shape
carat
color
clarity

Shower/baby gifts

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My lead teacher at work is due the end of June, and it's their first baby. London and Trapper are 11 and 8 and I roll my eyes at myself but you know..things are different for babies than when I had my kids. When mom and I went to register when I was pg w/London, she pointed out all the things that were different than when I was born...now granted, 27 years is a lot more than 11 years but still...

What kinds of things have you guys gotten for your own babies or given for showers lately?

They don't know what they're having, so a couple of the things I'd like to do, I can't until the baby is born. I know they names they have picked out, but that still doesn't help there. I found a shop on etsy that will paint letters in whatever theme, and also will paint hanging plaques w/name, date, birth stats in whatever theme. They're doing Eric Carle in the nursery and he is her favorite children's author. I've found some other books of his online for the letters/plaques if I do that, so not everything is Hungry Caterpillar. One of them is a music book, and her husband is the band teacher, they're hugely musical. (they're the ones who directed Les Mis last summer that my daughter and I were in)

I found a squishy flower thing you put in the sink and then is like the bathtub to wash the baby in so you don't have the hard plastic tub.

We share an inappropriate sense of humor, so one thing I plan to get is the Go the F to Sleep book.

Any other ideas or suggestions? Doesn't matter if it's useful or fun or inappropriate. They already have the Eric Carle baby book. When I was pg w/London I bought myself a couple little board books-Guess How Much I Love You and I Love You as Much...so those would be nice..and any other books you guys may be aware of.

I did tell her I'm buying the baby a Star Trek onesie...and that I couldn't promise *not* to text her pics after I've drawn Spock brows on the baby when I babysit...b/c I didn't have Pinterest when I had my kids, all these awesome things I missed out on.

So anyway, shoot me some ideas!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Packrat, I'm interested in hearing the responses. I have a few baby showers to attend this summer. I just planned to buy items off their Babies R Us registry.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can never have enough bath stuff. I used to give Mustela gift sets and bath toys and a nice towel or hooded wrap thing. One thing I didn't know about or receive as a shower gift was a tub faucet cover. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/skip-hop-moby-bath-spout-cover/1016682250?mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bath_&adpos=1o4&creative=39230268109&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3M6oBRDnnIywo5i287ABEiQAXRm7S7TL5K11d9UP288YOz0gkVgSQDnJjx3qW-vmA_wVq30aAsFV8P8HAQ

It's useful after the baby can sit up and take a bath in a regular tub, keeps them from bumping their head on the hard metal or scraping their skin on the somewhat sharp edges. I used mine for over a year until she figured it out at about 18 months and wanted to take it off and play with it. But by then she had also figured out how to avoid smacking her noggin against the faucet.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that's cuuute! We had a frog one, but I don't remember where we got it, and had totally forgotten about it until seeing that!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love doing stuff like a diaper bag or sink-tub thing full of goodies. Pacifiers, teething stuff, baby nail care set, nose sucker, baby wascloths, burp cloths, 0-3/3-6/6-9 clothing, portable changing pad, etc.

Basically, I try to fill it with a combination of cute and useful stuff especially things they might not need for a few months so they have it when they need it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever I give for baby showers, I always like to include a book. My go-to is "Goodnight Gorilla," in the large-format board book. As to what to get in addition to the book... it depends on the parents' circumstances. If the parents aren't hurting for material things I usually give a homemade flannel blanket.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought myself that sink flower thing and I love it, I was breaking my back with one of those "portable" shower things.

Let's see, the best present we got were muslin blankets (the Aden + anais ones are great), 1 year old clothes and a manly diaper bag (ours is a dark navy/black Kipling)

The muslin blankets are so light weight and easy for swaddling, they are warm without being too warm, and they make covering up breastfeeding easy and great burp clothes. Something so simple but I love then. Probably could even just make some.

The one year old clothes because most people dont think to buy a pregnant woman that, so she's got a million 3 mo oldz a few 6 mo, but then one day your kid is too big for six mo and its like "bah what will they wear?!"

The manly diaper bag was the best gift because I didn't even think of it! My bag wasn't baby like, it was fationable and looked like a woman's purse... Why would my.husband want to carry that around? Then its great because you have two bags, dont have to worry about making sure your husband has your bag. Each get your own. The Kipling just looks like a simple messenger, but backpack ones are a good idea too

Eta:
Arkieb1 was nice enough to send me a Wondersuit for my son after he was born. I didn't get it. I was like "Wondersuit what's wonderful about it?!" Its just a sleeping onesie! But then I put W in it and its amazing! They have both hand and foot covers , not just hand ones to keep the baby from scratching. Also it has two zippers! Such a simple thing but it makes changing a baby at night so easy! Keeps the too part on, zip from the bottom and just pop his legs off. And the fabric is so soft and stretchy comfy.
Anyways for the life of me I couldn't find a US seller, so I didn't include it in the regular list, but if you found one buy one! They are surprisingly amazing. (Thanks arkieb1!)

Etaa:
A nice bottle of wine

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, sorry, one more, these are so cool, wood blocks in 20 different languages and other stuff. I think there's a us president one? Anyways they are made in the us (actually not far from me) and they are well made and adorable. Amazon has them I think. They are super cute.

https://unclegoose.com/

Ok I think I'm done now...W is back to sleep so I shall go as well :lol:

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
I have a 10 month old, and the most useful gifts I got were baby carriers (Ergo Baby/Baby Bjorn) and meal service subscriptions (I don't know if there's the likes of Munchery in your area?). We also loved a baby medicine kit, because we otherwise wouldn't have thought of it and it was great to have medicine on hand when she spiked a fever. Oh, and sleep sacks!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about looking for Eric Carle prints or postcards and framing them?

I found this site: http://www.oopsydaisy.com/store/artists/eric-carle-art-for-sale-1.html and you could also check Etsy, too. There are some really cute things on Etsy, and I think I've seen some VHC things at Target. Oooh, maybe ask someone to make a name plaque with the baby's name on it. The plaque could be Very Hungry Caterpillar-themed. That would be cute. Obviously that would need to wait until after the baby's born if they don't know what they're having.

Other than that, I usually stick to board books, clothes in a couple of different sizes, and items off the couple's registry.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter and daughter-in-law had showers at my house not so long ago. I can tell you that their wish lists really consisted of items on their registry. The next best thing was gift cards for the stores they were registered with. They both knew what they were having so the gender issue was not an issue at all and they received some really cute clothing. However, you can end up with way too many clothes in newborn size and not enough of everything else you need.

Since this is someone you work with and presumably everyone else at work will be attending, you could work with a few people to collect money to purchase one large baby item from her registry. It's always helpful to be able to cross some large baby items off of your list - car seat, stroller, etc.

I am sure this sounds boring and not so much fun to shop for but folks create registries for a reason. They have looked at what they might already have, what they might receive and use from someone else and determined that these are the things they really need and want. It is a sure bet that those items will be received and used with pleasure!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1427444698|3853129 said:
Ok, sorry, one more, these are so cool, wood blocks in 20 different languages and other stuff. I think there's a us president one? Anyways they are made in the us (actually not far from me) and they are well made and adorable. Amazon has them I think. They are super cute.

Oh.Em.Gee...Niel, THANK YOU for this link! I've been wracking my brain over what to get my best friend from college for her little one and THIS IS IT. Unique, useful, interesting, and personal. Not to mention we're all about things made in the Mitten! :dance:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vc10um|1427455885|3853155 said:

Oh.Em.Gee...Niel, THANK YOU for this link! I've been wracking my brain over what to get my best friend from college for her little one and THIS IS IT. Unique, useful, interesting, and personal. Not to mention we're all about things made in the Mitten! :dance:

Awesome! Aren't they adorable? M loved hers but some were lost in the line of duty so I think we'll get W a set.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
my go to gift for all my friends is the alcohol testing strips for breast milk....that is if they are breastfeeding. They always get a laugh out of it and i know they are dying for a drink after 9 months of pregnancy.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope new moms chime in here on a quick question I have. A good friend of mine has a daughter that is expecting. For her shower I was going to get the crib bedding set she requested on her registry. My reasoning was it was one of the more expensive items on the registry. She is young as are most of her friends. I doubt the younger girls will be able to afford to purchase it and she comes from a small family. I thought it would be better for me to buy her a larger ticket item and let her friends get the smaller ticket items. I have always assumed that if you put it on your registry it was an item you really wanted. I will also get her some 1 year old outfits as Niel suggested.
Niel, Do you think this will be fine?

Packrat, I am sorry for the threadjack.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Packrat, the one book I would suggest is Love you forever by Robert Munsch. Another idea is crib sheets, also like someone suggested you can get together with the others at work and get her a bassinette according to my daughter that was one of the best and most useful gifts she received.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1427500961|3853472 said:
I hope new moms chime in here on a quick question I have. A good friend of mine has a daughter that is expecting. For her shower I was going to get the crib bedding set she requested on her registry. My reasoning was it was one of the more expensive items on the registry. She is young as are most of her friends. I doubt the younger girls will be able to afford to purchase it and she comes from a small family. I thought it would be better for me to buy her a larger ticket item and let her friends get the smaller ticket items. I have always assumed that if you put it on your registry it was an item you really wanted. I will also get her some 1 year old outfits as Niel suggested.
Niel, Do you think this will be fine?

Packrat, I am sorry for the threadjack.

Are you worried about it looking like you spent too much? Of so, no, I think it's a great idea. With my first I was young, at my shower I was 22. My friends definitely didn't have money for my big ticket items. I actually felt uncomfortable putting them on there, but my mother said people often go in on the larger presents. Anyways, some family friends of my husband's ended up buying me the most expensive things. I didn't really know them all that well, but I thought it was very sweet, and I know it meant something to my mother in law.

Also, I thought of one more thing, and it sort of goes along with the 1 year clothes. A coat if you live in a cold climate. You'll have to do a little math to figure around what time they might need one, but its the worst when the first cold spell hits and you realize you dont actually have something to keep them warm.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! When my kids were little I *loved* clothes that had fold over hand things. One of my friends had a baby when London was a couple years old and I got fold over hands clothes and things like Tylenol/Ibuprofen/Mylicon drops/teething pills. Yikes-it's been a loooong time since I've bought baby gifts! It was easier then tho since it was so "fresh" in my head-this thread helps me remember the things I liked.

Do people still use car seat covers? When I was registering for London, my mom and I were like deer in headlights, and a woman happened to walk by w/her baby in a car seat w/a cover and stopped to show it to me and tell me to get one for use. My mom's like oh jeez that's just dumb-but I got one and loved it...but I don't know if they still have those or if they're on to more high tech gadgetry? hahahaha-seeing as how mom of course bemoaned the fact that *I* had it so much easier w/the new fangled baby gear, maybe they have Star Trek-y things now, who knows!

I am kind of thinking they won't be breastfeeding....but those blankets, are they like...gauze-y ones? I saw some on etsy a while back that I had favorited for when we redo our daughters room b/c they seemed so light and perfect instead of a sheet in warmer weather, and they said they were similar to that brand name of blanket.

I gave her a big fleecy blanket I'd been given at London's shower and a set of Eric Carle dinnerware last week. They haven't registered for anything yet-she's pretty overwhelmed and not sure what all they need. I'd asked if she had a diaper bag (I thought to have one made w/Eric Carle fabric) but she said she had only looked a little bit at them and didn't know what kind she wanted yet.

I like the idea of bigger size clothes..I'd forgotten a couple people had done that and it was really helpful, so nice to be reminded of that.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for replying Niel. I'm not worried about what anyone will think. Everyones knows I am a very close family friend. My thinking was most of the people invited will be around 22. As you mentioned, It will be extremely difficult for the girls to purchase the large ticket items unless they go in on the gift together. I know I would not have been able to afford the more expensive gifts at that age. Their families are also small so there will probably not be many people purchasing the more expensive items. I'm going to go ahead with my plan so she gets the baby's room set up the way she would like it to look. i will look for a snow suit for the winter months and some clothes in larger sizes too. Everyone has been asked to bring a baby book to the shower. Thank you for your reply. I'm now very comfortable with my decision regarding her gifts.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1427506887|3853523 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! When my kids were little I *loved* clothes that had fold over hand things. One of my friends had a baby when London was a couple years old and I got fold over hands clothes and things like Tylenol/Ibuprofen/Mylicon drops/teething pills. Yikes-it's been a loooong time since I've bought baby gifts! It was easier then tho since it was so "fresh" in my head-this thread helps me remember the things I liked.

Do people still use car seat covers? When I was registering for London, my mom and I were like deer in headlights, and a woman happened to walk by w/her baby in a car seat w/a cover and stopped to show it to me and tell me to get one for use. My mom's like oh jeez that's just dumb-but I got one and loved it...but I don't know if they still have those or if they're on to more high tech gadgetry? hahahaha-seeing as how mom of course bemoaned the fact that *I* had it so much easier w/the new fangled baby gear, maybe they have Star Trek-y things now, who knows!

I am kind of thinking they won't be breastfeeding....but those blankets, are they like...gauze-y ones? I saw some on etsy a while back that I had favorited for when we redo our daughters room b/c they seemed so light and perfect instead of a sheet in warmer weather, and they said they were similar to that brand name of blanket.

I gave her a big fleecy blanket I'd been given at London's shower and a set of Eric Carle dinnerware last week. They haven't registered for anything yet-she's pretty overwhelmed and not sure what all they need. I'd asked if she had a diaper bag (I thought to have one made w/Eric Carle fabric) but she said she had only looked a little bit at them and didn't know what kind she wanted yet.

I like the idea of bigger size clothes..I'd forgotten a couple people had done that and it was really helpful, so nice to be reminded of that.
as for car seat covers, I did for W but not M, but for reference it was 4 degrees when W was born, 105 when M was :lol: So thats something to think about. Sure theres rain, but not as much a concern about keeping them warm. Blanket suffice '

the blankets, year, they are like gauzey. I really like them because come summer its hot, i feel bad putting babies in hot blankets for swaddling, but these are so breezy and light weight, gets the feeling of being swaddle without as much warmth.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1427507971|3853535 said:
Thank you for replying Niel. I'm not worried about what anyone will think. Everyones knows I am a very close family friend. My thinking was most of the people invited will be around 22. As you mentioned, It will be extremely difficult for the girls to purchase the large ticket items unless they go in on the gift together. I know I would not have been able to afford the more expensive gifts at that age. Their families are also small so there will probably not be many people purchasing the more expensive items. I'm going to go ahead with my plan so she gets the baby's room set up the way she would like it to look. i will look for a snow suit for the winter months and some clothes in larger sizes too. Everyone has been asked to bring a baby book to the shower. Thank you for your reply. I'm now very comfortable with my decision regarding her gifts.

Oh sorry! I wasnt sure what was giving you reservations about buying the blanket. Whats nice is if you buy it, it wont have anyone else buy it, and i do think its always a good ide ato get something off the list. And hopefully the snow suits are on sale now!

you guys are both so sweet to be concerned about getting them something they will actually use. Not everyone does that.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmmmyeah when London was born it was November so we used the car seat cover. She's due end of June/beginning of July and it will be hot and humid, so one thing off the list!

So. I've found a memory board https://www.etsy.com/listing/106573281/on-sale-french-message-memo-board-kids?ref=favs_view_5

a rattle, window valance, waste basket, lamp shade....those last two I wonder how easy they'd be too keep clean tho b/c they're fabric on the outside. Oh, and a Christmas stocking.

this painting https://www.etsy.com/listing/169392450/hand-painted-canvas-inspired-by-papa?ref=favs_view_7

and a bunch of books..she's got a lot of them, but I thought about using some of the pages and framing them so not everything is Hungry Caterpillar. And the other things, I would ask if other fabrics of his were available too.

Then the stuff I found in the beginning and the other things mentioned in the thread. Luckily I've got some coworkers who would probably join in on things too..

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the web site for The Carle Museum's gift shop? Like the museum itself in Amherst, MA (full name: The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art), the gift shop isn't devoted to just his work, but it's a go-to for my Massachusetts friends and relatives when shopping for expectant/new parents & little tykes. E.g.,
http://shop.carlemuseum.org/category/gift-guides/baby-shower-gifts
http://shop.carlemuseum.org/category/fabric
http://shop.carlemuseum.org/category/books-dvds

(And the Museum is worth a visit if you ever find yourself in the Berkshires)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another big Thank You for sharing these with us! Just ordered 2 sets for upcoming gift-giving occasions (and am tempted to order the Ants set for my office coffee table :)) )

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about stuff for the mum & dad? Arrange an in-home massage, a babysitter for an hour once a week, a cleaner once a week for the first month, meals delivered for the first month etc... All my sisters were given lots of gifts for the baby such as clothes but said they found the "service" gifts were often the most useful. Said it was heaven to not worry about the cooking or cleaning for the first few weeks!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually make a really large receiving blanket for new moms. 45X45. The ones that they sell are always too small. I use two pieces of flannel and don't put any batting in the center. I used them for my kids in car seats and whenever we went out. They are soft and moldable and the kids loved them. I usually embroider something on one corner, and maybe a name if I know it. I always add something from their registry that is on the pricer side and a big box of diapers or two. I love to buy baby and wedding gifts. I feel like I am doing something for the new generation coming up. But really I just love buying people gifts in general.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1427736554|3854587 said:
I usually make a really large receiving blanket for new moms. 45X45. The ones that they sell are always too small. I use two pieces of flannel and don't put any batting in the center. I used them for my kids in car seats and whenever we went out. They are soft and moldable and the kids loved them. I usually embroider something on one corner, and maybe a name if I know it. I always add something from their registry that is on the pricer side and a big box of diapers or two. I love to buy baby and wedding gifts. I feel like I am doing something for the new generation coming up. But really I just love buying people gifts in general.

This sounds a lot like the blankets I make! I make mine bit smaller - about 39 inches - for newborns, and 45 inches for toddlers. They're always well-received (no pun intended). One recipient asked where he could buy more for his baby, so I whipped up a few more to give to him and his wife. If there's a youngster in the family who's about to transition from "only" to "sibling," I also make a big brother/big sister blanket when I can. The 45" size makes a great "wrap" for the kids to use during TV or story time.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids loved them and the new moms I have given them to seem to also. I always wanted to swaddle a little longer than I could with a receiving blanket, plus they are the perfect weight for nap time. Not to hot, but warm enough. I have made quite a few minky blankets but the fuzz that comes off when your are sewing them never leaves the sewing room! Plus they can be heavy. I make a few for a pregnancy center near me to give in their new mom bag of goodies too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results