shape
carat
color
clarity

Metallic white pearl necklace

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I've been contemplating buying a metallic white pearl 16" necklace, in 9-9.5 mm size. Is there any advice you can give me in buying these? I have a yellow/sallow skin tone, and I think as white as possible is good for me. How long is the wait for something like this?

I've bought from Pearl Paradise and PoJ before and assume the quality will be similar between the two. Will it be the same with Pure Pearls? I'm trying to feel my way through the pearl world.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Advice? Do you need an enabler? :think:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding non-bead nucleated metallic pearls--

• Larger pearls are less common than smaller pearls
• Round pearls are less common than off-round and nearly-round pearls
• White metallic pearls are really less common than naturally colored ones.

I have no idea how long it might tale to get a fairly large (the size you mentioned), uniform-size, white metallic strand that is round to nearly-round. My guess is that it would not happen fast. Your best bet is to contact PP and PoJ and ask.

Now, if you are looking for a graduated white metallic strand, my guess is that it could be put together much faster, since they would not need to have as many of the large pearls. But you should ask the vendors-- they know what they have in stock and what they see on their buying trips to Hong Kong.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased a strand of metallic white freshwater 8.5-9.0mm AAA pearls from Pure Pearls last year (with matching earrings). I cannot compare to similar pearls from PP or PoJ, though, as I only have that one strand. I am very happy with my strand. The pearls are not perfectly round -- the appraisal document that Pure Pearls sent with it says "near round". I am OK with the shape as I believe the luster more than compensates for it. I researched metallics beforehand and I knew I shouldn't expect perfectly round metallics. I also got them on a 25% off special so I was very happy with my purchase. At the time, both PP and PoJ were out of similar AAA metallics.
Ashley from Pure Pearls was great to work with and very patient with my impatience.
I believe PP calls perfectly round metallics "metallic Freshadama" and those are very rare, especially at those sizes.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am Chinese, and my hair is almost completely white, and when I asked POJ, PP and TPO (The Pearl Outlet) to custom-make me strands of their gem quality CFWP, I requested for silver overtone, and they managed to find silver-rose ones for me.

All three vendors were excellent to work with and I was delighted with the strands I purchased from them.

However, PP is my go-to vendor, as Jeremy pulled out all the stops to help me with a special order back in 2008, for which I am extremely grateful to this day.

I have not purchased from Pure Pearls, therefore, I cannot comment about them.

I like the look of metallic CFWP in pics (I have not seen a strand in person), however, I am shape-sensitive, and did not buy any that did not meet the Freshadama grade when they were on offer at PPs a while back.

Metallics CFWPs that made the Freshadama grade are rare, especially in the larger sizes. They were on offer at PP a year or so ago, and all were snapped up in no time. I missed the boat as I was not in the position to buy any new jewellery at the time.

If one is after Freshadama grade metallics, I would strongly advise one to contact PP so that he/she can go on their waiting list, in the hope that they will find some in their future buying trips. Be warned though, as it can be a very long wait!

Metallics aside, IMHO, one cannot go wrong with PP's normal Freshadamas. I would have kept my double strand of 8-8.5mm pearls that Jeremy made for me in 2008 had the circumstances been different (that's another story).

I intend to replace that double strand with smaller 7-7.5mm metallic Freshadamas some time in the future (I have already started the project with asking Jeff White to cut me a 17mm+ Danburite for the clasp).

If money is no object, then have a look at Hanadamas - I would dearly love a strand of natural whites and blues in 9mm size, and shall continue to play the lottery. :bigsmile:

Good luck with your search and purchase.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
You could also email the vendors and ask ... they may have something in their vault that is not on the website.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Ennui, PS is kind of the enablers club, isn't it :)

Pearlsngems, that's a good idea about the graduated pearls. I've never had a graduated set. Thanks for the link to the item at Pure Pearls.

Tucs, I'll be sure to wait for a sale if I go with something in stock. Thanks for pointing that out.

DK, PP and Jeff White sounds like a great combination. Thanks for the Keshi link, but I am looking for near-round/round.

Maybe I'll start with a set of earrings first? I saw some Freshadama at my PP visit, but I forgot to ask to see metallic white pearls. There are so many varieties of pearls that it's almost overwhelming. I don't even wear white pearls normally, but I want to experience metallics, and the pastel colors do not look good on my skin tone.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Preg,

AAA metallics can be a bit egg shaped, so if you want round ones, you'd want to go with Freshadama (if at PP), or speak to the vendors about their stock. Ashley at Pure Pearls is fantastic to work with, as is Kevin at POJ. Of course PP is always great too.

Here's a picture of my 8.5 - 9.5 AAA metallics from PP. You can see the shape best in this angle. From head on they look more round. Again, sorry for the side view. At home my iPad doesn't let me resize to get them the right way up.

_28440.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, cmd. They look nice on you. Something about white pearls looks very crisp.

Summary:
-Metallic Freshadama/round, hard to find. Could do graduated.
-Metallic near-rounds, hard to find in large sizes.
-Freshadama/gem round are available.
-AAA are available, and round.

I have to think about this. I also have to consider that I don't wear my Akoyas, but I think that's a mental block for it having sentimental value? I thought it was because I don't like white, but I thought about this more, and I'm not sure.

I'm kind of mesmerized by the idea of seeing orient in metallics, so I am leaning towards them.

If I wait maybe metallic rounds will become more plentiful?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A non-bead nucleated pearl has to stay longer in the water to reach the same size as the bead-nucleated pearl, yet comes out less round.

So, I would think that as the Chinese continue to improve their techniques, non-bead nucleated metallic pearls will become less available, not more available. But the bead-nucleated round metallics will be more available. Still, remember that a lot more of these are colored than white.

If you really want to see orient, get some good baroque pearls! Orient is much more subtle in round pearls, if seen at all.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pearl prices in general have gone up due to a cut back in supply - due to the world recession. However quality has rocketed. Metallic lustre is much more common than it was even three years ago.
Unless your purse is bottomless I would recommend you shop for lustre over roundness as near round will look round on your neck to all but the most experienced eye

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, pearlsngems and Pearlescence. I have souffle set that does it for me for orient, but my goal for this purchase was originally to get a round strand of pearls that really amazes me. I already have nice Akoyas (that I don't wear) so this set would have to be metallic to beat those.

I didn't know there were bead nucleated metallics that were round. Are the round/semi-round metallics sold by PP tissue nucleated?

I thought that freshwater pearls that were semi-round/round were usually tissue nucleated, but that there are also bead nucleated kinds for other shapes? I guess it makes sense that one could add a round bead. I obviously need more education.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Ming / Edison pearls are bead-nucleated freshwater pearls, and they do come in white. You'll get the large sizes, too.

I understand about not wearing your Akoyas; I also have an Akoya necklace with tremendous sentimental value, and I save it for special occasions. (But I have been known to wear them with my jammies while I drink my coffee. I am well on my way to "eccentric.")

Since we haven't been told a budget, there are always white South Seas. :naughty:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1427817378|3855076 said:
I understand about not wearing your Akoyas; I also have an Akoya necklace with tremendous sentimental value, and I save it for special occasions. (But I have been known to wear them with my jammies while I drink my coffee. I am well on my way to "eccentric.")
You totally get it. I have pearls (South Sea and Akoya), but they are either inherited, or from my wedding day, gifted by my parents. I just can't get myself to wear them to work. The all make me sad. It has already been 6 years since my parents both passed away and I don't want to even look at them. They are going straight to my daughter. I also don't like white, which might sound strange. I will wear it to break up color, or in the summer.

I'm hoping that if I get a absolutely knock-out strand, I can start wearing and appreciating white pearls. If not, my daughter will get those too.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The metallic white FWP in the sizes being sold by PP are not bead nucleated. But bead nuked metallics are being produced in larger sizes-- see the POJ blog about the recent trip to Hong Kong. Some of the Edisons will blow you away with their color. The purples are amazing.

For white pearls, you may want to consider getting a natural-white Hanadama strand and earrings. Those are already available, are fully round, and I am sure those would be more mind-blowing than the metallic white FWP. (I got the metallic white FWP because the hanadamas are also more wallet-blowing, :lol: )

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am confused. Do metallics and Hanadamas are similar/equal luster?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(Edited due to changes in previous post)

Better luster? I would not think so. Similar luster-- more likely. But my white metallic strand's luster is not equal in every pearl. Some are more lustrous than others. I expect the Hanadamas' luster is more consistent throughout the strand.

I would get natural white Hanadama pearls (not the regular pinked hanadama) over the white metallics, in a heartbeat. But FWP can be worn more-- being solid nacre. I wonder now about the bead nuked FWP-- how thick the nacre is, and whether they, like akoyas, will not be considered suitable for every-day wear.

By the way, I sent you a message on the other forum.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry about the loss of your parents. That must have been an emotional year for you, like a roller coaster. They would probably want you to wear the pearls, and hopefully there will come a day when the pearls are not painful reminders.

I'm sure we can find you a white strand that will be perfect! I go back and forth between black pearls and white pearls. White pearls catch and reflect light in a way that can surprise you.

I think the metallics are simply more budget-friendly than the Hanadamas.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to my last post, pregcurious-- I think the best white metallics (non bead nuke) currently being sold will be similar in luster to hanadamas, but not in shape, or matching.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Ennui. Gemstones were my therapy. Now it's pearls.

Yeah, if my mom is still sentient, she probably wants me to wear her pearls.

Pearlsngems...nacre...hmm, the nacre thing is an issue.This brings me back to wanting round white metallics. Perhaps a graduated strand is possible. Or I will just do semi-round for now and think about it.

Thanks for all your feedback. I think I get it now. I took a picture of FWP and Akoyas when I was at PP. I will post it here later. I don't know if I was looking at metallics, but they were semi-round FWP.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also sympathize with your loss. My mother passed away last month after a long deterioration with Alzheimer's and I wear pearls to remember her, because she always liked them so much.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry, pearlsngems. Even after a long illness, it's still painful to lose a mom.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, ennui.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear about your parents, too. I also hope that one day your pearls become happy reminders rather than painful ones.

As for Metallics vs Akoyas, the luster is different. Akoyas are quite metallic in terms of their luster in the top grades, and have a glow from within quality to them. They also tend to have pinkish or sometimes blueish overtones (at least mine do, but mine are rose overtoned, so the silver overtoned ones may be different).

In my experience, metallics also have great luster. But as others have said, it's not as consistent as top grade Akoyas, the shape is not as consistent, and they look more...well...metallic than the glowy quality that Akoyas have. The best I can describe it is that they have more surface reflection, whereas Akoya pearls seem to have more depth to them. They are also more likely to have a greenish overtone to them. It's a hard thing to describe without seeing them side by side and it doesn't show up that well in pictures (or I'd show you a picture of mine side by side). You get great luster and a larger size at a more wallet friendly price, but they are going to be different than the look of Akoya pearls. AAA quality will still be off-round (like mine). Freshadama metallics will be round but are hard to get, especially in white, and are more expensive because of it.

If you want the look of Akoyas at a more wallet friendly price, you might want to think about the non-metallic Freshadamas, Gem Quality, or Elite Freshwater pearls (the names the different vendors have given their top quality freshwater pearls). Again, the advantage is that you can get a great look at a much more affordable price (so you can go way larger than most of us could afford in Akoyas). They won't look exactly the same as Akoyas (to my eye freshwater pearl luster just looks different than Akoya luster, but it's hard to describe how), but they will be beautiful.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, pearlsngems. I appreciate the sentiment. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Cmd, thanks for the information. I didn't appreciate that they would not be as consistent within a strand.

My wedding set is lower grade Mikimoto Akoyas, which is still good quality, so I don't feel I need more Akoyas (If I ever wear these).

Thanks to this thread, I will look into buying some metallic semi-rounds first. I can figure out if I want to invest in rounds in a larger size, or if it is even feasible. At a certain price point, I would rather buy Tahitians because I know I love those.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
It's just a thought, but maybe you could contact Kevin at PoJ. His blog indicates that he was looking at white metallics in Hong Kong. I don't know if it was only matched pairs for earrings, but you could ask.

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
I have an 18" Freshadama Metallic strand from PP that I love; but, I did have to go on the wish list and wait for a special buying trip to get them. Honestly, I think they were worth the wait! I also have a longer AAA Metallic white strand from PP that is super shiny! The AAA strand is noticeably more shiny than the Freshadama strand and both are graded as Metallic. There is a trade off for getting truly round pearls in metallics. Both strands are lovely though. As others have said it is more difficult to find the larger freshwater pearls in both metallic and Freshadama grade, so if super round is not that important to you I would say give the AAA pearls a try. They do look round when worn on the neck. You may get much more lustery pearls with that grade. If roundness is super important to you, then get on the wish list and wait for the Freshadama grade pearls.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results