shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs and scratched up phones...?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs scratch up the screens on my phones like crazy so I always put a protective cover one. The last two phones I had I used a cheapie plastic cover that attached by static (I think?) to the screen but when I got my iphone 6 I put on the "indestructible" glass one (I think it's tempered glass...?). Well two months in and the stud on my right side (which is the side I always hold my phone on) has eaten a HOLE in the protective cover! I could go back to the plastic version but the reason I got this one was because it is supposed to protect the screen if you ever drop or bang the phone, and the plastic ones don't offer any impact protection. Has anyone else had the problem with their phones getting scratched up from their earrings? And any recommendations on screen covers that with hold up against the earrings but still give some protection?

(And man, talk about something falling squarely into the category of First World Problems!)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How interesting. I have a protective cover on the glass too and it doesn't show any damage but I don't hold it against my ear that often. Usually it's on speaker or microphone earbuds.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't have that problem so I have no solution on phone covers. But I think you might be using the phone way more than the norm or your studs are really huge to have such a problem. But it's a good problem to have. :naughty: I think using a ear piece might be a way around it.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Diamond studs & cell phones here and I've never had this issue. Do you spend a lot of time talking on your cell phone?

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
Dee Jay I totally understand your problem, though I don't have a solution for you! I also have a glass screen protector on my iPhone that is very scratched up in a concentrated area below the speaker. I don't even talk on the phone very much! The only reason that I don't have a hole is because I have a new baby and I don't want to scratch him with my earrings, so I haven't been wearing them. I can commiserate with your problem though :).

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've not had that problem. I was more worried about putting the phone up to my ear with too much force and chipping a diamond. Iphones are known to be fairly easy to destroy so not surprised by the previous scratched screens, but I'm surprised that your earrings has eaten through the phone cover! Da da ta da - Super Studs!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't had that problem but my studs are only .45 each! I think your only recourse at t his point is to be conscious about not putting your phone right up to your ear, or using the speaker. Since you have already tried the screen savers that are supposed to be the most durable-your options are down to this. That's my take anyway. I will be careful though, when I do upgrade my studs!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I have the same problem. I typically find a cheap tempered glass screen cover for my phone, then replace as needed, but the iphone 6's curve won't allow that. I'm currently not using a screen protector. I do need to find something for it, so it doesn't get nasty.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have massive studs, about .50cts each, and my phone has a couple nasty scratches on it. I've talked on the phone maybe 5 times since I got it, and I'm really annoyed about it. (I really hate talking on the phone, and only do it when I can't use speakerphone because I'm in public or something. Former receptionist problems.) I'm probably going to go find one of those cheapy plastic covers that adheres to it, because I don't want to my phone to be ruined when it's 4 months old, after 10 conversations!

I currently have my studs sitting in the other room because I'm so irritated by this problem. Just in case someone should call, I'd hate to forget and gouge another hole into the phone!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry this happened Dee Jay and everyone else who has experienced this. I find that I cannot comfortably chat on any phone (mobile or landline) with any earrings. So if I am on the phone for more than a minute I remove my earring. Am I the only one who does this?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
How about getting a wireless headset/earbud so that you can avoid holding the phone up to your ear?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone who has replied, and my condolences to the others who are experiencing this problem!

I appreciate the headset suggestion but it's just not feasible to dig the thing out of my bag, often a tangle of wires, put that in, and get on with a conversation. There are also wireless headsets, but again I have to find it, get it on, and then talk. Doesn't seem like a ton of hassle, but when you're on the phone as many times a day as I am it becomes one unfortunately... And I don't want to walk around with the wireless headset on all the time -- I lived through the mid 90s once, and it wasn't a good look!

Part of the problem may be that I tend to multi-task (translation: do too many things at once, none of them well!) and I clamp the phone between my shoulder and ear, which must put a lot of pressure on the screen (or screen protector, in this case).

Kenny suggested Ghost Armor in another thread, and I will check that out, but otherwise I may have to just go back to my cheapie plastic static one so I don't ruin this phone...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should add that I use speaker phone in my car, so I don't talk with it clamped between my shoulder and ear when I drive!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had that issue before I went with bezel studs and found that the plasticy protectors held up better than any other ones. They didn't wear down AS fast...

I personally haven't met a glass one that I've liked. I've tried quite a few and I don't prefer them. Most don't cover the screen entirely, and if they do they have a gimmicky reason why and won't work with a case. Not a fan of them. I've had the best luck with Spigen's Ultra Crystal and the Tru Protection clear ones. Neither completely covers front glass as I'd prefer but they tend to hold up well.

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
The only thing I can say is that if you get an invisible shield brand screen protector (whichever material you prefer) they have a lifetime guarantee so if they get scratched up or cracked you can get a replacement just for the price of shipping (as long as you have that phone). I just did it actually and they send you an envelope to send them the damaged one back when they ship your replacement.

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
LuckyKelleyK|1423027006|3827039 said:
The only thing I can say is that if you get an invisible shield brand screen protector (whichever material you prefer) they have a lifetime guarantee so if they get scratched up or cracked you can get a replacement just for the price of shipping (as long as you have that phone). I just did it actually and they send you an envelope to send them the damaged one back when they ship your replacement.

This seems the most feasible solution considering you do not want to have wired or wireless headsets.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame, I took my phone down to IT and after they got done rolling their eyes and laughing at me they replaced my protector. They also said I can have as many replacements as I want as long as they can keep the ones with the diamond holes in them.

lucky, help me understand the timing -- you send your old cover back and they send you a new one (which means there's a gap of several days when you are cover-less) or they send you a new one and then you send the old one back (which seems like a risky move for them).

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
Dee*Jay|1423085236|3827391 said:
ame, I took my phone down to IT and after they got done rolling their eyes and laughing at me they replaced my protector. They also said I can have as many replacements as I want as long as they can keep the ones with the diamond holes in them.

lucky, help me understand the timing -- you send your old cover back and they send you a new one (which means there's a gap of several days when you are cover-less) or they send you a new one and then you send the old one back (which seems like a risky move for them).

They send you a new one first and you pay 5 dollars for shipping. If they don't receive the old one back within (I think) 30 days they charge your credit card the full price for a new one.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LuckyKelleyK|1423089161|3827422 said:
Dee*Jay|1423085236|3827391 said:

They send you a new one first and you pay 5 dollars for shipping. If they don't receive the old one back within (I think) 30 days they charge your credit card the full price for a new one.

Ah -- that makes sense, thank you!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size are your studs? I know I have seen them but can't remember what you said they were?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are 3.2 ct total, one is 1.62 and the other is 1.58. I wonder if the setting makes a difference? I have them in 3 prong martinis.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I think you need to offload those studs to me, and get a new pair that won't attack your phone. :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results