shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you buy secondhand clothing/purses/shoes/accessories?

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
I am a die-hard thrift shopper. DIE HARD. Then again, I live on the Upper East Side, so our Goodwill has Chanel for $60. My wardrobe improved most when I lived in Phoenix, near a store called Last Chance (not Last Call)...there is 1 or 2 in the world, and it is where all Nordstrom returns go to "die". Lanvins that are slightly worn are $99. My Valentino and Lanvin bags, with tags, $399.

I did not mind if it was gently worn, as long as I loved it, I was golden.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been to that Last Chance! I got a GORGEOUS Brahmin Bag there for super cheap (50 bucks!) that was new... I swear I could not find a fault with it.

It's so interesting to hear other's thoughts on this subject. There's so much taboo about it for some, and so much joy for others. Very fascinating. Would make a great sociology study.

Jennifer, My knitting is going very well, thank you! I will keep in mind what you say about the cashmere! I've been knitting for 4 months now and basically just do it as a hobby. I'm not really into "challenging" myself with hard projects yet. But I am enjoying it a lot, it's very relaxing. I want to try my hand at dying yarn soon too!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I LOOOOOVVVEEE secondhand high end designer stuffs! :appl:

From ebay, I've purchased the classic Chanel jacket for $500, complete with silk CC lining and Chanel chain on the inside hem so it hangs nicely. I have a fantastic Chanel light coat, that hangs at mid-shin, double-breasted, navy blue, with 12 Chanel logo buttons. If I ever go to the opera in a small kicky dress, I have the perfect coat to go over it.

Also from ebay, my Cartier Basculante watch, two Vuitton bags (authenticated by the nice ladies on the PurseForum) and a Chanel caviar wallet. It makes no sense to pay $1400 for a Vuitton bag that you can find barely used for $400. I've also purchased a small Vuitton backpack that was made a few years back, and when she's worn it to the Vuitton boutiques they always comment on it. Apparently, girls come in all the time looking for the mini backpack but it was discontinued in the 1990's. Again, it was authenticated at Purse Forum. Same with the Cartier watch, apparently the people at the Cartier boutique are often asked if they still carry it.

I've purchased genuine Python (not the fake emboss) platform shoes at GW, and after spraying with Lysol and rubbing down the inside with hand sanitizer, have worn them. I have a giant black wool coat (thing weighs at least 20 lbs!) with a "walk on the moors" hood, that is very striking on.

The thing I like about thrift shopping is that you get all the styles from all the years in one place. There are some clothes from the mid 1990's that seem especially classic and cool. But if it can't go in the washer on hot or to the dry cleaner, I'm not interested. I am also a sucker for men's rayon Hawaiian shirts, for me, not DH. :D In a small, they are so retro and comfy.

This is on top of all the usual antique shopping I've done. That list is endless! Chairs, armoires, tables, almost all my decor. Plus endless books from the local library sale; people donate whole collections and the library keeps about 10%, the rest are sold off for pennies. I have books from the 1700's! First editions of famous works, that appear to be worth $100+ that I bought for $5. I sometimes sell them on ebay to book collectors all over the world for usually 10-20x what I paid.

Oh, the fun goes on! I can't imagine how boring it would be to be stuck with only new retail items. So expensive, and so much less of a treasure hunt. Enjoy the hunt! :wavey:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ironically I did a lot more thrift shopping when in college and in early 20's, when I had less money but more time but it was also less "cool" at that time. But some beautiful things, like fine black wool swing coat for 20 or 40 dollars, things like that.

Now that I have kids and work full time, I just don't have time to browse the shops like I used to. For clothes I usually have a specific requirement (charcoal gray pants for work) and for me it is more time effective to buy new than used. I also have very little closet size so I don't really have room for "fun" items, just the essentials.

We are at the stage we are trying to declutter our house, so trying to remove shopping temptations from myself.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As the 4th child growing up in a poor family - pretty much everything I ever had was "second hand" (more like 5th hand... :lol: ) so I've never had a problem with it. I'll buy second hand anything (except mattresses and underwear) and I love browisng junk/vintage shops. I tend to go for items that are difficult to find or super expensive now such as pure wool clothing, original artworks and antique solid-wood furniture.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I used to buy secondhand quite a bit - it was great for when the children were young and I could get good quality, serviceable clothes cheaply. It was also great when I wasn't working and had the time to hunt. No doubt we saved a lot of money but there suddenly came a time when I realized I was spending too much time and too much money on "bargains" - purchases because they were a good deal and I was overstocking - fetes, op shops, secondhand furniture shops, garage sale etc., I'd be there. It would be very rare for me to get anything secondhand now. It's mentally healthier for me to narrow things down and consider what I really want.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, and frequently.
1. Jewelry
2. I have a nice small collection of second-hand vintage Coach purses which were barely used before I bought them. I love their quality and the very low prices I paid.
3. Shirts. I love buying shirts at second- hand stores. The ones I buy I can tell have been worn only one to five times - nearly new and nice.

The thrill of the hunt makes it fun. I enjoy buying high quality items for less than what junky ones cost new. I don't buy these items on-line.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to garage sales and thrift stores has always been a part of my life, thanks to my dad. His house is so eclectic and beautiful, all bought at garage sales. I wish I had his touch, but I don't.

My little brother started going to garage sales and saw money in it. He started buying bikes and taught himself how to tune them up and fix broken components. Then he would sell them on craigslist for a profit. He started with cheap bikes, but now he sells mostly vintage and high-end bikes. He has to sell on ebay too now because the bikes are pretty expensive. He makes an EXTREMELY good living doing this because the profit is HUGE. He also buys and sells vintage items and other items of interest. He loves it! Because he does this, he golfs every day, goes to the gym, lives a life of leisure... lucky guy!

He keeps telling me I should get into this, but I am not sure what market to get into... and, I don't golf. :lol:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only time I participated in our HOA garage sale weekend I put out 2 Dooney Burke purses never used and a Brighton purse and wallet never used, technically still secondhand right? The woman who bought them all was pretty happy :bigsmile:

I have a Halston dress my mom bought me when I was in college in the late 70s/early 80s and if its still pristine I'm sending it to Missy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1429304517|3863725 said:
The only time I participated in our HOA garage sale weekend I put out 2 Dooney Burke purses never used and a Brighton purse and wallet never used, technically still secondhand right? The woman who bought them all was pretty happy :bigsmile:

I have a Halston dress my mom bought me when I was in college in the late 70s/early 80s and if its still pristine I'm sending it to Missy.

Aww, thank you Kristie! I would be honored to wear it if it fits! :appl:
And if it doesn't fit you know Greg can come to the rescue as long as it is not too tiny for me. 8)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My DD has great luck buying in consignment shops. She usually gets things new, with original tags at anywhere from 25 to 75% off the consignment price and after she doesn't want it anymore consigns it and a few times she has made money on the deal. There are a lot of consignment shops in my area!

I on the other hand have done well selling things via Facebook garage sales groups. I have sold old Christmas trees, ornaments, exercise equipment, handbags, coats, costume jewelry, etc. I just make sure I price things right if I want to make a quick sale. I have noticed that many people price their items too high and have no takers. If I wanted to get a great price I would sell on Poshmark, but I just want to get rid of stuff as quickly as possible without having to package stuff up and shipping it.

I have a neighbor who frequents garage sales and buys stuff for little money and then sells it on eBay and has done quite well for himself.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Estate jewelry is the only pre-owned thing I've bought so far.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results