shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Feel This Is "Bridal"?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The article "At Bridal Fashion Week, Sultry and Provocative" shows some stars from the gowns that will lead the Spring 2016 bridal lines. I am older than the average poster here, although I would have to call on Dancing Fire to find out by exactly how many years. ;)) Am I the only one who wants to say, these are beautiful gowns, but I wouldn't want to wear one on my wedding day? Maybe so. Because I wouldn't wear a strapless wedding gown, and everyone has been wearing one for years. How much of a stretch is it to go from strapless to plunging neckline? After all, both fashions are acceptable at society balls. Some (well, a few) of the gowns featured are traditional-and actually beautiful-but many are, in my opinion, on the fringes of fashion. I would expect to see them on Hollywood stars on the red carpet, not on brides. By the way, I think every bride should wear what she wants. Exactly what she wants. I am sort of asking, "would you want this?".

Opinions?

Link to slide show...http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/20/fashion/at-bridal-fashion-week-sultry-and-provocative.html?hpw&rref=fashion&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0#

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

nytimesbride.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of the gowns are incredibly gorgeous and yes, I would wear them on my wedding day. The Amsale and the Oscar de la Renta come to mind.

The plunging necklines and the peek-a-boo gowns are not for me. The white suits are (sometimes) preferred in same-sex weddings and I love them!

Can I just ask, what in the world is Vera Wang doing these days? Yuck!!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the link! I actually love these dresses; not because I would personally wear all of them, but because we are finally (FINALLY!) seeing something other than strapless gowns! Illusion tops, sleeves, straps- lovely. And I liked the different shapes and textures that are finding their way in, too.

The thing about the runway is that very few brides will wear these gowns as is; the runway is for art, for exploration and pushing boundaries, playing with shapes and feelings. Vera Wang will produce these gowns, but they won't be her best sellers. The more ready to wear looks based off of these will. Not many every day brides will want to walk down the aisle in their underwear, but the shapes and the slip- like vibe of that dress may very well prove to be popular in a more concealing fabric.

But the very best trend in this collection? The tiaras on Neem Kahn's runway :love: :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too loved the majority of these gowns and suits. There was the titillation factor of the one Deb showed (really? On my wedding day? Don't think so...) but the majority were so elegant and so reminiscent of 40's glamor styling. Anyway, I loved many of them; some I would absolutely consider for a wedding dress, others I might wear to the Academy Awards (since I'm invited every year :wink2: ).

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my there were some lovely gowns in there! And some... will probably intended mostly to grab headlines and will likely never make it out of the showroom. I'm surprised that Vera Wang had two gowns in that category - it seems like kind of a desperation play. (Then again, the slide show was curated by some NYT editor - maybe its the NYT that was looking for more attention!)

I do miss the days when we had an active bridal forum, and brides shared their searches and we got to see and comment on the contenders! We certainly had some lovely and memorable gowns - and of course, lovely brides - on the Brides Worldwide forum!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They run from classy and ultra elegant to ridiculous...and the one you posted is pretty ridiculous for the wedding, maybe ok for the honeymoon! :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I thought the majority of them were gorgeous!

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't really get what was going on with the one that AGBF posted until I clicked on the link and saw it bigger. Woah. Maybe there is some sort of under-piece that would "complete" this dress and then it might be very pretty...?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know what to expect after seeing that first one lol - my first thought was someone forgot to finish making it. It's like getting married in your underwear! :cheeky:

I thought most of the dresses were elegant and chic, and I would be comfortable wearing them. I thought the pantsuits were lovely. The dresses with plunging necklines, back lines, and crazy cut-outs aren't for me…but I guess, as others have said, these styles are designed more for the runway and intended to be avant-garde.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I keep telling DH that, when I am in my 80's, I fully expect to see just plain naked people tromping around. On regular TV commercials, the celebs, all kinds of naked. :shock:

I think that first dress is inappropriate and tacky.

Last time I commented that a particular dress was tacky, I got piled on by a bunch of posters. Didn't change my mind, I still think that dress -and this one- is tacky. :rolleyes:

Excuse me, but I think people should be Dressed. :)

I saw an episode of that bridal show - love the dress I think it's called? - and a woman choose a dress very similar to this. You could plainly see her underwear through the bodice. Her dad thought she looked "Lovely".

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I like many of the dresses and some of them I would wear. The 28th gown (Oscar De La Renta) is divine and the back on the last gown (#38) is simply gorgeous. I wouldn't wear any of the peek-a-boo/see-through designs that show midriffs and/or undergarments - nor would I wear a plunging v neckline on my wedding day.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1429724480|3865945 said:
They run from classy and ultra elegant to ridiculous...and the one you posted is pretty ridiculous for the wedding, maybe ok for the honeymoon! :lol:
ha!

:clap:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1429728741|3865983 said:
I keep telling DH that, when I am in my 80's, I fully expect to see just plain naked people tromping around. On regular TV commercials, the celebs, all kinds of naked. :shock:

Last time I commented that a particular dress was tacky, I got piled on by a bunch of posters. Didn't change my mind, I still think that dress -and this one- is tacky. :rolleyes:

I saw an episode of that bridal show - love the dress I think it's called? - and a woman choose a dress very similar to this. You could plainly see her underwear through the bodice. Her dad thought she looked "Lovely".
Oh yes, the pnina tornai gowns! They were basically lingerie on the top!!!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Agree with most of what everyone said above. A small and tastefully placed transparent panel here and there is fine, but full display of undergarments is just tacky, and I do not think they look bridal at all. I love the pantsuits. More is more in my opinion. I'm a pretty convervative 40+ year old though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, I think many of them are very lovely. Not the first one however and not the one with plunging necklines or huge cutouts.

I hate the first one which is basically just see through and not appropriate for anything but the honeymoon lol DiamondSeeker. I totally agree.

I also do not usually care for dresses with cut-outs on the sides or front. Not a fan unless it is a cutout on the back.

My favorite is #14. Beautiful.

iLander said:

iLander, that will never happen because there is not enough money for the advertisers and manufacturers and designers etc if we all go naked. Fashion is big business even if we are half naked much of the time at least we are spending money. :lol:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad strapless is not the only choice anymore- I love a beautiful neckline-not a plunging one. Not a fan of the tattoo illusion-looks like ice skating costumes. I would rather put the $$ in the honeymoon or the rings than in a dress that is worn for 6 hours and hanging in a closet-never to be worn again-for 40 years.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1429724480|3865945 said:

My thoughts exactly. I would consider wearing maybe 1 or 2 of those dresses on my wedding day. And seriously, what IS up with Vera Wang these days? I mean, that BOW on #26? :o

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Yes, the Vera Wang gown is certainly disappointing :nono: She usually has such gorgeous designs...

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I was curious about Vera, so I went on her web site. She has some see-through designs for Spring 2015, fall 2015, and spring 2016 is the worst :shock: :
http://www.verawang.com/EN/wedding/bridal-collection/spring-2016
If you click on the individual pictures, you can see them in more detail. Most of them in the 2016 collection are completely see-through almost from head to toe. Who wears these???

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1429743061|3866087 said:
I was curious about Vera, so I went on her web site. She has some see-through designs for Spring 2015, fall 2015, and spring 2016 is the worst :shock: :
If you click on the individual pictures, you can see them in more detail. Most of them in the 2016 collection are completely see-through almost from head to toe. Who wears these???
Maybe no one wears them. Maybe these dresses are just a creative outlet for Vera? Otherwise, as said before, they are night things. These are the only explanations I can come up with, as some of these dresses are completely inappropriate.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly I couldn't get the link to open on my work-computer (too many darn fire-walls!) but I agree that some of the more see-through risque designs these days are not really suitable for weddings although I am soooooooo glad to see less strapless puffy "toilet-dolly" designs... :knockout:

I had a v-neck design for my own wedding dress and my Mum thought there was just a hint too much cleavage but I remember joking I had to get him down the aisle somehow... :lol:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1429744340|3866096 said:
I remember joking I had to get him down the aisle somehow... :lol:

This made me literally LOL! :lol: :lol:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1429743767|3866093 said:
Maybe no one wears them. Maybe these dresses are just a creative outlet for Vera? Otherwise, as said before, they are night things. These are the only explanations I can come up with, as some of these dresses are completely inappropriate.

Yes, certainly not all runway fashion is meant for the real world. However, runway fashion usually inspires some real world trends, so I'm guessing that the see-through look may carry over in one form or another.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the 38 dresses in the slideshow were stunning. I don't find it especially flattering or appropriate to show large chunks of belly/mid section nude or your under garments on prominent display. I wonder what the family parents, grandparents and friends would think of a bride that showed up revealing underwear. I once posted a pic of a girl with her breasts falling out of a wedding gown leaving little to the imagination and was informed that it is perfectly appropriate in Gypsy culture for example to have the ladies best assets out on display so I guess Deb, it's not your and my style or idea of classy but it is acceptable in some cultural contexts.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1429745180|3866109 said:

Yes, certainly not all runway fashion is meant for the real world. However, runway fashion usually inspires some real world trends, so I'm guessing that the see-through look may carry over in one form or another.

Swell. That's just what we need: poorly done sheer bridal gowns. :knockout:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1429744698|3866099 said:
HotPozzum|1429744340|3866096 said:
I remember joking I had to get him down the aisle somehow... :lol:

This made me literally LOL! :lol: :lol:

+1

Lololol . . . dat funny. :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:

There were several that I thought were beautiful and some have already been named...I think we have great taste around here! ;))

But I LOVE #28 Oscar de la Renta. I think that is such an elegant dress!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were a lot I wan't fond of. The first one is ridiculous. What kind of exhibitionist do you have to be to want all your guests to see every ever lovin thing you've got! Sheesh! I don't like the plunging necklines. All the models are very small busted so it is not really offensive, but in the real world it would be much more..... I have been to a few weddings where I thought the brides "girls" were going to make a special appearance!

I did adore the Oscar De La Renta at the end. That dress is amazing!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked about 2/3rds of them and would wear or think they could be appropriately worn by most people. There were a handful that were just too little coverage. Love Caroline Herrera and Amsale! The Reem Acra ones were the worst in my opinion.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1429756434|3866220 said:
momhappy|1429745180|3866109 said:

Swell. That's just what we need: poorly done sheer bridal gowns. :knockout:

:lol: Yes, at least we knew these were made by incredibly talented designers. Even the ones I didn't care for still seemed to have sort of a dreamy, elegant quality to them that would surely be lost in translation ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results