shape
carat
color
clarity

Freshadama vs AAA vs Metallics

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been researching buying a freshwater pearl bracelet, rope and pendant-white with the faint pinkish color. Very traditional. I understand that Freshadama is PP's top of line freshwater pearls. AAA is the best for other jewelers. Is there a difference other than the trade name? Also, I love the luster of the metallics. Since Freshadama and AAA are supposed to have the best luster-how does the metallic compare? Does the 'mirror-like' affect the luster? Is there a difference in orient between these and the metallics? I am looking in the 9.5 and bigger size. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'm certainly no expert, and I really think you'd need to see them all side-by-side ... but, I do own a pair of white metallic drop earrings, and I think they look like they've been dipped in skim milk. There's an extra translucence, like a soap-bubble glow.

As for "AAA," there is no standardized grading system for pearls. One vendor's AAA is another vendor's AA. I take the A's with a grain of salt.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's what I would suggest. Use the live chat function at PP and ask them to email you a photo of the Freshadama, AAA, and metallics side by side. They did the exact same thing for me when I was wondering about the difference between their Freshadama, AAA, and AAA akoya strands. It was really helpful to see them all together to see what the similarities/differences really were.

As for Freshadama vs Gem Grade vs High Quality Freshwater (and the other names given by the different vendors to their top grades of freshwater pearls), you may need to spend the money up front to buy a strand of each, and then send back the ones that you don't like best for a refund. It's probably the only way to tell the difference between vendors, as there is no universal grading system. If you do this, take pictures and share them here, as it is a common question.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The metallic whites have the best luster, but the Freshadama (and similar top of the line FWP from the other vendors) are rounder.
Also, there are not a lot of the metallic whites around in larger sizes.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Metallics that meet the criteria to be graded as Freshadamas are even rarer, however, they do exist from time to time.

DK :))

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I know the OP said 9.5mm, but I'd suggest a smaller size for the rope. Smaller pearls are easier to play with, knotting, looping, lariats, etc.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Yes there is a difference between Freshadama and AAA. Go to PP's website and look at the education section.

These are made from Earring grade pearls, not necklace grade pearls.

Freshadama-grade pearls are loose-grade pearls, or pearls that have been selected individually prior to drilling and polishing for their exceptional quality characteristics. These pearls are typically sold wholesale as single pearls and pairs, undrilled. Freshadama™ strands are composed of these pearls; drilled and matched by us.

Highest grade of freshwater pearl
Exhibit intense luster and deeply reflective orient
Round
Clean surface
Top .01% of freshwater pearls produced today
Excellent matching

AAA
Highest non-loose pearl grade available in the market
Exhibit excellent luster
Round to the eye
Clean surface
Top 1% of freshwater pearls produced today
Excellent matching

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Based on that information, sounds like Freshadama for the earrings, and AAA for the rope and bracelet?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is what I would do.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the picture that PP was so generous in sending me. The top strand is freshadama, the middle is AAA freshwater, and the bottom is AAA akoya. I love akoyas, but was looking for a less expensive option for a few pieces that I have in mind. Based on this, I personally decided to save up for freshadamas....but in the size that you are looking for and the length, I suspect that will be a bit pricey. If it was for me, I'd look at a smaller size pearl for the rope and bracelet, and keep the earrings and pendant large. Especially since with a rope you are likely to double it or triple it at some point, and that gives quite a substantial look, even with slightly smaller pearls.

pp_freshadamas_vs_aaa_vs_akoya_small.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
So, it's pretty vs pretty vs pretty? :drool:

I like the Akoyas the best, but the others are certainly comparable.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are also several threads at the other site that talk about this and lots of photos that compare the different strands for colour and luster. Worth looking at ... it can be quite confusing when there seem to be several different types of 'round white pearls' .
They will all be beautiful ...but it's good to get an idea of what you are getting for the money so you understand the difference in price and why some cost more than others. Then you can more easily decide which attributes are the most important to you.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the OP was considering akoyas, actually-- just different types/grades of FWP.

Freshadama is the brand name used by PP, which was the first to carry the earring grade FWP, but other vendors also carry this grade or pearls and have their own names for them.

AAA freshwaters are just a little step below those in luster and surface cleanliness, but are also excellent for use as, say, a bracelet, which will tend to get more banging around while being worn. But I would think AAA earrings are pretty close to Freshadama earrings since they, too are earring grade (obviously).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results