shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your multicolored ripples!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I'm very new to ripples, but have been increasingly intrigued by some of the beautiful ripples on this forum. I was especially struck by Babymonster's "Holy Grail" ripples as well as caro40's darker bronzy ripples more recently. :love: :love:

I am considering dark multicolored ripples with wrinkled skins and rainbows (I prefer wrinkled/irregular ripples to the smooth/rounder ones).... CC calls my favorite strand "Super Jumbos" though (14mmx17mm), and I'm worried they will look absolutely ridiculous on a petite darker haired woman in her early 30s. I feel that many of her strands are meant for very fair-skinned blondes/brunettes who are a bit more mature than I am. Should I wait for her next batch of pearls, so I can look at smaller ripples? Will smaller ripples show much color/ rainbows, or am I better off with the jumbos? Should I look at a rope instead of a shorter strand?? (As you can see, I'm pretty clueless here... :) )

I was really hoping you ladies might have some advice and pics to share. I've tried searching the forum, but the search function hasn't been terribly helpful. What's the best piece of advice you have for a ripple newbie? What do you wish you'd know when you were buying your first ripples?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I can't answer all your questions, but I think you'll be happy with the larger sizes. They may seem a little intimidating at first, but you'll get accustomed to them.

From what I've observed on this forum, if you start with smaller pearls, you'll just end up buying larger sizes in a few years, anyway. :D

I don't think any pearls are limited to certain hair colors and skin tones. Wear what you love, life is short.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reply, ennui! That does seem to be what most say about getting larger pearls down the line. I am wondering if I should stick closer to the 13-14mm mark rather than 17mm for my midgety height. :)) I've been ogling different posters' neck shots from the past couple of years, but so many of the threads don't include the sizes that it's hard to get an accurate idea of how different strand sizes look on the neck.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm a firm believer in no rules. So you wear whatever you want to wear and if someone says the pearls are too big..well, they're just jealous and yah sucks boo to them!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Oops, just in case others are also interested in looking for ripples, I was actually misremembering above: The HG ripples were baby nurse's:

Babymonster's ripples are also lovely! (Though lighter than what I'm looking for, with my skin tone)

And here are caro40's striking bronzy ripples:

Hope it's ok to reshare these ladies' lovely strands!

baby_nurse_hg_0.png

baby_monster_0.png

caro40_0.png

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Pearlescence|1429132161|3862504 said:
I'm a firm believer in no rules. So you wear whatever you want to wear and if someone says the pearls are too big..well, they're just jealous and yah sucks boo to them!

Thanks, Pearlescence, I agree. :bigsmile:
I am worried about the size looking silly to my own eye, though, and not being able to see ripples in person and try them on, I was hoping to see some on PS and get some other posters' thoughts on size. I really hate dealing with international shipping and returns, so I'm trying to pin down what I truly want (in size, color) before I purchase.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Some thoughts from my perspective ...note they are not entirely internally consistent...
- Context: I'm 5 ft 2 and look like I'm in my mid-late 30s.
- No one has ever questioned what I'm wearing. My husband is very critical and unafraid to share his views, and he likes the super jumbos and other ripples on me, so a thumbs up from him means I don't look silly.
- I like the bigger pearls and now think my 10mm ones look too small. You adjust very quickly.
- I am also trying to use jewellery to play down my chest size. So for me it's ropes or large pearls that fill up the 'frame' of my neck above a v neck top and draw the eye up. If I was younger and back in my tiny size clothes pre 'baby' (baby now in primary school) I probably wouldn't focus so much on huge pearls.
- For me there is also a status and a statement aspect for wearing the super jumbos. I barely wore any jewellery until 2 years ago, I didn't want to stand out, I didn't want to look too feminine in a male dominated workspace. Now I'm ok with that. I'm not trying to be pretty and young and I'm not trying to blend in with the guys, I want to feel strong and powerful. That may play a role for you - if you don't want to stand out skip the super jumbos.
- The larger the pearl the less perfect. I am noticing the super jumbos have more white spots and patches of less colour. They are still great but they are more blemished. I think the smaller ripples (including the still very large ones at 12-14mm) may have better skins as a whole.
- You know your own colouring - for my pale skin and strawberry blonde/orangey hair I love the greens and golds and bronzes. However I've also been slow on the uptake - I love lavenders and persevered there but they wash me out. If you like lavenders CC has a particular strand I tried that's in lavender, it's a jumbo strand. Could be a good mid range idea.
- I think the photo you say shows colours too light might be what you'd get from any vendor. The ripples do tend to photograph like that under those light conditions. My own ones that look very dark in certain photos look light lilac in a range of lights.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Just one more thought - it depends also on your personal style and how you carry yourself. I think that you can be young and small and still wear the large pearls (and not have them wear you) if you've got some attitude and they match your overall look. So for example you'd team your large pearls perhaps with basic jacket/tops, clean lines, basic colours in your outfit, not too much fabric, no other jewellery. As short people we risk looking swamped by our clothing anyway. I think it's about an overall look and outfit - do what you want to feel good.

mapo

Shiny_Rock
Just wear what you love! I think the larger ripples really look great on everyone! You just need to find the right strand. Here's my one strand from past pics:

multicolor_ripples.jpg
img_5636.jpg

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
mapo|1429144982|3862571 said:
Just wear what you love! I think the larger ripples really look great on everyone! You just need to find the right strand. Here's my one strand from past pics:

multicolor_ripples.jpg
img_5636.jpg

mapo -
These are so pretty, too! Do you mind sharing the pearl size and strand length?

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Here is a photo with another CC super jumbo on. I showed my hand to give a sense of proportion. I have usual sized small person hands.
Gah another upside down one. Sorry.
Also showed photo from site. Max pearl size is 16mm.

_29121.jpg

_29122.jpg

mapo

Shiny_Rock
it's 17.5 inches long and the middle pearl is 14mmx10mm.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree with Wendy...wear what you like... that said I do know a lot of people don't like ropes of the larger pearls as they do get quite heavy and when doubled they can be a bit bulky on the back of your neck. (I'm talking big here..not 10mm )

As for colours...it's all in what you prefer. You just want to avoid pearls with damaged nacre .. like you would with any pearls.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd consider what kind of jewelry you usually wear and stick close to that. My strands are both baby ripples, 10-12mm or thereabouts. I wear them for casual dress and would probably not wear them often if they were larger. I don't want tiny pearls in a strand (unless it's a rope, in which case I don't like larger pearls) but I don't usually wear giant ones, either. When I think of "pearl shrinkage syndrome" what comes to my mind are the classic round freshwaters and akoyas and the typical 7-8mm-ish strands, not so much the ripples, which are pretty large anyway.

I mostly wear casual clothes, simple style, lots of solid colors and maybe three pieces of jewelry at a time. That would bore some people but might overwhelm others, who knows. When I get something much different from my usual, I end up just not wearing it.

I don't think your age, size, or coloring matter as much as your personal style. Do you typically wear large jewelry pieces, small, in between, or minimal? Here are a few shots of my ripples. The multis look so different depending on what I'm wearing them with and the lighting. The multis are from POJ and the whites are from PP.

img_1911_1.jpg

ripple_necklace.jpg

multi-colored_ripples_1_0.jpg

multi-colored_ripples_2_0.jpg

white_ripples_1.jpg

white_ripples_2.jpg

white_ripple_neckshot_1.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
P.S. I don't have dark coloring but in the photos above, I do think my lighter multi ripples look better against the cream colored top than against the dark colored top.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no experienced advice to give but am also interested in OP's question as I too am very petite 5'3" and also brunette. I avoid all large jewellery as I was once told years ago that I look "swamped" in it and that was too bulky for my frame! Largest pearls I own are about 8mm but I would happily go up to about 12mm.

I think maybe if you really love that strand, just order them and take the risk that you may need to return them. :wavey:

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
HotPozzum|1429171744|3862742 said:
I have no experienced advice to give but am also interested in OP's question as I too am very petite 5'3" and also brunette. I avoid all large jewellery as I was once told years ago that I look "swamped" in it and that was too bulky for my frame! Largest pearls I own are about 8mm but I would happily go up to about 12mm.

I think maybe if you really love that strand, just order them and take the risk that you may need to return them. :wavey:

Hey HotPozzum
:wavey:

That's funny, my mom also reminded me that I need to dress/accessorize for my frame -- she always told me that since I'm small, I need to aim for "cute" and spunky, rather than elegant. Lol, too bad I've always had a taste for big knit cardigans and big cocktail rings! The largest pearls are a white graduated strand 8-10mm) and a 14mm pendant.

Oh, and I love your dachshund avatar -- I have a shorthaired one, and he is the best thing ever!!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Hi caro40,
Thanks for your reply. Do you mind sharing which lavender strand you're looking at? I'm still so struck by the super jumbo ripples CC has listed, but I'm thinking that the rainbows wouldn't show nearly as well in real life, and yeah... around 14mm might be a better size for me. I don't know if I have the personality to rock the really huge ones!

The point you make about the super jumbo ripples is really interesting -- I would have thought that the larger pearls would show the rainbow colors better. But maybe just up to a certain point? I'm thinking that 12-15mm might be the sweet spot for me in terms of the multicolored rainbow ripples.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking of 2327. They are really pretty. Not highly varied in colour or bronzey but gently rainbowy in a soft lavender and very lustrous. I wanted them (well I want them all) but the colour didn't suit my skin tone. You could ask Cathy for more photos maybe.
Don't get me wrong, the larger pearls have rainbows and you could even say they have relatively more rainbow because the surface area is greater. It's more that the metallic quality or colour is less uniform, you get multi colour, or some less metallic areas, or a couple of dull/white patches in the occasional 17mm diameter one. In my super jumbos I have favourite sides of the largest pearls for example.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for their photos of lovely multicolour ripples... One more item to my wish list... Sigh.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Hi seaurchin
Thanks for sharing your baby ripples. Do you mind sharing the strand length? The white ripples look great, too. They were totally off my radar before, but I might need to look into those someday! Classic, but different.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Hi caro40

The lavender strand is pretty, but a bit softer than what I am looking for. The current super jumbo strand's coloring is still what I think I want, but in a slightly smaller size.... I suppose I will keep trolling Catherine's site, waiting for the next inventory update! Do you happen to know if she offers a Mother's Day or annual sale? I ask because you seem to have made a purchase or two (or a few! :bigsmile: ) from her.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
@Blingbunny- My multi-colored ripple strand is 19 1/2 inches (and the whites are 18 1/2 inches). That's including the sterling clasps, which takes up about 2 inches on the multis and 1 inch on the whites.

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love all your beautiful ripples, here is my necklace,same necklace in different lights. It is 20-21" long and pearls are about 15mm, purchased from Wendy.

ripple2.jpg

ripple1.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Roi, that's gorgeous!

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you, seaurchin! Love yours! Great choice for everyday use :appl:

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Roi - Those are HUGE! I think you rock 'em well, and those peachy colors look good on you, too. Does Wendy = Pearlescence?

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you, blingbunny!!!! I like very much ripples in this size and love the necklace :love: . Yes, Wendy from Pearlescence.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm all for bigger pearls. It's not about your physical size but how you wear them. It's possible to buy inexpensive imitation pearls in larger mm sizes on ebay to test out your personal comfort zone without spending tons of shipping back and forth.

You do have to consider the weight. If you're not used to wearing heavy necklaces, larger ripples will take time to get used to.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1429490535|3864656 said:
I'm all for bigger pearls. It's not about your physical size but how you wear them. It's possible to buy inexpensive imitation pearls in larger mm sizes on ebay to test out your personal comfort zone without spending tons of shipping back and forth.

You do have to consider the weight. If you're not used to wearing heavy necklaces, larger ripples will take time to get used to.

Most department stores carry large fashion pearls, if you just want to try on a few and check the mirror.
I agree about the weight; faux pearls probably won't be as heavy as the real deal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results