shape
carat
color
clarity

Apple Watch

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There doesn't seem to be a proper place to post this, so I figured since it comes in different colors, the colored stone forum may be the place.

Anyone here going to buy one? If so, which one? Any thoughts?

I know TL will won't think it's hard enough for every day wear..... or see gray in the green green band.... :tongue:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Both hubby and son are have pre-ordered them, though what they're going to do with them I have no idea. :bigsmile: I have no idea which one, I thought there was only one. I know it's not the gold one, does that help?

Our first Apple was the SE, back in the day . . . DH parked one in my office for 6 months before I would touch it. He was using his to draw circles and lines without a rapidograph and that made me envious, so I finally started using it. Since then, I think we've had every Apple product they've produced. Fast forward all these years and DH is an Apple authorized developer of apps (mostly as a hobby), meanwhile I still have an iPhone 4. A match made in heaven, lol. :D

You might consider asking Ella to move this to Hangout, that's where we usually chat about stuff like this.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
15000.00 for the gold one is outrageous. I'm thinking of getting the middle one, but still haven't decided.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
soberguy|1429632997|3865340 said:
15000.00 for the gold one is outrageous. I'm thinking of getting the middle one, but still haven't decided.

But it's only $35 per ct. So by that measure it's pretty cheap compared to most stones, and a heck of a lot more useful. I have yet to find a real use for a gemstone.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1429562886|3865016 said:
I know TL will won't think it's hard enough for every day wear..... or see gray in the green green band.... :tongue:

LOL, too funny! :cheeky:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I wanted one (the rose gold) until I saw the price tag - I think it was around $16,000 :shock:
My thing is that I wouldn't wear it all the time. I tried on the basic (sporty) model and it was too big. The cheapest model that fit me started at $750 and I just don't think that's worth it for me. My DH preordered his.

Elirock

Rough_Rock
No offense but the Edition Apple watch is just not a smart purchase, it's basically Apple trying to be the new Rolex.

The watch itself isn't amazing, it has an 18 hour battery life, it can only preform basic actions as a smart watch (and in my opinion it just doesn't look that great)

I can probably search "smart watch" on google and get 20 better watches for 1% the price

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Elirock|1429641734|3865410 said:
No offense but the Edition Apple watch is just not a smart purchase, it's basically Apple trying to be the new Rolex.

The watch itself isn't amazing, it has an 18 hour battery life, it can only preform basic actions as a smart watch (and in my opinion it just doesn't look that great)

I can probably search "smart watch" on google and get 20 better watches for 1% the price

Well, I bought 2 of them, not the "Edition". To me, it's a much better purchase than a diamond.

The diamond performs no basic actions, and really serves no useful purpose. I can cut a CZ that looks just like the diamond for less than 1% of the price. At least with the watch I can check the time, and use it to board an flight. I suppose with the diamond I could scratch things....

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Debating about getting one, but my DH really wants one, so if he gets one I'll end up with one too.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bit! I'm getting the SS with leather band.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

No offense taken ;-) However, I don't see a comparison between an Apple watch and any other watch brand? Comparing an Apple watch to a Rolex for example is not an apples to apples comparison. One is essentially a smart phone/computer and the other simply tells time. I'm sure that there are plenty of other good smart watch models on the market, but for those of us who enjoy/purchase Apple products, the Apple watch makes more sense than another brand of smart watch. Now if you want to buy a Rolex, that's a whole different thread... :lol:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't plan to buy one any time soon...when I see the commercials for them, I think, "no way," however, years back, I use to think the same about texting and fancy cell phones and now I cannot survive without my iPhone, so WHO KNOWS what I'll decide in the future.

I don't think I'd get a gold one though. Mine would be platinum with diamonds. hehe

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Considering that I've only had my smart phone - or any mobile phone, for that matter - for about a year, I think it's safe to say that I won't be getting an apple watch anytime soon. Besides, I love wearing my "cocktail" size vintage watches. BUT the watch face options they've been showing in their ads are very, very cool. If Apple would release a few of those for the iphone, I'd be a happy camper.

Elirock

Rough_Rock
momhappy said:

No offense taken ;-) However, I don't see a comparison between an Apple watch and any other watch brand? Comparing an Apple watch to a Rolex for example is not an apples to apples comparison. One is essentially a smart phone/computer and the other simply tells time. I'm sure that there are plenty of other good smart watch models on the market, but for those of us who enjoy/purchase Apple products, the Apple watch makes more sense than another brand of smart watch. Now if you want to buy a Rolex, that's a whole different thread... :lol:

I was mentioning Rolex because its a company that makes expansive watches for people who, how am I going to put this, want to show off their wealth?

why do you think they made the Edition Apple watch? they want people to pay them more money so these people can show others that they have 15000$.

also ive done the google search and found Pebble, which has an actual reasonable price and way better functionality and it took me less then 5 seconds to find it.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Elirock what is the "way better functionality" of the Pebble watch? I had a look at their website, the watch and screen look like something from 1995. The screen isn't even color, much less a retina display.

Elirock

Rough_Rock
PrecisionGem said:
Elirock what is the "way better functionality" of the Pebble watch? I had a look at their website, the watch and screen look like something from 1995. The screen isn't even color, much less a retina display.

I was talking about Pebble Time, which does have colour and when I said Functionality I meant it has a battery life of a week, you don't have to pay another hundred euros for a sport version as you can literally download an app for free that will do that. In fact it can have anything you want in it as it has thousands of applications that works with it, and all that I got from a quick look at the Pebble website.

FYI, I have nothing aginst the Apple watch, just something aginst its price and what you really get for it.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Elirock|1429683866|3865696 said:
momhappy said:

I was mentioning Rolex because its a company that makes expansive watches for people who, how am I going to put this, want to show off their wealth?

why do you think they made the Edition Apple watch? they want people to pay them more money so these people can show others that they have 15000$.

also ive done the google search and found Pebble, which has an actual reasonable price and way better functionality and it took me less then 5 seconds to find it.

I guess that I look at it differently. For some people who own a luxury brand watch (Rolex, etc.), switching to an Apple watch might be a tough sell. I have a couple of luxury brand watches and part of my problem with the Apple watch is that I really like my current watches and don't like/need/want/ technology enough to replace my watches with an Apple watch. I see the more expensive Apple watches marketed for those who want something luxurious to replace their existing luxury watch. If you're someone who's into nice watches to begin with, then the high-end Apple watches are going to appeal to you. I agree that they are not for everyone and I may or may not end up with one myself.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I preordered a 38mm sport with a white band. I have also ordered a pink band and a black band (a girl's gotta have options right??). My Husband is usually first on everything apple, but he wants the one that is $1099, which although he does not mind spending the money, he does not feel its worth the cost. He also wears one of his Rolex watches on a daily basis and his Garmin GPS watch when working out, so he does not foresee himself wearing it enough to justify cost.

We did make a try on appt at apple and he disliked the bracelet on the 1099 one, it was "pinchy". I'm trying to talk into the black 42mm sport, but as of yet, he is not on board.

I bought mine to replace my fitbit, as well as for work. I have my cellphone in my pocket, but usually unable to touch it. I also love the fact that you can send your heartbeat and draw pictures to people. There is also a walkie talkie function which would be awesome for in the house since we are always yelling "I CANT HEAR YOU!" - but this would entail my husband getting one. I have a few friends who have also preordered so i will get to at least check out the features with some people.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wonder if you can get one and just put a screensaver of a different famous diamond on it every day. THAT might make it somewhat more appealing to the bling-lovin' demographic ....

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I already feel like my iphone 6 is too small. I get all squinty on it. Now you're telling me we are shrinking it down to a watch?

When are we going to invent something fashionable that entails wearing our notebook computers? THAT is what I need.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Elirock|1429714241|3865846 said:
PrecisionGem said:

I was talking about Pebble Time, which does have colour and when I said Functionality I meant it has a battery life of a week, you don't have to pay another hundred euros for a sport version as you can literally download an app for free that will do that. In fact it can have anything you want in it as it has thousands of applications that works with it, and all that I got from a quick look at the Pebble website.

FYI, I have nothing aginst the Apple watch, just something aginst its price and what you really get for it.

It looks like the Pebble Time will sell for $299. The Apple Watch Sport is just $50 more in the 38mm model or $100 more in the 42mm.

For this you get a retina display, with touch. The Pebble as a low resolution display with no touch. The build quality of the Apple watch looks a lot nicer than the Pebble, and the Pebble has no heart rate monitor. I don't think you can answer a phone call from the Pebble like you can on the Apple Watch. To me, the Pebble doesn't really look like competition to the Apple watch. But I suggest you buy one and see.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1429735459|3866035 said:
I already feel like my iphone 6 is too small. I get all squinty on it. Now you're telling me we are shrinking it down to a watch?

When are we going to invent something fashionable that entails wearing our notebook computers? THAT is what I need.

:lol: +1

You know, my iphone 6 has shrinkage syndrome, too! I thought it was so big when I got it!

(Not interested in the watch...I prefer jewelry quality watches.)

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My Apple Watch arrived Friday. I couldn't be happier with it. The quality of the watch and even the packaging is exactly what you would expect from Apple. In the two days with the watch, I haven't taken the phone out of my pocket or picked it up yet. It looks like I'll get 2 full days out of a charge, but I'm sure on days I travel I'll end up using it more, and then may only get 1 day from a charge. That's fine with me, no problem to charge it overnight, I would never sleep with a watch on.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Our 19 yo son received his Friday--he graduated from HS last year & this is what he wanted. He was home from college for dinner tonight, & LOVES his watch. It has some really neat aspects--I love how the emoji's facial expressions change--it is a cool thing no doubt. Apple has done a wonderful job with many products IMHO.

I sort of think it has the same functionality as the phone. I can understand the ease of having messages, notifications, email etc etc & all the other apps right on your wrist. I just don't think I'd want to trade in my watch though--I like it & wouldn't want to stop wearing it. But can totally understand his attraction to it. I fall into the DS & House Cat camp.... :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1429760159|3866253 said:
House Cat|1429735459|3866035 said:

:lol: +1

You know, my iphone 6 has shrinkage syndrome, too! I thought it was so big when I got it!

(Not interested in the watch...I prefer jewelry quality watches.)

Haha I feel the same way. The bigger the better so I can read it these days lol.

Glad to hear though that those who are purchasing it are enjoying the watch. :appl:
There is definitely a good market for these obviously.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1430009148|3867810 said:
My Apple Watch arrived Friday. I couldn't be happier with it. The quality of the watch and even the packaging is exactly what you would expect from Apple. In the two days with the watch, I haven't taken the phone out of my pocket or picked it up yet. It looks like I'll get 2 full days out of a charge, but I'm sure on days I travel I'll end up using it more, and then may only get 1 day from a charge. That's fine with me, no problem to charge it overnight, I would never sleep with a watch on.

Glad you like it, and that it lives up to your expectations.

Boys toys spring to mind, however, how one spends his/her money is entirely up to him/her!

DK :bigsmile:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Elirock|1429683866|3865696 said:
momhappy said:

My DH and I had Pebbles, we had 3 break in 2 years.

Other then the breaking not working issue, which I attribute to being bugs since they were the first watches pebble launched, they are really great. BUT they are limited to what you can do. DH can read texts, see who is calling and change music in the car. The apple watch is better integrated if you have other apple products. So if you have an iPhone,and want a smart watch the apple watch is a pretty good option. BUT if you don't have an iPhone or apple products it's MUCH better to get a Pebble IMHO.

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
This! There's lots about it I'd like but I don't want or intend to ditch my Cartier watch. The ads really turned my head but I don't think it would really be my style on either. I have tiny twig wrists.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveLikeCrazy|1429731806|3866013 said:
I preordered a 38mm sport with a white band. I have also ordered a pink band and a black band (a girl's gotta have options right??). My Husband is usually first on everything apple, but he wants the one that is $1099, which although he does not mind spending the money, he does not feel its worth the cost. He also wears one of his Rolex watches on a daily basis and his Garmin GPS watch when working out, so he does not foresee himself wearing it enough to justify cost.

We did make a try on appt at apple and he disliked the bracelet on the 1099 one, it was "pinchy". I'm trying to talk into the black 42mm sport, but as of yet, he is not on board.

I bought mine to replace my fitbit, as well as for work. I have my cellphone in my pocket, but usually unable to touch it. I also love the fact that you can send your heartbeat and draw pictures to people. There is also a walkie talkie function which would be awesome for in the house since we are always yelling "I CANT HEAR YOU!" - but this would entail my husband getting one. I have a few friends who have also preordered so i will get to at least check out the features with some people.

All those things you mention, I love those! I want one, wanted one since I saw the commercial where you can draw a pic and send it to someone. I *thought* I would have to decide between this and a FitBit---does the Apple watch also work as a pedometer? If so, I'm getting it!!

Good thread, Gene, and good to hear from you. I keep looking for a frosted star/etc in your blog releases and I haven't seen one in the longest time!! So if one day you have some likely rough for such a gem, you have a buyer :wavey: here!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results