shape
carat
color
clarity

Evaluating a Stone with SB Fluorescence

lstrgtrrz

Rough_Rock
I have selected a RB diamond with SB fluorescence for a free in-store preview through Ritani. I understand that in some stones the SB fluorescence can cause the diamond to appear cloudy in sunlight. I assume that means I should ask the jeweler to bring it outside with me so I can view it in daylight to see how it actually appears in person? Should I also ask to see how the stone appears under UV light? If so, what should I look for, other than the fact that it will glow blue? Anything else I should look for? My gf and I previous saw a MB fluorescent RB that she liked because she thought it made it appear more "colorless." (Both the stone we saw and I stone I am considering are I color.) She will not be viewing this stone beforehand, as I want it to be a surprise, so any help you can offer to help me ensure the SB fluor is not a negative would be greatly appreciated.

lstrgtrrz

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for that link. It did provide a lot of helpful information.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the clarity of the stone? I ask because I have read that stones with lower clarity may be more likely to be cloudy combined with fluorescence in certain lighting. I had a VS1 stone with strong blue and loved it! No negative issues at all.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have a VSB diamond and I love it, I would totally buy another one if given the chance.

lstrgtrrz

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1429154946|3862657 said:
What is the clarity of the stone? I ask because I have read that stones with lower clarity may be more likely to be cloudy combined with fluorescence in certain lighting. I had a VS1 stone with strong blue and loved it! No negative issues at all.

Thanks. The clarity is SI1. I plan to ask the jeweler to bring the stone/ring outside with me so I can view it in sunlight and also under a blacklight. Are there any other lighting conditions that you would suggest I view it under to assess whether it ever appears cloudy?

lstrgtrrz

Rough_Rock
lknvrb4|1429178868|3862757 said:
I have a VSB diamond and I love it, I would totally buy another one if given the chance.

Thanks, that is good to hear. I assume you have not experienced any issues with a cloudy appearance from your diamond? Do you ever see a blue tint to the diamond in normal sunlight or any other day-to-day lighting conditions?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results