shape
carat
color
clarity

Mother's Day Sale 2015 - PICS!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
It's interesting how the ripple pearls show different colors depending on the light. It's amazing that nature can do that!

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Tucs,Seaurchin, Ckrickett and Lovinggems.

I agree Lovinggems. I think in addition to beauty pics with filters, sellers should provide at least one IRL. I've had a few disappointments just because my expectations were based on those pics and i'm learning to set aside those expectations as well as reading those glamour shots. I find that keeping the pearls for a couple weeks also helps since either they start showing overtones that aren't discernible at first or i get used to their luster,overtones,etc, maybe both.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
ennui|1430571844|3871105 said:
It's interesting how the ripple pearls show different colors depending on the light. It's amazing that nature can do that!

yes it is!! I wish i can create something so beautiful when I'm irritated :D

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Bailey1856|1430574807|3871121 said:
ennui|1430571844|3871105 said:

yes it is!! I wish i can create something so beautiful when I'm irritated :D
clever! :appl: :lol: :appl:

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1430562803|3871038 said:
ennui|1430534498|3870930 said:
arkieb1|1430493925|3870556 said:
Yes me too!!!! If someone wants to explain the grading in detail that would be great!!!

There is no universal grading system for pearls. The best description of grading that I have seen is on P-G, under "Pearl Quality Factors." Google should get you there, because I'm not sure if I can post a link.

And therein lies the problem. Didn't Jeremy lead the way with the GIA pearl grading course? Standards of how people grade pearls and even the grades themselves unless I am mistaken are not uniform around the world. And for a lot of years vendors did (some still do) claim their stock is whatever grade they want....

I believe all who frequent this forum and others forums understand "There is no universal grading system for pearls." But, most reputable vendors do have their grading system. I just find it strange that this topic is not represented much, again "What counts as a blemish" and What does not count as a blemish", photographic images of pearl surfaces and how that is factored in…

Pure Pearls demonstrates this very briefly pointing out pearls with blemishes, with explanation.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Frost Me|1430577365|3871144 said:
Yes me too!!!! If someone wants to explain the grading in detail that would be great!!!

There is no universal grading system for pearls. The best description of grading that I have seen is on P-G, under "Pearl Quality Factors." Google should get you there, because I'm not sure if I can post a link.

And therein lies the problem. Didn't Jeremy lead the way with the GIA pearl grading course? Standards of how people grade pearls and even the grades themselves unless I am mistaken are not uniform around the world. And for a lot of years vendors did (some still do) claim their stock is whatever grade they want....

I believe all who frequent this forum and others forums understand "There is no universal grading system for pearls." But, most reputable vendors do have their grading system. I just find it strange that this topic is not represented much, again "What counts as a blemish" and What does not count as a blemish", photographic images of pearl surfaces and how that is factored in…

maybe we should start a thread about grading different pearls and ask for it to be sticky to help?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1430577495|3871147 said:

maybe we should start a thread about grading different pearls and ask for it to be sticky to help?

might be a good resource

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett|1430577526|3871148 said:
ckrickett|1430577495|3871147 said:

might be a good resource

I think so ckrickett I have been taking pictures of pearls for a while to submit for simple questions of curiosity. It will only help if the vendors get involved.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I just bumped a thread that has a link to an excellent article. Ashley has written several more on the different types of pearls. Very interesting and informative.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Bailey1856|1430574675|3871120 said:
Thank you Tucs,Seaurchin, Ckrickett and Lovinggems.

I agree Lovinggems. I think in addition to beauty pics with filters, sellers should provide at least one IRL. I've had a few disappointments just because my expectations were based on those pics and i'm learning to set aside those expectations as well as reading those glamour shots. I find that keeping the pearls for a couple weeks also helps since either they start showing overtones that aren't discernible at first or i get used to their luster,overtones,etc, maybe both.

Bailey1856 - It's an interesting point, and one I've been thinking about in regard to colored gemstones as well. I understand that vendors want to show their stock at their best, especially when others are showing their wares in ideal lighting conditions -- It doesn't pay to be the lone vendor who offers "real life" photos!

I will say that, to their credit, vendors have generally been willing to provide extra shots / hand shots upon request, but it's really tough during a sale or limited stock situation, when you feel pressured to buy quickly. I know many of the pearl and gemstone vendors provide generous return policies, but I'd much rather be able to make a more informed decision from the beginning.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1430583882|3871190 said:
I just bumped a thread that has a link to an excellent article. Ashley has written several more on the different types of pearls. Very interesting and informative.

Thank you 4Ranch Girl, for posting the article I was referring to earlier. Pure Pearls is the only one vendor that I have come across who explains and identifies blemishes with photos. Love it!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Ashley also did an article on Akoya but I am work and not good searching on my phone.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
started a little pearl grading topic, posted the article 4ranchgirl bumped

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results