shape
carat
color
clarity

Yoga anyone?

figaro

Rough_Rock
One of my new years resolutions (yes it's a bit late to get started but better late than never right?) was to try yoga---not only for improved flexibility but for relaxation and stress relief. I'm just looking for advice from those who do it regularly in terms of joining a studio vs trying a video, the best mat to start with, good workout clothes for yoga, etc. Anything helpful for a beginner would be much appreciated!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love yoga. I tried it a few years ago, just on a whim, and it was an instant love. I did 30 minutes daily a couple years ago, until I had gotten really sick, and then I quit and it was just hard to get back into.

I started w/Kathryn Budig's Aim True dvd-she is incredible. She's so happy and so...fricken adorable..but she's encouraging and she's like...I don't know, there's no you should be able to do this, or this is what you want to make sure you can do. It's more like, hey give it a whirl, see what happens. She's big on humor, finding the humor in your practice and enjoying it. Some poses are hard and the good instructors will point out that it's called a "practice" for a reason. Doesn't matter how long you've been doing it, how good you are, how fantastical your balance is--you're going to wobble and tip over at some point, so find the humor in it and try it again.

I've got Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown (and another one..Yoga Inferno but I haven't tried that yet) and I really like that one too-you move through the poses faster, to add in some aerobic activity to it. It's fun-she jokes around w/the two women that are the modifiers and the time goes fast.

I also have the Ultimate Yogi, which is 12 dvd's and the instructor is Travis Elliot. He's more um...New Age-y/Spiritual for lack of a better description, and the his practice will Kick.your.ass. But it feels good. He incorporates some other types of yoga w/his series, like one dvd is I think 7 poses, and the practice is an hour long-so you hold those poses really long and deep. He is teaching a class in each of the dvd's, and even tho they're really long, and exhausting (in a good way), it's interesting to watch the class, see the different body types, the different levels of flexibility. His voice drives my husband nuts, so he doesn't even like to be in a room w/in hearing range when I've done it.

I also recently bought Piyo, which is a combo of pilates and yoga, but I haven't tried it yet.

Dang, I really need to get back into this. You forget how incredible it makes you feel. And it is very much a de-stressor. You're so busy trying to find your pose, hold it, not fall, pay attention, feel what you're feeling, there is just no room for any crap in your head.

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
figaro|1427407679|3852890 said:
One of my new years resolutions (yes it's a bit late to get started but better late than never right?) was to try yoga---not only for improved flexibility but for relaxation and stress relief. I'm just looking for advice from those who do it regularly in terms of joining a studio vs trying a video, the best mat to start with, good workout clothes for yoga, etc. Anything helpful for a beginner would be much appreciated!
If you're looking for relaxation/stress, I'd recommend going to a studio. There's nothing like getting away from the hustle and bustle of home to a "retreat", if that makes sense. I'd specifically look for yin classes (yin classes at a hot yoga studio are by far my favorite). They're not so much aerobic workouts, but slower paced and focused on holding poses for longer to increase flexibility.

As for mats, I love my Jade mat.

It's easy to get caught up in buying EVERYTHING (clothes, mat, props, bolsters, etc.) but it's worth holding off to see if you really love it first.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a studio, but if I can't make it I really enjoy the free videos on doyogawithme.com

If you go to a studio you just need a mat as they should have props. Some people use 2 mats or a blanket to have additional padding for their knees.

Clothes, I just recommend slightly snug and long Tees that will stay in place as you move as I hate feeling a draft on my midsection. If you go to a studio some run hot and others cool so you may want to see what the norm is before you commit.

Good luck!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a studio, but if I can't make it I really enjoy the free videos on doyogawithme.com

If you go to a studio you just need a mat as they should have props. Some people use 2 mats or a blanket to have additional padding for their knees.

Clothes, I just recommend slightly snug and long Tees that will stay in place as you move as I hate feeling a draft on my midsection. If you go to a studio some run hot and others cool so you may want to see what the norm is before you commit.

Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results