shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever have non-materialistic week?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am guessing that is what you would call it.

While going through my jewelry this week to show my daughter some options to wear with her prom dress, I started thinking. Why do I have all this, it just sits here, do I really need these things, why don't I just sell it all, except a few sentimental pieces from family.

I found things I forgot I even had, that makes me feel like I am wasting money. I feel ......................oh I don't even know what I feel like, weird.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Yep. Going through the same now. Feeling silly about all the rings in my box when I regularly wear only a very few. Thinking I will soon be listing several and donating to a local food pantry and community organization with which my sons and I have been volunteering for the last year. Seeing people who are unable to provide their families with basic food and care items really adjusts one's perspective on the frivolities of life. I feel wasteful and guilty for indulging my silly whims, honestly.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I get what you are saying and understand how you feel.

I have been downsizing my jewellery box for some time--and I sill have many items I would like to sell. The latest cull was my diamond engagement ring--I sold it in a moment without an ounce of regret. I enjoyed every sparkly moment as I wore it for 10 years and now have those memories.

I routinely get rid of clothing items and purses--every season--and buy less and less.

cheers--Sharon

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to have a sale, but I have no idea what to ask for things. Some pieces haven't seen the light of day since I got them.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Last year I sold $40K worth of stuff and felt so free! I have zero regrets and I used that money to buy myself a new car with cash- no car payments. I sold well over 50% of what I owned.

I kept sentimental stuff, stuff from my grandmother pretty much. I have some really pretty jewelry from her. And a few other pieces as well.

I sold everything related to my ex husband and realized I bough a lot of stuff near the end of my marriage I think because I was so unhappy and trying to fill a void. It never worked and only made me feel weighted down and guilty.

I realized if I don't wear the stuff, what's the point of owning it?

It felt so good, I started purging other things I don't use, don't need. And it encouraged my teens to do the same thing. And they also felt great about lighting up their stuff.

It was amazing to me how material things can weigh you down.

I enjoy and wear what I have now and having less of it makes me appreciate it more.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think of this often actually and I agree. Material things really can weigh you down. Emotionally and literally.

If you don't wear and enjoy it can be freeing to get rid of it and often less really is more.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I don't know - I wouldn't second-guess yourself too much on this. You liked the things when you bought them, and you can always sell. I have the occasional pang of guilt about my jewelry but it really, really cheers me up when I think about it, or get it out to look at, or play with it, or wear it. I love it.

About not wearing things, I think the question is not so much whether you've worn the jewelry in the past, but how much you'll wear it in the future. I do think that when you have a lot, it's easy to forget about certain pieces because you can't see all the jewelry at once. (Unless it's displayed in one of those jewelry armoires or a large jewelry box, which I would love but which I consider a burglar's dream.)

If you have a pair of earrings that you like very much but only wear them once every couple of months, I don't think that's a waste. After all, the good thing about jewelry is that it doesn't take up much room.

I do have a lot of clear-outs, every six months, of everything else. Closets, drawers, kitchen, storage units. I'm ruthless with larger stuff. I'd say I'm at the point where I either adore or use everything I own. I think William Morris said to have nothing in your home that you don't know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

I know materialistic things aren't the important things in life, but my jewelry sure has made me happy, especially when people have let me down. I look at my sparklies and they cheer me right up. So don't feel bad about your jewelry - jewelry is a happy thing!

"Don't entertain doubts. Make them coffee and send them home."

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as jewelry goes, I got rid of old yellow gold pieces that I'd never wear again a long time ago. I do not really wear a lot of jewelry, so I don't need more than a couple of bracelets, earrings, necklaces, etc. I am at the point that I want anything I buy to be an heirloom, so I buy fewer things but very high quality when I do buy. There are moments I think I didn't need to upgrade to the size diamond I now have, but I'd lose money downsizing so will enjoy it for awhile. I really have all the staple pieces I really want, so for me to buy anything else at this point, I'd really have to love it.

I am not into a lot of expensive clothes or purses, either. I have a very narrow foot so shoes are never a temptation because I have a very hard time finding shoes to fit. But regardless, I take clothing that we no longer wear and donate it every year.

Moving was what helped me get rid of "stuff". It feels very good to pare down unused things.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1429800544|3866456 said:
HI:

I have been downsizing my jewellery box for some time--and I sill have many items I would like to sell. The latest cull was my diamond engagement ring--I sold it in a moment without an ounce of regret. I enjoyed every sparkly moment as I wore it for 10 years and now have those memories.

I routinely get rid of clothing items and purses--every season--and buy less and less.

cheers--Sharon

Sharon, will you get another diamond e-ring?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
My last move made me very aware that I have too much. (we took only what we really wanted to EU, stored some things, and donated a lot.)
I did not consider my jewelry collection large and I periodically purge wardrobe items, but my last move really made me reconsider what I allow into our house. My daughter has also expressed an interest to have less. That really surprised me! I think my daughter, 9, was worried she'd be stuck sorting through all our belongings one day! I tried to convince her she might want a few of the better jewelry items, but I think I have a minimalist child. It's a little more challenging purging items in Switzerland, but I'm determined to pare down our belongings.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of the jewelry pieces I own are costume jewelry, and I rarely buy new things. I love to donate items and I go through our house at least twice a year looking for things we can give away. We've moved often over the years and that has definitely helped us get rid of stuff. I'd love to get to a point where we only keep things we use on a regular basis, but I don't think that will ever happen. I have too many clothes and boxes full of things related to my job that I may use again, who knows.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I have and I am in the progress of getting rid of stuff..I don't wear it, I would not wear it even if I could (outgrew alot of them lol) so I am selling some stuff...I have stuff listed on Ebay but its not been real successful...alot of what I am selling is old 14K CZ rings, I went thru a CZ phase about 15 years ago...I have no use for them now lol

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew! I am glad I am not alone in this. I feel better knowing other's feel the same. I think after school is out, I will sit down with my daughter and show her everything and let her decide if it's something she might ever want and if not, I will sell it.

I am mainly a white gold person now and I still have a bit of yellow gold items.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have felt that way, and have gone through and sold things I was not wearing enough to justify to myself. There are a few things I could still part with, and may in the future, but they would not bring in that much and I have room in my jewelry box. So at this time I feel it is a good balance (other than the extra engagement ring!). I probably still have more things in my jewelry box that other people have purchased for me (that may not be exactly my style) than things I have picked out for myself.

I also like collecting postcards, and like gemstones and jewelry, enjoy it because you can take them out, research them, look at them but they don't take up too much space.

In rest of life, as part of organizing and cleaning I am culling, as I would rather have fewer things I enjoy and use, than more items that aren't really being fully utilized.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1429835719|3866862 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

HI DS:

I am casually looking. If I buy I it will be a an Estate Tiffany solitaire or Cartier--with all documents and receipts if possible. Even a yellow diamond from Tiffany although those do not come by very often in a solitaire. The Can $$ is not conducive at present to buy across border, so I am in no hurry.

The few Estate Tiffany rings I've seen in Canada had no papers and the two locally that did, were a "Novo" and a "Lucidia". I want a RB. GOG has one a good one their ebay site, but it was priced as new. I wonder if they take offers?

At present I am wearing my WF diamond wedding band coupled with my 6.25 ctw eternity ring. It isn't as if I have nothing to wear! Everyone asks me if those rings are new because in 10 years I never wore them since I always wore my ER. So essentially they are new! I guess that is part of the point of this thread, having too many choices thereby never wearing what you have. It was nice to go shopping in my own jewellery box!

Sorry for the hijack. Keep your eye out for me for a super Estate deal!!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo|1429857227|3866975 said:
My last move made me very aware that I have too much. (we took only what we really wanted to EU, stored some things, and donated a lot.)
I did not consider my jewelry collection large and I periodically purge wardrobe items, but my last move really made me reconsider what I allow into our house. My daughter has also expressed an interest to have less. That really surprised me! I think my daughter, 9, was worried she'd be stuck sorting through all our belongings one day! I tried to convince her she might want a few of the better jewelry items, but I think I have a minimalist child. It's a little more challenging purging items in Switzerland, but I'm determined to pare down our belongings.

I hear ya.

I have only one adult son--and worry about this for him as well, especially with my jewellery. It factored greatly in my decision to let go of my large ER ring--seriously I believed he would have no interest in inheriting it and find it a liability/difficult to sell. Moreover, it wasn't a ring I would consider giving to his intended--most young women would not want a diamond shape or ring style like that anyway.

Our reasons are as different as we are and it is interesting to listen to others' perspective.

cheers--Sharon.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a lot of low-end gold jewelry that hasn't been worn in a very long time, and a lot that never did get a lot of screen time. And - there are several factors that pretty much guarantee I never will wear it much:

I have quite a bit of stuff that I got at very good prices but that I was all that crazy about to begin with -
I recently retired, so I'm downsizing and simplifying my wardrobe and not "accessorizing" as much -
I'm letting my hair go gray ( :-o ) - or at least I think I'll go through with it this time - which will change what looks good on me -
As my body has taken on more mature proportions, there are things that just no longer look good on me -
I now have my "forever" ring (a James Meyer 3-stone, originally Uppy's ring) and I hate to go too many days without wearing it!

So yeah, I need to downsize my jewelry stash. It's still a hard thing for hard to do. You guys are inspiring me!

As for de-stashing everything else, it's a struggle. I did get rid of quite a bit of clothing that no longer fits, or that I no longer use, during a recent online de-stash campaign ("40 bags in 40 days - I think I managed about 8 bags) but I'm a bit of a packrat, and I still have a long way to go.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm always trying to clear "stuff" out of cupboards and drawers, but I find with 2 school kids in the house they just fill up again! I think you could probably build a whole other house with the amount of Lego we own (though am secretly hoping some of the sets might be worth selling in the future!).

As for jewellery, paintings and the like, I'm now also attempting a quality vs quantity agenda and only buying things I feel would be worth passing down to my kids. I'd love to sell some items but can't quite work myself up to tackling this yet, I'm a bit scared of eBay etc. I have made some fair old jewellery mistakes- like buying a diamond bracelet that I fell in love with but is far too long and sits in a box all the time......

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cleaned out my jewellery box earlier this year. I don't have much but has amassed a large than necessary amount of wedding bands on my quest to find the right one. I found the right one, a slim french cut ruby ring, about 6 months ago so have started releasing the others.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I frequently don't wear mine (ie mostly I wear no jewellery at all) because I have pottering in the garden hands, dog hands, kid hands and renovating hands - essentially I have a non jewellery compatible lifestyle but it doesn't change my love of beautiful things. Every six months or so I have a purge of things that are not being used or that I will not use a lot that helps.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not with jewellery, as I can always have more jewellery. :bigsmile:

However, being a reformed spendthrift, I am a lot more careful with my money than I was over 4 years ago, as I do not wish to get myself into debt like I was over 4 years ago.

I do not need anymore jewellery, however, I do need to fix/replace my boiler, get a new car, and carry out some maintenance work on the house that I own.

Therefore, no more jewellery or non-essential spendings until I have some pennies to spare, then it would be a hard job to decide whether it is going to be spent on jewellery or to get a better tent for camping which is my main form of holidays.

DK :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have never been much of a "collector". I don't like the feel of necklaces and bracelets and never wear them, so I only have my 3 rings and diamond studs with jackets. The rings are all heirloom quality (to me at least) and I'm pretty much done. The only other thing I might want is a pair of lever back earrings, but I'd want about 2 ct each and that's never going to happen and I'm fine with that.

The bottom line to me is that if things give you pleasure (even if they only see the light of day a few times a year), enjoy them!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1429890487|3867164 said:
diamondseeker2006|1429835719|3866862 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

HI DS:

I am casually looking. If I buy I it will be a an Estate Tiffany solitaire or Cartier--with all documents and receipts if possible. Even a yellow diamond from Tiffany although those do not come by very often in a solitaire. The Can $$ is not conducive at present to buy across border, so I am in no hurry.

The few Estate Tiffany rings I've seen in Canada had no papers and the two locally that did, were a "Novo" and a "Lucidia". I want a RB. GOG has one a good one their ebay site, but it was priced as new. I wonder if they take offers?

At present I am wearing my WF diamond wedding band coupled with my 6.25 ctw eternity ring. It isn't as if I have nothing to wear! Everyone asks me if those rings are new because in 10 years I never wore them since I always wore my ER. So essentially they are new! I guess that is part of the point of this thread, having too many choices thereby never wearing what you have. It was nice to go shopping in my own jewellery box!

Sorry for the hijack. Keep your eye out for me for a super Estate deal!!

cheers--Sharon

I will definitely keep an eye out, Sharon! Oh the days when Signed Pieces had Tiffany e-rings all the time! So sad to lose them! But absolutely contact GOG. No one expects to sell an estate piece at retail price. Although it may take awhile for the price to get to where you want it to be if it is newly acquired by them, but I definitely would make an offer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1430064031|3868063 said:
I have never been much of a "collector". I don't like the feel of necklaces and bracelets and never wear them, so I only have my 3 rings and diamond studs with jackets. The rings are all heirloom quality (to me at least) and I'm pretty much done. The only other thing I might want is a pair of lever back earrings, but I'd want about 2 ct each and that's never going to happen and I'm fine with that.

The bottom line to me is that if things give you pleasure (even if they only see the light of day a few times a year), enjoy them!

Your rings are like the definition of heirloom quality! I would also like a pair of leverback earrings, but I am going to do delicate halos in order to get the size. I wouldn't put that much money into getting diamonds that big.

The big thing I need to get rid of is sets of china and crystal. I have a few and rarely use most of them. The pain in the neck is selling them. But they are nice and I would like to get something for them. However, I do need to be sure whether my girls want any of them. Our older daughter already has a few place settings of my formal china, so I have to save all that for her. I have my mother's, which I really love, so I have to keep that. You can maybe see the dilemma!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I am going to scale down considerably.
I want a few staple things that I don't have yet such as a 1.5 ctw set of diamond studs and a diamond tennis bracelet in white gold (I have a yellow gold one). So after selling what I or my daughter don't want or need I think I will get those couple things and put the rest of the money to good use.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
autumngems|1429797983|3866410 said:
I am guessing that is what you would call it.

While going through my jewelry this week to show my daughter some options to wear with her prom dress, I started thinking. Why do I have all this, it just sits here, do I really need these things, why don't I just sell it all, except a few sentimental pieces from family.

I found things I forgot I even had, that makes me feel like I am wasting money. I feel ......................oh I don't even know what I feel like, weird.
Yes, I do. And I need more of them sometimes. I have a lot of...stuff.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. Not a feeling I can ever remember having.

I actually have very little of pretty much anything but books and dvds. Have only added 2 bluray/DVD in the last year. Don't have cable, Netflix, streaming, or anything else so dvds are what we watch when we watch anything.

The only nice stuff in my closet came from friends of our family who send all their bags to us when they clean out their closets. All the stuff that actually fits me (at my current weight or 30 or 50 pounds ago) is not much and mostly so worn it is embarassing.

Tough thing is I really don't want to collect stuff like either set of grandparents but both DH and I have been through so many financial struggles in life that neither of is can part with anything until barely suitable for rags. (Just as well because my hole filled, worn through clothes that I almost got rid of are now the nicest stuff I have....)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just re-read my post and wanted to add but too late to edit.

I think it is great when people who have worked hard and planned well or even had a bit of luck have the experience of being happy with what they have. I think it is even greater when people are able to look around and feel that they could be happy with even less.

Don't want anyone to misunderstand! I actually want to get to have that feeling one day and am glad so many here have had that experience :))

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1430174693|3868660 said:
Just re-read my post and wanted to add but too late to edit.

I think it is great when people who have worked hard and planned well or even had a bit of luck have the experience of being happy with what they have. I think it is even greater when people are able to look around and feel that they could be happy with even less.

Don't want anyone to misunderstand! I actually want to get to have that feeling one day and am glad so many here have had that experience :))

That is a nice way to feel. And I feel you will get there, because it sounds like you are careful with your money.

I have been feeling generally peaceful and non-materialistic, but I do get urges, of seeing something on preloved, or wanting to go on a fancy vacation, but knowing it doesn't fit with our budget at this time. For those times I need to remind myself of all the things I do have, and appreciate them, which I do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results