shape
carat
color
clarity

Red spinel 5-stone ring!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LK. I feel like a princess with this on. I usually only wear my plain wedding band.

More pictures as promised. All taken with my iPhone, which is the best camera I've found for gemstones.

Here's how it looked when I opened the box. I think I let out an expletive.

I took it for a walk with my wedding band (not the best look because of the mixed metals). This stone loves UV light. I have pics of it with my UV flashlight in other thread showing pink/red fluorescence.

The PS picture-in-the-car-I-swear-I-was-at-a-stop-light:

img_7633.jpg

img_7634.jpg

img_7635.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful look with your wedding band :love: :love: :love: :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Acinom. I'm surprised you like them together. I feel like it clashes because it's platinum with YG. Perhaps I should rethink this.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1429294071|3863617 said:
Thanks, Acinom. I'm surprised you like them together. I feel like it clashes because it's platinum with YG. Perhaps I should rethink this.

I love the look :love: :love: :love:
Somehow it looks very elegant together. A great match without being too matchy matchy. It reminds me of Duchess Sarah Fergusons combo.

Perhaps it's because the ring is al about 'spinel and diamonds'. And your wedding band has the ideal width and bold yellow colour.
I like!!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I love the photo's DK posted on his FB.
This one is very Pregcurious: stones 'n pearls 8-)

_29162.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Acinom, I have to go over there and see. Perhaps the pearl shot should replace the flower shot on PS.

Thanks, bling_prism. I like your username.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
That is exquisite! The red is the perfect red, and the accent diamonds have presence yet are perfectly balanced to the center. I like your explanation about step-cuts vs. brilliant for the darker tones.

Love the box shot, I think that should be mandatory for all reveal threads for David Klass, the lighted box! :lol: (I'll admit I actually took turns putting all my rings in the box, just to see how they looked under the spotlight. My silky blue oval sapphire was glowing, for sure!)

I like the look with your gold wedding band, too. It has an old world romantic feel.

Wear it in health and happiness!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the difference in cutting. That totally makes sense. Its pretty theoretical to me at this point because I'm not sure I've noticed enough diamonds and their respective cutting in real life to discern the difference. If and when I have a ring custom made, I will remember your explanation that step cuts are less busy and let the colored stone take main stage. :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Minous, no problem. I think with a modern brilliant cut center stone that is sparkly, brilliant cut sides look better. By modern brilliant, I mean small facets. An extreme would be the Portuguese cut.

Thanks, yanaazul. Another vote for the yellow band. I do agree that the plain band is the perfect width and the half dome complements it. I tried it with my WG diamond eternity ring because it's a white metal, and it did not look as elegant.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not usually like mix metals, however, your set looks good together.

And I love that ring on pearl glamour pic.

Looking forward to see pics of your jadeite ring.

DK :))

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is amazing, a true classic. :appl:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that is so perfect!!!!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
more pics with the band please!!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Acinom, but the Jewel of the Week is a different ring with a pink spinel. I like the other ring though :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1429316039|3863839 said:
Thanks, Acinom, but the Jewel of the Week is a different ring with a pink spinel. I like the other ring though :)
Yes, I edited my reply: I mixed up replies 8-)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
It looks fabulous with your wedding band! I love the mixed metals.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, DK, cokitty (I love your ruby ring), Asscherhalo_lover and Ricezo. I'm really surprised by the mixed-metal love. Hmm.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Yes I also love the pink pearl and ring photo. :love:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
This is spectacular! Your spinel is gorgeous & the way you set it is so elegant. I also love it with your YG band :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1429308133|3863753 said:
Minous, no problem. I think with a modern brilliant cut center stone that is sparkly, brilliant cut sides look better. By modern brilliant, I mean small facets. An extreme would be the Portuguese cut.

Thank you! I think for the first time, I'm starting to understand some diamond terminology. :praise:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My left and right ring fingers are about half a size apart (left 4, right 4.5). I had this ring sized as a 4. Now I have 2 sets that go on my left ring finger. Ladies, do you just switch out your CS rings on your left ring finger, or are your non-wedding sets all sized for other fingers?

Thanks, Lovinggems and Woofmama. The pearl-setup is David Klass', which he has used with other rings. It's a clever way of propping up a ring.

Minous, it took me a few years to understand why my spinel, and many non-precision CS stones, are called mixed cut. Now it makes sense: steps on the bottom, brilliant on top. I thought that mixed cut meant that the cut was undefined.

I have a slight clarification to my comment in previous post regarding brilliant cut in general: By modern brilliant, I mean _brilliant_ cut with small facets. Chunky/big facets on a brilliant cut were common before the Modern Brilliant Round. Examples would be the Old Mine and OEC cut. Here's an explanation of how the Modern Brilliant Cut (MBC) evolved from Tofel Jewelers (http://tofeljewelers.com/pics_large/oldminecuts.html). If you follow this link it also shows examples of step cuts versus brilliant. If you look at the step cut bead, you can imagine how our "mixed cut" CS stones are step cut on the bottom with cuts that are horizontal (if you hold the table of your stone up), versus brilliant cuts that are vertical (like the pavilion of the MBC).

From Walt Tofel:
"Because there are actually six (6) different periods between early Old-Mine-Cut diamonds and the Modern-Brilliant-Cut diamonds, by understanding these gradual transitions of diamond cutting over a 100 year period, one can more accurately assign a proper circa to the item of jewelry based on the diamonds in the item and their cutting style.

q Old Mine Cut = (There has always been argument about the origin of the name, some say it is derived from the Old-Mines from India, others say it's name comes from the Old-Mines in Brazil). An Old-Mine-Cut is one of the oldest cutting styles, is somewhat square in shape, has a small table, no point on the culet and the culet could be off center. That is to say that the diamond generally has the same shape as the original crystalline structure of the diamond when it was in the rough, (Rather square in appearance)

q Late Transitional Old Mine Cut = The same as above but with some rounding of the girdle, small table, no point on the culet and it may or may not be centered, (Getting a bit rounder, but still somewhat square)

q Early Transitional Old European Cut = Almost a round girdle but not perfectly round at this point, small table, no point on the culet and almost centered. That is to say that this diamond has all the cutting characteristic of an Old European Cut Diamond, except that it is not fully round, as an Old European Cut should be. The girdle “almost round”, but it shows a bit of the “square-shape” that is normally associated with an Old Mine Cut Diamond. Thus its classification is an Early Transitional- Old European Cut, a period of cutting and time when diamond cutting was making the transition from Old Mine Cut to Old European Cut. ("Almost Round, but not actually round")

q Old European Cut = Round in shape, small table, no point on the culet and it should be relatively centered. (At last the Diamond is Round)

q Late Transitional Old European Cut = A round girdle, the table is getting wider, and the culet may have a point or almost a point and be centered. The transition of cutting is approaching the modern brilliant cut, but the diamond does not have the mathematical proportions to be classified as a modern brilliant cut, a period of cutting and time when diamond cutting was making the transition from Old European Cut to an Modern Brilliant Cut. (Round, and the table is still a bit small)

q Modern Brilliant Cut = A round girdle, the depth is 57.0 to 63,0%, the table is a 53.0 to 66.0 % of the width, the pavilion depth is 41.5 to 45.5%, the crown height should be 11.0 to 16.2% of the overall depth, and the crown angle is 30.0 to 35.0 degrees. There should be a good point on the girdle and it should be centered. (Gemological Cutting Perfection)
"

oeccut-dia-200-pix-for-w.jpg

old-mine-cut-200-pix-for-w.jpg

rounddiamondplot.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can wear my rings on both hands, however, I tend to wear ring on the left hand ring finger, and the middle finger on the right hand.

DK :))

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Came back to look at the new photos. That red!! It's perfect! [emoji7] [emoji7]

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Preg, everything already said! Beautiful and great inspiration. Thanks for sharing this project. Wear in health and I know you get that bloom of pleasure each time you look at it!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Crazy beautiful! :appl: :love:

cheers--Sharon

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh.... oh my GOODNESS that is GORGEOUS!!!!!

The colour - that red - it looks edible! And the setting is perfect elegance...

Wow. That is an incredible piece :love: :love: :love: :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, the ring is stunning and looks amazing on your lovely hand. :love:
That color is TDF and the setting beautiful. A perfect combination and a knockout ring. :love:

img_7661.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't help but admire preg's delicate hand and fingers!

You and ricezo should be hand models!

DK :bigsmile:

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
It's gorgeous! I love the pearl-and-ring picture. I think you should make it your avatar! :love:
Congrats on a stunner!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results