color
clarity

How to keep neighborhood dog from pooping on our property

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How to keep neighborhood dog from pooping on our propert

HI:

Any chance these pooches/wild animals ;)) are loose? Let out on their own?

Dogs/cats have a pattern--they may be let out and come home when they are "done".

Maybe that is why no one can catch a person...and animals don't read or use poo bags...

cheers--Sharon

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium

azstonie|1426894096|3850376 said:
When I lived in Juneau we had BEAR poop in our yard! Think frisbee sized with clearly recognizable chunks in it.

Ha ha we have wild Emu's pooping on our front lawn - they are the size of cow pats!!! :-o

The curry/chilli powder can be sprinked on the lawn so it'll settle into the grass and I suggest spraying around the concrete with something stinky like citronella or tea tree oil. You may need to top up frequently if it rains a lot.

I also like the idea of a sign or maybe a fake CCTV camera? :naughty:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So here's my personal experience.

I live in an area without sidewalks. Its a side street so it's yard then road. My dog is a prissy little SOB and won't poop in his own yard so we walk him. I try to make it to the forested lot near our home so no one has to see him poop in their yard. Of course I clean it up I'm not an ass. Sometimes he doesn't make it and poops right at the edge of the road in someone's yard. Again, I clean it up I'm no ass. I can remember one day last year I was walking my dog in a blizzard because, like I said he's an SOB and won't just go on a leash outside :rolleyes:
I got to my neighbors yard and he pooped. I was out of bags. I remember walking back to my house to get some, then going BACK to their house at 10 in a blizzard go pick up his poop.
I've also had a guy come out of their house to yell at me for it. Its like I'm sorry but I make sure he's right near the road and I pick up everything! Are you going to sit outside and yell at the squirrels too?

Anyway, rant over.... My point was, I think the neighbors with the blizzard saw me leave the poop there (but not come back for it) because they soon after put this tacky sign in there yard with a dog squatting and a big red line though it. I was nice enough to walk Mort on the other side of the road after that sense clearly if they went to such great length to spend money to stick such a tacky sign in their yard, I wasn't going to push it.

I know you're talking about people who dont clean up after their pets. But I had to rant. People do it to us from time to time, I try and chalk it up to them being out of bags. This guy/gal aounds like a jerk though

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hera|1427076460|3851157 said:
Some people have no shame. I used to post signs to not let dogs poop but they would STILL let them. It's those early morning risers that would do it in my area. I'd try to find a sign that said there were chemicals in the lawn that are poisonous to dogs or something.
Those signs are the best way to keep a dog off your lawn, in my opinion.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

monarch64|1427077620|3851160 said:
azstonie|1426894096|3850376 said:
When I lived in Juneau we had BEAR poop in our yard! Think frisbee sized with clearly recognizable chunks in it.

Ha! I can imagine--I grew up on a farm and they don't call them "cow pies" for nothing...

I don't live in the country but in a neighborhood with acre lots that allows for horses. My neighbors' horse and donkey got loose and ended up in my backyard. I spent the 10 minutes it took to round them up PRAYING that they would not poop in my yard.

I feel for you on the mystery pooper. In college the chick below us would just open her door and let her dog out to poop and pee in the grass right next to her door. Even after multiple complaints to management it took her moving out for the problem to stop. Even more upsetting to me than the poop was the fact that when she let the dog out it would roam. Our apartment was one block off campus and the dog would follow us up to campus and was constantly in a very busy street. I can't stand irresponsible pet owners.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My first thought was to get predator urine pellets and sprinkle it on your yard. The dog would take one whiff and never want to use the yard again. The trick would be to choose the right predator. Don't choose coyote because they are dogs and the neighbor's dog will actually be more attracted to the yard. I'm thinking mountain lion urine. In my mind, that predator probably scares everything.

Of course, this option would have to be researched.

If it were me, I think I would try signs first. If the individual were such a jerk that they disregarded the signs and allowed their dog to use your grass anyway, that is when I would try other means.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock

Lil Misfit|1426895833|3850388 said:
Dee*Jay|1426881696|3850253 said:
blackprophet|1426879145|3850219 said:
You said there are signs from the City.

Could you not call in a by-law officer, or city inspector? If you made the complaint, they would have to come out and monitor the situation. The officer being around might deter the person too.

LOL, Blackprophet, please don't be offended by my comment but I live in Chicago too and trust me, it's hard enough to wrangle a cop to the scene when there's a mass murder let alone when there's a dog pooping on the lawn. Now if that dog was leaving its business outside the front door of a donut shop every officer in town would be all over it!

Ha ha! So true. I can't even get the police to come when I call about the brass band next door having practice at 11:30pm on a Tuesday night! :lol: :lol: They're definitely not going to come out for dog poop.

And, there are signs put up by the city that say to clean up after your dog because dog waste attracts rats and that there's a fine if you don't. This person does not care.

I was wondering about this. Guess it is different here.

Here, it wouldn't be the police you call. Just like it isn't the police writing parking tickets, it isn't the police investigation minor by-law violations. You would call the city to report this. Cities have specific enforcement officers that would write a fine for something like that.

Too bad you don't have something like that. I bet they would care if they got that fine and knew the area was being watched.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results