shape
carat
color
clarity

What did I buy from this thai vendor?

bbj123

Rough_Rock
Hi! I'm a newbie and not at all knowledgeable in terms of stones. I bought this "green amethyst" from a thai vendor on ebay.
I've already read about green amethyst beind a rarity and that most stones are somehow treated. The vendor usually discloses if the stones are treated or not, and he states "unheated" on the ring's description. The stone is very big and the price was cheap, I have no idea what did I just buy - is this an artificially coloured stone? Maybe someone here could give me some detailed information? Thank you :)

r7291b.jpg

r7291c.jpg

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
There are others who are more educated but this may be a prasiolite ... A heated amethyst.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prasiolite sounds exactly right.

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
bbj123 said:
Hi! I'm a newbie and not at all knowledgeable in terms of stones. I bought this "green amethyst" from a thai vendor on ebay.
I've already read about green amethyst beind a rarity and that most stones are somehow treated. The vendor usually discloses if the stones are treated or not, and he states "unheated" on the ring's description.

Naturally occuring prasiolite is indeed rare, Mindat only reports a few locations worldwide.

You can get prasiolite by gamma rays irradiation of colorless quartz (not all) or by heating amethyst from a few locations (like Montezuma, Brazil).
You can tell them apart with a chealsea filter: the irradiated one turns reddish while the heated material stays green.

From what I know, you can't determine if the prasiolite has been naturally or artificially heated.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Could be glass.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is probably prasiolite, which is not expensive and not rare. The vendor spoke the truth in a roundabout way; the stone probably isn't heated but is irradiated.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results