shape
carat
color
clarity

Dental implant - scared! Does anyone know about them?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I found out one of my teeth is in bad shape. My dentist is recommending a dental implant. I am kind of a baby on this stuff and just thinking about it is making me scared! The tooth is halfway back in my mouth, not a front tooth thank goodness, but still.

Has anyone had this or know if they work out well??? Any comment soooo appreciated :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, thanks for this, I took a look at the thread - I don't know if I feel better or worse....... sigh.......This dumb tooth, went wrong when I was 18 and here I am still fooling with it. boo hooo hooo

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beacon|1359675728|3369061 said:
Skippy, thanks for this, I took a look at the thread - I don't know if I feel better or worse....... sigh.......This dumb tooth, went wrong when I was 18 and here I am still fooling with it. boo hooo hooo

My dentist said implants are the best because with a bridge they have to shave down the side teeth (since the side teeth don't have cavities). Does your tooth hurt right now? Is it a tooth that had a root canal? Whenever I actually get it done; I think I will get 2 opinions and also go with someone that has a great track record. I am sorry you need one!! I feel you on being nervous; I hate teeth work too!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had one in my front tooth and as terrified as I was of the anesthesia portion, the actual 'work' being done and recover, was a complete BREEZE for me! Its a few step process as I recall. The implant 'screw' first, then recover. Then the 'head' once the bone has accepted the 'screw'. The last portion was the installation of the tooth - which seems intense, but it was really just screwing the tooth to the base in your jaw. Easy Peasy-- not to mention the drugs were AWESOME!! (ok, not in a "I love drugs" way, but there was no pain and I was out like a light so never felt a THING in terms of discomfort... except in my wallet! Man they are not cheap!!!

If you have coverage - go for it! Not a single moment of any issues since having this done over 4 years ago.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
No it doesn't really hurt that much, but sometimes I have felt some twinges in it. Dentist says there is too much decay in it. Right now it has a crown, never had a root canal. But he says that it would be an undertaking to try and do a root canal recrown it and that long run it might be better to just implant it now.

It seems like a good idea but worries me as I don't know much about it. I wish i had better care of my teeth when I was younger :(

Sigh. Very good point of getting a few opinions. I am a nervous nell on this stuff. I just took a 3 mile walk to try and take my mind off it. Kinda worked. Kinda. Plus now I think I feel it much more. Didn't have any problems with that til after my phone call with the dentist today....ha! The mind is so powerful. Wish I could make it work for me rather than against me.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I had one done in 2011. My face swelled a little and there was some pain but was easily controled with the meds. In fact the next day I drove from AZ to CA by myself. After a few months, my dentist attached the tooth. A quick in and out visit. I have to say that the area was tender for quite awhile. When I talked to another dentist, he said my long appt, over 2 hrs, was not usual. He kept leaving the room. The dentist doing the surgery was very stingy with the gas which pissed me off. I paid $140 for it and only felt it once! Are you being knocked out?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Someone told me she had the implant and during the process she had to use an oral rinse called chlorhexidine that turned her tongue brown. Eeeek. Did you guys have to do that rinse or was that something that not everyone has to do?

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Beacon|1359699205|3369365 said:
Someone told me she had the implant and during the process she had to use an oral rinse called chlorhexidine that turned her tongue brown. Eeeek. Did you guys have to do that rinse or was that something that not everyone has to do?

I don't remember my tongue turning brown but you don't want to drink any water right after. It makes it taste really bad.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
My poor sister has had several. No problem, hardly any pain. The only downside, she says, is that it feels weird while the pin is healing in, before they put on the tooth. Other than that (which doesn't hurt), it's easy.

The fear is far worse than the actual procedure -- try not to project. Honestly, you're not gonna die! :D Soon it will be a distant memory.

--- Laurie

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
+1 to the 'fear is worse than the procedure' thinking. We are always our own worst enemies!! The medication helps with any post discomfort and there will be anesthesia during the process. It really is simple and they will be a better investment than a bridge - they have to be replaced over time, where as an implant is almost indestructible.

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
Beacon, Let us know how your implant consultation went, I am a DA and I work for a periodontist! We do implants at my office! If you have any questions?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I am getting one - haven't had my consult yet. My biggest fear is the pulling of the tooth. It's a tooth that had a root canal and a post and crown put on. The post and crown fell out a couple years ago (right before the IVF transfer so I couldn't do anything at that time because I couldn't be on any pain meds) and then baby life got in the way. Since it's root canaled the dentist wasn't too concerned with leaving it as is until I was ready for the implant which we are now. I've never had a tooth pulled and I'm terrified of that more than anything. I have always had terrible teeth no matter how much I do to them every day so I'm no stranger to dental work but this really scares me for some reason.

denversmith

Rough_Rock
I had my Dental Implant of 4 upper teeth. one and half year ago . While certainly an uncomfortable procedure, it is major oral surgery, neither had any trouble. Certainly not painful or in the way once the initial surgery wore off/healed. And yes, the surgeon installs a titanium post and a temporary crown. That has to heal before the final crown is installed. The process takes a few months.
If you have a gap in your teeth, missing a molar, then listen to your dentist. Leaving a gap will cause the other teeth to drift in an attempt to fill the gap. That causes all sorts of difficulties.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too! Front tooth as well. No problems - no pain - just a scary "thought". But really it was fine!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uhm... this thread is over two years old. I trust Beacon has had that tooth taken care of by now! ;))

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I don't have one, but would not hesitate to get one if I lost a tooth for any reason. I had a root canal that went bad and had to have it redone. I was warned it might not take and I might lose the tooth anyway. I went ahead and did the second root canal and the tooth still bothers me. I'm hoping I will get to keep my own tooth, but have already decided that if I lose the tooth I will definitely go with an implant. My sons teacher just had 2 implants and she is thrilled with them. Says they are just like her regular teeth. It was a long process but she said it was worth it

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I had one done almost 10 years ago and I have not had a problem with it. My dentist recommended it as it was a front tooth and I was in my twenties at the time. It wasn't painful at all!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results