shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get some feedback on this stone and setting from NSC?

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock
Hi. I just received the mockup of a montana sapphire in a setting I like. This is from The Natural Sapphire Company. I've heard a lot of varying reviews for this place, what's your take?

I'm also wondering what your opinion is about the quality/aesthetics of the stone and the setting. They look beautiful, but I don't have a critical eye for this sorta thing. i'm not sure if the stone is too deep, if that's a problem, if the inclusions would be noticeable, if it's overpriced, etc. any concerns?
Is the ring too big/gaudy? My ring size is 5.5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwgPqatnnIY&feature=youtu.be

the stone:
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-54955-oval-unique-sapphire-u5332/

the setting:
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-41541-platinum-950-pave-diamond-ring-setting-js319pt/

i apologize for the huge pictures.

u5332_js319pt_01__2_.jpg
u5332_js319pt_hand_model__1_.jpg
u5332_js319pt_04__1_.jpg
u5332_js319pt_03.jpg
u5332_js319pt_02.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Re: Can I get some feedback on this stone and setting from N

The stone has a window. Do you see the window when you wear the ring on your hand?

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

I haven't seen it on my hand. I'll have to travel to NYC to look at it in person.

When you say window, are you talking about this little white slit? or wait I think that's a crystal/inclusion type of thing (clearer in the video). i'm not sure if i can recognize a window on this stone...please help

screen_shot_2015-03-30_at_6.png

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

goldbandgirl|1427755523|3854738 said:
I haven't seen it on my hand. I'll have to travel to NYC to look at it in person.

When you say window, are you talking about this little white slit?
screen_shot_2015-03-30_at_6.png

Actually, look at the image below.

The entire oval in the middle of the stone? thats the window. Because you have a halo type setting, I really hope it closes as you paid a lot of money for that stone.

window_.jpg

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

haha..thank you that image is very straight forward!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

glad to be of service. :bigsmile: Can I ask were you after unheated or does heat only bother you? I ask because there are some places that you can get heated stones for a bit less, with precision cutting (gemfix has a good selection of montanas) They had a large one 9x9 for about 5K or a bit more, but it was heated.

I like the color of the stone, but the window again, is something that I would be unhappy about at the price Also, the setting is very very nice.

On a personal level I like big rings (as well as small...I have them all! :)) ). Nothing wrong with going big if you aren't self conscious about them.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, Arcadian.

I like the setting too. Did you buy this ring?

Do you know if the stone holds this color well in different lighting? Montana sapphires are known to shift color under different light conditions. I like the color in the pictures, but would be concerned about it getting more grey if the lighting is not optimal.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

I've heard unheated is bad or weakens the stone? I like the idea of having a completely natural stone. but maybe i'm wrong about heat treatment.

I love the color in this picture, it's the color I've dreamed of (or close enough). But now that I know what a window is, I'm not sure if we want to pay that much money for a windowed stone.

Idk how it looks under different lighting. the natural sapphire company doesn't provide info like that on their website, maybe i'll have to personally ask.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Firstly, excise that video of the ring from you memory. It is entirely digital and sooooooooo false.
Second that stone is in no way shape or form "vivid"; it is pale with a strong grey mask. (of course this is all based on the video and imagery provided by nsc). That window would be great if it looked out on the ocean or at least the bay, but not on the pores of the back of your finger. TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS can do so much more than that.

Unheated is better, if the stone is better. If the stone is lesser, than heated statues is less relevant. TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS deserves better rather than lesser, in both heated status and cut, unless it is over 8 carat (if not from major $$$$ locations of origin).

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

oh and i haven't purchased the ring or stone yet! TNSC will create a mockup of any stone and setting you're interested in. I'd like to go to NY before I make any final decisions. but now i'm not sure about this stone anymore.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

VapidLapid|1427758873|3854761 said:
That window would be great if it looked out on the ocean or at least the bay, but not on the pores of the back of your finger.

lmao! note taken. i'll keep looking.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

Arcadian|1427757039|3854744 said:
Because you have a halo type setting, I really hope it closes/quote]

Do halo settings tend to "close" windows?

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

I really love the setting but it appears that the sapphires at TNSC are not the cream of the crop.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

You have a decidedly healthy budget, from which you can get a knock put sapphire ring. If montans is the locale you would like to source from there is a fantastic stone at gemfix right now that is less than half your budget. Half of the balance could get a world class goldsmith to fabricate a ring for generations for you.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

i had been eyeing some of those gemfix stones a few months ago, but turned away because they are heat enhanced. i'll look again. what are the pros and cons of heat enhancement?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

check the montana sapphire 3/4 the way down with turquoise in the description and unheated too!.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

thanks i missed that one!
does each stone have it's own page? i can't seem to open the little picture up.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

alas, no. if you are at that point in curiosity you should contact them. I myself would buy that one for me in a minute if I had the need and the $. Life does not always present opportunity at the most opportune time!

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

okay. i want to do some more research before contacting them personally.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS can do so much more than that.
Um, $12,000? I had no idea it was that much.

Please consider the stones from GemFix. They are precision cut, and Andrew has a nice selection of Montanas.

With your budget, you could get a sapphire with a much purer blue hue, if that is what you want. Grey is fine, but you should not pay that kind of price for that color, size, and poor cut.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

what do you mean by purer blue hue?
i personally really like the greenish blue montana sapphires.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

The Montana sapphire above has a lot of grey in it. Most Montanas will be pretty grey, but you can find one that is less grey. If you like grey, that's okay, but such a stone should be priced lower.

Here is another vendor that sells Montanas. There are some reviews here on PS, and a I think a few people have worked with Blaze. Not all the stones are precision cut.

http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=83_53

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

goldbandgirl|1427759173|3854765 said:
Arcadian|1427757039|3854744 said:
Because you have a halo type setting, I really hope it closes

Do halo settings tend to "close" windows?
Any setting, or any thing that blocks light from getting into the part of the gemstone that is poorly cut makes the window less noticeable. Windows look lighter than the rest of the stone. Halos or settings with a lot of metal of in the gallery tend to block light, which makes a window look better, but these settings also tend to darken the stone overall compared to when it is loose.

A well cut stone will reflect light back better than a poorly cut stone that has a window (and allows the light to leak out, instead of reflecting it back), assuming the color and clarity are equal.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

i see. thanks for the explanation. i'm going to search for a better quality stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

goldbandgirl|1427765144|3854835 said:
what do you mean by purer blue hue?
i personally really like the greenish blue montana sapphires.
Greenish blue should be a lot less expensive that a pure blue Montana sapphire.

S

SparkliesLuver

goldbandgirl, the one from Gemfix that I've eyed for quite some time is 420. Do a search on the page and it'll come up. I'm also a big blue green fan!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Color is subjective. Most on PS tend to go toward pure hues, I personally like a lot of everything. Anyway I ran quickly through gemfix to see what they had. I didn't put any of their pending sale stones, just the ones that are currently for sale. I put a link to the image, trying to get all those images to post here would have been a nightmare.

I would concentrate most on the Measurements versus the actual weight. that will tell you if its going to be big or small on your hand. To that end though, I pulled the biggest unenhanced stones on their page.

Montana Sapphires on Gemfix:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html

Montana Sapphire Oval Modified "Supernova" Cut
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_535.jpg
Weight: 2.82cts
Measurements: 9x7.3mm, depth 5.5mm
Clarity: VVS-VS
Origin: Montana, USA
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 2950.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_535
Description: Giant, certified unheated blue oval Montana sapphire. In north facing noon daylight I can see both turquoise and violet-blue. Under incandescent light, steely-blue with no green. Flashy cut, faint "cloud" of silk to one side. (Cut by Andrew Gulij) No Pantone

Montana Sapphire Modified "Radiante" Cut
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_538.jpg
Weight: 2.87cts
Measurements: 7.4x6.9mm, depth 5.9mm
Clarity: VVS
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_538
Description: Very large unheated Montana sapphire. Beautiful cut makes it sparkle. Lightest brightest silvery blue in north daylight. Under incandescent light color is silvery aquamarine blue.
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)
No Pantone match

Montana Sapphire Cushion "Rhapsody" Cut
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_497.jpg
Weight: 2.27cts
Measurements: 8.2x6.4mm, depth 5mm
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_497
Description: Stunning! Large cushion with beautiful cut and eye clean. Color flashes both blue and green, gorgeous.
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)
No Pantone Match

Weight: 2.06cts
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_486.jpg
Measurements: 7.9x6mm, depth 5.2mm
Price: $ 2260.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_486
Description: Hard to find cushion shape Montana sapphire. Soft silver blueish green. Or greenish blue? Eye clean at 8 inches. (Cut by Andrew Gulij)
Closest Pantone Color Card: 563C is close

http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_464.jpg
Weight: 2.87cts
Measurements: 8.5x7.3mm, depth 5.5mm
Price: $ 5450.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_464
Description: Rare, unusually large and clean unheated Montana sapphire cushion! Color is a beautiful silvery aqua.
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)No Pantone Match

Montana Sapphire Round "Roulette" Cut
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_480.jpg
Weight: 3.04cts
Measurements: 8mm, depth 6.1mm
Price: $ 4560.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_480
Description: Huge green Montana sapphire round. Flashy, brilliant, and full of fire. Color is a cool silvery green, not yellow as picture. Beautifully cut and clean, unusually large. Unheated. (Cut by Andrew Gulij) Closest Pantone Color Card: 556C is very close

http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_439.jpg
Weight: 2.04cts
Measurements: 7.1mm, depth 5.1mm
Clarity: VVS-VS (Light "Silk")
Price: $ 1895.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_439
Description: Unheated Montana round, colors are both a soft turquoise and... platinum! Silkiness gives it a luminescence that is hard to capture. Unique and beautiful. (Cut by Andrew Gulij) Closest Pantone Color Card: none

http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_457.jpg
Weight: 2.03cts
Measurements: 7.3mm, depth 5mm
Clarity: VVS (Light "Silk")
Price: $ 2230.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_457
Description: Unusually large unheated Montana sapphire round. Eye clean, but silk gives it a little haziness. Color is a medium silvery green. (Cut by Andrew Gulij) Closest Pantone Color Card: 7473C is close

Montana Sapphire Cushion Modified "Portuguese" Cut
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_446.jpg
Weight: 2.53cts
Measurements: 7.6x6.8mm, depth 5.6mm
Price: $ 4550.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_446
Description: Wow. Fabulous untreated turquoise-green Montana cushion. Shifts from turquoise to pure green. Gorgeous cut, high crowned, and excellent clarity. (Cut by Andrew Gulij) Closest Pantone Color Card: No match

http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_448.jpg
Weight: 2.02cts
Measurements: 7x6.4mm, depth 5.4mm
Price: $ 2495.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_448
Description: Very sparkly untreated silvery-turquoise-green Montana cushion. Beautifully cut with a high crown, excellent clarity. (Cut by Andrew Gulij) Closest Pantone Color Card: 570/571C overall

http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_435.jpg
Weight: 2.71cts
Measurements: 7.2x7.1mm, depth 6mm
Price: $ 3685.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_435
Description: Exquisite. Fiery and brilliant, color is an icy blue with a touch of turquoise in some light. Large, well cut, and clean. Gorgeous! (Cut by Andrew Gulij) Closest Pantone Color Card: Flashes 542C

http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_509.jpg
Weight: 2.56cts
Measurements: 8mm, depth 5.2mm
Price: $ 3840.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_509
Description: Unusually large light-medium blue Montana sapphire round. In daylight a hint of green and violet can be detected. Under incandescent light,silvery blue. Well cut and eye clean at 8 inches or so.
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)
No Pantone Match

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pregcurious|1427764886|3854828 said:
TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS can do so much more than that.
Um, $12,000? I had no idea it was that much.

Please consider the stones from GemFix. They are precision cut, and Andrew has a nice selection of Montanas.

With your budget, you could get a sapphire with a much purer blue hue, if that is what you want. Grey is fine, but you should not pay that kind of price for that color, size, and poor cut.

I went to look, and I thought the WHOLE ring was $12K, but it's just the stone. :shock:

I think you can find that whole look for $12K and maybe even less.

Greyish blue sapphires should be far less per carat than their more saturated counterparts, if all else is equal.

If you like greyish blue stones, there's also spinel, and sapphires from other sources. Does it have to be a Montana sapphire? If not, that opens you up to more choices. That stone also has a lot of green in it, which also lowers the price per carat, and I take strong objection to NSC calling it "vivid." It is anything but vivid.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Forgot to mention that when it comes to GemFix, most have observed that the hand shots are more accurate for colour over the glamour shots.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

TL|1427809707|3855004 said:
Does it have to be a Montana sapphire? If not, that opens you up to more choices. That stone also has a lot of green in it, which also lowers the price per carat, and I take strong objection to NSC calling it "vivid." It is anything but vivid.

No it doesn't have to be a Montana sapphire. It can be any sapphire. Montana sapphires tend to come in the colors I like. I also like that Montanas come from the U.S.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results