shape
carat
color
clarity

Survived a Pterional Craniotomy and a Brain tumor removal.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Survived a Pterional Craniotomy and a Brain tumor remova

Got my all of my staples removed today.
Here is a picture of my head with the staples:

And here is one without:

The pathology report came back saying that the tumor was WHO Grade I which is benign.
Although the neurosurgeon was pretty sure of that, there was also the remote possibility that there could
have been some atypical cells mixed in there, so this is wonderful news for me.

Welcome to my new temporary life of prune juice for breakfast every morning (as narcotic pain medications are known to be constipating).

I will admit to being quite scared prior to this surgery, especially reading and agreeing to the long list of complications that were possible. So far, there is no neurological deficit.

I also was able to play my flute last night which is a good sign. Like Crystal24K, I hope to be mentally sharper too. I was signing paperwork on Valentine's Day but could not figure out what the date was (everyone know's it is Feb 14). I thought maybe it was just the natural aging process (am in my late 50s). I had retired 4 years prior as a VP Software Engineering and did graduate Summa Cum Laude from college, so this was very frustrating for me. Also, most of my dizziness seems to be gone for now.

The life changing moment for me was when I was awakened in the Recovery Room and thought "I am ALIVE !!!".

To the PS Community, thank you again for your continued "dust" and thoughts of a successful and pain free recovery (not all the time as I still wake up in the middle of the night with throbbing headaches). As I regain my strength and concentration, I will be posting again on PS.

cheryls_craniotomy_2015_103_small.jpg

cheryls_craniotomy_2015_109_small.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cheryl - it's so good to hear from you again. Thank you for posting the wonderful biopsy update!

I continue to send dust your way for fast and thorough healing!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cflutist|1426808468|3849800 said:
Got my all of my staples removed today.
Here is a picture of my head with the staples:

And here is one without:

The pathology report came back saying that the tumor was WHO Grade I which is benign.
Although the neurosurgeon was pretty sure of that, there was also the remote possibility that there could
have been some atypical cells mixed in there, so this is wonderful news for me.

Welcome to my new temporary life of prune juice for breakfast every morning (as narcotic pain medications are known to be constipating).

I will admit to being quite scared prior to this surgery, especially reading and agreeing to the long list of complications that were possible. So far, there is no neurological deficit.

I also was able to play my flute last night which is a good sign. Like Crystal24K, I hope to be mentally sharper too. I was signing paperwork on Valentine's Day but could not figure out what the date was (everyone know's it is Feb 14). I thought maybe it was just the natural aging process (am in my late 50s). I had retired 4 years prior as a VP Software Engineering and did graduate Summa Cum Laude from college, so this was very frustrating for me. Also, most of my dizziness seems to be gone for now.

The life changing moment for me was when I was awakened in the Recovery Room and thought "I am ALIVE !!!".

To the PS Community, thank you again for your continued "dust" and thoughts of a successful and pain free recovery (not all the time as I still wake up in the middle of the night with throbbing headaches). As I regain my strength and concentration, I will be posting again on PS.

Woohoo!!! That is marvelous news Cheryl and I am so happy for you!!!
Great news about it being benign and great news about being able to play the flute and feeling sharper than ever.

As for the constipating side effect of pain meds I found eating a few prunes every morning to be helpful as well as taking docusate sodium or even senna if you need something stronger than the docusate every night. Maybe that is too much info but sharing it with you in case it could help you. And drink lots of fluid as that will get things moving too.

Big hugs and much continued dust being sent your way for a full and happy recovery. :appl:

lulu

Ideal_Rock

Very happy you had good news about the biopsy!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What wonderful news regarding the biopsy!!! You seem to be doing remarkably well considering all you have been thru. I'm so happy to hear you are able to play your flute. I can only imagine how scary this must have been for you and am so happy you are doing well!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cflutist, I am so glad to hear the tumor was benign. That is awesome you played your flute already. Sending lots of PS Get Well dust your way. :wavey:

Marcy

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are a miracle, Cheryl. I hope every day is better than the last! I am so glad that after all the harrowing experiences, you have had good news and good results. A clear head and the ability to play the flute plus a clean bill of health are very good news, indeed. I wish they had been yours with no suffering, however!

BTW, I cannot remember anything, and have no idea whether it is the "normal" aging process or just my aging process!

Hugs,
Deb

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, what an ordeal!!! Wishing you a healthy and fast recovery.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

So thankful that the tumor was benign! Woo hoo!

So glad that you had success with the flute also! :appl:

Also, don't get too worried about the weird bouts of forgetfulness. During the healing process, I once forgot how to make a PB&J sandwich. I had all the ingredients laid out and just didn't know where to begin. (I opted for a bowl of cereal instead.)

Continued blessings, peace, rest and health to you!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So glad your results came back healthy! I'm so sorry you went through this. Sending you healthy dust and lots of hugs. Hope your pain goes away quickly.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CRYSTAL24K|1426869603|3850078 said:
So thankful that the tumor was benign! Woo hoo!

So glad that you had success with the flute also! :appl:

Also, don't get too worried about the weird bouts of forgetfulness
. During the healing process, I once forgot how to make a PB&J sandwich. I had all the ingredients laid out and just didn't know where to begin. (I opted for a bowl of cereal instead.)

Continued blessings, peace, rest and health to you!

Had my first brain "fart" this afternoon. While talking to the Physical Therapist a non-word came out of my mouth. I immediately corrected it but was wondering how that happened. Also am happy with my improvement in the walking department as I was able to go about a mile (holding onto my husband ) when a week ago, could not walk 10 steps to the toilet.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Glad to see you are doing better!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is fantastically good news re the biopsy! Your surgical site looks A+, no redness, swelling or exudate. Congrats!!! Now you can go live YOUR life!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are amazing! I can't believe that you have gone from 10 steps or less to a mile in such a short time. The fact that you have improved so rapidly clearly bodes well for your recovery in the next few weeks. So cool about the brain function coming back! Maybe you can look at it like a "tune up" and now you'll be running better than ever! :cheeky: :wink2:

All kidding aside, continued dust and positive thoughts.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

You've made huge strides...no pun intended. Continued success!

Healing vibes across the miles....

cheers--Sharon

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

So happy to read that the tumor was benign! You're a very strong woman and big hugs to you and E. Keep us updated on your healing journey.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1427061964|3851062 said:
You are amazing! I can't believe that you have gone from 10 steps or less to a mile in such a short time. The fact that you have improved so rapidly clearly bodes well for your recovery in the next few weeks. So cool about the brain function coming back! Maybe you can look at it like a "tune up" and now you'll be running better than ever! :cheeky: :wink2:

All kidding aside, continued dust and positive thoughts.

Let me tell you about the 3 C's :read:
1 - I didn't Cause it
2 - I don't Control it
3 - I can't Change it

Those all pertained to the fact that I was diagnosed with a brain tumor one month prior to my surgery date.
Those 3 C's were very frustrating to me, meaning I didn't do anything that caused me to have a brain tumor.
I much rather prefer the 4 C's when it comes to diamonds :lol:

What I could do was control how I prepared for the surgery.
I immersed myself in learning all about my condition and the proposed craniotomy (at the expense of posting on PS).
I wanted to get myself in the best physical condition that I could and did so by walking 11,700 +/- steps (or about 5 miles) a day.
I even showed my calf muscle to the PT and OT at the hospital when relaying how frustrated I was trying to walk 5 - 10 steps
post-op. Of course I got the "you have just had major surgery" and in time will improve response from them.

So today I had a PT appointment at my house. I showed her how I could walk with my trekking poles.
We both agreed that I had strength in my legs from my prior conditioning, but still have a ways to
go as far as balance and coordination are concerned. She gave me some exercises to do, and I will see her again in 3 days.
Of course my head was throbbing when she was done with me.

I told the PT that I completed a Sudoku puzzle from the newspaper, but that my head literally hurt when I solved it.
I was reminded that 6 - 8 weeks for recovery from the surgery, but that it might take 6 - 8 months for getting full function back.
Little baby steps I guess.

Thanks again for all ofthe well wishes and "dust".

Time for another nap :blackeye:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

cflutist|1427144719|3851457 said:
[
Those all pertained to the fact that I was diagnosed with a brain tumor one month prior to my surgery date.
Those 3 C's were very frustrating to me, meaning I didn't do anything that caused me to have a brain tumor.
I much rather prefer the 4 C's when it comes to diamonds :lol:

I told the PT that I completed a Sudoku puzzle from the newspaper, but that my head literally hurt when I solved it.
I was reminded that 6 - 8 weeks for recovery from the surgery, but that it might take 6 - 8 months for getting full function back.
Little baby steps I guess.

Thanks again for all ofthe well wishes and "dust".

Time for another nap :blackeye:

I love your sense of humor! Yes, the 4C's of diamonds are certainly way better than the 3C's.

Great job getting out and walking a mile. That is huge! Congratulations. :appl:

As much as you can, don't push yourself too much or be too hard on yourself. You have to remind yourself that you just had major surgery on your brain! As a fellow Type A personality, I know that this is easier to say than to do, but you just have to find a way to let yourself rest and recover. I know we are not allowed to talk about religion here, but diving into my faith was helpful in alleviating my anxiety which allowed me to have peaceful rest.

The overwhelming exhaustion will end at some point. I was cleared to return to work at 8 weeks and I eased into it with a part-time schedule.

I am so pleased that you are doing so well so soon after the surgery! Thanks for the updates! :)

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock

Oh my goodness you poor sweet thing. Sending you tons of recovery dust. Hope you feel better really soon.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Was surprised yesterday with a Care Package from a group of my friends (some of whom post regularly here on PS). Included were 6 pints of ice cream (I quickly ate an entire pint last night), a box of French pears, and some Chicken Pot Pies. That was very thoughtful and generous of them as it was certainly unexpected.

Met with the Physical Therapist today and am continuing to make progress but still weak in the balance and coordination areas. She has me doing exercises with my eyes closed holding onto my kitchen counter but I find them difficult. Tonight I was looking at the mixed frozen carrots and peas in my bowl but yet I called the carrots "CORN". I have no idea why my mouth said "CORN" when they were clearly orange carrots, another brain "fart" I guess which is frustrating to me. I meet with the Occupational Therapist tomorrow just trying to relearn things for everyday living that we all take for granted (lol, have had no trouble cleaning my diamonds though).

Still occasionally have throbbing headaches and shooting pains at the incision site. Also found out by reading the neurosurgeon's notes that he also took a graft from my pericranium (to replace a section of cut dura) which might explain why some parts of my scalp are still so tender and sore. I also have 3 titanium plates and 14 screws in my head now. Jaw muscle is still sore too.

If anyone is interested, I found the description of my operation to be very fascinating since I was always curious as to what happens while one is under general anesthesia. They are included here:

Implants/Explants
Condition:
stable
Disposition:
PACU
Dictation:
Yes
Electronically signed by xxxxxxxx, William F (M.D.) on 3/11/2015 11:08 AM

Inventory item: SCREW BONE 4MM 1.6MM NEUROPRO CANCELL CRANIOMAXFCL TITAN SELF TAP
Serial no.: Model/Cat no.: 141S11604
Implant name: SCREW BONE 4MM 1.6MM NEUROPRO CANCELL CRANIOMAXFCL TITAN SELF TAP - LOG372444
Laterality: Right Area: Cranial
Manufacturer: KINAMED_INC Action: Implanted Number used: 14

Inventory item: PLATE STD 11MM TITAN 1.6MM SCREW 2 HOLE STRAIGHT NEUROPRO BONE SPINAL
Serial no.: Model/Cat no.: 141P10211
Implant name: PLATE STD 11MM TITAN 1.6MM SCREW 2 HOLE STRAIGHT NEUROPRO BONE SPINAL - LOG372444
Manufacturer: KINAMED_INC Action: Implanted Number used: 1

Inventory item: PLATE 22MM TITAN NEUROPRO BONE SPINAL
Serial no.: Model/Cat no.: 141P20122
Implant name: PLATE 22MM TITAN NEUROPRO BONE SPINAL - LOG372444
Manufacturer: KINAMED_INC Action: Implanted Number used: 2

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE:
The patient was taken to the operating room and placed under
general anesthesia. She was laid supine in Mayfield head pins
and the head turned to the left, exposing her right
frontotemporal region with the maximum eminence most prominent
field. This area was prepped and draped in the usual fashion.
A curvilinear skin incision starting at the zygomatic arch a
centimeter in front of the ear and curving up behind the hairline
in the midline was made and carried down to the pericranium and
temporalis fascia as appropriate. Raney clips were put in place.
Skin flap and muscle were elevated until I exposed the low
temporal region and the keyhole region. Skin and muscle were
held out of the way using large and small fishhooks. When the
area was clean and dry, a bur hole was put in the keyhole region
as well as in the inferotemporal region and the most posterior
temporal region at the superior temporal line. The dura was
stripped using #1 and #3 Penfields. The bur hole was then
connected using a craniotome and the bone plate was cracked off the
pterion and stored in antibiotic solution. There were some large
vessels coming from the pterion and the dura. These were
coagulated and cut and hemostasis obtained. Particulized Gelfoam
was put underneath the dural edges and the dura was tacked at the
Inner surface of the bone using interrupted 4-0 Nurolon.
I then did a subtemporal decompression with an S rongeur and
removed the pterion with a high-speed drill. After exposure was
complete and the area was dry, the dura was opened in C shaped
fashion and looped around the sylvian fissure. I opened just on
the edge of he tumor. As I began to roll the dura up, I could
take arachnoid adhesions, and began rolling the tumor out of the
sylvian fissure. There were several small veins adherent to the
back of the tumor and these were coagulated and cut, but no
arterial vessels were adherent. As I worked my way inferiorly
around the base of the tumor, I could see the origin from the
pterional dura. I continued cutting down with Metzenbaum
scissors and a 15 blade until I had completely freed the dural
base. I then completed rolling the tumor out of the sylvian
fissure with all the arachnoid adhesions and it was sent for
permanent specimen. This was grossly consistent with meningioma
After the tumor was removed, hemostasis was obtained with bipolar
cauterization and Gelfoam. The arachnoid to the sylvian fissure
was pristine and the large veins were still intact. After the
area was clean and dry, I turned my attention to the pericranium,
where a graft was taken using a 15 blade. All Gelfoam was
removed. When the tumor bed was dry, I closed the dura using a
pericranial graft. It was closed with interrupted 4-0 Nurolon.
Prior to complete dural closure, the subdural space was
inspected. It was meticulously dry, indicating good hemostasis.
After the dura was completely closed, the wound was thoroughly
irrigated with antibiotic solution and hemostasis obtained.
Gelfoam was put in the inferior temporal region along the base of
the skull. The bone plate was put back in place and held down
using micro craniotomy plates. Again the wound was irrigated
with antibiotic solution.
The temporalis muscle was reapproximated with interrupted 3-0
Vicryl. Raney clips were removed. Hemostasis was obtained. The
wound was again irrigated with antibiotic solution. The galea
was closed with interrupted 3-0 Vicryl and skin was closed using
staples. The wound was dressed sterilely. The patient was taken
from the operating room to the recovery room in stable condition.
Estimated blood loss was 100 mL.

Thank you for your continued "dust" and positive thoughts as I still have a long
road ahead of me.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cflutist

I have not read through all the posts.

But I just wanted to stop in and wish you all the best and that your coordination and balance improve soon - just that things get back to as normal as possible for you.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

cflutist|1427425320|3853055 said:
Was surprised yesterday with a Care Package from a group of my friends (some of whom post regularly here on PS). Included were 6 pints of ice cream (I quickly ate an entire pint last night), a box of French pears, and some Chicken Pot Pies. That was very thoughtful and generous of them as it was certainly unexpected.

Met with the Physical Therapist today and am continuing to make progress but still weak in the balance and coordination areas. She has me doing exercises with my eyes closed holding onto my kitchen counter but I find them difficult. Tonight I was looking at the mixed frozen carrots and peas in my bowl but yet I called the carrots "CORN". I have no idea why my mouth said "CORN" when they were clearly orange carrots, another brain "fart" I guess which is frustrating to me. I meet with the Occupational Therapist tomorrow just trying to relearn things for everyday living that we all take for granted (lol, have had no trouble cleaning my diamonds though).

Still occasionally have throbbing headaches and shooting pains at the incision site. Also found out by reading the neurosurgeon's notes that he also took a graft from my pericranium (to replace a section of cut dura) which might explain why some parts of my scalp are still so tender and sore. I also have 3 titanium plates and 14 screws in my head now. Jaw muscle is still sore too.

If anyone is interested, I found the description of my operation to be very fascinating since I was always curious as to what happens while one is under general anesthesia. They are included here:

<snip>>

Thank you for your continued "dust" and positive thoughts as I still have a long
road ahead of me.
Obviously the important things remain intact. ;-)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dust and hugs.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock

I am so thankful that you are doing so well. Hopefully those irritating "brain farts" will occur less often and disappear all together. Wow, that is kind of neat that you have the "play by play" print out of your operation. Remember to be patient with yourself as you go through this recovery period. Hang in there {{{{hugshugshugshugs}}}}!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock

Cflutist, wishing you a speedy, healthy recovery with great brain function restored :appl: :wavey:

I'll reserve more healing dust and good wishes just in case you might need them.

(((((((((((((((((((DUST&HUGSon RESERVE))))))))))))))

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm late to this, but I want to add my "dust" and prayers Cflutist. Rest and heal and celebrate life! You are an inspiration to all of us! All of these wonderful PSers here for each other. Feelin the love!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cflutist, I find your progress nothing short of miraculous. Wow. Much dust for your very speedy recovery. I am also amazed by the surgeons detailed notes on the procedure. It is really step by step. Quite fascinating, although it makes me hurt just reading it.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock

I am thinking about you. How are you doing?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PattyCo|1427917621|3855513 said:
I am thinking about you. How are you doing?

Well, I had another brain "fart" the other day.
This time I was talking about breakfast with a Facebook friend and posted that
"I had scrambled EYES and crumbled bacon for breakfast". She responds, EYES? :lol:
Well of course not, I had no excuse either as I was not using my phone or tablet so I
could not blame auto correct. Yes, I typed EYES but really meant EGGS, and I had no idea why I did that. :wall:

The Occupational Therapist has graduated me, she's happy that I can shower (but still need to sit in a chair), brush my teeth, eat, etc.
However she has told me to stay away from the cooktop, ovens, or knives for a little bit longer.

Have another appointment with the Physical Therapist tomorrow. Still having trouble with balance and coordination, but
have been able to walk with a trekking pole. She says that I only need to use my walker the first thing in the morning, or
if I have to go to the restroom in the middle of the night. That is wonderful news as using the walker was a pita but necessary for me to get around the house when I first got back from the hospital . She also said that I was doing very well considering that I am 3 weeks Post-Op at this time. As compared to many other brain surgery patients she has worked with, she would have thought that I was 5 weeks out had she not known my surgery date.

Still have pain to deal with in various places: throbbing headaches, an aching jaw from my cut/re-attached temporalis muscle,
shooting pains at the incision site, and hyper sensitivity at the suspected area of the bone flap. :angryfire: I'm just tired of
this and wish all of the pain would go away.

BTW, dear hubby is already kidding me about "having a screw loose in my head" since I have 3 titanium plates and 14 screws implanted in my skull now. I sure do hope none of them ever get loose as that would mean additional surgery.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results