shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a Cushion Cut Blue Sapphire

Corundomonium

Rough_Rock
I am trying to find a sapphire for an engagement ring, specifically a rectangular cushion cut blue sapphire. My girlfriend has small hands, so she wants the ring to be fairly small. As such, I'm trying to keep the stone near a carat. My budget is $1600. I found this one on the natural sapphire company website:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-55482-cushion-blue-sapphire-b6340/

It looked pretty good to me, but I wanted to seek some more experienced eyes. I'd appreciate any comments on this stone or any suggestions on others of a similar shape and color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Corundomonium|1426119796|3845831 said:
I am trying to find a sapphire for an engagement ring, specifically a rectangular cushion cut blue sapphire. My girlfriend has small hands, so she wants the ring to be fairly small. As such, I'm trying to keep the stone near a carat. My budget is $1600. I found this one on the natural sapphire company website:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-55482-cushion-blue-sapphire-b6340/

It looked pretty good to me, but I wanted to seek some more experienced eyes. I'd appreciate any comments on this stone or any suggestions on others of a similar shape and color.

I recommend you search this forum for the Natural Sapphire Company. It has very mixed reviews, and mostly negative. You should also read the sticky at the top of this forum about colored stones if you have not already done so. :)

S

SparkliesLuver

Personally, that one's pretty dark and there looks to be a large window. I'd pass. Instead, here's two that I'd recommend (not sure how you feel about heat treatment). I'd also check out the Montana sapphire tab to see if there's something that catches your eye there.

1.22 cts
7.3x5.5mm, depth 3.5mm
VVS
Heat only
$1,695

2.03 cts (might be too big but I had to mention it ;-) )
7.2x6.1mm, depth 4.8mm
VS
Heat only
$1,695

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

sapphire_blue_1199_a.jpg

sapphire_blue_1223_0.jpg

Corundomonium

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I'll remember to check the stickies next time! I ordered a few different stones, including the 1.22 ct from gemfix.com and I think that one is my favorite. It has a really nice deep blue color, but I'm worried that it might be too dark when set in a halo, which is what I'm planning on doing. What do you all think? Should I try and find a lighter stone? Here are some pictures:

(I also discovered my double-jointed fingers act as natural gemstone holders)

img_0304.jpg
fluorescent_0.jpg
diffuse_natural.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks nice on your hand, even if a bit dark. What is the light source used? If that is the darkest it ever gets, I think you might be fine.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
It looks nice on your hand, even if a bit dark. What is the light source used? If that is the darkest it ever gets, I think you might be fine.

+1

Corundomonium

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1427370643|3852600 said:

The top photo is under incandescent light, the middle is fluorescent light, and the bottom is diffuse natural light. The only time it's really darker is when in a poorly lit area. Glad to hear it's not too dark normally. I'll get working on the setting then I guess. Thanks everyone for your help.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may be asking too much, but to be sure, I would like to see a photo of it outside in shaded bright daylight. I would like to see it at its best and I think that situation will really make the color show as vibrant.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting the 3 pictures under all different light sources, so much more helpful than multiple pics/video under only one type of light! From what I can see, it looks very close to the vendor's photo. Congrats!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too dark for me. Don't confuse dark tone with high saturation like I used to do.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find the stone very well cut, but for my personal tastes, its a bit dark. Like Chrono said, you MAY be ok if thats the darkest it will get. A personal preference of my own is going a shade lighter than your ideal shade for halo type settings.

with this shade of stone I can really see this working best in a 3 stone ring type setting or, even as a solitaire with diamonds on the shank.

Corundomonium

Rough_Rock
I went to my jeweler to check out settings, so here are a couple more pictures with the stone on set on top of halo settings he had in stock.

Here's the stone on top of a halo with diamonds. Not planning on this style, but it was the only setting with diamonds in place and an empty center.
img_0333.jpg

This is the style of halo I'm planning on getting. No diamonds in this one, but it gives an idea.
img_0307.jpg

It's certainly a darker blue, but it doesn't seem to be black-looking like I had worried.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but it's very dark in tone and it will black out, it's borderline in your pictures. A jewelry store is a tough place to judge a stone due to the lighting they employ.

Corundomonium

Rough_Rock
Hmmm... I guess maybe it will be a bit dark. I'd like to find one that's brighter, but given my price limitations it seems like I'll have to sacrifice something and I'd rather it not be the hue. If I could find a smaller stone, that would be fine, but I haven't seen any of that nice royal blue.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Not to sound rude, but hue doesn't matter if the stone appears black the majority of the time.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For PS standards it looks rather dark. I personally like it though, but I have a preference for darker toned sapphires. I am afraid it might black out in less than ideal lighting conditions though...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Corundomonium|1427587933|3853895 said:
Hmmm... I guess maybe it will be a bit dark. I'd like to find one that's brighter, but given my price limitations it seems like I'll have to sacrifice something and I'd rather it not be the hue. If I could find a smaller stone, that would be fine, but I haven't seen any of that nice royal blue.

I agree with GregS on this; Jewelery stores use fantastic lighting, and they can in fact make all stones look good. You need to judge in your own environment. If the plan is to halo or bezel a blue sapphire, especially one thats on the darker end of the spectrum, go a shade or 2 lighter.

I personally would go with 2 shades lighter for my own personal comfort because while you chose a stone thats nicely cut and does indeed show its pretty color, has the potential of blacking out more than I would like.

I would look at the one below for 2 reasons. One, Portuguese cutting really allows the stone of this color to seriously reflect a lot of light in pretty much every situation, and two, the ability of being able to halo and it not blacking out. The color will deepen a bit but not too much, which is what I would be after more than anything.

Sapphire Oval "Portuguese" Style Cut
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_blue/sapphire_blue_1050.jpg
Weight: 1.54 cts
Measurements: 7.8x6.2mm, depth 4.2mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: Heat only
Price: $ 1540.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_blue_1050
Description: Deep - medium blue color oval sapphire. Excellent clarity. (Cut by Andrew Gulij)
Pantone 2728 & 2748C

I also believe its under your budget and has a good face up size.

If you're or she is open to ovals, I think it would look great on the hand.

At the end of the day though, you have to love the stone and if you love the one you have, and have done your due diligence, then set that sucker! :appl: If you're still questioning the choice, then yes, keep looking. You generally know when you have 'the one' in your hand and not much will be able to sway you from it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the first cushion is on the dark side, but it is in your price range, and the size/shape you wanted.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people prefer it a bit lighter, some people like it rather dark. What is your preference (after viewing it under various lights) based on your limitation of time, budget and etcetera?

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
You said it does not black out in the setting, yet someone here keeps insisting it does? Since you are the only one who can actually see the stone, the rest of us are making judgments based on your photos and the limitations of our monitors ...or phones.

Yes, this stone may be darker than "PS standards" as Acinom wisely pointed out. However, just as "industry standards" may tell us what is considered 'top' color, regardless of what we like or can afford, "PS standards" are just as irrelevant if we happen to like (or can afford) something that goes against opinions of the majority.

Most importantly, and something I haven't seen mentioned yet, does your girlfriend like deep blue sapphires, or does she prefer lighter ones? I know many guys like to surprise their girlfriends, but remember, if you want her to wear it every day, she better like it too. There are many sneak ways of finding out without ruining the surprise. ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like it, and it doesn't "black out" to you, then go for it.

Unfortunately, due to the Princess Diana/Kate ring, everyone and their uncle thinks dark toned sapphires are the best, but that isn't always the case. The Diana/Kate ring is NOT good color by any stretch of the imagination, even for those on a budget. That being said, buy what you think is beautiful, and if this fits the bill, is in your budget, and is as advertised as far as treatment is concerned, then get it. If you have your doubts, then keep shopping.

Despite the tone, which I'm not a fan of, I do see better saturation than the Diana/Kate ring on that stone.

Corundomonium

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the further advice. I've decided to send back the darker stone. I did some sneaky interrogation and found that while my girlfriend really likes the royal blue, she would give up some of that color for more sparkle, so I'm back on the hunt. It also turns out that elongated ovals are an option, so I have some more leeway on stone shape. I'll look into that gemfix oval. It looks promising.

Corundomonium

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your advice and suggestions everyone. I ended up picking the gemfix oval that was suggested. I think it ended up being just right. Lots of sparkle with good color indoors and outside. Here are some pics of the final ring.

Sunlight
sunlight_small.jpg

Fluorescent Light
fluorescent-small.jpg

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Oooo!!! Great choice! So glad that you went with the Gemfix. Can't wait to see hand shots ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hand shots appreciated. ;)) :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results