shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever altered an item that you spent money on?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last year I found what has become just about the perfect carryon bag for me. DH and I DO NOT check bags except in the most extreme scenarios (like, I bought a lot of stuff that I can't easily ship home and checking a bag is my only option). The only negative about it is that it doesn't have a long strap. I don't consider it a huge strike, but DH complains like crazy about that little oversight in the design.

So I asked about the possibility of adding one when I spoke with a friend of a friend who is a seamstress and she is going to help me reinforce my this bag so I can add a long strap to it. I LOVE this bag, the Catalina from Lo and Sons, like an unnatural love. I can get a whole week's trip in that sucker with room to spare, and DH has a fit that I love it so much. So I figured out that if we add some strap material along the end seams, inside and out, and loop a ring around some on the outside seam, we can add a long strap--which I found on Clare Vivier's site that should match pretty close in materials, save for the hardware color (I don't care if that doesn't match). That way DH can have his long strap, and I can detach it when I use it. WIN. WIN. I think, anyway. I hope DH is happy. I felt like this was a worthy amendment bec I really like this bag.

I sent her my "diagram" and the photos of the items, and she said it should work perfectly based on how the regular straps are sewn on. I am going to obtain the materials this week and she will handle the sewing (I can't sew to save my life.) I am so excited.

Have you ever bought an item, such as this, and later "amended it" to work better for you? Often I just return the things that won't work, and rebuy what will. But I really like this particular bag and refused to return it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, I just buy until I find what works best! But if you love your bag that much, then adding the shoulder strap sounds like a great plan!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame, you're a girl after my own heart. Yes I have and fortunately my dh is very creative and can help me with this. If I love something and it isn't perfect we make it perfect. Way to go ame! Enjoy your new bag. :appl:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I agree - if it's a bag you love, why not alter it to make it perfect:)
I have lots of my clothing altered an sometimes, I get creative and make changes and/or alterations to things myself.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's just so great...I am a vain person and even all the crap I pack fits so well in the top, and my Spacepak fits in the bottom perfectly. (I don't usually pack extra shoes, if I do it's foldable flats)

missy|1429038555|3861803 said:
ame, you're a girl after my own heart. Yes I have and fortunately my dh is very creative and can help me with this. If I love something and it isn't perfect we make it perfect. Way to go ame! Enjoy your new bag. :appl:
Well, my newly altered. I've had it for over a year lol. I have been hemming and hawwing over this for a while. If it makes him happier to use it, itll be worth it. I have no trouble with it on my own, and I don't mind carrying my own bag, but he tends to grab both our bags (we only carry on), and go so if he's gonna haul em both I won't whine about that!!!

I did, however, order another bag from them as a purse, that will arrive tomorrow. HAH!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've bought things that I intended to alter but didn't :(sad - so I nowadays I pretty much avoid "project" purchases! But yes, I still do that from time to time, especially now that I've discovered a very good and very reasonable seamstress just down the street from me!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Practically 50% of my clothes get altered. Luckily my mom is a talented seamstress.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like an easy enough alter for a seamstress and sounds like it is well worth it to keep the hubby happy!

Looks like a great bag too.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
ponder|1429062918|3861985 said:
Practically 50% of my clothes get altered. Luckily my mom is a talented seamstress.

Wish I knew a seamstress - it would save me a lot of money! I have thought about taking some sewing classes and buying a sewing machine so that I could do a majority of my own alterations. Not only would it save money, but I would probably enjoy sewing as a hobby too.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1429035251|3861785 said:
Nope, I just buy until I find what works best! But if you love your bag that much, then adding the shoulder strap sounds like a great plan!

are we related?!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1429106125|3862216 said:
That looks like an easy enough alter for a seamstress and sounds like it is well worth it to keep the hubby happy!

Looks like a great bag too.
It REALLY is. I love it. If he didn't complain so damn much I'd buy a second.

We use this bag and long discontinued big red Land's End Duffel I wish I had bought more than one of. Normally we can get all of our stuff for two not-small humans in that red duffel for a whole week (Flight001 Spacepak cubes are amazeballs). I like having the 2nd bag and not overfilling either so that if we shop or have gifts or coats to deal with it's not a hassle.

I am known for shipping things home though, it drives DH nuts that I spend the money to do that, but it's easier than lugging it! In Hawaii (both times) I sent home dirty laundry and items I purchased as well as magazines I'd already read on the trip there to save space. I also have shipped home tons of things from girls' trips (Ikea benders) to not lug the things home, like last time, I got my nephew a ton of new parts for his Ikea train set, I shipped it to my sister. Like we literally left Ikea and went right to the UPS store up the road and I paid to have it shipped.

On girls' trips I usually pack this blue Lo and Son's bag as my actual travel bag, and stuff the folded down duffel inside so that when I shop I can pack all my crap into and then I will either stuff the Lo and Sons inside it for the trip home, or carry both on and use the Lo and Sons as my "purse." lol. I have been that jerk. It will fit under the seat in front of me as long as I don't overstuff it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only items I have altered are jeans. If I knew how to sew, it'd be a completely different story!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What pair of pants other than capris have I NOT altered? I wish I could buy off the rack.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh just altered a winter vest to install heating elements in the back and front of the vest for me for cooler cycling days. It works amazingly as I just took it for its first cycling adventure last Sunday. It kept me warm and comfy the whole (cool ocean breeze) ride. :appl:

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
Does purchasing a vintage piece of furniture and refinishing it or painting it count?

My night stand is an old, solid wood, student's desk with a channel for pens and hole on one side for the ink well. It has a wide drawer with compartments too. With a few updates to accommodate electrical cords (for bedside lamp, phone), my nightstand makes my DH's look pretty sad.

We also have a tall narrow cabinet in our entry from 1924 that we purchased because of its perfect size and then painted the sides and refinished the top.

And we have bought a couple of antique chairs that have been refinished and reupholstered for modern day living.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just clothes, lots and lots of clothes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results