shape
carat
color
clarity

1 carat F vs G color and with/without fluorescence?

hugkaren

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Newbie here! I've been researching and reading alot about choosing diamonds the last few days and am totally blown away by the how much knowledge there is to it!! I've been trying to utilize what i've read the last few days to choose a diamond for my engagement ring. We really want to have a good cut without compromising too much on the color...but budget is also always a constrain.... I'm looking for color F-G, with excellent cut and brillance and HCA score below 2.

i've narrowed down to a few choices below:

1) http://diamonddealfinder.com/enquiry.php?id_field=874948 - F Color VS1 (faint fluorescence)

2) http://diamonddealfinder.com/enquiry.php?id_field=892719 - G color VS2

3) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-386338 - F color SI1

a) I'm wondering... whether it would be better to choose no. 2 or3 over no. 1 because of the faint fluorescence? It seems there's a risk of the faint fluorescence causing the diamond to be milky/hazy/oily but I don't see any other remarks on the GIA cert. Would I be able to enquire about the effects of faint fluorescence on the diamond from the vendor?

On paper, No. 1 seems pretty good but the faint fluorescence made me hesistate a bit :/

b) Also, I wonder whether USA Cert diamond or B2cjewels (they have the same diamond of No. 1) can send me pics and idealscope/aset pics of the diamonds before I make a purchase?

c) I am also considering this one from Whiteflash due to the excellent cut :http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3114533.htm but i'm a bit picky on the color and i've seen H color diamonds to display a very slight tint of yellow compared to F color. But I really don't know if the exceptional cut of the H diamond could compensate for the color and be better than a F diamond of excellent cut but not to the standard of the H diamond? :confused:

Decisions, decisions....appreciate any help and opinion!!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi hugkaren,
How exciting your future fiancée is a lucky woman. I am not an expert so hopefully a regular can chime in but here goes. . .

a) I think florescence is a matter of preference.
Some people on this forum love it others not so much. I would be cautious bz as you said sometimes it can cause the diamond to be milky/hazy/oily and I am not sure in what lights it actually makes a diamond face up whiter(there has been discussion on this as well).
I would defiantly “enquire about the effects of faint fluorescence on the diamond from the vendor?” before purchasing.

As for the stone options #4 has a bit of a high crown angle for my taste and it scores a 3.6 on the HCA
#1 scores 1.5
#2 scores 1.3 and has fatter arrows w/ a 75 lower half
3# scores 1.5
But no images . . . .

b) “Also, I wonder whether USA Cert diamond or B2cjewels can send me pics and idealscope/aset pics of the diamonds before I make a purchase?”
Good question . . . I would call up the vendor and ask. Personally I felt WAY more comfortable buying a diamond w/ actual photos and idealscope/aset pics than sight unseen. The peace of mind and knowing I would be less likely to want to ship the diamond back(could be a hassle) etc. was well worth it for me.

c) I am also considering this one from Whiteflash due to the excellent cut: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3114533.htm
I think this one is beautiful :love: . . . color is very personal so that is a question only you can answer but as you said when you were viewing the F color vs the H color were they both exceptional cuts?
Check out the upgrade policy at Whiteflash. I have an ACA color G (pendent stone) and it is white to my eyes I could easily go down to an H.

hugkaren

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply!

I have some further information about stone No. 1, the 1 carat F VS1 diamond. I'm attaching the Aset and the idealscope image.

5152909_-_aset_2.jpg
5152909_-idealscope.jpg

It seems quite ok to my untrained eyes overall and it was confirmed the faint flu has no effect on the diamond appearance and it is also eye clean... but i'm concerned there seems to be some serious light leakage around the centre of the diamond from the idealscope and Aset and there is also less intense light return around the sides shown by the Aset.

Does that mean this diamond isn't really good and it is just very average? Or is this diamond still considered high quality and a very good purchase considering the color, clarity, cut and others despite the light leakage? (It is about $7000).

I know there can be better cut diamonds with better light performance but at F and VS1 the price tends to go waaaay up...so just wondering if this is still a good buy :???: :confused:

Would really really appreciate any help and opinion on this!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi hugkaren,
Thanks for posting the Aset and ideal-cope images for diamond #1 having images for the stone really helps people give informed advice. It seems ok to my untrained eyes as well.

Fingers crossed you get some responses from some of the highly knowledgeable pro-sumers on this forum.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, I'm no expert so take this post with a large pinch of salt :tongue: but I think that light leakage in the centre may mean it looks a little dark in the middle - it looks well cut apart from being a bit deep!

Like I say, though, I'm no expert... lol

As a previous (very happy!) buyer, I would suggest taking a look at Wink's selection of Crafted by Infinity diamonds - there are several around your price range, including a 1.04ct F SI2 and a 0.96ct G VS2 that come in only a little over budget when paid for by Wire Transfer, and you could even get a 1.12ct G SI2!
http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/?hpd_search=&min_price=1270&max_price=8500&orderby=carats&min_caret=0.9&max_caret=2.0&min_color=d&max_color=h&min_clarity=&max_clarity=

:))

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
You have to log in to see the ASET image and certificate but from what I -can- see I like the 1.09 better.

hugkaren

Rough_Rock
i'll post the respective data here :)

1.09 carat G VS2
1_382.jpg

1.02 carat G VS2
1_380.jpg

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, the images will help.

Again I don't consider myself an expert of any sort, (perhaps a more prolific poster could chime in) but if you want to go with enchanted diamonds: I like the 1.09 G VS2.

How are you going to set the stone?

hugkaren

Rough_Rock
i'll probably set the stone in solitaire setting or thin pave setting with 6 or 4 prongs :)

waiting to see if others have additional opinions!! I think the 1.09 looks good...just thinking about the clarity aspect. There's some clouds and a feather quite visible in the magnified pic...so i don't know if it is eye clean?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results