shape
carat
color
clarity

Visit to PP for Tahitians

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks (again) to PS for this Pearl forum. I visited Pearl Paradise yesterday, and the lovely and gracious Hisano showed me Pearl Paradise's beautiful Tahitians. I'll try to tell this story in chronological order, but you may want to just skip my narration for the pretty pictures. I will provide PP's description of the pearls with each set of pictures to help you interpret them. The conclusion of the story is that I bought a beautiful strand of multicolor pearls originally recommended to me by Hisano.

I first contacted Hisano in February regarding buying my first Tahitian pearls. I was originally interested in circled baroques, and requested strong overtones, on a dark body, with a circle pattern. (I thought that dark was what I wanted, but it is not because I want stronger overtone the most.) Hisano provided pictures of the two following sets, and kindly offered that she preferred the second, lighter strand because it showcased overtones of green and peacock. The first strand is "8.3- 12.3 mm in AA+ quality. It has hints of greens and peacocks throughout the strand but the dark body color is very strong". The second strand is 10.1 -12 mm in AA+/AAA quality with overtones of greens and peacocks. Thus, my education began.

tahitianbaroque-dark.jpg

tahitianbaroque-light.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
As Hisano pointed out, the lighter body color allows the overtone to shine, but I requested smaller pearls because I am not a jewelry wearer and would feel self-conscious wearing pearls over 11 mm. (I am sure there is PSS, or pearl shrinkage syndrome, so I expect in a few years I may feel differently.) Unfortunately, I can no longer access the pictures of the 4 strands that were similar in color to strand 2 from above, but smaller.

I picked the circled strand that I liked the most, but Hisano suggested that I consider some new multicolor ovals posted to the PP Blog, which said: "The pearls are slight ovals to semi-baroque, all A and A/B grade (which translates to AA+/AAA and AAA for us) in great colors. The resulting strands appear round, but that slightly off-round shape cuts the cost dramatically and adds the extra curvature that results in those extra colorful overtones."
http://blog.pearlparadise.com/2015/02/my-love-affair-with-tahitian-pearls-continues/?utm_source=FLF&utm_medium=socialmediaFB

Hisano suggested that I consider one particular multi strand (8.5-10.3 mm AAA) and provided a picture next to the circled strand:

150216_circle_multi.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I wasn't sure of what to make of the multi strand. The overtones were so beautiful and strong, which I liked, but I was initially resistant to having a mix of colors in one strand. I had never tried on pearls with such a variation in color.

I did like the idea of ovals though. Hisano provided me with pictures of ovals that were all one color, but I cannot access those pictures. Of these strands, Hisano recommended what I will refer to as strand 4 in this post. I also liked strand 5. She provided me a picture of strands 1 (circled), 4 (oval), and 5 (oval) with the Multi (oval) under indoor lighting, on her wrist, and near a window to give me a better feeling for the overtones.

150218_145m.jpg

150218_145m_wrist.jpg

150218_145m_window.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
About a month later, I went to PP in person and bought the Multi strand. It really was that fabulous in person. It is now out for stringing. I picked out two of the mid-size silvers for earrings. I also bought a great classic round peacock for a ring, but I will post about that later tonight, as well as pics of other pearls I saw, to learn about for future purchases.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Great topic! I like hearing stories about how people choose their pearls. Love the photos, too!

Congratulations on the multi strand. I think you will wear it more often than you expect.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Ennui. The pictures from PP are great. I am embarrassed to post mine later.

I just realized, I didn't even ask about strands 4 and 5, but perhaps they were among the ones I saw. I was just so wowed by the multi strand that forgot. I was also flustered because I was 30 minutes late to my appointment due to not understanding better where PP was located or that there would be traffic in the middle of the day. I was mortified about being so late. :oops: :shifty: So painful. Ugh. There's my confession, which goes with something else I learned. LA has traffic...all the time. Please expect travel to PP to take at least double the expected Google Maps travel time.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I had an interesting experience with an online map, I can't remember which one it was. Anyone, it gave me driving directions for two streets that don't actually intersect. The two streets come close, maybe within 20 feet, but there's a fence. It was (almost) funny.

Yes, LA traffic is bad. SF Bay Area traffic is bad, too.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I live in MD, and I'm fortunate to be able to avoid high traffic on my work commute. I rarely have to deal with traffic unless I go into DC or VA.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Were you in LA for another reason, or did you make a special trip to look at pearls?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I was on the West Coast for work, but not in LA. I took a day off of work, and had to take a train to LA.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds like an adventure! That will make your strand even more special. :angel:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree. Jewelry is meaningful to me when it's attached to something. This purchase resulted from a longer life-experience odyssey, and the end of that odyssey. When I hand it down to my daughter, it will come with a story.

Separately, I'm mostly done with collecting gemstones, causing my eye to wander over to the world of pearls. All the invasive treatments and simulants in colored gemstones have killed the fun for me. It got to the point where I felt I had to send everything in for a gem report, or have an appraiser weigh in on major purchases, and that's not fun. I never got burned, as far as I know, but more knowledgeable and experienced collectors have, so it was just luck. (Actually, I have my suspicions about some things I have bought, but never sent them out for testing.) I decided to stop before the inevitable happened. I hope that does not happen to the world of pearls.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok...WOW. I love that multi! I can't wait to see it on you. I love those strong coloured ovals too (strands 2 and 3 on Hisano's wrist). But the multi just glows. I bet you will wear it often and with great joy!

And can I say how jealous I am of everyone who gets to go in person? They might have to call security on me to get me to leave if it were me!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent write up, thanks for sharing, enjoy your pearls.

And yes PSS does exist, as one can carry and wear bigger pearls as one advances in age, life experiences and unfortunately for some like myself, increases in dress size! :oops: :lol:

DK :bigsmile:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, cmd. It was like being in a candy store.
Thanks, DK, it's nice to see you over from CS.

So, here is another item I was looking for, and trying to understand. Prior to going to PP, I had seen pictures of "peacock", seen actual pearls labeled peacock, and had read descriptions, but I was not sure I had seen an excellent example in person . Hisano showed me a top 9 mm peacock pearl for a ring setting I have that my jeweler is willing to convert for a pearl.

The pearl is amazing. Hisano said it had good orient, which I understand a little from my souffle set from POJ, but really I don't know the technical terms to describe the pearl I just know that the luster is amazing, I can see my reflection easily, and there is perfect circle of green with rose in the middle, and gold in between. The first picture is most accurate for color, but you really have to see it on person.

I took these pictures at home with my iPhone. Can you tell what color my phone is?

150326_peacock.jpg

150326_peacock_hand.jpg

150326_peacock_ring.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
preg,

You do know that I am on PG a good few years before I joined PS, right? ;)) I do not post in the pearl forum here much.

Here is a very informative thread on the subject of "orient" with examples over in PG: http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9285

The pearl and setting you have chosen will make a gorgeous ring.

DK :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
DK, I had no idea. (Are we allowed to mention the other forum? :shifty: ) Thanks for the link. I find it easier to see orient on lighter colored pearls. I think orient is why I see yellow in the Tahitian?

The setting is from my first ering reset, which was a failure (I have a post about it). I was never able to find a CS that did it for me on this setting, and I was restricted on size with a CS. With a pearl, it can be mounted with a post, so there is more flexibility on size. I looked at 10-11 mm peacocks, but there was nothing like this beauty.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful pearls preg, and thanks for sharing your experience!

DK thanks for the link. I must admit that 'orient' is one of the technical terms I have difficulty understanding!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Orient is the iridescence in some pearls, but what I understand. I have a souffle set that has strong orient, and it makes them really special to me. It reminds me sometimes of an oil slick effect.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too struggle with differentiating between orient and iridescence, the former is supposed to be deeper, like opal; whereas the latter is on the surface only; that's how I understand it.

No doubt the experts will correct me if I am wrong.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. Looks like I need another class at PP. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen until next year.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1427512172|3853573 said:
Interesting. Looks like I need another class at PP. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen until next year.

If all goes according to plan, I shall be in LA in July 2016 to attend the annual PG Ruckus that usually includes a trip to PP, in case you are interested, as a few of the experts will be there for certain.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
dk168|1427510503|3853561 said:
I too struggle with differentiating between orient and iridescence, the former is supposed to be deeper, like opal; whereas the latter is on the surface only; that's how I understand it.

No doubt the experts will correct me if I am wrong.

And then there's "nacreous" : National Geographic, Dec 2014, p 72 by Kennedy Warne "...of discarded abalone shells. They were the size of soup bowls, and they shimmered with nacreous shades of pink and green, like scenes from an aurora."

I think I'll just fall back on "ooooh, pretty." It's easier.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I wish we had a PP or PoJ equivalent in Australia! I think I need to see a bunch of high quality pearls in person and have an expert explain these terms to me!

Per a certain guide:

'orient: Optical phenomenon that produces iridescent colors on the surface of some natural and cultured pearls. One or more of these factors creates orient: reflection, refraction, diffraction, and thin-film interference.

iridescence: Play of color over the surface of a pearl as interference divides white light into its component colors.

nacreous: Composed of nacre.'

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
ricezo|1427527133|3853645 said:
nacreous: Composed of nacre.'

Well, there's a useless definition. :lol:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, DK. I would love to go but I think it would be a difficult venue for young kids.

Thanks ricezo and ennui.

Cmd, I hope I wear these. I like that it has all different colors so that I can contemplate my preferences before another big purchase. I currently only wear my wedding band so it will take some effort to wear a necklace.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Ricezo, have you considered purchasing different kinds of single pearls from PP to make a sampler set for yourself? I purchased the one peacock for the ring because I want to live with what is considered trade ideal (for peacock). After years of collecting colored gemstones somewhat haphazardly, I learned that I should have been more methodical. I was just like, ooo pretty! Now, CS buying has become so competitive that it's not fun anymore.

This time, I have a strategy for learning about and purchasing pearls.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
The multi strand looks really nice. Very interesting pattern, too. Good choice! Can't wait for neck shots. The pearl you chose for the ring also looks gorgeous.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Tucs.

I have some additional photos that I took of Tahitians at PP. These photos include strands that I did not buy, and are good for comparing how ovals look compared to rounds, drops, and circled Tahitians. (I was trying to understand the shapes better.)

From the top:
Round
Round
Multi color oval
Round
Drops
2 Circled

img_7499.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I also saw a long rope of Tahitians.

img_7501.jpg