.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
It all comes down to personal preference, as you can see by the widely varied responses. I would definitely go with the larger "I" colored stone, personally...I like the size and I think it's at least worth taking a look at it, an "I". I think for me, I would notice the size far more than the slight difference in color :) I love my "I" colored stone. I admit that "J" was too tinted for my eye though, so I think at least for me, that's the cut-off.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I have an I colored stone and I do notice the warmth in some settings (in other words, it bothers me some times). Honestly, I'd prefer less warmth, but as you can see by the responses here, everyone is different when it comes to color and personal preferences.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhhh -the age old tradeoff

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
I personally would prefer the larger I color stone. The 0.5mm difference is going to be very noticeable.

It's down to your own personal preference. I have a 1.64ct I VS1 stone and it's really white to me.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
what setting are you putting it in? Depending on how the I faces up I'd probably go with it.

jsmith85

Rough_Rock
I would say....go to a local Jeweler with the person who is going to wear the ring and see which size stone looks better on her hand. It could be that the 1.5 carat just looks out of proportion. Even if they don't have a real diamond, they should have a CZ that is comparable for you to put next to the persons fingers. Color is just a personal preference. Keep in mind that if you get a yellow gold ring for the stone the color will show more than with a platinum or white gold ring.

Stick to the G over the H for the two stones shown. The visible size difference is pretty small(.22mm, or 3% larger diameter), and the G doesn't have an inclusion right in the table, and has a bit better light return through the center of the stone.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
jsmith-why do you say that the light return better through the center of the G?

I am concerned about the inclusion on the H--it may be visible, it may not be visible. You need to evaluate it yourself. It probably won't be visible.

If given the choice between a < 1.3 G vs >1.5 I, I would choose the I as long as you don't mind seeing some body color.

If given the choice between eye clean 1.4 H and eye clean 1.3 G, I would choose the H.

If given the choice between eye clean 1.4 H vs eye clean 1.5 I, I would choose the H because I don't like body color and can see it in I's.

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your replies! Based on the replies, we decided to get the I color 1.54ct diamond from Brian Gavin and compare it side by side with the G color 1.28ct. Will post pictures once we get the I color diamond. We will return one of the stones to Brian Gavin. They agreed to take back one of the stones even though the return period for 1.28ct G is over. They said they would be happy to get back the G color stone because they can sell G color 1.28ct stone easier than I color 1.54 stone :???:

As to the settings--probably will go with the WF Legato or BGD Classic Truth solitaire. We were considering Mark Morrell's Torchiere but it takes 6 weeks to make it :(sad
I love Legato better than BGD Classic Truth solitaire, but we may go with BGD because of convenience.

glimmer

Rough_Rock
Hi Sunflower!
Trying to make a similar decision myself and would love to see photos when you get your I please! J/w do you ever see yellow in your current G diamond when in a room with yellow lighting or yellow walls? If it helps you, I have a J (but it is a high J with medium fluorescence) and my diamond looks very white in almost every environment except inside my house because my house is painted yellow and all the lights are these yellow tinted lights so whenever I see color I'm never sure if it's because it's a J or because the environment since I've never seen a G in these same environment. You're very lucky to be able to order the I while still having the G so that you can compare side by side. I would suggest looking at them in all sorts of lighting but especially unfavorable yellow lighting like in a restaurant or in rooms with yellow walls, usually in kitchens and bathrooms the lighting tends to be more yellow, because i think that's where the tint in your I will be most apparent and easy to compare to your G and that way you can decide if it's something that really bothers you. &if you do look at your diamonds in these conditions side by side, please post pics as I'd love to see as well to help in my decision to upgrade! Thanks sunflower and best of luck!!

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
Hi Glimmer,

Sorry for my late reply. I was hoping to post some pics, but we still do not have the I stone. The order was placed May 4th and it was supposed to take them only 10 business days to get the advance-ideal stone to us, but we still do not have it. We were told that the stone is still in AGS. Hopefully it will arrive next week so that I can post some pictures.

As far as the G color diamond is concerned, it is very white even in low lighting conditions, but I can clearly see the color from the side. The stone is not set yet so that may be why the color from the side is so noticeable.

glimmer

Rough_Rock
thanks for the update! I've been checking on the thread every now and then, hope you get your new ring soon and are floored by it! can't wait to see! :)

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
We are just getting the stone. We have not ordered the setting yet. The pics that I will be posting will be of lose stones.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1430701072|3871720 said:
Color is a personal preference and some are more sensitive to color than others. Size is also a personal preference. I had a G and now have an F, I would go for color over size. Yes the lower color well cut diamonds face up white but once you notice a tint from the side or an inclusion in sunlight you'll always see it. It's a tough call to decide what is most important.

I agree with Marcy. It is a personal choice and for me all five of my ering diamonds have been D to F in color. My eyes are color sensitive and I like white diamonds. I did notice that on overcast days, my CBI diamond does face up whiter than my pear even though both are F in color.

D_

Shiny_Rock
Any news yet?

Btw, while waiting, what's the correct link to the images provided by Brian Gavin?

The one on the post above cannot be clicked:
http://hosting site images not allowed/a/7A7Wm

What hosting site did you use?

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
Hi D_,

The link was provided by Brian Gavin but the Pricescope did not let me post it that is why it is not accessible. They posted the images in imgur. Just replace "images not allowed" with "imgur_dot_com". If you cannot figure it out I can email you the link if you provide your email address.

Yes, the diamond was finally shipped. :D My fiancé is going to pick it up from Fedex tomorrow. We will post pics! :)
In the meanwhile here is the link to the I color diamond

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.550-i-vs1-round-diamond-pags-104057463057

I do not know much about diamond cut but the center of the 1.55ct I color stone does not look as symmetrical as the 1.28ct G color stone. Also the center of the I color stone has more contract (blue) compare to the G stone.

D_

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Sunflower!

Hmm, the G is the one on the left, right?
(I'd be happy if I'm wrong because that means I'm much less colour sensitive than I thought I am).

Are both diamonds 1.6 carat?
Somehow the one on the left looks slightly larger (very slightly).

You're right, for some reason the center of the I diamond doesn't look as symmetrical.
Perhaps it's just the angle the picture was taken from.
Or if you look at the Hearts image, the "shaft" at 1:30 o'clock looks slightly out of line (very slightly).
Maybe that's why?
I wonder if it would even be noticeable at all irl.
Let us know!

Look forward to seeing the pics :)

sunflower81

Rough_Rock
You are very welcome D_, :)

Yes, I was a little sad when I saw that the center is not symmetrical:( But we will see if we can notice any difference in real life. It will be sad to return the I diamond because of the cut after waiting for it one month:(

Yep, G is on the left. They are almost the same size 1.688 vs 1.687. OMG, you can see the 0.001ct difference? :)

Here are the links to the stones posted in imgur

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.688-g-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104078383014

vs

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.687-i-si1-round-diamond-ags-104074030045

Notice how symmetrical those two stones are in the center and how clean the center is--almost no blue (contrast) around the octagon.

D_

Shiny_Rock
Let's just say that's pure coincidence or something to do with the angle of the picture (I don't want to be able to distinguish .02mm difference :errrr: )

Yes those 2 stones are very nice.

I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that the difference in colour is quite subtle.
And both are plenty white.
I'd be interested to see how they (or your diamonds) look from the side - wondering if the colour difference would be more pronounced. Because we know they face up white and we'll most likely never look at the diamonds from the bottom, but the side view will be visible through the setting's gallery.

The good news is one of those two is "the one" (and if you end up returning the I diamond, that just means the G has been "the one" all along. If that's the case you just need to hope the G is not spiteful for being doubted. Just kidding :lol: )
So exciting!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what I'd pick but I won't say.
Why should I?
This diamond is not for me.

Get out and see G, H and I diamonds in person.
Only look at diamonds graded by GIA or AGS.
Other labs may not have reliable grading.

Only then can you decide on your color/carat trade off and sweet spot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results