shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is your favorite type of apple?

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Gem Queen|1427819975|3855109 said:
Good morning. I don't know if everyone knows this or not, but apples that you buy in the store are a year old. Have you ever had a soggy or mushy Apple? That is because they are stored in a gas from the prior season. Apples from the farmers market are no more than three days old and the difference is undeniable!

I did not know that. Gross!

Thanks for sharing! I need to be more diligent in going to my farmers' market.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pink Ladies! Tart, crisp, and a pleasant reminder of my eternal fondness for bad girls who are good at heart. :lol:

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Cortland, Honeycrisp and I like the tart green granny smith.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Honeycrisp apples..they are quite yummy

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1427765070|3854833 said:
mmmm Granny Smith's mmm I looooove the sour!

THIS! I love apples to be really crisp and tart. I keep my Granny Smith's in the fridge for the perfect refreshing snack.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like some tart in my apple, but it has to be balanced with the right amount of sweet. So Braeburn are a favorite of mine. I also enjoy fresh honeycrisp apples as well.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

To eat.....fresh honey-crisp or pink ladies. I don't bake apples/pie/sauce..so can't help there.

cheers--Sharon

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: :lol: :lol:

_28501.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow you guys are all apple experts ::)

Missy - I am now crazily craving apple pie (I'm going to get you back for this!) ::)

AprilBaby :lol: OK what about the type of apple you can EAT?

Packrat and others who mentioned peanut butter - yes, one of my very favorite snacks too! The saltiness of the PB with the sweetness and crunch of the apple is so good. Plus I know it's a good snack healthwise so that makes it even more delicious! (although sometimes I pack on the PB a little too heavily and then I'm sure it's not so great for my thighs :cheeky: )

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, if it is any consolation I am craving my dh's apple pie now too and it is not even 9AM here lol. Tell you what, if you come to NYC I will have my dh bake his award winning apple pie for the both of us. :bigsmile: :wavey:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning. I don't know if everyone knows this or not, but apples that you buy in the store are a year old. Have you ever had a soggy or mushy Apple? That is because they are stored in a gas from the prior season. Apples from the farmers market are no more than three days old and the difference is undeniable!

Heres another thing some may not know about bananas:
Bananas are picked green and loaded on to special boats in to gas chambers where they are then blasted with ethylene gas so that they will ripen by the time they reach the stores.
A produce manager told me this years ago, which made me so sad.

I understand that citrus fruits used to be dyed to enhance their color,and some sources say this practice was stopped 10 years ago--but sometimes those Minneola tangelos are practically glowing in the stores!!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We like Honey Crisp the best, but it's also by far the most expensive type. My DH picks all the smallest ones, as they are the perfect 1 serving size. Most people pick the largest. Our way you get more apples/single servings for the same price. I struggle to finish the over-sized ones.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adam's.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1427998728|3855918 said:
We like Honey Crisp the best, but it's also by far the most expensive type. My DH picks all the smallest ones, as they are the perfect 1 serving size. Most people pick the largest. Our way you get more apples/single servings for the same price. I struggle to finish the over-sized ones.

I just spent $8 Canadian bucks for 3 honey crisp apples. :o :errrr: I also tried to pick the smallest!

April20

Ideal_Rock
My absolute favorite are Honey Crisp followed closely by Pink Lady. I can't be bothered to eat any of the others the grocery store typically has. For me, it's a texture thing. I love the crisp texture of these varieties.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

This is not true for all varieties.

I didn't think I liked apples until I tried a new variety only grown in Minnnesota so far, the Sweet RiverBelle. The same grower also developed an apple that ages to a similar flavor in the fall, the SweeTango (after it's picked, it's aged for 6-8 weeks, kind of like wine, then shipped to stores). Both of these varieties get picked and are in grocery stores fairly soon after picking. DH and I spoke to one of the growers at our local grocery store, and he described the process, it's fascinating stuff.

And all of you who love HoneyCrisps warm my Minnesotan heart, as they were created at the University of Minnesota. I'm hopeful that others will start growing the RiverBelles and SweeTangos, and the Pazazz that can grow in more places, and you'll all be able to taste their amazingness in the coming years!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/10/08/230552146/sweet-tart-crunchy-how-to-engineer-a-better-apple
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeycrisp

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1428006691|3855985 said:

I just spent $8 Canadian bucks for 3 honey crisp apples. :o :errrr: I also tried to pick the smallest!

Isn't it ridiculous?! We buy other varieties too, because we eat an apple a day, and honey crisps are always expensive here. :-o

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1428085811|3856476 said:
canuk-gal|1428006691|3855985 said:

Isn't it ridiculous?! We buy other varieties too, because we eat an apple a day, and honey crisps are always expensive here. :-o

For sure.! I also bought 3 Braeburn' which cost less than two bucks......

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bit of history, apples originally came from what is now known as Kazakhstan.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1427809974|3855005 said:
I really like Honeycrisps. They are tart and sweet, which makes them perfect for me. My husband hates them. He prefers Fuji's.

I have found that buying organic really makes a difference in flavor. When I buy non-organic, the apples have a watered down flavor. I buy about 10 pounds of apples per week. They are a huge staple in our house.

We have a place about forty minutes from here called Apple HIll. There are about 15 - 20 farms that grow countless varieties of apples. The farms range from you pick with cook-outs to kid-friendly with a fishing pond, to vineyards with apples, to places that make the best apple pies you will ever have. There is even a farm that serves fresh hot apple cider donuts. It is a wonderful place to go to in the fall. We always come home with many different varieties of apples that I have never even heard of. They are all delicious, but to be honest, the Fuji and the Honeycrisp are still my favorites.

Oh, and I love Pippins for pies.

Oh, I LOVE honeycrisps!! My all time favorite. Before I tried honeycrisp, my favorite was Matsu.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1427846250|3855297 said:
packrat|1427765070|3854833 said:
mmmm Granny Smith's mmm I looooove the sour!

THIS! I love apples to be really crisp and tart. I keep my Granny Smith's in the fridge for the perfect refreshing snack.

I use granny smith for pie.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im sure we had a more recent thread that this ?
so the apple season has only just started, no more cool store apples for a few months
just had one of those fancy crunchy sweet tango apples developed in the States (grown under licence here )
oh wow it is yummy
i usually prefer a more sour apple but this is just right for summer
i must say i only brought them because they were the cheapest and i was just going to make appleslaw out of them
1708032742974.png

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
This is not true for all varieties.

I didn't think I liked apples until I tried a new variety only grown in Minnnesota so far, the Sweet RiverBelle.

And all of you who love HoneyCrisps warm my Minnesotan heart, as they were created at the University of Minnesota. I'm hopeful that others will start growing the RiverBelles and SweeTangos, and the Pazazz that can grow in more places, and you'll all be able to taste their amazingness in the coming years!

OH!! As a Minnesotan I'm gonna have to try the River Belle!! I haven't seen them anywhere, same with the Snapdragon you linked to

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
by far the best apple i ever had was picked (pinched) off a commerical orchard next door to my brother in law down Nelson way at the top of the South Island

i have no idea what kind it was but it was sun warmed and must have been ready for harvest (i only pinched one -not greedy, they were after all Ronnie's neighbours)
crispy and juicy and really large, maybe it was going to go to the export market? the domestic market gets all the small fruit

when i was a kid my family was big on the sunday drive (cheaper petrol back then)
we would often go out to the orchards and buy from the orchard gate, i feel sorry for kids and grown ups today who say they dont like fruit because if all anyone had ever known was the rock hard stuff they peddle in the supermarkets its no wonder

when i was in Canada i saw NZ apples in the supermarket, it was August, i forget what type -maybe Jazz? it did look rather spectacular, i brought one just to make sure it was up to standard ;)2

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Red Delicious and Winesaps.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Lately honeycrisp and cosmic crisp. I really like the crispness of them with some nice cheddar. I use red delicious for this oatmeal I make for my kids, they love it.

For baking, usually granny smith.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
McIntosh apples from our neck woods are my favorite. Great flavor for eating and cook beautifully for sauces, pies, cakes and baked with butter, brown sugar and raisins.

Honeycrisp apples escape my flavor buds and I don't understand the hullabaloo. But then again I can't eat kiwi or fresh pineapple without altering my taste buds to make anything eaten for an hour or so after them taste horrible. Maybe honeycrisps fall under that category for me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FUJI

Yum.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
A new fave:
Envy Apple, found at Costco or Trader Joe’s.
IMG_3929.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results