shape
carat
color
clarity

IGL versus GIA

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I purchased a IGL certified fancy vivid yellow diamond on ebay. I was curious how the GIA would grade the same stone.

Here's the original certificate

Yesterday, I got a happy surprise that GIA graded it the same

Now, what to do with this little stone?

myfancyvividyellow.jpg

original_igl.jpg

Attachments

• fancyvividyellow.pdf
    507 KB · Views: 379

regina3737

Rough_Rock
There's no real compromise. GIA is untouchable when it comes to diamonds (colored stones are a different story), especially FCDs. That being said it's pretty unlikely that the GIA report would be way off from the IGL report.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard diamond dealers say that GIA has "ruined" diamond color grades that normally come back more favorable with IGL. That's why on Liebish's website, an IGL fancy vivid yellow will be less money than a GIA fancy vivid yellow, if everything else is the same.

IGL really holds no water in the trade. It's not a substitute for GIA. For example, no one will pay a certain price per carat for an IGL fancy vivid pink, but they will for a GIA report with that grade.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
TL said:
I've heard diamond dealers say that GIA has "ruined" diamond color grades that normally come back more favorable with IGL. That's why on Liebish's website, an IGL fancy vivid yellow will be less money than a GIA fancy vivid yellow, if everything else is the same.

IGL really holds no water in the trade. It's not a substitute for GIA. For example, no one will pay a certain price per carat for an IGL fancy vivid pink, but they will for a GIA report with that grade.

I agree TL- I decided to gamble that the GIA would grade it favorably and this time the gamble paid off. I only paid a third of the going rate for a GIA vivid yellow, so I got quite the bargain.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to mention, this stone is another milestone for me. It's my 40th fancy colored diamond.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So weird that on the IGL lab report, they actually list the "Estimated Retail Price." That is a first, as I've not seen that on a report before.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1429285409|3863547 said:
So weird that on the IGL lab report, they actually list the "Estimated Retail Price." That is a first, as I've not seen that on a report before.

IGL caters to vendors, and offers blown up appraisals on their reports. Highly respected labs do not do this.

Susie,
Congratulations on your GIA grading and your anniversary. :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
susiegrneyes|1429285373|3863546 said:
I forgot to mention, this stone is another milestone for me. It's my 40th fancy colored diamond.

PICTURES PLEASE!!!! :D

Wanna see your collection!!! :love:

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Where's the Like button on PS?? Beautiful!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations susie, that is great news! You have a beautiful collection. :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
susiegrneyes|1429301336|3863689 said:
Here's a couple...6.39 carats total.

You've amassed a gorgeous collection.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all the kind words. I was lucky enough to start collecting back in 2008 when prices were much more affordable.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very glad to see your lovely collection posted again. Congrats on the GIA lab report ending up in your favour! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results