shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you buy secondhand clothing/purses/shoes/accessories?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, my mother, when I was young was HORRIFIED at the thought of my buying anything second hand.

Seriously. My grandfather used to go to garage sales and buy second hand furniture (not upholstered pieces, but wood, which was what he liked). And I'd go browse with him. And I brought home a used something or other one time and my mother seriously acted like I had brought home cholera. She could not throw it out fast enough. She hated my grandfather buying furniture second hand, but he was her dad and she couldn't do anything about that, but when it came to me... nope, nope, nope.

I think for her, as an immigrant, it was a pride thing. Coming over to the states after a revolution where my family lost a lot of assets and prestige was hard enough. Her daughter buying second hand stuff was just too much. So, I never did it.

Now I'm an adult though and... honestly, so some things it just makes SENSE to buy second hand if you ask me. I started with jewelry. Both real and costume. And with furniture-- I like mid century pieces. And then I talked to some of my friends and they were buying all kinds of things second hand and... I started to browse.

On ebay and bonanzale I saw handbags from purseforum folks that are practically new and... I just made sense to me to buy one. So I bought my first second hand piece of non-jewelry. 8)

And *gasp* then, I had to go to a wedding and needed a pair of evening shoes and didn't feel like spending the 200 bucks for a new pair (my feet are problematic and I have to wear super comfortable shoes) so I actually bought a pair of second hand shoes! :-o They were worn once and a steal and I wiped them down when I got them. And well... I'm happy I did. Saved me a ton of money. Although I didn't tell the husband at that time, I did tell him later. (He also had an issue with me buying things other than wood furniture and purses second hand. Pride there too.).

And last month I even went ahead and bought a second hand suit. I love Lafayette 148 Suits. All wool and very little synthetic (just a little for stretch) is what I like in a suit. And they cost about 800 a pop new. And that's just out of budget right now. So... I looked on ebay and found one that was gorgeous and in like new condition and got it for a 120 bucks. Got it cleaned before I wore it and I gotta tell you... very happy I bought it. It's GORGEOUS. This one I did tell the husband about from the get go and he was surprisingly okay with it.

So it's been like a whole new world for me. Although I have not admitted any of this to my mom! :halo:

So... how about you guys? Second hand stuff yay or nay?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gypsy, I have bought beautiful antique wood furniture at flea markets and antique stores. That doesn't seem weird to me at all and I loved finding them. I have bought a few antique dressers, an antique iron bed, an antique wooden bed, and an old wooden kitchen set. I have refinished the wood on a few of the items while the others had been refinished when I purchased them. I have also purchased many pieces of jewelry at antique jewelry stores. I have never bought anything else second hand but would have no problem purchasing an expensive bag second hand from a purse forum member if I was in love with it and it was no longer available in the stores.

Now that I think more about this I have bought lots of cool things on eBay and they were all second hand. I also really love a deal.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yay. Total yay.

Grew up wearing second hand and cruising thrift stores with the parents. No problem with it whatsoever. I have 10 times the clothes I could afford new. I adore high quality wool and cashmere sweaters. I've got a lovely and large collection. I also somehow manage to scoop great wool coats.

You see trends over time with thrift too. When the economy is good, and people can afford new, you can find amazing deals. It's a bit harder these days as more and more people are shopping second hand. The rise of eBay and Usedwherever has helped though.

Get ready for the fun Gypsy :bigsmile:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister turned me on to thrift store clothes. She would always have the most beautiful shoes, purses and coats. I decided to check it out, and she was right--you can find such great stuff at thrift stores. I have lots and lots of expensive clothing that I would never have been able to afford otherwise.
You must be patient and willing to spend some time looking. I just love the variety! Dont forget to look at housewares, too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY!

So glad others have had good experiences with this.

I am not a brand name person. But I do like quality, and there are some brands, like Burberry, which delivery a lot of quality.

One of my friends really likes thrift stores shopping. I rarely find thing with her for myself, but I have found some nice stuff for her and I have found some nice stuff to re-sell on ebay.

As for housewares... I totally agree with the housewares suggestion. I like people bowls for my cats nightly wet food. And I've found some great ramekins and things to use as cat bowls for great prices.

I have been very picky about my buys so far. I really am only interested in like new items and am willing to spend time looking, happily, if it saves me a nice amount of money and I get something nice out of it. And the price has to be right. A few bucks savings isn't enough. At least half price is what I look for, preferably much less though.

Cashmere sweaters is an interesting suggestion. My husband accidentally washed all of mine a couple years ago and shrank them so I am down to one, and if we ever get to move somewhere with 'weather' I am going to need some more. I know one of my girlfriends has gotten nice cashmere and alpaca pieces herself second hand. Hmmm, interesting.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No...I haven't been able to bring myself to.

Although I consign stuff myself all the time.

And lately, I must admit, when I go into the consignment store I HAVE glanced at the purses, the belts, and the jewelry - I think it's starting to dawn on me that these things could make a lot of sense to buy second hand. And most of the items in the consignment store (it's actually a very nice store, and always smells good too) look excellent/hardly worn - many items still have tags on them.

So I could see that my mind is changing about this.

But I don't know that I'd ever do shoes or clothes.

However, never say never...especially if an item still has the tags or doesn't show any signs of wear.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I love certain things "secondhand" over new.

1. Our furniture from my grandparents. Greg refinished the mahogany dining room table from my grandparents and it is so beautiful though the kitties have scratched it up quite badly again so he has to refinish it again and so the cycle goes when one has furbabies lol. Most of our furniture in our NYC home is secondhand or vintage or handmade (he does woodworking as a hobby) by my dh with the exception of our couches, our bed and our modern kitchen.

2. All our overhead lighting is from Cockamamies in New Hope. All genuine antiques from the 1920's and 30's. French art deco. Gorgeous and so different than what is available new. They truly don't make things they way they used to IMO.

3. I own a few vintage dresses and whenever I wear them I get so many compliments. Usually I like high end vintage and most of it was never worn before and still have the labels on them. I get my secondhand clothing at the high end shops when I do buy secondhand. Here is a pic of one of my favorite secondhand dresses. So far I only wore this once 2 years ago but hopefully I can wear it at another occasion with different people. The best thing about the vintage I love to buy is often no one ever wore it before. Yes there are people just like us who have clothing in their closets for years with the labels still on them and never wear them lol.

4. Jewelry. I love vintage pieces best and those are always my favorite. My OEC ERing and my black opal ring from Cartier. And a number of other pieces I got from my Estate jewelers in Lambertville. They are the bling I find myself wearing more than my modern pieces.

I would never wear shoes secondhand however due to my being superstitious. Silly I know and yes I pick and choose the superstitions (or as my dh refers to them stupidstitions haha) I believe in but there it is. In my religion one is not supposed to wear secondhand shoes and I do not remember why so much but perhaps it has to do with the deceased person's journey in life. In any case I don't mind following that one because I don't like the idea of wearing another's shoes anyway.

3248a3a9df987dfe85a4a6990e3736b1.jpg

April20

Ideal_Rock
I've always been a thrift store shopper or just looking for a good deal. I hardly ever pay full price for anything. I have found some amazing deals on clothing at consignment and thrift stores. Sometimes even new with the tags! I'm pregnant now and let me tell you, maternity clothes are a racket! Add the word "maternity" to anything and it suddenly costs more. I've bought several things new on deep discount or clearance but I've found a good amount of like new things at consignment for 30% of the new retail price. For clothes I will only need for a few months I am not paying big bucks!

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Just about 90% of the furnishings in our house are from auctions, consignment stores, or estate sales. I have bought used designer purses on ebay (authenticated through the purseforum) and plenty of brand new clothes with tags either on ebay or etsy. Pretty much the only thing I won't buy are previously owned shoes. I can't stand to pay full price for anything.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have a booth at an antique mall, so I am always at the thrift stores. Besides clothing, shoes and purses, I have found lots of fabulous china (Limoges, Staffordshire, Wedgwood, etc), vintage costume jewelry (Miriam Haskell, Eisenberg), Art Nouveau glass, and so much more.
Many items I just cant part with, like two 1930's American sterling silver bowls that I won't sell.
And like Gypsy, my cats eat out of fine china dishes! Only the best for the kitties!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I've perused First Dibs and seen some interesting Chanel, etc, jackets--but never purchased them. They tend not to be my size--so out of luck at any rate. There are a couple of shops locally that consign (only) branded clothes, shoes and bags--but their prices seemed close enough to retail that I've never seriously considered buying.

Truth be told, I am only comfortable buying Estate jewellery.

cheers--Sharon

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only thing I buy second hand are books. Other than that, I prefer to be the original owner of things.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the majority of the furniture in this house comes from consignment stores.
I have bought antique or fine 2nd hand jewelry.....one of my fav rings is 2nd hand [18k gold].
I used to buy some used clothing but my short round body isn't easy to buy for so I've dropped that.
kitchenware? you betcha! Homer Laughlin plates are almost indestructible and I used them for years.......but i'm moving in a different direction now with a kitckstarter project https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159974695/calamityware-dinner-plate-5
cars for the last 25 years are Used.
not crazy about 2nd hand books but have a few.........

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We do a lot of second hand..or third hand even, depending on how well it was taken care of. I save the kids clothes they grow out of and take them to the second hand store here in town, and I get a little bit back when they sell. I get a lot of clothes that way for the kids too, and some of my own as well. London and I love to browse garage sales so we do that during the summer sometimes. There are a lot of FB groups for this area w/people selling clothes too-you make a little more than taking to the resell shops but there's a bit more work involved, and it's irritating having to deal w/people. I buy used books, dvd's. I'd buy used furniture like wooden chairs/tables but not so much a couch etc unless I knew the people. Sometimes I can find things on sale at stores new for less than I can find them used at resale shops-but that's usually at places like Walmart/Kmart. Have bought plenty of jewelry second-third-fourth hand, so no problem there.

I'd not buy used socks/underwear and it's hard to find used shoes that are in worthwhile shape, so we've not bought shoes that way.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy secondhand books and jewelry, but that's about it. Could be because I'm not interested in clothes, china, or furniture, though! A visit to Macy's (sales and coupons) and Ikea for the essentials in those areas, and I'm done. I'm not much into shoes or purses either.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I buy clothes second hand clothes whenever I can find them.
I found 8 identical shirts in my size that I wear all the time second hand at 2 bucks each retain $25 each.
I paid $17 bucks with tax and saved $196 bucks.
Most of my furniture is second hand or curb finds.

The only thing I refuse to buy used is a mattress that is just gross!!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I buy a lot of things second hand and thrift.

I buy a lot of clothesd second hand. I am an artist for a living and even if I wear a smock I tend to get paint on EVERYTHING (My studio is in my house and i paint often). So wearing second hand clothes I don't worry about getting paint on them. However for going out to nicer places, or even shopping I tend to wear things that are nicer, which are mostly bought with me being the first owner.

I will rarely buy shoes second hand unless they look brand new.

Furniture I LOVE second hand, and I like to refurbish and repaint it a lot.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1428767721|3860399 said:
I have bought antique or fine 2nd hand jewelry.....one of my fav rings is 2nd hand [18k gold].
I used to buy some used clothing but my short round body isn't easy to buy for so I've dropped that.
kitchenware? you betcha! Homer Laughlin plates are almost indestructible and I used them for years.......but i'm moving in a different direction now with a kitckstarter project https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159974695/calamityware-dinner-plate-5

I have some calamity ware plates!!!!! (the sea monster and the flying monkies) I NEED the pirates and ufo though!

They are so whimsical and fun!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy, that dress is gorgeous!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1428791763|3860560 said:
movie zombie|1428767721|3860399 said:

I have some calamity ware plates!!!!! (the sea monster and the flying monkies) I NEED the pirates and ufo though!

They are so whimsical and fun!

I have the 4 previous plates and "pirates" will arrive in July......and I have 2 sets of the blue bandanas to use as napkins.
hoping he does pasta style bowls at some point.

MANY APPOLOGIES FOR THE THREADJACK...

I forgot to mention that my everyday silverware was purchased at an estate sale: 1950's with real bamboo handles....heavy and I've not seen anything like it anywhere.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I buy some things second hand. I only but jewelry second hand, as in, I have a really hard time buying it retail. I'm not too keen on buying clothes and shoes second hand, but pretty much anything else I'm good to go with.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
YES - ALL THE TIME! Secondhand jewelry has been a no-brainer for me for quite some time. They don't make 'em like they used to. I prefer older styles and they generally are more cost effective. I refuse to pay retail. My wedding band is an estate piece with the original inscription in it from 1932. People I've told feel like that's bad luck. I think it's bad luck to spend money unnecessarily! I have a habit of buying furniture at estate sales and the like and rehabbing it in some way. These are some of my most treasured pieces.

Pre-loved shoes/clothes must be in good condition and still have life left in them. I won't buy something used and ratty just to get a brand name because it's all I can afford. I would save for something in better condition if I really wanted it. It's sometimes hard to judge condition over eBay, but I've been successful so far. In the recent months, I have purchased two vintage Chanel purses that are still in gorgeous condition. Seems like who ever had them kept them as decoration only :lol: . I have no problem buying shoes that have been used a time or two. I just make sure to disinfect. My only qualm about secondhand is the possibility for bed bugs. I inspect my purchases quite a bit!! There is no shame in my game at all. My mom is also an immigrant, but she loves a good secondhand bargain and is an awesome negotiator. I'd like to think I learned it from her.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have some ridiculous number of bespoke velvet opera coats and cloaks. You couldn't find them for love or money these days, and they probably cost more than most people paid for a month's housing back in the day ... mine have all cost between $25 and $100, and at those prices, there's no reason NOT to wear them out and about to everything from parties to grocery stores.

(No, seriously. Black velvet, crimson, grass-green, luscious vivid blue, on and on and on ...)

I have a wedding costume from the 70s - at least, that's what I assume it is! - done in the heaviest silk you can imagine, dense like cream, embroidered with cranes. I know it can't actually be from old-world China, where white is verboten for traditional weddings, but the craftsmanship of the embroidery and the sewing (seriously, it's so well made you could wear it inside out) along with the amazing styling just could not be replicated today. It's a high necked floor length gown in simple white with a surcoat of matching silk with floor-sweeping kimono sleeves embroidered with cranes in gold and red and silver. I paid less than $200 at my local flea market, and if I ever do a commitment ceremony, I will wear it with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

I could go on. Bottom line is, it's just like my commitment to vintage jewelry. The standards *were* higher, and the prices *are* lower. What's not to love?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oh good lord, I forgot to mention the kitchen wares! You name it. Especially specialty items that people get for gifts and use once like ice cream makers and fondue pots. I've gotten all my Corningware second hand. Plenty of pottery: lovely large bowls, platters etc. I adore platters!

Often I find brand new shoes at The Salvation Army. Sometime stores get last seasons shoes that just don't sell. Got two pairs of Keen shoes - retail around 90 each - paid 20 each. Score.

Silk scarves can usually be picked up for 2 to 5 dollars a piece.

All my planters. Once you know how to use a masonry bit, you can turn anything into a planter.

Such fun. Like a treasure hunt.

Happy hunting :bigsmile:

likes_shiny_objects

Rough_Rock
Trade
Purses and jewelry absolutely. Furniture, many pieces but not fabric upholstery. Clothing, not too much now as you can find items so inexpensively marked down new. in retail stores. I have bought new with tag clothing at thrift stores though for my own use and look for specific brands in excellent condition that I resell. Shoes have to be new or almost new or it is not good for your feet, I have found new shoes at thrift stores and resell high end nearly new shoes.

I sell on eBay and have an Etsy shop and a lot of my stock comes from thrift stores so I do visit them regularly as do many online sellers. It is smart to recycle and I find my daughter and her friends have no issues with it and that is why there are so many stores now like Plato's Closet, Urban Exchange, etc which sell to teens and twenties.

I would never have as many fabulous items as I do if it was not for buying second hand, especially designer jewelry.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes all the time

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! Reduce, reuse, recycle!! I especially love buying my daughter's clothes at consignment shops or even better, at GW! I often buy her clothes on ebay. Every summer I buy her keen's on ebay, or if I can find them at GW, all the better!! I'm pretty sure her pink camo keens came from GW, probably $4. Loved those! I actually feel like I'm overspending to buy them for 20 on ebay, haha.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1428729690|3860265 said:
YAY!

So glad others have had good experiences with this.

I am not a brand name person. But I do like quality, and there are some brands, like Burberry, which delivery a lot of quality.

One of my friends really likes thrift stores shopping. I rarely find thing with her for myself, but I have found some nice stuff for her and I have found some nice stuff to re-sell on ebay.

As for housewares... I totally agree with the housewares suggestion. I like people bowls for my cats nightly wet food. And I've found some great ramekins and things to use as cat bowls for great prices.

I have been very picky about my buys so far. I really am only interested in like new items and am willing to spend time looking, happily, if it saves me a nice amount of money and I get something nice out of it. And the price has to be right. A few bucks savings isn't enough. At least half price is what I look for, preferably much less though.

Cashmere sweaters is an interesting suggestion. My husband accidentally washed all of mine a couple years ago and shrank them so I am down to one, and if we ever get to move somewhere with 'weather' I am going to need some more. I know one of my girlfriends has gotten nice cashmere and alpaca pieces herself second hand. Hmmm, interesting.

Gypsy, how is the knitting going? Before I started spinning my own yarn, I used to buy thift store cashmere sweaters and unpick them. If they haven't been serged / overlocked at the seams, they can be unravelled into skeins of yarn, washed and re-knitted.

I do buy second hand, pre-loved items if they appeal to me. My mother would react as yours does, but my grandmother would have been in there with me, hunting for that bargain!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I am not opposed to "pre-loved" items depending on the circumstances:)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm ok with used books and preloved jewelry, but not clothes or fabric accessories bc I'm a bit phobic! I did try and get over that by ordering a preowned coach purse but then when it arrived and the liner had lint and gunk, it grossed me out and I promptly tucked it behind my bedstand and forgot about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results