shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for a Gift Wanted

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Dear Colored Stoners,

As many of you know, my SO has been going through a lot of health issues. The one that we have been battling most for the last 10 months is this awful Osteonecrosis of the jaw. Let's skip the disease and get to the subject. As many of you will know from experience, there is often someone behind the scenes who makes everything happen and easier on the patient and caregiver. It is so in our current experience. The receptionist/office manager/insurance billing guru at NYU Langone had made everything that was complex easy and straightforward. We would like to give her a something special in appreciation. Flowers seem to me trite in this situation. Not to disparage flowers, they are great, but we are daily dealing with quality of life, and extension of life issues and feel something a little more significant and lasting would better represent our gratitude. Yelena has dark hair, Rubenesque form, and always has everything under control. Earrings, a pendant, a bangle, something non bling, suggest anything you feel. Budget would be nice at $250. if it is even possible
Thank you

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thanks dk, a very interesting and appropriate suggestion. As I am more familiar with pearl paradise I checked their website and found this

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4790-brilliant-collection-tahitian-baroque-pearl-and-diamond-pendant.aspx

which I quite like too. Please keep the suggestions coming. Before I posted this I was looking at a 14kt jade stick pin on ACS website. I felt strongly the need to get as many ideas as I could from a female perspective. I also want not to be inappropriate, or construable as implying other interests.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VL........what kind of jewelry does she wear right now? Does she have rings or a wedding band and what color metal? If she wears necklaces.......are they longer or shorter versions? Is she a formal jewelry person (pearls would match) or informal (which could lead to other semi-precious stones). I'm asking because if you get a stand alone piece it would be nice to blend with what she consistently wears, if she wears jewelry daily.
This is an amazingly nice gesture on your part..............

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
There's an ebay store called jewelryinmotion. I think they're affiliated with one of the known vendors here because of the similarities in photography of the loose stones but I'm not sure. If they are, theyre worth looking at, imo. I also agree with digdeeps post.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a beautiful idea! Unless she has very specific taste, I think something classic like a beautiful pearl pendant like DK suggested or pair of stud earrings - pearl or maybe gemstone. Yvonne Raley has some beautiful gemstone earrings.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this idea Vapid. So thoughtful of you guys. I think anything you get for her will touch her heart and she will so appreciate and love it because it comes from your heart.
I like the idea of earrings (as long as her ears are pierced of course). Many women have pearl studs in their jewelry wardrobe already however so while I love the idea of pearl studs not sure since there is a fair chance she already has them.

Have you noticed if she wears a specific color more often than others? If for example she has a lot of blue in her wardrobe perhaps blue topaz earrings would be a lovely choice? IDK if you can get beautiful quality gemstone earrings at that budget because I am not a colored stone guru but if one of the experts could chime in if that is a possibility and with some choices. I like earrings because lots of women switch earrings depending on what they are wearing for that day. I know I do and I love having a variety of earrings and switch this up more than any other piece of jewelry I wear.

But I also love that tahitian baroque diamond pendant you posted. It's a lovely and unique gift at what I think is a terrific price. So if you and your SO love that pendant I would go for it since it is on special right now. It is beautiful and different and I cannot imagine she would not love it.

I hope your SO's recovery is going smoothly and quickly and as always sending lots of good wishes and PS dust your way.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want to get her something based on her taste, now, and it doesn't have to be jewelry, or even real precious metal/stones.

Some women don't even like "real" jewelry and rather have large costume pieces than a very small real piece.

One should also note about skin allergies, so that she might only be able to wear a certain karat of gold, etc. .

Whatever you do get, make sure it's returnable so she can get something else in its place if she wants to. If you purchase it from a major department store, then she has lots of choices.

Very nice gesture. Good luck with your partner's health issues.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Tahitian pearl you selected is very safe; it goes with everything and in lovely for your budget.

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
I'm not even a pearl person, but I love the Tahitan pearl too. It's beautiful.
Such a lovely gesture!

S

SparkliesLuver

What an amazingly thoughtful gesture. :D

I know this isn't CS related, but what about a Cape Cod style bracelet? I have one and wear it often. It'd go with anything, comes in various metals and is definitely within your budget.

ssttccbracweb_large_1.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
A pendant is a good idea. Rings and bracelets have to fit in size, and earrings are specific to pierced/non-pierced. If your SO is there, or if you provide a card signed by your SO, the gift should not be misconstrued.

It's great that you are being so thoughtful. I have been the caregiver before. Your message brought tears to my eyes. Hugs and good wishes to you.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the pearl that was posted, its very pretty and understated. I also like the bracelet.

I agree with TL, whatever you get, allow her the option of exchanging for something more within her style.

Praying that your partner has a very speedy recovery.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Vapid,

I don't think it should be jewelry. I would get her a nice leather handbag or a beautiful silk scarf or even a nice bottle of perfume, if you can find what she likes. Or, this may be one of the only times I'd like a gift card and then she can get what she wants. You might ask her co-workers what she'd like.

Annette

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I got my DD a pair of sapphire studs for about $250. The sapphires were from Jerry Newman (he has several pairs, ask him for pics), and they were set for me in 14K white gold for around $100 by IDJ. She wears them ALLLL the time, since they are work appropriate. From a CS point of view, they're interesting; Montana sapphires that look green as heck in the box and then become Totally blue when she wears them. I guess it's the direction of the light, but it's very cool.

I've also had luck with Blue Nile for sterling jewelry. They have a lot to choose from under $250, and the perceived value is high.

Or how about a Visa gift card plus $50 blue nile necklace? Lots of goodies on Blue nile.

As far as pearls go, I've ordered a bunch of stuff from Pearl lunar on ebay. They've always come through, and it's all pretty nice. Or check in with Jose at Tahitian Pearls Biz, he has gobs of stuff not on his site.

But you may want to poke around in the gift policy at her workplace, some places are against that sort of thing. Stupidly against it, I say. :|

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This can get kind of sticky as many companies have policies about 'gifts' between staff and clients/patients/etc........so the 'gifts' are supposed to be surrendered to the company if there is such a policy in place. (Another reason not to ask questions of co-workers) The more I think of it I believe that a gift card at a major dept store with a beautiful card expressing your gratitude might be a good way to go. Really nice if the gift card can be in her name only for redemption............hope that you find something that 'works' for you!

Typing at same time as iLander. The policies are to protect both staff and clients/patients but honestly, there are always discreet exceptions.......discreet being the keyword.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1427369822|3852598 said:
The Tahitian pearl you selected is very safe; it goes with everything and in lovely for your budget.

Another vote for the Tahitian pearl. There is something to the fact that it will be close to her heart that makes me feel like its the right choice. Unless she has others just like it, or has one particular pendant she seems to wear often (if you've even had time to notice), it will be exactly right. It is such a pure from the heart gift that I can't imagine she won't cherish it always.

ETA: I continue to send you both prayers and good energy.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so very thoughtful of and your SO to be thinking, in the midst of all you're going through, of how you might express your appreciation --and my vote too would be for the Tahitian pearl pendant. But I am sorry to say, Langone has a strict Gift Policy that forbids the acceptance of gifts, including gift cards, from patients, unless the employee and the patient have had an independent social relationship outside the hospital setting -- or if the gift is a "modest" one, made to a patient unit, of such a nature that all unit personnel can enjoy, such as a fruit basket or flowers.

So a gift to her can put her (and any of her colleagues who might see/learn of the present because they are supposed to report such to higher-ups) in an awkward position. She could seek approval from Langone's Compliance Officer, however, to accept the gift -- or you. might try getting advance approval yourself. I have no idea of how stingy the Compliance Officer is with his/her approvals

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of the pearl pendant. A gift card is a bit impersonal and will not have the lasting memory of your family. Perfume is too subjective regarding scent. A pendant is great as it does not have to be sized. Plus the OP's choice is so classic. Good Karma as it is on sale too. I highly doubt that the recipient will return this gift of appreciation.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if any jewellery does she wear? I would actually think a gift card from Whiteflash, Pearls Paradise or somewhere like that would be a better suggestion because if you choose something that she will never wear, while I am sure the thought would be appreciated jewellery is a very very personal thing. Buying someone who never wears pearls a pearl pendant for example might not be a great suggestion on the other hand if she has worn pearl items before then it might be a brilliant idea.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like the suggested gift card idea.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I finally clicked through on the pearl, and it seems a bit overpriced to me. That is a representative pearl and not the actual one, plus a chain is additional money. If you are interested in a drop pearl, you may want to ask Sarah at Kojima Pearl, I'm sure she has something nicer in stock and can send you pics. Also, Jose at Tahitian pearl biz has tons not on his site. They are both a bit more reasonable than PP, IMHO. Whoever you order from, ask for RL pics, without the fancy filters, or you will end up with just a grey pearl. Pearls are MUCH worse than colored stones, in terms of color accurate pics, if you ask me. :rolleyes: Ask specifically for a "Green (or blue, or silver or whatever) body color", not just overtone, or you will end up with grey and then a slight overtone that only shows up in the bath room, on a cloudy day, if the sun is coming from the north. :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How thoughtful of you! I love the idea of a pearl pendant.
Not sure about US company regulation, but here in Europe employees will not be allowed to accept presents above a certain amount.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,
Any updates as to the company's policy of receiving gifts?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
First, thank you all for your great suggestions, and support. This person not only made everything easier for us, but she saved us a great deal of money. Digdeep, thank you for your extermely wise and pertinent points to consider. iLander you are right about asking for unfiltered photos of actual pearl, the picture sure looks like candy. Molly thank you for the info about policies. I have never worked for a big company so I had no idea, the issue had never crossed my mind. Chrono, I looked up the NYU Langone policies as best I could (not being an employee I could not log in and read everything). It does seem that they have a very strict policy. In language it focuses more on cash, or redeemable as cash gift,eg, gift cards. They all have to go through payroll and have all taxes taken out, no matter how small. Non cash gifts under $400 are in a slightly gray area. They mention anything over 400 has to go through them and be taxes or just become the property of NYU Langone, but they didn't say anything specifically about how personal gifts under $400 should be handled.

"Policy on Gifts, Prizes, Awards to Employees

Gifts, Prizes, Awards to Employees: In accordance with University policy, individuals will not be reimbursed for cash gifts (cash or personal checks) given to an employee or student. All cash gifts, regardless of the amount, must be issued as University Accounts Payable checks or processed through Payroll to ensure correct documentation and tax reporting.
1. Cash gifts (including gift certificates) are considered taxable income and are subject to withholding tax, unless the gift is less than $25.00.
2. Non-cash gifts or gifts of property are exempt from tax if the value is minor, i.e., the value of the non-cash gift does not exceed $400.00.

The complete detailed policy and related information are available at the NYU Controller's Division Web site ( www.nyu.edu/cdv). I encourage you to familiarize yourself thoroughly with these policies. Any additional questions should be directed to Natalija Shkreli, at [email protected] or 212-263-3872, WS Accounts Payable Customer Service at 212-998-2990 or [email protected] and/or Purchasing Services at 212-998-1030 or [email protected]."

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really glad you read up on policies. Working in the healthcare system I cannot accept gifts. It sounds like that you may be able to get away with a gift, as long as it is not cash or giftcard.

Good luck on selecting something. I know for me jewelry is personal and it would be hard to pick something out without knowing more about her taste. I'm not a big pearl person myself so would go more for nice silver jewelry, gemstones or a simple gold bracelet or necklace. I also like the idea of a nice pashima shawl, as many offices are cool and it is a practical but also luxurious gift.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL, I'm sorry I didn't include a link in my previous post to the Gift Policy to which I was referring, so here it is now:
http://www.amsascorecard.org/policy...-medicine/10.Langone-Medical-Center-Gifts.pdf

(What I think you found is this
http://www.med.nyu.edu/somadmins/announcements/gifts-policy.html
which is an advisory re the payment of, and tax withholdings on, internal gifts, prizes, awards, i.e., not from a person/entity outside NYU)

And here is a link to the general Code of Conduct, which includes the requirement that you should report even suspected violations by others to higher-ups; failure to report is itself a violation of the Code and renders you yourself subject to disciplinary action -- see pages 25-27 here:
https://www.nyu.edu/content/dam/nyu/compliance/documents/NYULMC-Code-of-Conduct.pdf

Virtually all of my professional life has been in the public sector where this kind of thing is drummed in (I even had to detail, on NYC's yearly Financial Disclosure form, gifts from my then SO -- even though, owing to the nature of his business, he had no dealings with the City and never would). But if you've never worked in this kind of milieu, many elements of the policies & codes of conduct can be a big surprise.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1427336569|3852500 said:
Thanks dk, a very interesting and appropriate suggestion. As I am more familiar with pearl paradise I checked their website and found this

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4790-brilliant-collection-tahitian-baroque-pearl-and-diamond-pendant.aspx

which I quite like too. Please keep the suggestions coming. Before I posted this I was looking at a 14kt jade stick pin on ACS website. I felt strongly the need to get as many ideas as I could from a female perspective. I also want not to be inappropriate, or construable as implying other interests.

I'm not a big pearl person but I think this is lovely and I'd definitely wear it!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered a pen? After my husband had his back surgery, he gave the surgeon a Mont Blanc, and the surgeon's eyes lit up and he snarfed it away in his pocket so fast, it was almost funny. This guy could have afforded 1000 pens, but I guess he never got around to getting one for himself.

If she is a generously proportioned person, jewelry scale can be an issue. But, you are also in NYC, land of the blue box. Have you considered a sterling something from Tiffany? These bead earrings are basic for everyday, but the 10mm size is good for any scale, plus it's the thrill of the fancy Tiffany wrap at $175. There is something about the round shape, too, it's very flattering on everyone.

I've gotten a Tiffany bracelet for DD, but they are tiny in scale. Maybe go up to the main store and check out what's in your price range? You should go upstairs to the sterling flatware section and check out the silver monkey straw. They're a hoot. :D

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/item.aspx?mcat=148207&selectedsku=11408362&sku=GRP03142&cid=288153&search=0&origin=browse&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+288153-s+2-r+-t+-ni+1-x+-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+3155+6&fromgrid=1&searchkeyword=&prolookupsearchadd=&prolookupsearchwn=&prolookupsearchradio=&prolookupsearchcheck=

Here's a bracelet, but not sure if it's a largish scale, you'd have to look at it in RL

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP00720&mcat=&cid=&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+-s+1-r+-t+monkey%20straw-ni+1-x+-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+0+1&search=1&origin=search&searchkeyword=monkey%20straw&selectedsku=21774022

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results