shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Found, Need a better Merchant! Need Advice!

dmercer3

Rough_Rock
Good day,

Unfortunately I am overseas so my resources are limited to the internet.

Been a long time lurker around here, this site helped me buy my wifes engagement ring years ago. I am trying to suprise her with a wedding band to go along with, and I found the exact ring I want (two of them actually).

The problem is the quality of diamonds this merchant is using, but the price is great (for a reason obviously).

My question is this, can i get a ring exactly, or close to, this ring for near the same amount of money from a known merchant with higher quality diamonds. Ultimately trying to stay under or as close to $1k. As it stands I can get two of these for $800.

What I would REALLY like is for the minimum color and clarity to match her engagement ring: Color F, Clarity VS-2 - SI-1.

Current ring from dazzlingrock:
0.45 Carat (ctw) 14k Gold Princess & Round Diamond Ladies Anniversary Wedding Band Stackable Ring 1/2 CT
Stone shape Round & Princess
Minimum color H-I
Minimum clarity I1-I2

Cut Very good cut
Polish Very Good
Stone Creation Method Natural
Stone Treatment Method None
Brand, Seller, or Collection Name DazzlingRock Collection
Metal stamp 14k
Metal White gold
Gem Type White diamond
Setting Prongs & Channel
Width 3.4 millimeters
Total metal weight 1.40 Grams
Ring size 6.5
Resizable No
Number of stones 64
Stone Weight 0.45 carats
Model number K1503-6.5

Greatly appreciate any advice, positive or negative.

-Dan

MixedPeel

Rough_Rock
Go with the vendor who gives you the best stone for your budget. You don't need all sweetness and cuddly hugs. When looking for the diamond, you need measurements and images. It may not be as much 'fun' but deep down, you know you won't be taken for a ride. You and your wallet don't owe your loyalty to any one vendor.

I like comparing it to the surgeon who took out my gallbladder. ZERO personality and beside manner BUT, as a surgeon, he's the absolute best. Highly skilled. I felt 100% safe with him doing my surgery even though there was no patting of the head for me afterwards

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would have to see a picture to see if we can show you a similar ring of better quality. I am a little confused, though. You are wanting to buy her two bands? These are 3.4mm and that is a width that would be fine for a single band, but not for two. I think that is rather wide. My band is about 2.2mm with a similar carat weight.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out ID Jewelry's website, and if you can, give them a call on Monday.

dmercer3

Rough_Rock
Here is a pic:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61zLv+BHzOL._UY575_.jpg

I was buying 2 of these to set up as an 'enhancer' for my wifes engagement ring. She wears a 6.25 so if you think these two bands with another in the middle is FAR to big (wide) for that type of thing please let me know! I can easily switch to buying just one (more CTW).

I did say I was getting the best price for this stone, but I want a slightly better stone in a similar ring for as close to this price as possible.

I know thats asking, I was just hoping the massive amount of knowledge that you guys have could point me in the right direction.

Thanks all for your help.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1427523912|3853633 said:
Check out ID Jewelry's website, and if you can, give them a call on Monday.

Another votoe for ID Jewelry, they are actually open on Sundays so you can call them tomorrow if you like. If you do a search here on threads for ID Jewelry or wedding bands in show me the bling you can see all the gorgeous wedding bands they made for several PriceScopers here who are very happy with not only the price but the quality of diamonds in the bands.
Ask for Shuly or Yekutiel and they should be able to assist you finding something within your budget.
Good Luck!

dmercer3

Rough_Rock
i guess people dont read anymore, i said twice i am overseas and cannot call anyone..

not even one opinion on the rings im looking at, and despite 2 recommendations for ID jewelry, they have no setting such as the one I posted here.

Well I assumed it was asking a bit much in my current position. Thanks for the attempt guys.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No reason to get snotty: you made one reference (in your first post) to being overseas, didn't provide even a link to a picture until this morning, and although no one here is getting paid to do your bidding, people were indeed more helpful than you appreciate. I.D. Jewelry's web site has a clearly identified online chat feature, so you can use that tomorrow (10 AM - 3 PM Eastern Daylight Savings Time) instead of making an international phone call. IDJ does good custom work for reasonable prices -- thus, the recommendations for IDJ and references to rings IDJ has made for others here.

For some basis of comparison, here is a channel-set, .50 tcw G-H, princess diamond band (3.2 mm wide) from James Allen in 14K white gold for $1020:
http://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-r...incess-shaped-diamond-wedding-band-item-1584?
and this one on Whiteflash's web site (more expensive than the JA one, but 18K gold and what are described as F-G, VS1 stones):
http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/channel-set-diamond-wedding-band-593.htm

Granted, these are plainer because they don''t have the additional rounds on the top & bottom edges of the band like the ones shown on that Amazon page and on DazzlingRock's web site
http://www.dazzlingrock.com/bridals...ching-band-stackable-ring/cpid/K1503/161.html

But either of these -- or a comparable band from IDJ -- will be more practical & much better made. The bargain bands look to have badly cut "frozen spit" diamonds ill set in poorly cast metal with porosity problems visible even in what we can assume are the companies' "glamor shots." I think $1000 is an unreasonably low budget for a quality version of the design you like, but see what IDJ says.

Was the center stone in the engagement ring graded by either the GIA lab or the AGS lab? If not, then the accuracy of the reported color and clarity is up for grabs; the up side to that is you then might be more comfortable about "stepping down" on the stones in the new wedding/anniversary band.

dmercer3

Rough_Rock
well apparently being 'snotty' as you described it got me a much better response didnt it?

Previously diamondseeker2006 posted a very informative response to my original question and was indeed obviously the only one whom took the time to try and help, so I am sooo sorry I offended mighty MollyMalone here.

Either way I want to clarify that I did thank those that attempted to help me, but sorry i didnt 'kiss their rings' after they obviously posted just to add to their post count rather than address a single question that I posed. And sorry I didnt wake up early enough on the other side of the world to post a picture, which I did hours after asked by the way.

Its amazing MollyMalone, that you obviously have the knowledge to help someone but waited until I got 'snotty' (your words) before trying to help me. Maybe it was your timeliness that caused the attitude on my part, and not my timeliness of posting a picture contributing to your condescending nature.

Finally, thanks for comparing my 2.5CTW to a .5CTW. Thats about what I had honestly expected, as I stated, it was a difficult position I was in trying to replicate the diamond quality without the poor vendor setting quality at a reasonable price point; which sparked great redundancy in pointless responses.

Everything else you said confirmed my fears (I had already used the chat option yesterday for ID Jewelry, they have yet to respond) that the low quality settings are something I will have to deal with to get a decent deal on a diamond.

To answer your question (which seldom happens here I am learning) I have an GIA/insurance appraisal(s) on my wifes engagement ring to authenticate the F color and VVS1 cut. Unfortunately these .5CTW S1-S2 or 1CTW I2-I3 are not going to look good next to her 2.5ct princess sitting on top of pave/milgrain setting, which apparently is out of style.

I agree about your critique of bargain bin jewelers, however, thats how I got my wifes engagement ring and it turned out fantastic and appraised for 5 times what I paid.

So I do believe $1k is not completely unreasonable for a 1CTW VVS2/F-G in 14k white gold pave/milgrain. I will await IDJ response, and I will follow up here, if I am not banned as soon as MollyMayhem over here gets all huffy puffy that someone DARE to look upon her ivory tower with anything other than an ivory grin.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I had not seen your griping post before I embarked on writing my post while searching through the web sites of four quality vendors to see what channel set bands they might offer in your targeted $1000 budget. But when I hit the Preview button, your I guess people dont read anymore, i said twice i am overseas and cannot call anyone, etc. came into view. I did then modify my intro because, yeppers, I found your remarks unfair to those who had previously responded & quite off-putting. But I did not delete the body of my just composed post with the information about: IDJ (who could tell from your gripes that you had already used the online chat function, realized they do custom work); the quality settings with better diamonds I had found, for I thought that would help you understand why you hadn't found a quality version of what you want; and my assessment of the bargain bands (you'd just complained not even one opinion on the rings im looking at ).

As reflected on IDJ's Contact Us page, they are not open on Saturdays; they are Orthodox Jews and do not work on their Sabbath, which is why Madison 2 alerted you to the possibility of reaching IDJ tomorrow rather than today & you've not yet received a response to your online chat missive.

We still don't know whether the engagement ring stone was accompanied by a GIA lab report or if the ring simply has an appraisal prepared by a GIA Graduate Gemologist, but there is no doubt that using VVS2/F-G stones is important to you. As for the low quality settings are something I will have to deal with to get a decent deal on a diamond, I don't see value in putting multitudinous high caliber diamonds in a thin, shabby version of your desired design, for the ring won't stand up well to daily wear; it will go out of round easily, the high caliber stones that mean so much to you will be be going MIA. I'd be concerned that even with a quality replica those round melee stones on the edge are going to be rubbing against her engagement ring.

But hey, you're the captain of your fate. Carry on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results