shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm in love with a 6mm stone... but I have a 5mm mount?

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
I have a mount that accommodates a 5mm round stone. I'm in love with a 6.4 x 6.1mm cushion cut tanzanite.

Could my goldsmith adjust the head of the mount to accommodate the larger stone? OR could I have the stone re-cut? (Is that expensive?)

Trying to figure out if I should give up on the stone or if this could work. I come to you, humbly, and am eager to rely upon your expertise and experience! Thanks in advance for your suggestions :)

Solitaire setting, 14k white gold.

Tanzanite.

ring_195.jpg

_29652.jpg

ring_setting2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show me a profile of that setting. Isn't a peg head?

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
Sure thing, Niel :)

Sure thing, Niel :)

_29653.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So its a peg head so you may be able to have the head replaced. It probably won't fit that stone as is, as consider a cushion isn't measured at its widest point, yet that's where the prongs get placed. Then also, this Stine is most likely deeper than that diamond.

I wouldn't recut that stone, I'd just try to find a different one for 5mm size. :)

Hope that helps.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three options:

1. The setting MIGHT be able to accommodate your new stone but it depends on the depth of your Tanzanite. I have a sneaking suspicion that your Tanzanite might be too deep.

2. You should be able to have the setting adjusted by having a new head put onto it but check out the cost first because it may be cheaper to buy a new setting.

3. If you don't have the budget right now, buy a silver setting and put the Tanzanite in that until you have the money to change or buy a new setting.

Don't recut the stone.

EDIT: Snap Niel!

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tips! You guys have given me a general idea, but it sounds like I'd have to show a goldsmith and kind of go from there :)

I appreciate your help!

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
I think I need a new stone.

Tanzanite is not the most durable, and the one I love is not the right size. Sigh. Feel free to chime in if you spot any other good options! Is there any kind of stone I should be looking at apart from sapphire? I liked the price of the tanzanite... under $200 ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ringmaven|1430174956|3868664 said:

Tanzanite is not the most durable, and the one I love is not the right size. Sigh. Feel free to chime in if you spot any other good options! Is there any kind of stone I should be looking at apart from sapphire? I liked the price of the tanzanite... under $200 ;-)
What do you want? Blue?

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
Niel said:
ringmaven|1430174956|3868664 said:

What do you want? Blue?

Yes :)

Blue/green or blue/purple have been my faves so far. Straight-up blue doesn't do it for me. Not enough going on. If it looks like the ocean moreso than cornflower blue, I'll probably love it :D

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
Huldak said:
Chrono found this for me, but I didn't want blue so it's still available:

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7917

Oh wow, Huldak - that's a beauty of a gem! I had been looking for a stone that showed more than one colour (like blue/purple/green) but this one might make me change my mind... Thank you for posting! What colour did you find for yourself?

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Would you consider a spinel, which is a sturdy ring stone? I've been happy with stones/settings I purchased from this etsy seller (on the sticky here of recommended sellers, which is how I found her) and she has a set of 2 5mm lavender-blue spinel at just under 200. You could have her put of them in a simple silver pendant to go with your ring. :) https://www.etsy.com/listing/206992435/5mm-tanzanian-lavender-blue-spinel-round?ref=shop_home_active_9&ga_search_query=5mm%2Bround

She also has a single 5.5mm grey-blue spinel, which looks a little greenish in the photo; you might want to ask for more photos or a video to see if that's actually the case. I've found that the stones I've purchased have been much brighter in real life than in her photos; she takes them without a bright light source. And she has 2 5mm purple sapphires, you'll find these all in her "just gems" section.

Here's another etsy seller on the recommended list, but who I haven't purchased from personally -- he has a blue-green sapphire in the right size in your price range. To me, it looks a little dark through the middle in one of the photos, but was precision cut by a lapidary with a good reputation so it may well be something about the photo (or my eyes…) He also has a few others of the right size a little over your price range if you decide to go any higher.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/185584860/blue-green-sapphire-round-shape-loose?ref=shop_home_active_2

Good luck!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
agingsparkle|1430201616|3868838 said:
Would you consider a spinel, which is a sturdy ring stone? I've been happy with stones/settings I purchased from this etsy seller (on the sticky here of recommended sellers, which is how I found her) and she has a set of 2 5mm lavender-blue spinel at just under 200. You could have her put of them in a simple silver pendant to go with your ring. :) https://www.etsy.com/listing/206992435/5mm-tanzanian-lavender-blue-spinel-round?ref=shop_home_active_9&ga_search_query=5mm%2Bround
I just want to point out that these stones are not well cut, and they have a lot of grey. If you are looking for a grey spinel with some lavender that is well cut, I have noticed that Jeff Davies has a lot of this material.

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
Thanks foe the tips! Spinel is new to me, but I'd be more than happy to use spinel :)

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
ringmaven|1430192931|3868813 said:
Huldak said:
Chrono found this for me, but I didn't want blue so it's still available:

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7917

Oh wow, Huldak - that's a beauty of a gem! I had been looking for a stone that showed more than one colour (like blue/purple/green) but this one might make me change my mind... Thank you for posting! What colour did you find for yourself?

It really is. I didn't find anything, I decided to sell the setting. It's on preloved now.

There is a blue/green stone you might like, but it's $429. Is that out of budget?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results