shape
carat
color
clarity

Survived a Pterional Craniotomy and a Brain tumor removal.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Survived a Pterional Craniotomy and a Brain tumor remova

Cflutist,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I hate that you are going through your challenge and her death at the same time.
You are doing so well for being only one month out from your surgery [!], I hope you are not too hard on yourself and can relax into healing.

Wow - that is an impressive scar! You are part of the Scar Clan now in more ways than just the physical evidence.
love and warm hugs to you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cf
Glad to hear that you are doing well.. :wavey: :appl: but sorry to hear the news about your friend..(HUGS)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It has been 3 months since I had my operation.

The throbbing headaches are mostly gone, I can walk normally again (without a walker or hiking poles), and I can play my flute again too (well enough that I rehearsed the Bach Brandenburg Concerto #4 with the other two soloists last weekend).

But I do have residual nerve pain as my supraorbital nerve (the one that runs from my eyelid and branches up across my head) and other nerves which were impacted by my operation are trying to regenerate. I am taking medication for this.

My hair looks kind of funky though, some of it started re-growing immediately, while there is a second "crop" of hair follicles that just came to life this month :lol:

Things are looking good and it is time to move on with my life.

Thank you all for the well wishes, prayers, positive thoughts, and "dust".

Smores84 - how is your mother doing?
sarahb - how is your sister doing?
I have been thinking about both of them and hope both are recovering well.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

:wavey:

Wow...you have been through A LOT!! I just got caught up on your thread. You must just be utterly emotionally exhausted from all this.
I was pleased to read your last post that you feel better & that things are going in the right direction, you are improving physically & improving your emotional outlook as well. Do you have to leave the incision line open to air? You can always wear a pretty headband, I wonder if that would work to cover it up. Plus a nice hairband might spruce up your "funky" hair.

I've had my cast off my arm a few weeks not. Overall the surgeon thinks my " hand will return to normal soon". Overall, I go to physio & stretch out my thumb & like you, try to get back to "normal". Just a few more weeks & I should be returning to work. I don't think I'll be attempting to lift 200 ish lbs of unconscious patients as soon as I get back. LOL I have a scar but I don't care. It's a bit of a battle wound. LOL I have cherished the times I was able to babysit & hang out with my neice (3.5) & nephew (5.5). Great kids & a joy to be around. Except when I need to be the heavy & they know it. LOL There was some good that came about with this hand.

I hope you continue to trend upwards to a much speedier recovery. :appl: Don't beat yourself up though ok. Take it one day at a time. You should probably start to think what kind of bling you want to buy when this is is over & done with. I know I know...any excuse for new bling. :naughty:

Judy
:))

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've just seen this thread as I don't visit Hangout very often - I didn't realise you'd been through all this!

I hate being ill so you have my sympathies regarding the impatience for just wanting things to get back to how they were before!

I'm glad to hear you're on the road to recovery; may it be a mere temporary glitch in life and you get back to normal in good time :)) (Although are any of us really 'normal'? :tongue: lol)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So glad to hear you are recovering and can play your flute again! That must have really given you a lift! If you can, I think you should put some wonderful colors in your hair and really funk it up. :lol:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is truly great news Cflutist! I am so very happy for you! Much dust and well wishes for your continued road to health again!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

Glad to hear that things are going well for you! :appl:
I am especially pleased to read that you are practicing playing the flute with your peers again!

I agree with CCUHEARTNURSE, a bling gift to commemorate your recovery would be great! :dance:

Continuing to pray for complete and total healing and no pain :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cflutist, j had no idea you were going through this. I haven't read the entire thread and will do so now but hope your recovery has been going well.

I see you are now playing again. So happy for you that your recovery has progressed well. Much dust for continued progress. And yes this surely deserves new bling!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YAY! So glad you are doing well and playing the flute again. :appl:

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock

Cflutist, I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

cflutist|1434086378|3888236 said:
It has been 3 months since I had my operation.

The throbbing headaches are mostly gone, I can walk normally again (without a walker or hiking poles), and I can play my flute again too (well enough that I rehearsed the Bach Brandenburg Concerto #4 with the other two soloists last weekend).

But I do have residual nerve pain as my supraorbital nerve (the one that runs from my eyelid and branches up across my head) and other nerves which were impacted by my operation are trying to regenerate. I am taking medication for this.

My hair looks kind of funky though, some of it started re-growing immediately, while there is a second "crop" of hair follicles that just came to life this month :lol:

Things are looking good and it is time to move on with my life.

Thank you all for the well wishes, prayers, positive thoughts, and "dust".

Smores84 - how is your mother doing?
sarahb - how is your sister doing?
I have been thinking about both of them and hope both are recovering well.

Thanks for sharing your update. I'm thrilled that you are doing so well and moving forward with your life. You've been through so much and it sounds like you have a really good attitude about it all. I wish you continued wellness!!!! =)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ccuheartnurse
Ooohshiny
Catmom
luv2sparkle
crystal24k
LLJsmom
missy
DiaDiva
momhappy

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words.
There is something else that I'm really happy about too.

As part of my surgery, the neurosurgeon had to cut and re-attach the temporalis muscle to my jaw.
It hurt to talk and while in the hospital, they were feeding me mechanically soft foods like
pureed pot roast, pureed carrots, pureed green beans, etc. It looked gross, but tasted pretty good.

When I got home I discovered that I could not open my mouth very wide and it hurt to chew.
At my follow-up appointment, the neurosurgeon showed me jaw-stretching exercises which
I faithfully did because I knew that I had an appointment with the dentist to clean my teeth in June.
When I started, I could barely get two fingers vertically in my mouth. I can get three in my mouth
now and the dentist successfully cleaned my teteh last week. The things we take for granted.
Will continue to work on this because it is still not back to its Pre-Op condition.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock

So happy for your recovery! I just read your thread.Thanks for sharing your experience with a very scary health issue. You are very courageous and have such a wonderful attitude! Wishing you only the best with your continued healing process.

Smores84

Shiny_Rock

Hi Cflutist :wavey:

So great to hear that you're doing well, and continuing to get even better & stronger!!

Thanks for asking about my mom. Unfortunately, her tumor has already invaded one of the major blood vessels of the brain, so they were able to remove only part of the tumor.

Take good care of yourself and keep us updated on your progress =)

- Smores

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hi Cflutist, so wonderful to read your recovery is continuing. It is a miracle, isn't it? I always think how truly fortunate we both are for all the blessings bestowed on us. It's rather humbling to go through a surgery like yours & my hip earlier this year--I am, & I'm sure you as well, are reminded daily of just how much we have to appreciate. & I'm not talking material things.

As for my sister, her outcome was as yours was, benign (thank goodness), & going through the same recovery albeit differently; etc, but getting 'there' none the less. Thank you for thinking of her! She's really bounced back, but the journey is not complete, she's kind of emotional these days, I've been her go to phone call (many teary phone calls) but she'll get there, I have no doubt. :appl:

And Smores84: I hope your mom is doing well and they figure out what to do with the rest of the tumor. From what you've shared (& excuse me if I missed additional details you may have posted) I hope the pathology finding was benign? Best wishes to her, you & your family with this journey.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sarahb|1434811342|3891733 said:
Hi Cflutist, so wonderful to read your recovery is continuing. It is a miracle, isn't it? I always think how truly fortunate we both are for all the blessings bestowed on us. It's rather humbling to go through a surgery like yours & my hip earlier this year--I am, & I'm sure you as well, are reminded daily of just how much we have to appreciate. & I'm not talking material things.

As for my sister, her outcome was as yours was, benign (thank goodness), & going through the same recovery albeit differently; etc, but getting 'there' none the less. Thank you for thinking of her! She's really bounced back, but the journey is not complete, she's kind of emotional these days, I've been her go to phone call (many teary phone calls) but she'll get there, I have no doubt. :appl:

And Smores84: I hope your mom is doing well and they figure out what to do with the rest of the tumor. From what you've shared (& excuse me if I missed additional details you may have posted) I hope the pathology finding was benign? Best wishes to her, you & your family with this journey.

Smores84 and bbziggy, thank you for your kind words. Smores84, I hope your mom is recovering as well.

sarahb - glad to read that you are recovering as well. As far as your sister, my neurosurgeon said that it is very common to be emotional and/or depressed following brain surgery. I was crying multiple times a day (I just didn't post everything here) and more infrequently now although I cried yesterday. I noticed that "normal" things would cause me to have emotional outburts. A week ago I was "psycho" woman according to my dear hubby. I don't remember the trigger, but will admit to being in a rage, which caused me to throw all of the freshly laundered tee-shirts, underwear, and socks from the bed onto the floor (I knew that I wouldn't damage anything by doing it). I did laugh when I picked it all up later :lol: Hubby was smart enough to not enter the bedroom when I was having my meltdown.

My best advice to her is to be patient and take it slow. Things will get better. Good luck to your sister.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have been away and didn't know about your ordeal.

Congrats on making it this far with grace and style and the meltdowns you deserve to have.

So glad to read that it was benign and you are back to walking and playing the flute. :D :D :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results