shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning eyeglasses

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
What do you use to clean your eyeglasses? I was prescribed "progressive" lens glasses a few months ago after having had Lasik in 2001 (I'm now 46) and although I love my frames and how they look on my face I'm having a hell of a time keeping the lenses clean. They seem to get covered in tiny spots and smudges throughout the day even though I make a conscious effort not to touch them. They're Verilux lenses, if that makes any difference. I bought the lens cleaning cloths and the spray from Lenscrafters (where I bought the glasses) but they don't seem to do anything except spread the smudges around. I've taken to cleaning them with regular dish soap and warm water with my fingers 2x/day as recommended on internet searches, but it seems that after a few hours they're dirty/spotty again. I also use the microfiber cloth that came with them, but it doesn't get them 100% clean/smudge-free. It's driving me crazy, so I was wondering if my wonderful PS friends had any insight/ideas on better ways to keep them clean.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I use disposable Zeiss lens wipes from SAMs Club. Prob used them for 12 yrs now. I recommend them.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cleaning my glasses is an on going irritation for me, so I feel your pain. I used to use dish soap/warm water and my fingers, and then my mom had these certain dish towels that were made out of something that were perfect for drying them off and leaving them nice. I've found a few rags that I use for cleaning the house that work really well..and others suck. I don't know what the difference is. Do you have that Crizal anti glare coating on yours? I have it on mine and I'm positive that's what makes mine so gawd awful to clean. Mom just got new glasses and she got that coating and she was over here the other day cussing up a storm and so irritated she was about jumping up and down b/c she can't keep hers clean-and for the first time she got that Crizal coating on hers.

I won't get that coating anymore. I got it in the first place b/c I was having panic attacks at night years ago b/c lights were a little blurry. But it's been years since I've had a panic attack so I think I can do w/out the coating.

I can clean mine and hold them up to the light again in twenty minutes and there will be crap on them--if my hair moves over the lenses it leaves marks, and I swear the grease on my face magically transfers to the lenses too. ha, I cleaned them about 45 minutes ago, I've been sitting here dinking on the computer, I held them up, yep, crap on them.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I put mine in my ultrasonic; I just hold the ear pieces and dunk the lens while it's on for 30 seconds or so. Pat dry with a paper towel.

It doesn't stop them from getting dirty, of course, but it's a good clean. No smashed around smudges.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
complete-starter-689x600-214x186.jpg

http://lensbath.com/

My optician turned me on to these years ago. The large plastic shaker jar has a sort of baffle inside to keep the eyeglasses from being jostled about as you clean them. You fill the shaker jar about 1/3 full with distilled water, add the requisite amount of cleaning concentrate (about 1 oz), put your glasses in, screw the lid in place, and shake for a few seconds. Then rinse your glasses and dry with the cotton cloth provided. You're left with squeaky clean glasses. The cleaning diluted cleaning solution only needs to be changed every month or so, so the starter kit will last you a long time.

oops - you're asking about cleaning throughout the day. You could get an extra shaker jar and keep it at work. What I did at work though was to wash my glasses with a little dish soap using my fingers, and then dry them with a cotton dish towel from Ikea. Or a new cotton diaper, if you know any new moms that might spot you one. I think the 100% cotton towel is the key - or at least, I've found it works better than any microfiber cloth.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy lens wipes at costco. I carry them with me in my purse and car.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I run hot tap water over mine and use an old T shirt to clean them off. The wipes and eye glass cloths seem to streak for me.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just make sure whatever cloth you use to clean your lenses doesn't have fabric softener residue on it. I have Essilor Varilux progressive lenses and I just use a soft cotton tea towel or a microfibre cloth that is made for cleaning lenses. Make sure you wash the cloths regularly or the oil that accumulates on the cloth will transfer back to your lenses.

I found when I had bangs or layered hair around my face that I always had dirty glasses. It would drive me crazy. I had to resign myself to the fact that I had to clean my glasses numerous times throughout the day. I now have longer hair (past my shoulders) and I don't have as many issues with dirty lenses. I occasionally get lipstick smears that transfers from lips to hair to lenses when it's windy outside. I use lens cleaner (supplied by optician) or mild soap and warm water to remove a very greasy or waxy film. My husband just uses hot water to clean his lenses.

FYI - Never use paper towels or tissue on lenses as the particles can scratch the lenses.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Marcy I use plain tap water (room temp though for me) and an old tee (usually one of my dh's undershirts as they have so many great uses for me much to his chagrin LOL). I also use the t-shirts for my hair to in order to prevent frizz and they work very well in cleaning my glasses. In general water is all you need unless for some reason your glasses are very dirty.

I hate AR coating and that makes cleaning them without streaks more of a challenge. When I ordered AR on my glasses years ago before I realized it I hated it so much I got the coating removed.

And ditto to not using tissues on glasses. That will scratch them as will the more obvious paper towels. Either a microfiber cloth or an old tee works well. I prefer the t-shirt as it is easier to clean the glasses with them IMO.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have anti reflective coating which seams to get smudgy faster. But I would not go without it because it makes the glasses look so much nicer and when wearing, you see my eyes rather than the lens reflection.

Myself and all my kids are very near sided so I have a ton of experience keeping glasses clean.

I know people will cringe when I say what I use, but it works really well and have never damaged lenses. Kleenex and regular glasses cleaner spray that you can buy at any optical store, or even Costco. I find those microfiber clothes are OK when used dry on lenses, but if you use them with cleaner spray, they just smudge around the dirt. The combo of Kleenex and spray works great.

I do also keep glasses cleaner wipes in my car but when I use one, I follow with Kleenex to dry it or the smudges drive me crazy.

Being very near sided, I notice every tiny little bit of dirt that others might not. I clean my glasses like 5x a day and have never ever damaged, scratched, or ruined my lenses or coating using Kleenex. I do want to mention though that I get the kind without any sort of lotion on it.

Do not however use paper towels. I caught my 11 year old using paper towels on her new $300 glasses and oh buy did she get a lecture! Those will scratch the lenses.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear glasses from sun up to sundown and I have to admit, I don't clean them unless they get really gross, so about once a day. (Is that bad to actually admit? :lol: ) Some lenses are better than others and it depends what you have. I have zeiss trivex lenses which are expensive but some of the best ones I've ever had. I have an eye glasses wardrobe ( :lol: ) so I often don't wear the same pair the next day. I had them all outfitted with these types of lenses except my transitions pair. My lenses uses a Zeiss AR coating, which I do indeed like. I have not yet tried Crizal considering they don't coat zeiss lenses but I've heard its ok.

I buy my frames online in plano, then send them to a specialized lab with my prescription. I save money on the frames while getting the type of lenses that I want without spending way too much.

When I clean my lenses I never do it dry because thats a sure way to invite scratches, even using microfiber clothes. I always use eyeglass spray and soft tissue, (bathroom tissue, nose tissue, doesn't matter as long as its soft and clean). In lieu of eyeglass spray, I have in emergencies just used water and with no paper around, used a tshirt. Still, never do it dry and as said before, never use rough paper.

Regular polycarb lenses seem (to me anyway) to scratch easier. But that said, before switching from polycarb to other types of lenses, explore whats out there. Start with your eye doctor's office. In my case, the lab he used didn't offer what I wanted which put me on a path of what I do now.

Oh and btw, yes, your eye doctor should give you a paper copy of your prescription. Its against the law in the US if they don't when you ask for it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just want to elaborate on what I wrote before now that I have a minute.

I would recommend not using tissue paper to clean your eyeglasses. It is made from wood pulp and therefore the potential for scratching your glasses is high though it will take time for you to notice it scratching will happen. It will put fine scratches into your lenses that you won't notice right away but it will damage the lenses eventually.

Also as already mentioned here never clean glasses dry, no matter what material you use. Liquids act as a lubricant and helps reduce friction and the risk of scratching. Water works great.

Don't use hot water as it can "crack" coatings in some cases. Cold or warm water should be fine. And if you have very dirty glasses and need to use something other than water a mild dish soap with water is sufficient and best over anything else as it won't damage any other coatings you might have on the glasses.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
70% alcohol impregnated wipes, the small ones that are used to cleanse the skin prior to being given an injection/having a blood sample taken etc...

Or just soap and water.

DK :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1429760615|3866257 said:

Yup, and wipe my watch with the same wipe.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I actually dip mine in the sink after I'm done cleaning my rings. The sink is filled with hot water that has a mixture of Dawn and some Windex spray. Then I wipe using a bath or hand towel. :sun:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do this two or three times a day.

First rinse under running faucet with warm water to remove anything abrasive that could scratch coatings.
Apply drop of Ivory Liquid dish soap between thumb and first fingertip.
Rub lenses with soapy fingers.
Rinse under warm water.
Dry with freshly-laundered white 100% cotton face towel.
We use no fabric softener in the washer or the dryer so there is no residue left on the lenses.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1429990408|3867745 said:
luv2sparkle|1429760615|3866257 said:
Yup, and wipe my watch with the same wipe.
And my diamonds and coloured stones too.

When I am not rushed, I will spray or pour some Windex or Dawn soap onto each lense, rub under running tap water, rinse and wipe dry with a lint free clothe (or if I am very lazy, 100% cotton shirt).

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use Kenny's routine for the most part. I haven't found any packaged wipes or spray+cloth that work better or quicker than soap and water and lint free cloth. In my case, I believe it is one of the coatings on my glasses (anti-glare maybe) that just seems to instantly attract gunk and smears. They get dirty just from wearing for a few minutes it seems.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is SUCH a Pricescope thread! :lol:

I never clean my glasses unless I'm in my car about to pull out of the driveway and notice they're dirty. Then I breathe on them and wipe them with whatever I'm wearing. :oops:

Whatever. My diamonds are always clean!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband uses fractionated coconut oil as a moisturizer, and while it's great for his skin, it's awful for his glasses lolol :lol: . While DH is in the shower, what I do is stop up the sink, fill with warm water, add a squirt of cheap, regular shampoo, and dunk the glasses into the soapy water and rub gently with my fingers. Then I drain the sink, and rinse with warm water, and leave the glasses on the counter. Voila!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1472754828|4072322 said:
My husband uses fractionated coconut oil as a moisturizer, and while it's great for his skin, it's awful for his glasses lolol :lol: . While DH is in the shower, what I do is stop up the sink, fill with warm water, add a squirt of cheap, regular shampoo, and dunk the glasses into the soapy water and rub gently with my fingers. Then I drain the sink, and rinse with warm water, and leave the glasses on the counter. Voila!

Wow, you rock.

Wanna second hubby? :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results