shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you choose?! 2+ct J VS

diamondawg

Rough_Rock
I'm trying to decide between several stones (only one of which I have seen in person) and would just like to hear some recommendations from the folks on here. To me, the differences are fairly subtle on paper. I want the best looking stone at the best price but would like to narrow down from this list of 5 to maybe just 2 to look at in the store. Or if these are no good, some better direction would certainly be well received :)

Thanks in advance!

• 2.09c j/vs2 hca=1.5tic fluor=med blue $14k ---- 60.9d 58t 34.0ca 41.0pa
  • 2.17c j/vs1 hca=0.7tic fluor=faint $14.5k *VG polish/symmetry ---- 60.2d 57t 34.5ca 40.6pa
  • 2.10c j/vs1 hca=1.8bic fluor=faint $15.5k ---- 60.8d 58t 32.0ca 41.2pa
  • 2.20c j/vs2 hca=1.5tic fluor=med blue $16k ---- 60.9d 58t 34.0ca 41.0pa
  • 2.33c j/vs1 hca=1.7tic fluor=med blue $16.5k ---- 60.0d 60t 33.5ca 41.0pa

EDIT: except where I noted, all the other stones are triple excellent GIA
EDIT2: these are all round -- sorry for not including all the information my first go'round! I'm still new!
EDIT3: added proportions and corrected the 2nd & 3rd listing -- had the polish/symmetry inverted for those 2

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you please post the full numbers (percentages and angles)? The HCA does not provide sufficient information and the seasoned posters will be able to advise you better if they have more details.

diamondawg

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1430317623|3869643 said:
Can you please post the full numbers (percentages and angles)? The HCA does not provide sufficient information and the seasoned posters will be able to advise you better if they have more details.

I have edited the original post to include that data and correct an error I made. Thanks!!

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd lean towards #1 and #4 but they have the same proportions so you might want to get a look at one of those along with the BIC stone to see if you have a preference for a certain flavor.

diamondawg

Rough_Rock
pfunk|1430320200|3869663 said:
I'd lean towards #1 and #4 but they have the same proportions so you might want to get a look at one of those along with the BIC stone to see if you have a preference for a certain flavor.

Thanks! Do you not like 2 because of the VG polish & symmetry? Despite the HCA score & better clarity? I'm just trying to get a better understanding. It's very impressive that there are people that can do this sort of thing "blind" so-to-speak, going only by the proportions and such, rather than seeing it in front of them.

From looking at the clarity diagram, 4 is the "busiest" -- the others show a crystal here or there, but that one is much more speckled.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondawg|1430333085|3869757 said:
pfunk|1430320200|3869663 said:

Thanks! Do you not like 2 because of the VG polish & symmetry? Despite the HCA score & better clarity? I'm just trying to get a better understanding. It's very impressive that there are people that can do this sort of thing "blind" so-to-speak, going only by the proportions and such, rather than seeing it in front of them.

From looking at the clarity diagram, 4 is the "busiest" -- the others show a crystal here or there, but that one is much more speckled.

I don't mind the numbers on #2, but without more information such as a sarin scan or reflector images we can't draw too many conclusions. The 34/41 is typically a pretty good match of complementing angles, while the 34.5/40.6 is a little more gray. If that 34.5 is close to 34.3, then the angles don't complement quite as well as they would if the 34.5 was actually 34.7. GIA rounds those numbers so there is no way to know for sure. Having said that, those are pretty safe numbers that are likely to produce a beautiful looking stone.

I wouldn't worry at all about very good polish. You won't see the difference between very good and excellent polish. Very good symmetry isn't necessarily a bad thing either, but I'd personally rather keep symmetry at excellent.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with the advice so far. I would add that there is value in the triple ex pedigree even if the visual differences are negligible.

It would also be advisable to investigate fluourescence a little bit if you have not already. Here is a link that gives an overview of the topic. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1430344253|3869838 said:
I would add that there is value in the triple ex pedigree even if the visual differences are negligible.

Thanks for adding this Bryan. It is an important point that I should have elaborated upon. When all else is equal, you should definitely be getting a price discount on a stone that is EX/EX/VG vs. EX/EX/EX.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I actually like the 2.17, because it has the nicest angles for me. I like a table to be 57 or below and the crown & pavillion were nice too. The VG thing wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. (It's an Excellent cut, right?)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post LGF? That may also impact people's recommendations.

I think it's fantastic that you're going in-store to choose, by the way! There's nothing like seeing these stones - especially once you've concretely eliminated any doozies ::)

diamondawg

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1430354739|3869888 said:
Post LGF? That may also impact people's recommendations.

I think it's fantastic that you're going in-store to choose, by the way! There's nothing like seeing these stones - especially once you've concretely eliminated any doozies ::)

Not sure what LGF is... Lower Girdle Facet?

I have them bringing in 1, 2, & 3 and one other that I don't have all the specs on that I had seen previously. Hoping to be able to make my decision without "knowing" which is which.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results