shape
carat
color
clarity

In search of a 3+ct cushion cut! Yay!

ESNP

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

First I want to thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer in my search for an engagement ring! My boyfriend has given me a budget and said I can choose whatever I want within that budget. The budget is 20k. Please let me know if you think it is possible to find what I desire within this budget. I have been looking in the jewelry stores and have narrowed down what I want.

Of note, the boyfriend is Canadian and has a "family friend jeweler" who we will be going to visit in Canada in June. Our budget there would be 25k CAD. If we can find something better/within the budget in the US, we will consider that too. What I like:

Band: Very thin micropave in platinum
Stone:I would like a solitaire cushion cut, I prefer the rectangular cushion. I would like the center stone to be 3ct minimum. I saw a 3.70 carat stone in a store that I absolutely loved, but it was only 24k. Is it really possible to get a quality stone of that size for that price? What about within my 20k budget?

Basically, I want a very simple ring with a large stone. Will I be able to find a cushion cut at or near 3.5ct within my budget? The budget should include the micropave band as well. Let me know your thoughts!

I am willing to go down to a J in color and a SI2 in clarity to accommodate a large center stone.
I can post pictures of the 3.70 ring I liked in the store if you all would be interested. I look forward to hearing from you, thanks!

ESNP

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427122384|3851292 said:
Hi All,

First I want to thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer in my search for an engagement ring! My boyfriend has given me a budget and said I can choose whatever I want within that budget. The budget is 20k. Please let me know if you think it is possible to find what I desire within this budget. I have been looking in the jewelry stores and have narrowed down what I want.

Of note, the boyfriend is Canadian and has a "family friend jeweler" who we will be going to visit in Canada in June. Our budget there would be 25k CAD. If we can find something better/within the budget in the US, we will consider that too. What I like:

Band: Very thin micropave in platinum
Stone:I would like a solitaire cushion cut, I prefer the rectangular cushion. I would like the center stone to be 3ct minimum. I saw a 3.70 carat stone in a store that I absolutely loved, but it was only 24k. Is it really possible to get a quality stone of that size for that price? What about within my 20k budget?

Basically, I want a very simple ring with a large stone. Will I be able to find a cushion cut at or near 3.5ct within my budget? The budget should include the micropave band as well. Let me know your thoughts!

I am willing to go down to a J in color and a SI2 in clarity to accommodate a large center stone.
I can post pictures of the 3.70 ring I liked in the store if you all would be interested. I look forward to hearing from you, thanks!

ESNP

Hi ESNP :wavey:

I think it would be extremely difficult to find a stone of that size in a J color that will be within your budget. That said, cushions tend to face up smaller than other shapes. Would you consider other shapes that tend to face up larger than their carat weight would indicate, like a marquise or an oval?

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I did a quick search on james Allen, goodoldgold, and brilliantly engaged and there was nothing worth recommending even going to K.

If size is your thing, have you considered a vintage stone? These are a little lower in color, but wanted to give you another option. Grace also might have additional stones that aren't on her website yet that she could offer you.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/loose-diamond-2-01cts-and-larger#.VRCBd0dHaK0

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/3-01-ct-and-up/3-48ct-antique-cushion-cut-gia-s-t-si1#.VRCA-kdHaK0
(Kind of a wonky stone, but could be fun in a halo or east/west setting).

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
As a Canadian, I can tell you that you will have far better luck finding a stone in the US.

Perhaps Adam from Old World Diamonds can help too.

ESNP

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for responding to my post! This forum is really amazing and helpful.

MSOP04 - I really don't like marquise, but I would consider oval. I need to try oval on to see how I like it on my finger. I do also like round stones. Do you think a 3.0ct is doable in cushion when compared with a 3.5? What was the deal with this 3.7 stone they showed me? Bad apple? I will attach pictures of it!

Travelgal - I would definitely consider vintage and even second-hand. Thanks for finding some stones for me! The first one is nice but it is more of a square cushion - I think I like the rectangular cushion better. I do like the chunky facets though. I love the shape of the second cushion but I think it might be a little too colorful. Than you again :)

Two little birds - Any insight in to why it will be easier to find a stone in the US vs Canada (Calgary)? Thanks in advance.

I am going to attach pictures of the stone I liked that I found in a store. Let me know your thoughts. I am really curious why it was priced so low (24ish for the rock) given its size?

Thank you everyone, I welcome more comments.

img_7207.jpg

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
A photo is hard to judge by, but it looks like you're going for a modern cushion (crushed ice look).

Also the colour on that diamond looks fairly low.

Perhaps the price is low because it's an EGL stone?

Do you have a copy of the certificate grading or certificate #.

What is the name of this store? With a fancy cut stone, you really need to see magnified images and ASET images. ASET's being KEY!

Most PS'ers here, will only buy from a recommended vendor. Plus will only buy GIA or AGS certed stones.

CUT IS KING. The below information is taken from a fellow PS'er Gypsy...

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. And GIA Ex is not enough. And you must stick to GIA and AGS only. EGL is a bad option:https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-certification-are-any-of-them-ok.142863/
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex, and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. 2.6 and over is a no. No score 2 and under is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.
So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. BGD, James Allen, GOG, HPD, ERD and WF do.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you. That's why they trade at a premium

ESNP

Rough_Rock
WLP54 - Thank you, that stone looks very similar to the one I saw but it is SO hard to tell online. I will show this one to the BF, thanks for the legwork :)

two_little_birds - Thank you so much for the education. I believe I specified that I wanted GIA certification at the store (It was Smyth in Maryland). The strange thing is I asked about cut and he said cushions arent graded by cut? I thought the "crushed-ice look" is less desirable? I believe the gentleman who did that GoodOldGold/PriceScope cushion cut video said this. Honestly, I am not 100% set on the modern, I like the vintage too, I just need to see more! I would say I'm not that hard to please but I'm sure my BF would say otherwise :D

The color on that diamond was a J but yes I know what you mean there is quite a bit of yellow in it. You may be right - maybe it was EGL. I can call and ask.

I would like to purchase from a recommended vendor here, however it may have to wait until after the early June trip to Canada because my boyfriend first wants to see what his Canadian guy comes up with. He did his sister's engagement ring and she was very happy with the work and trusted him. His family buys jewelry from him so the thinking is that perhaps he wont take much of a profit margin because we will bring future business. That being said, I am very interested in buying online too, albeit a little nervous.

Thanks again!

ESNP

Rough_Rock
Correction - the store said that diamond was an I in color, not a J, and it was SI3

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
ESNP|1427211468|3851777 said:
Correction - the store said that diamond was an I in color, not a J, and it was SI3

Not a GIA-certed stone.

SI3 doesn't even exist in the GIA system. GIA would call this I1, at best.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427203759|3851724 said:
Thank you so much for responding to my post! This forum is really amazing and helpful.

MSOP04 - I really don't like marquise, but I would consider oval. I need to try oval on to see how I like it on my finger. I do also like round stones. Do you think a 3.0ct is doable in cushion when compared with a 3.5? What was the deal with this 3.7 stone they showed me? Bad apple? I will attach pictures of it!

Gosh, I just don't think so... not unless you got a preloved or lower color. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to loving size! I have a 2.43 MRB, but would love a 3.5 someday... it's just not gonna happen for less than $35K, unfortunately.

Ovals are tough to find in a nice cut, and they tend to show a bit more tint than rounds, but PS members can help. I don't think you're gonna get close to a 3.5 ct stone, but if you change some of your specs, you may be able to get closer to a 3ct??

Try some ovals on and see if you like the look on your finger. Do you like them long and lean or cute and chubby?? Then, get an idea of the DIMENSIONS (LxW) you would like to shoot for -- not carat weight. After that, post your findings and hopefully we can help! :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Travelgal|1427215232|3851800 said:
This is a little over budget, but it may be worth looking into.

http://oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.php?ID=469&SHAPE=OM

This is lovely, but just know that it (as most cushions) will face up smaller than other cuts of similar weights. This would face up smaller than a 2.5 ct round (about 8.9 mm), since it is 8.86 x 7.80...

Is it important to you to hit the 3 ct mark, or are you just wanting the largest size you can get with your budget??

ESNP

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Will look at the links shortly, I'm sneaking on here while I should be doing work ;-)

It doesn't have to be 3ct on the head, originally I was going to look at 2.5-3ct but then I tried on some of the larger stones and I just loved the way they looked. So yes, size probably ranks highest in importance. I would be willing to compromise on the other specs with your guidance, of course. I only picked J as my lowest color because thats how low Cartier/Tiffanys goes so I figured it was safe to go that low..I also don't care if a stone is included if you can't see it without loops!

ESNP

Rough_Rock
I hope this doesnt sound dense but..can you explain what you mean when you say it would "face up" smaller? Thanks.

ESNP

Rough_Rock
MSOP - I love that stone! We don't need to "save" up more for a band per se, in all honestly we can afford more and will pay up front but BF set the limit at 20k. Believe me, it was a pleasant surprise that he even agreed to that amount! So it's more based on principle, but perhaps I could get him to go a little above the 20k. There is a good chance he will stand hard and fast on the limit though. He is anti-diamond for multiple reasons and is doing this for me, etc...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427216883|3851816 said:
I hope this doesnt sound dense but..can you explain what you mean when you say it would "face up" smaller? Thanks.

NP! Some cuts carry more weight in the bottom, so what you "see" looks smaller, since we see size and not weight... For example, a 3 ct asscher will face up much smaller than a 3 ct round. Hope that makes sense. :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427217116|3851818 said:
MSOP - I love that stone! We don't need to "save" up more for a band per se, in all honestly we can afford more and will pay up front but BF set the limit at 20k. Believe me, it was a pleasant surprise that he even agreed to that amount! So it's more based on principle, but perhaps I could get him to go a little above the 20k. There is a good chance he will stand hard and fast on the limit though. He is anti-diamond for multiple reasons and is doing this for me, etc...

I get you, ESNP!! And $20K is an AMAZING budget to have -- #firstworldproblems right here!! :lol: ;))

You'll be able to find a very nice stone in your budget, so don't fret!! Remember, cushions will look smaller than rounds and ovals of the same weight, so what you liked in a 3-3.5ct cushion would be like seeing a 2.5 ct round/oval. See!! Good news!! :bigsmile:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

If you love that stone from OWD you could always mAKE AN OFFER ON IT to hit your budget. Sometimes that works.

Annette

ESNP

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice Smitcompton! Are dealers generally open to taking "best offer"?

MSOP - I see you're a glass is half-full type :) So the thing is, while you say that a 2.5 round/oval looks the same as a 3ct cushion, aren't rounds generally more expensive? So although a 2.5ct round solitaire may look like a 3ct cushion, they could be the same price? Is this a correct assumption? Thanks! And yes...definitely a first world problem! Have to mentally convince myself to stop being a brat every time I consider asking for more ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ESNP|1427220180|3851860 said:
Thanks for the advice Smitcompton! Are dealers generally open to taking "best offer"?

MSOP - I see you're a glass is half-full type :) So the thing is, while you say that a 2.5 round/oval looks the same as a 3ct cushion, aren't rounds generally more expensive? So although a 2.5ct round solitaire may look like a 3ct cushion, they could be the same price? Is this a correct assumption? Thanks! And yes...definitely a first world problem! Have to mentally convince myself to stop being a brat every time I consider asking for more ;-)

Yes, it is... but it may be easier to find a 2.5 round in budget, simply bc there are so many out there and they are easier to narrow down... there is also the OEC market for an even better deal. Rounds (esp OECs) don't show as much tint as cushions or ovals, so a lower color may be tolerable for you, thus keeping the price in check. :))

NO!! You're not being a brat, I promise!! ...we want what we want, that is all. ;)) :halo:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I'd like to add that if you're okay with a J in a cushion, then you'd most likely be okay with a K in a GIA round... I know you said solitaire, but... the way you set your stone will have an effect on how much tint shows, i.e. if it's set in such a way that exposes the side view, then you will see everything, but if it's set such that the side view is somewhat hidden (halo, intricate basket, etc), you will be doing the majority of viewing from the face up, which will make it appear whiter. You could still do a soli, only with an ornate basket to "camouflage" the side view a bit. :naughty:

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am not a cushion lover, but i quite like te first cushion. It also faces up nicely. The second one faces up smaller. The third one will most likely not eye clean with those huge carbon spots right under the table.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dizzie|1427228050|3851913 said:
I am not a cushion lover, but i quite like te first cushion. It also faces up nicely. The second one faces up smaller. The third one will most likely not eye clean with those huge carbon spots right under the table.

I agree with Dizzie... the first one is the best cut of the three (I'm no expert, but it looks to be a very nicely cut cushion)... however, it will show tint. If you are A-OK with that, then it would definitely be worth looking into! I would put it on hold if you're serious. :))

I think this would look amazing in an "antique-y" type setting!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I would go to a reputable jewelry store that carries GIA certed stones and look at several of their cushions in this color. If they had one with a similar faceting pattern, that would be great.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
None of those three is great. the first is the best. Get an ASET but prepare to be underwhelmed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results