shape
carat
color
clarity

Cheered Myself Up With a Pearl Purchase from PP!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feeling down tonight, so I treated myself to some large metallic pear-shaped drops from PP! http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3646-white-metallic-drop-pearl-french-wire-earrings.aspx

I got the biggest size, the Big Daddy 9-10mm! And I was able to get 14% off with code FEB14. The style of the earrings is very simple but I think they'll have presence and be very feminine. Usually I stick to white metals, but with the wire being so thin I thought they'd look a touch more expensive in yellow gold, so I chose that.

Can't wait to get them!

Off to bed feeling cheered up. Retail therapy does work!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
those would cheer me up as well!
ear shots will be mandatory....please.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait for ear shots! And yes, retail therapy does work! :)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
The are beautiful! Please post lots of photos when they arrive!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Great present Jambalaya!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing like a beautiful pearls to get you out of the funk. Congratulations jambalaya.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Pearl therapy is the way to go. Would love to see ear shots. Well done!

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
very beautiful Jambalaya, i hope you woke up feeling better today

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, all! Yes, I will post shots. I have a ton of stuff from PP that I haven't had a chance to post yet, including my 9-10mm Freshadama strand!

I'm second-guessing my decision about the metal color on these earrings. I think the setting is so simple and the wire so thin that the white gold makes these particular earrings look cheaper, as if the wire is silver. I thought the yellow gold would make this particular setting look a bit more expensive than the white gold. But generally I prefer white metal. (I don't usually think that white gold looks cheaper - it's only this super-simple setting.)

When I imagine the earrings they're in white metal but that's probably because they are only shown in white metal in the photo. I am more drawn to white metal, but I don't want the earrings to look as if they're a cheap or fake pair set in silver. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Just found some pics online of these drops in yellow gold and to me, they do look a little better, so am going to keep the yellow.

Now I just have to be patient and wait!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
double post

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I prefer white metal, but yellow gold is back in and it looks richer. For white metal, I think it helps to have a little diamond. You can send them back and request that PP switch out the findings. They will credit you the cost of the white gold findings. I have ear lobes that curve up and are thick, and a high earring hole, so I have had to request this before because most earring findings look bad on me.

These are a good option:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-1820-romantic-diamond-dangle-earring-14k-gold.aspx
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-1862-allure-diamond-earrings.aspx

This finding is also available, even though it is not listed separately. I believe they are less than $150, but you would have to check with PP:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4749-metallic-white-freshwater-drop-pearl-and-diamond-shepherd-hook-earrings.aspx

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pregcuriosu - thanks for that! I looked at the links and I like the last finding in particular. Hmmm.....decisions. Maybe I need both! I could get the simple yellow gold now, and the white gold one with the diamond at a later date. :twisted:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
beautiful! Those are a great pick me upper

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And quite inexpensive, too! I wanted a pick-me-up for about $100, and I think it's a lot of pearl for that price! Should be nice and lustrous too, being metallic! Can't wait to get them.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearl therapy indeed!

"Take two and call me in the morning."

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have these exact ones, and wear them all the time. The 9 - 10 mm size is nice, and the drops are very symmetrical. They go well with both round white strands for a more formal look and with baroque shapes for a more casual look.

I got mine in yellow gold thinking the same thing as you, but I have to admit, because everything else I have (watch, wedding rings, necklaces, etc.) is in WG or platinum (or stainless for my watch), I regret going the YG route. It's not that they aren't beautiful, because they are. It's just that they would go with more of my other things if they were WG.

Also as a FYI, the wire on the shepherd's hook for this particular earring setting is really fine. I think if I were to do it again I'd ask for a more substantial hook part (but I'm a bit weird as fine wires give me the heebie jeebies about stretching my piercing holes even though they are perfectly comfortable to wear).

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearlsngems|1429206494|3863025 said:
Pearl therapy indeed!

"Take two and call me in the morning."

Hahaaaa! Love it!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd - thanks for your reply! I was thinking that unless I was going for all-out glamour by wearing the pearl drops with a strand, I probably wouldn't wear a necklace with them for everyday. I'm expecting them to look quite big. But perhaps they're not as big as I think. WG would definitely go with more of my things, but I do have some YG pieces I could wear with them. It's a dilemma.

Since they are only $110 with the code, if you regret the YG why not get a WG pair too? :naughty:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone else who has replied too!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I've ben eyeing off those earrings Jambalaya! Please post lots of photos when they arrive!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will - promise!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1429208609|3863046 said:
cmd - thanks for your reply! I was thinking that unless I was going for all-out glamour by wearing the pearl drops with a strand, I probably wouldn't wear a necklace with them for everyday. I'm expecting them to look quite big. But perhaps they're not as big as I think. WG would definitely go with more of my things, but I do have some YG pieces I could wear with them. It's a dilemma.

Since they are only $110 with the code, if you regret the YG why not get a WG pair too? :naughty:

Ooooh, don't tempt me! I'm too easily enabled!

Here's an ear shot of mine (9-10mm size) with my metallic strand. (Edited to fix rotation)

And another with Tahitians:

And I found pics of me wearing these with a gazillion other outfits. Hmmm...for as much as I wear them, I should get another WG pair ( with thicker hooks!).

_29190.jpg

_29191.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And a counter shot (nope, don't like these at all! ;)) )

_29189.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the shots! Ooooh, they look lovely on you! I always think that people with very brunette hair are lucky because diamonds and pearls show up so well. Like on black velvet.

I went ahead with the yellow gold in the end. It's true that the white gold would have gone with so much more of both my jewelry and clothes, but I do still have quite a few things that they will go with, and I really didn't want them to look like silver - which I thought they might due to the extreme simplicity of the setting.

Of course, the wires are so thin that probably nobody but us jewelry nuts would ever notice that YG hook with a silver or WG necklace!

Cmd, what is it about the thin wires that you're not so keen on? It really is a very simple setting, but on the other hand I think it lets the pearl shine. I think you said something about the thin wire stretching your piercings, but I would have thought that'd be more of a concern with a thick wire?

I know that pearls are prized for roundness, but honestly, I think that oval-shaped drop pearls in earrings are such an elegant shape.

I plan to wear little plastic backs on these wires because I've lost earrings like this before. I had some from Claire's Accessories that I had to throw away because they were so ridiculously small that they didn't fit any of my earring posts at all, but now I'm thinking they'll be perfect for these wires.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1429207041|3863033 said:
Also as a FYI, the wire on the shepherd's hook for this particular earring setting is really fine. I think if I were to do it again I'd ask for a more substantial hook part (but I'm a bit weird as fine wires give me the heebie jeebies about stretching my piercing holes even though they are perfectly comfortable to wear).

I have the same dislike of narrow wires on my hanging earrings. It always feels like it could easily slice through the ear if it was tugged.

Here is a photo of the little h pendant/earrings with the white SS keshi that I took at the 2014 Ruckus. I selected the keshi for mine at PP after the ruckus, and requested heavy ear wires. They have them, so just ask. I love these earrings and wear them a lot. Definitely one of those items that I didn't realize I needed until I saw them.

Also, I have since adjusted the width of the hooks to make them narrower. Just squeeze them together with the fingers.

8littleh2014ab.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm neurotic! I'm with FlyGirl. To me they are sharp and I can't help thinking that they could easily cut through your earlobe with enough of a tug. Actually, I fell asleep with a pair of hoops on the other night, rolled over and caught one of them on something and am currently waiting for that to heal. It's not all the way through, but enough to make my piercing go from a perfectly round hole to a slot shape and I'm creeped out! To me thicker wires offer more stability and less tug.

And yeah, the wires on mine look like the before picture of the little h earrings. If I'm sending anything back I. The next little while, I'll send these in to be put on heavier gauge wires.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies, and for the photos of the thinner and heavier wires!

My earrings arrived this afternoon, and I LOVE them! They're so simple and elegant. I'm OK with the thin YG wires.

Yay - they're gorgeous!

I will take photos tomorrow.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wavey: :appl: :love:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! I love it when pearl purchases work out!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Also not a fan of the thin wire hooks! Those drops are so cute! Very pretty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results