shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a star sapphire ring

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My husband wants to get me a sapphire and diamond (our birth stones) ring for our wedding anniversary. He's leaving everything up to me because he just wants me to have something I will love.

I have set a budget of 1200-1400 USD. But I can go as high as 1600. But we also have a large family and a huge mortgage, so if I find something I love for less, than that's even better.

I have always wanted a star sapphire, so now I'm going to get one.

Initially I wanted something pre-owned, but I am having a really hard time finding something that isn't a Lindy, or is even worth my time to look at. I prefer something antique or estate, if I could find something I like in my budget, but they seem to be super expensive! I really want a ring that is a stunner, and in a super sparkly setting. I'm willing to buy a stone and setting separately.

I understand that stars are graded by how bright the star is and how even the legs are, the color of the stone, and the clarity and translucency. Please educate me if I'm wrong! For me, though, I'm more concerned with the star being centered, the stone being interesting to look at in lighting where the star doesn't appear, and being a color I like; any color that happens to be pretty to me is a contender.

I've checked out the Natural Sapphire company and I haven't seen anything on their website that speaks to me. I've been looking on ebay at starruby.in, they seem to have good reviews, and they have some stones that I think are pretty. The quality of the stones might not be fabulous, but being pretty to me is more important than quality. I do like translucent stones, but I think they are out of my price range except for super tiny ones.

I like this one because of the interesting colors, but I'm actually not a huge fan of pink: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330858635395?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And this one, same deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261156345648?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My husband has a preference for a blue one, if you can find a nice one that isn't too pale or has inclusions on the face, and I don't care for grey tones too much.

I'm not a big fan of micro pave halos or very delicate bands. But I do want diamonds on the ring that will have an impressive sparkle. I saw a picture on here of a halo with tiny pear diamonds with the points pointing towards the center of the cabochon, and I LOVE that, but I doubt it would be in my budget. Hopefully the posters here can help me out. :))

I'd rather avoid white gold because of the plating issues, but I like yellow and rose. I do like white metals, my wedding set is platinum, but again, it's a budget buster. I love it, though.

I'm open to all ideas and any information you have!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
What is more important to you, size or quality?
You could get a good quality star sapphire in your budget, but not a large one like those 2 from ebay.

I know you said blue but you seem to be open to pink too. This is a spinel, which doesn't have the same popularity as sapphire, but its very durable and desirable. It's probably reserved by now but take a look: http://www.thegemtrader.com/Apr15SSpinelPage.htm

I can look for you later.

Oh, one more thing that affects pricing heavily which you didn't mention is treatment level. There is some basic info on treatments here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

Edited for typos and adding things.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I definitely want a sapphire because of the birth stone thing. It is a pretty spinel, though.

As far as size vs quality, I'll choose secret option C: whatever I happen to like. I buy jewelry for me, so it doesn't matter what the quality is, if I like it. I used to have quite a bit of jewelry (we were robbed and I lost everything but my wedding set), and some of it was very high quality and expensive, and some of it was just inlay silver that I bought off of raodside stands. I probably won't like some tiny stone even if it is perfect quality. But I'm not going to like something that is huge but ugly, either. For this particular ring, I'm looking for something interesting, maybe a little unusual, that I like to stare at. I'm actually pretty open to just about anything. I just don't like grey, black or brown.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
I'm drooling over that star spinel (red)!!

*sigh* I'm on a temporary self-imposed buying ban. And, there's a gem show this weekend.

I am also in love that blue sapphire halo ring on LT!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
agingsparkle|1429145985|3862578 said:
This is a nice-sized stone from a trusted Etsy vendor, but a halo setting would go over your price limit unless you get lucky and can find a pre-loved or great deal that would fit it… https://www.etsy.com/listing/223444526/4-carat-blue-ceylon-star-sapphire-no?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=star+sapphire&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery
Based on the picture of the side of the stone, it looks like it has a pleasant blue color. If the OP is interested in this stone, I would ask for several closeup pictures without the star to obscure the face of the stone. This way, one can assess how the stone will look most of the time. The majority of the time, when a focused source of light (bright sunlight, a lamp, a flashlight) is not available, you will be looking at the face of the stone without a star. It might have a very even, beautiful, saturated blue color, which is rare for star sapphires.

In terms of cons, most of the weight is on the bottom, which means that it faces small for the carat weight (and what you are paying). The shape is also a very elongated oval. I would also ask if the legs are equal in intensity because it looks like they may be uneven. However, finding gems on a budget (which we all have here) means that one may have to compromise, or a stone may not be "trade ideal" in all aspects (color, star quality, etc). If it sings to you, however, it's the right stone.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
BeekeeperBetty said:
I definitely want a sapphire because of the birth stone thing. It is a pretty spinel, though.

As far as size vs quality, I'll choose secret option C: whatever I happen to like. I buy jewelry for me, so it doesn't matter what the quality is, if I like it. I used to have quite a bit of jewelry (we were robbed and I lost everything but my wedding set), and some of it was very high quality and expensive, and some of it was just inlay silver that I bought off of raodside stands. I probably won't like some tiny stone even if it is perfect quality. But I'm not going to like something that is huge but ugly, either. For this particular ring, I'm looking for something interesting, maybe a little unusual, that I like to stare at. I'm actually pretty open to just about anything. I just don't like grey, black or brown.

Hmm, I'll look for you today.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have several posts I want to respond to, but I don't know if you can multi quote here, so please bear with this newbie. Or, since I keep bees, new BEE? I know, terrible pun.

pregcurious|1429154932|3862656 said:
agingsparkle|1429145985|3862578 said:
This is a nice-sized stone from a trusted Etsy vendor, but a halo setting would go over your price limit unless you get lucky and can find a pre-loved or great deal that would fit it… https://www.etsy.com/listing/223444526/4-carat-blue-ceylon-star-sapphire-no?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=star+sapphire&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery
Based on the picture of the side of the stone, it looks like it has a pleasant blue color. If the OP is interested in this stone, I would ask for several closeup pictures without the star to obscure the face of the stone. This way, one can assess how the stone will look most of the time. The majority of the time, when a focused source of light (bright sunlight, a lamp, a flashlight) is not available, you will be looking at the face of the stone without a star. It might have a very even, beautiful, saturated blue color, which is rare for star sapphires.

In terms of cons, most of the weight is on the bottom, which means that it faces small for the carat weight (and what you are paying). The shape is also a very elongated oval. I would also ask if the legs are equal in intensity because it looks like they may be uneven. However, finding gems on a budget (which we all have here) means that one may have to compromise, or a stone may not be "trade ideal" in all aspects (color, star quality, etc). If it sings to you, however, it's the right stone.
Yes, exactly, the star will only show up sometimes, so I want the stone to have some personality when the star isn't performing. That's it exactly!

I have a question about buying loose stones overall, especially in reference to the the Etsy stone. That stone is very deep, is it hard to buy settings for a stone that deep?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preference is to have as flat a bottom as possible, both for better face up size (no hidden weight due to pavilion depth) and ease of setting.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1429184875|3862787 said:
I would not go for either of the two cabochons from starruby because the huge cracks across the top are scary and I am concerned about their durability as ring stones.

Big, blue, under $500 with interesting inclusions.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/star_sapphire/st2001aa/&1244716636
This is where my ignorance shows. I assumed (bad idea, I know), that they were more irregularities on the surface of the stone, rather than cracks. How would I know the difference? I thought they were quite pretty, but I don't want anything that will hurt the integrity of the stone.

Do you know if the website you posted can get you more pictures, and maybe a video? That is a very pretty stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a heads up that if interested in the cabochon, to contact David at MC ASAP to reserve the stone to buy some time while you ask questions. Inexpensive items discussed here gets snatched up quickly without notice by lurkers. I'm not sure whether David is willing to go through the hassle of providing a video for a $500 stone but you can always ask. I've noticed videos only on high priced items.

The pattern you see on the star cabochon is caused by angular growth zoning, which happens during the crystal's growth when the colouring agents were not available in consistent amounts, resulting in the layered appearance of alternating light and dark banding which follow the external surfaces of the crystal. It has little to no effect on the structural integrity of the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results