shape
carat
color
clarity

2 carat center stone too big on size 2.5 finger?

bayBee

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I posted this earlier under "ladies in waiting" but haven't received any replies..

My SO has been looking at e-rings in the 1.5 – 2.5 carat range in a few different cuts (mainly square radiant, asscher, and Flanders). My ring finger is a 2.5, but I think I’ll size up to a 2.75 since I swell a bit in warmer weather.

I’ve tried on a 2 ct rectangular radiant before (pics below) and didn’t think it looked bad at all, but the sales associate laughed and said I was silly for even considering it! *Note: The band was the smallest one they had in the store and was just for try-on purposes. I want something simpler and thinner, between 1 – 1.5mm.
2_carat_rectangular_radiant.jpg 2_carat_rectangular_radiant_2_3.jpg

Anyway, lately my SO has been talking a lot about compass/kite setting a 2 ct square stone, and I’m worried it will look too wide on my finger! I really want there to be some band showing on both sides of the diamond since I just prefer that look (thin/dainty band and substantially sized stone).

Anyone have thoughts on this or examples to share? I realize my finger size is quite small, so I welcome other carat and ring size combos! Oh and just in case, this is what I mean by compass/kite setting:
035e008a0590609c37efc9840222e964.jpg
*Image found on Pinterest.

p.s. Sorry, I'm fairly new here and don't know how to resize images

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure most of the ladies on here will reply that you can never go too big! Lucky you to have such slim fingers. I think the thick band on the first ring isn't doing you any favours but personally I like the stone size. I agree a thinner band would be MUCH more attractive but don't go too thin or it might be easily bent out of shape. The kite style setting is very pretty but also rather unusual- if you don't love it don't do it. You'll be wearing this ring every day for many years and you should get something you're happy with! Keep us updated on your search.....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One person's big is another person's small and vice versa. It is all about your personal comfort zone. If you plan to have your wedding band sit flush to the e-ring, having a kite-set diamond will present a setting challenge.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a 2.5, but my ring finger is a 3.5 and I would love to have a 2.5 ct diamond. Go for it if you like it on your finger.

Remember the shapes you are most interested in tend to face up smaller anyway. A 2ct radiant/assher will look smaller than a 2ct round.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NEVERRRRRR!!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
The sales associate was probably just embarrassed they didn't have any Asschers or Flanders or big stones in stock.

Delicacy of setting will be easy to achieve, it's the look of choice for many sophisticated brides to be.

Good luck finding that Flanders, not a very common shape in diamonds. My wife has a gemstone Flanders cut and it's breathtaking.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Definitely not!! It will look gorgeous and huge, and I envy you for having such small fingers!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those cuts look much smaller than a round that size. So no, I don't think it looks too large at all if it is the range you like and/or your social circle wears. I wouldn't personally kite set those stones, though. Be very careful about cut on radiants because many are not all that well cut and some are deep and face up small, as well.

I will say that that shank (band) of that setting appears to be 2.5-3mm. It is not wise to go below 1.8mm for the shank if you plan to have diamonds on it, or even plain, as they can easily bend out of shape if too thin. 1.8-2.0 mm is thin and the safest size for a thinner band.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Size can only be determined by you and you alone. Some women are comfortable with large stones, while others are not. If you're comfortable with a larger stone, then that's all that matters.
My only bit of advice is to make sure you order the correct size (you mentioned you were thinking about sizing up a little bit). A ring that's too big can spin on the finger and be not only be at risk for loss, but can also incredibly annoying.
Have fun shopping for your ring:)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having fingers that small is wonderful it makes everything look bigger. I think the stone you tried on looks balanced on you and not terribly huge at all but I agree with everyone else it is about what YOU feel comfortable wearing. Some ladies rock large bling and love it others want something less showy it's not just about finger size its about personal choice!!!!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
DO YOU LIKE IT BUY IT who cares what the sales lady think You think Kim K 16 Carat ring is to big for her finger. Or Beyonce yadda yadda. If you like iit get it.

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
My finger size is larger at 4.25 and I have a 2.5 carat round brilliant that does not look big to me at all! I'm actually on the hunt for a larger round! Go with what you like the most as you will be the one looking at it ALL THE TIME.

bayBee

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your thoughts! This forum is so helpful and has helped me to learn a lot.

The problem actually is that my SO wants the final ring to be a surprise, so I won’t be able to try or even see the diamond that he chooses until the day he proposes. I liked the 2 carat rectangular radiant since it is narrow enough to show some of the band on both sides, but with his new idea of compass/kite setting a 2 – 2.5 ct square stone, I wonder if it will take up the full width of my finger.

I think I may have to tell my SO to buy at the lower end of his preferred carat range and to be mindful about width measurements if he does end up getting a square cut.

bayBee

Rough_Rock
danielxlin|1429552441|3864928 said:
The sales associate was probably just embarrassed they didn't have any Asschers or Flanders or big stones in stock.

Delicacy of setting will be easy to achieve, it's the look of choice for many sophisticated brides to be.

Good luck finding that Flanders, not a very common shape in diamonds. My wife has a gemstone Flanders cut and it's breathtaking.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my first post! It was actually another sales associate who made that comment. She had passed my SO and me over to a sales associate who was very nice and accommodating. Now that I think about it, perhaps she was just bitter about potentially losing out on that sale+commission.

And yes, Flanders are so unique and beautiful, and seem so very hard to come by!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like Flanders it might be worthwhile checking out Blue Nile and look under their Signature Hearts and Arrows Cushion cuts and some of the amazing custom cut Radiants Good Old Gold has as well;

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/diamonds/radiant.html

Both lots of stones I have suggested give you the best quality in regards to light performance.

If you want something with a really rapid scintillation pattern this stone is cool as well;

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2-03ct-g-vvs1-solasfera-princess-cut-diamond.html

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
bayBee|1429597872|3865191 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your thoughts! This forum is so helpful and has helped me to learn a lot.

The problem actually is that my SO wants the final ring to be a surprise, so I won’t be able to try or even see the diamond that he chooses until the day he proposes. I liked the 2 carat rectangular radiant since it is narrow enough to show some of the band on both sides, but with his new idea of compass/kite setting a 2 – 2.5 ct square stone, I wonder if it will take up the full width of my finger.

I think I may have to tell my SO to buy at the lower end of his preferred carat range and to be mindful about width measurements if he does end up getting a square cut.

I really like the rectangular radiant on you too! If you give your SO some guidelines/parameters, you should end up with a beauty =) Keep us posted:)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As some of the others have said already, it is down to personal styles and preferences, and I would go as far as to say it can also be influence by social circle and peer pressure/expectations/etc...

DK :))

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That size looks lovely on you IMHO.

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
another vote for the 2 carat rectangular radiant!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 2 ct radiant looks lovely on your hand. Agree with others that all that matters is what you like, and what you're comfortable wearing.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignore the wags - this is between you and your boyfriend. They have no say in the matter, and please don't give then one.

This might help you visualize different sizes and shapes of diamonds on your finger - even though it doesn't get quite down to your finger size, and probably doesn't include handle a kite-set stones as an option. Consider it a starting point. **edited by moderator, no affiliate linked websites please**

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No such thing as too big!

bayBee

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1429560814|3865002 said:
Those cuts look much smaller than a round that size. So no, I don't think it looks too large at all if it is the range you like and/or your social circle wears. I wouldn't personally kite set those stones, though. Be very careful about cut on radiants because many are not all that well cut and some are deep and face up small, as well.

I will say that that shank (band) of that setting appears to be 2.5-3mm. It is not wise to go below 1.8mm for the shank if you plan to have diamonds on it, or even plain, as they can easily bend out of shape if too thin. 1.8-2.0 mm is thin and the safest size for a thinner band.

Thank you for your feedback and the information on band widths!

Is there a reason why you wouldn't kite set those types of stones, or is it purely your personal aesthetic preference? My SO and I are pretty new to this whole jewelry thing and just want to make sure we educate ourselves before making such a big purchase.

I've told him that if he does end up kite setting a square cut diamond, I prefer the prongs to be on the sides of the stone like these:
screenshot2011-05-25at115601am.png
vintage-asscher-cut-diamond-engagement-ring-2.jpg

Instead of on the corners like this:
320358-ering_v5_hand_2.jpg

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Kite setting will be great with an asscher. Caveat: it's an unusual look. Most people are a little bit more conservative with the "forever" ring, as opposed to a right hand ring, when you can really go crazy. But you're not most people!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All that really matters is what YOU like! However, you are leaving some corners vulnerable to be knocked on things if you kite set the stone and put the prongs on the middle of the long sides. I can think in the 9 years I have been here that I have seen anyone set one like that.

I have however seen a gorgeous antique Edwardian ring with a very valuable asscher diamond kite set in a way that I think works because there are no prongs.

_29613.jpg

_29614.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1430098326|3868239 said:
All that really matters is what YOU like! However, you are leaving some corners vulnerable to be knocked on things if you kite set the stone and put the prongs on the middle of the long sides. I can think in the 9 years I have been here that I have seen anyone set one like that.

I have however seen a gorgeous antique Edwardian ring with a very valuable asscher diamond kite set in a way that I think works because there are no prongs.

DS, is there a thread for this ring?? :love:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a 2.5ct on a 2.75 finger. In the beginning, I thought it was a bit big but now it is fine. I wouldn't go bigger for daily wear.

The first picture you posted ... the ring is way too bulky for your finger. The trick is a delicate setting with a thin band.

cwsk-handshot-1_0.jpg

This is what a 1.7 ct looks like in a cushion.
CharmyPoo-Leon-Handshot1.jpg

bayBee

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1430108671|3868287 said:
I have a 2.5ct on a 2.75 finger. In the beginning, I thought it was a bit big but now it is fine. I wouldn't go bigger for daily wear.

The first picture you posted ... the ring is way too bulky for your finger. The trick is a delicate setting with a thin band.

Yes, I completely agree. If you read through my original post, I mentioned that the band in those photos was the smallest size they had available in the store and was purely for try-on purposes. I have always wanted a very thin and dainty platinum band between 1 – 1.5mm maximum, although I am starting to reconsider since people have mentioned this may be too thin.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
For a single band, don't go below 1.5 mm or else it will look too thin. Plan your e-ring with your anticipated w-band for the total look.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo|1430108671|3868287 said:

cwsk-handshot-1_0.jpg

This is what a 1.7 ct looks like in a cushion.
CharmyPoo-Leon-Handshot1.jpg

CharmyPoo, your rings look perfect on your fingers :love:

I love them both!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results